Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2012, 21:28   #3496
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Thanks for clarifying about the Cedia part, I think R2D2 also got his answer now

Anyhow, could I just request you to update this thread on the prices that you are quoted for Castrol Edge & Petronas products. Also, which particular oil from Petronas are you looking at, because I couldn't find any India spec site on the Internet from this company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Cedia is still under warranty so is on prescribed diet.

I would gladly change everything to Shell but the problem is with the availability of stock in Dilli, Motul is even worse in terms of availability. Mobil 1 somehow does not find favour with me.

PS : I just might try out Castrol's Edge, if I can get the made in England packs with a manufacturing date within a cut off period of 6 months from date. Will go to Pallika Bhawan later this weekend and try to get a good deal.
Old 28th June 2012, 22:26   #3497
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Thanks for clarifying about the Cedia part, I think R2D2 also got his answer now
BTW, I have been using Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 in my car for close to 3 years now - an Altis due to the same reason as Khoj i.e. warranty. But the car is now out of warranty. For me, deciding between Mobil 1 and SHU is like deciding between Fanta and Mirinda.

SHU goes out of stock once in a while as it is imported from Singapore and Qatar. It is pretty popular with Skoda/VW owners as it's the recommended oil.

I had bought 2 cans 5W-40 API SM/CF spec in 2011 which will last me till Sept 2013 as my car requires a service every 12 months or 10K kms. SHU is now specced at the latest API SN level.

I'd have tried Mobil 1 if they offered 5W-40 required by Toyota. Toyota has since revised the oil recommendation to 5W-30 mineral for all their cars in India including diesels (Mobil India, are you listening?). I prefer SHU to OEM mineral/synth and will continue using this engine oil for a while.

Last edited by R2D2 : 28th June 2012 at 22:28.
Old 29th June 2012, 07:57   #3498
Senior - BHPian

My comments inline below

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
For me, deciding between Mobil 1 and SHU is like deciding between Fanta and Mirinda.

Precisely my thoughts as well. Both are actually similar, even in terms of the specs if you compare their data-sheets. And that essentially makes me believe that either the Mobil may just be using a thicker base oil compared to SHU or that it may have some percentage of PAOs while the SHU doesn't.
The thing is that Shell & Mobil have not been kind enough to give out the details on this aspect & so, it's anybody's wild guess.

SHU is now specced at the latest API SN level.

You are right. I also read that the API SM spec'd SHU was known to have foaming problems in Ferrari engines & I believe that more than anything else, Shell has done something to correct that. It is probably as part of this correction that the SHU became API SN in March or April this year & I am hoping it would be better than before.

I'd have tried Mobil 1 if they offered 5W-40 required by Toyota. Toyota has since revised the oil recommendation to 5W-30 mineral for all their cars in India including diesels (Mobil India, are you listening?). I prefer SHU to OEM mineral/synth and will continue using this engine oil for a while.

Actually, that's my problem right there. We do not have a whole lot of worthy options available in 5W30. In case, you know of some good diesel spec 5W30, or 5W40, or even 10W40 oils (semi-synth or fully-synth), then please share the details here.
Old 29th June 2012, 10:41   #3499
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
My comments inline below

I haven't heard of foaming in Ferrari engines, possibly in some engine models. SHU is one of the (or the only) Ferrari recommended oil. Something that Shell proudly trumpets including printing the Ferrari logo on the retail SHU pack.

IIRC, Mobil Delvac 1 is the preferred oil for diesels. If you are interested in diesel engine oils this is the thread that you may want to check:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...gine-oils.html

Also, Mobil Delvac 1 (synthetic) is offered in 5W-40 and Delvac Super in 15W-40 grades, the latter I think is a mineral oil. Availability is an issue with Delvac 1.

Mobil Products

Hope this helps.
Old 29th June 2012, 15:49   #3500

generally speaking use what the manufacturer recommends. Mineral oils are good for classic cars as they help the bearings. For modern cars, manufacturer recommended oil or equivalent will do. There is a company in bangalore that deals in mineral oils
Old 29th June 2012, 19:56   #3501
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun ananth View Post
generally speaking use what the manufacturer recommends. Mineral oils are good for classic cars as they help the bearings. For modern cars, manufacturer recommended oil or equivalent will do. There is a company in bangalore that deals in mineral oils
I beg to disagree. Almost every manufacturer has Mineral Oils, even going up to API-SM. There is no truth in the story that mineral oils are good for bearings. I guess you are not talking of classics (as in Veteran).

