Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2012, 18:07   #3586
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by M124 View Post
I have personally seen both gtx and mangatec in 5W30 grade cans. Also listed on castrol website. Even TOTAL is available in 5w30. magnatec 5w30 cost is 1600rs. for 4 litres.
Yes you are right. I had checked the castrol site a few backs and it mentioned 10W40 grade only. Yes Total, Petronas are also available in the 5W30 grade.
Old 4th September 2012, 21:44   #3587
BHPian

Hey fellas
I am looking to try for a oil change with a brand change in mind.
Currently using Castrol Magnatec, contemplating over Shell Helix HX5 and Mobil Super 1000. No synthetics.
Can I get reviews on these two oils?
Old 5th September 2012, 00:14   #3588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Wanted to have the toyota approved synthetic oil in my Innova Diesel for the 10k service. Ordered it but when I realised that they have to put in 7 litres and the drain interval remains at 10k kms, I shifted back to normal oil. Rs 5k extra per oil change, compared to the regular mineral oil, makes the deal very tough for the innova.
For your Innova, have you shifted to synthetic or still on mineral? I am due soon for 20000km service and plan to shift from mineral to synthetic. What do you hear - is it better to go with TASS recommended one or the popular ones from mobil or castrol? Thanks.
Old 6th September 2012, 09:52   #3589
Senior - BHPian

I have no experience with the Mobil oil you have mentioned, however, I have had great things to say about the Helix HX5. You could surely try it out.

Also, my personal opinion about Mobil oils is that they are over-rated. The most recent example is that of their Mobil 1 0W40, which frankly does not feel any better than a Servo available right outside my house at a FNG. In fact, as I have written in one of my previous posts, it feels as if the oil isn't there at all. And come to think of it, I ended up spending 3K on it. And I have a similar experience with Mobil oils for my Bullet that needs a 20W50. But these are just my personal experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Hey fellas
Currently using Castrol Magnatec, contemplating over Shell Helix HX5 and Mobil Super 1000. No synthetics.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 6th September 2012 at 09:54.
blackfire_9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2012, 10:42   #3590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
Hey fellas
I had shifted from Castrol Magnatec to helix HX5 in my santro almost 5 months back. Definite improvement in smoothness, another main thing is that , after that oil change , I had done 4000 odd kms , still the oil feels new. Also, I am getting better mileage by 1- 1.5 kmpl on same route ...that is in notorious 'HINJEWADI traffic in Pune ' :-)
Old 6th September 2012, 11:53   #3591
BHPian

I'll be getting the oil change done for my Cedia the 2 options which I'm looking out is either Mobil 1 0w-40 or Shell Helix Ultra which according to me is available in 5w-30. Price is almost the same as 800 Rs per liter. Which one I should go for? I believe Mobil 1 is a little overrated but the fact that 0w-40 is available at the same price as 5w-30 does it makes sense to go for Mobil 1 0w-40? Experts pls advice the car has done 20k kms and is used in Mumbai with 90% city driving.
Old 6th September 2012, 12:19   #3592
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you go with Motul Xcess 8100. Made in France makes any engine run butter smooth and It is also the recommended oil for the Cedia. Easily available in Opera house it costs around 900 bucks for a liter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
I'll be getting the oil change done for my Cedia the 2 options which I'm looking out is either Mobil 1 0w-40 or Shell Helix Ultra which according to me is available in 5w-30. Price is almost the same as 800 Rs per liter. Which one I should go for? I believe Mobil 1 is a little overrated but the fact that 0w-40 is available at the same price as 5w-30 does it makes sense to go for Mobil 1 0w-40? Experts pls advice the car has done 20k kms and is used in Mumbai with 90% city driving.
Old 6th September 2012, 13:16   #3593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
For your Innova, have you shifted to synthetic or still on mineral? I am due soon for 20000km service and plan to shift from mineral to synthetic. What do you hear - is it better to go with TASS recommended one or the popular ones from mobil or castrol? Thanks.
I am still on mineral - find the 7 litre purchase too expensive. I have used mobil 1 in my Baleno and the oil does make a difference in smoothness, pickup and generally the way the engine feels. It is pointless to thrash the Innova so I have continued with the cheap regular mineral oil.
If you change, pls let me know your experience and maybe I can try it next time based on that.
Buffetfan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 12:31   #3594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Why don't you go with Motul Xcess 8100. Made in France makes any engine run butter smooth and It is also the recommended oil for the Cedia. Easily available in Opera house it costs around 900 bucks for a liter.
Looking at the advice from Cedia owners and the feedback looks like I'll mostly go with Motul 8100. Called up Motul distributor in Mumbai who helped me with the stockist at Opera House . Price quoted is 900 per liter. Will be geeting it done mostly in the next week.
Old 10th September 2012, 09:17   #3595
BHPian

What is the self life of Synthetic & mineral oil in terms of months? Should we calculate life of the oil from the date of manufacture or from the day it is put into the engine. I feel it is the former, thus we must take care to see that the stock is fresh while purchasing. Need your views.
Old 2nd October 2012, 20:47   #3596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
What is the self life of Synthetic & mineral oil in terms of months? Should we calculate life of the oil from the date of manufacture or from the day it is put into the engine. I feel it is the former, thus we must take care to see that the stock is fresh while purchasing. Need your views.

The following link should help,

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html#sae

Scroll way down for the Shelf life explanation.
It is the same link from the opening post of this thread.
Old 15th October 2012, 23:49   #3597
BHPian

Is there any issue if I change to synthetic, on a car that has run for 10 years on mineral? Is there a chance for leaks to occur?
Old 3rd November 2012, 12:51   #3598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
If you change, pls let me know your experience and maybe I can try it next time based on that.
My 20K service got delayed because of a trip from Bangalore to Kolhapur. Last week I got the much anticipated service at 22164 Km. Besides a surprise problem with rear right bearing that needed to be replaced , I went for Toyota branded synthetic oil picture here below.

The price is Rs.800/- per litre. The oil itself is manufactured by Mumbai based Savita Oil Technologies in technical collaboration with Idemitsu, the agreement has been terminated according to this announcement on BSE.

It appears to me the oil Toyota uses and recommends is an Idemitsu product According Idemitsu site this grade 5W40 - is recommended for all modern 4-stroke gasoline & diesel engines. Its Characteristics mentioned are
  1. 100% synthetic gasoline engine oil.
  2. Wide temperature range of 5W40.
    • High fluidity at low temperature and excellent cold start
    • Great durability at high temperature
  3. Very low consumption rate.
  4. Excellent fuel economy.
  5. Meets the requirement of :- API: SM/CF

My experience/early observations are the engine seems much more peppier and responsive. This might partly be due to vehicle servicing also, and am not sure if I would have similar views if I had replaced existing mineral oil. I am waiting for the next chance to go on a long drive before posting further updates.

My last oil replacement was at 10000km. They also changed the oil seal and oil filter along with this replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-dsc00826.jpg  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-dsc00829.jpg  

dhuli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2012, 13:18   #3599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Is there any issue if I change to synthetic, on a car that has run for 10 years on mineral? Is there a chance for leaks to occur?
What car? And how many km running?

If the engine has been trouble free and properly maintained, there shouldn't be any leaks. But as is the norm with older cars, please don't flush the engine when you switch to synth. Just drain the old oil and fill synth, as you would do with regular oil. Many older engines do not take very well to engine flush, and often this is the no.1 reason for leaks.
Old 3rd November 2012, 16:26   #3600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
What car? And how many km running?

If the engine has been trouble free and properly maintained, there shouldn't be any leaks. But as is the norm with older cars, please don't flush the engine when you switch to synth. Just drain the old oil and fill synth, as you would do with regular oil. Many older engines do not take very well to engine flush, and often this is the no.1 reason for leaks.
It has run almost 2lac now. I did have an issue with minor leaks 2 years before when I changed to semisynth -- but not sure if it was due to the oil change or because they changed the seal (the one you can see when the top cover of the motor is removed).

Most Viewed