The issue is the viscosity, and these golden oldies are not built to tolerances which will allow a thin oil to be used. Also, their oil requirements are minimal in terms of specs. So you must use a fixed viscosity juice.

Using an oil exceeding the mfrs recos does no harm, except may be to your purse. If you want to do so for peace of mind please yourself.
Old 30th June 2012, 16:22   #3502
BHPian

The oil changes in my accent GLE (2008) have been done at the Hyundai A.S.S till date...
I am now interested in getting the oil change done by the local mechanic.
Which is the best oil (mineral) I can go for .. and its cost? Please also specify the W rating..
Old 30th June 2012, 16:30   #3503
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbaruas View Post
Which is the best oil (mineral) I can go for .. and its cost? Please also specify the W rating..
You should be able to pick up a Mineral oil with 20W40 or 20W50 specs. I doubt you will get 10Wxx in minerals. I used Petronas Mach 6 once in my Accent 1.5. That time it was API-SM. Later they cut the price and dropped it to API-SG. Get any oil at API-SL.
Old 30th June 2012, 16:31   #3504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbaruas View Post
The oil changes in my accent GLE (2008) have been done at the Hyundai A.S.S till date...
Shell Helix HX-5, 15W40, API-SL, Mineral. The best mineral oil IMO, and costs ~ Rs 250.. per litre. Do it with your local mechanic, provided you can get the original oil filter outside the A.S.S.
Old 1st July 2012, 14:53   #3505
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Shell Helix HX-5, 15W40, API-SL, Mineral. The best mineral oil IMO, and costs ~ Rs 250.. per litre. Do it with your local mechanic, provided you can get the original oil filter outside the A.S.S.
Ido not think Hyundai spares are such a big hassle, OE, Purolator, Elofic etc. are all Ok. Also, a small mistake I should have said Mach 5 and not Mach 6!
Old 1st July 2012, 19:32   #3506
BHPian

Mod Note : Do NOT personally attack members. WATCH the tone

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjun ananth
Arent modern cars without bearings??? Which is the bangalore company that deals in mineral oils????? i guess we should understand that India runs on mineral oils for 99% of its oil sold.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd July 2012 at 13:32. Reason: Do NOT personally attack members. WATCH the tone
gopa99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 20:36   #3507
Distinguished - BHPian

I am no mod on TBHP - though I have been on other BBSes and internet fora since 1995-96. A mod does not ascertain technical accuracy or otherwise of each post. That's left to the OP after all it's his/her credibility at stake.

Therefore, while you may have your point of view, instead of ridiculing his statements/post why don't you try and correct misconceptions of arjun ananth and others?

I am sure your experience in lube research will add a lot of value to this thread.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd July 2012 at 13:33. Reason: Removing quoted post which has been edited
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 20:48   #3508
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
Arent modern cars without bearings??? .
Whoa!
Thats news to me. Sir, I dont intend to take sides here as I have no experience with lubricants other than getting the can and filling it into the car. But we must not post statements in an impulsive manner. The mods cannot scrutinise each post for its authenticity. Rather it is up to members to discuss what is true and what is not.

Last edited by audioholic : 1st July 2012 at 20:51. Reason: Spelling
Old 2nd July 2012, 17:09   #3509
BHPian

Thanks Audioholic and R2D2 for the piece of advise.
The additive technology into engine oils including synthetic oils today are selected keeping a lot of other key drivers into consideration, like the catalytic convertors, bio toxicity and environment. Phosphorous, Zinc and sulpher are seeing the axe, they have the tendency to poison the catalysts in catcons and are bioaccumulative (zinc esp) vut actually they do a good job of anti wear protection. I reason this could be a possible reason why our friend Arjun would have commented on the use of old gen oils for older cars, as they do not come with catcons! My guess......
Old 4th July 2012, 11:53   #3510
Distinguished - BHPian

Is engine flush a mandatory thing to do while changing the oil from mineral to synthetic? Mine is a Dzire DDiS engine. @20K I moved from mineral to synthetic(OW40-Mobil1) without a engine flush. Yesterday one of my friend was saying that engine flush is required. When I did a search in this thread i see mixed response for this.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed