Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2012, 15:13   #3631
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Anyone has a clue which Oil Duster uses?
No mention of the same in manuals.

Someone mentioned it is mineral. Is it so? For only few early thousand kms or regularly?
In 11 days since I got car, I have already driven the car for 950kms. Does my driving demands synthetic? ( provided Duster comes with Mineral Oil )

Thanks,
All the Renaults in India use and recommend Elf mineral oil. Suggest you stay with the company's recommendations and follow the manufacturers service intervals for topping up or oil changes etc.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 12th December 2012 at 15:14.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2012, 17:58   #3632
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

What is the vicosity grade that your car calls for? Usually, most oils with a rating of 15W40 are mineral oils & others that have a better "winter" rating like the 0Wx, 5Wx & 10Wx are synthetics or semi-synthetics.

Also, the cost of the oil at the ASC can give an idea about what type of oil the Duster uses.

EDIT: Just realized that "shankar" has already posted the confirmed details of the kind of oil a Duster uses.

Quote:
Anyone has a clue which Oil Duster uses?
No mention of the same in manuals.

Someone mentioned it is mineral. Is it so? For only few early thousand kms or regularly?
In 11 days since I got car, I have already driven the car for 950kms. Does my driving demands synthetic? ( provided Duster comes with Mineral Oil )

Thanks,

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 12th December 2012 at 18:01.
Old 13th December 2012, 08:39   #3633
BHPian

Engine oil was due in my CNG esteem ('07). This time i tried Total Quartz 5000 15w40 (3.5l). The biggest difference i have noticed is the responsiveness & smoothness in cold starts. Engine is no more jerky in the initial few minutes.
I got 3.5l for 750 bucks + 50 bucks for filter + 50 for oil change. No oil flushing done for now. Why fix something if it aint broke.
Engine is very responsive now !
Old 13th December 2012, 16:26   #3634
BHPian

I have confirmed with service center regarding engine Oil for Duster.
Renault recommends Elf Prestigrade 15W40 Mineral Oil, costs about 1400 Rupees.

First Oil change is at 10000kms and not at 2000kms(i.e first service).

Is this pushing the oil too far, especially a mineral oil?

Thanks,
Old 13th December 2012, 17:41   #3635
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks,
Isnt elf a brand of total. So technically a total quartz 15W40 should suffice too?
Old 13th December 2012, 19:26   #3636
Senior - BHPian

I am assuming the Duster takes in no more than 4 liters of oil & at 1.4K, it sounds bloody expensive, especially for a mineral oil. But please do correct me if the amount of oil required is greater than what I have assumed.

Secondly, the drain interval of 10K kms is easily attainable with mineral oils. More than the oil, it is actually the additive package that gets depleted & that's why, one needs to change an oil. But again, 10K is not that high a mileage even for mineral oils.

Lastly, if you want, you could in fact get an oil change done at the first service itself; peace of mind, as they say, is the most important.

Quote:

Thanks,

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 13th December 2012 at 19:30.
Old 14th December 2012, 09:57   #3637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I would suggest sticking to mineral or semi synthetic.

Shell has HX5 in mineral (15-40 API SL) and HX7 semi synthetic (10W-40 API SN).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Hi Visaster,
I would suggest you go for mineral oil, primarily based on 2 factors:
1. Age of car
2. If you've used mineral oil for so long
3. If you are fine with spending more

Cost of Delvac MX is MRP: Rs.372/lit whereas the Delvac 1300/1400 is around Rs.1400 for 5 lits.

Thanks to you both. I have decided to stick to mineral oil. Shell or mobil.
I will be getting the change done this weekend.
I tried finding what exactly do they use in Hyundai workshop (grade & Brand) but no luck, any help on that?

Will use the extra on a good air filter system.

Cheers.
Old 14th December 2012, 11:04   #3638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Thanks to you both. I have decided to stick to mineral oil. Shell or mobil. I will be getting the change done this weekend.
I tried finding what exactly do they use in Hyundai workshop (grade & Brand) but no luck, any help on that?

Cheers.
Mobil Delvac is an excellent choice but difficult to source. If you don't get it get Shell Helix HX5 or HX7. One more thing - HX5 comes in 5w-30 viscosity as well for Maruti's newer engine. Don't buy that get the 15w-40 grade only OR HX7.

I wouldn't use a diesel engine oil in a petrol engine car - but that's purely out of personal choice. I have a 2002 Palio 1.6 GTX that is filled with Shell Helix HX5. Works beautifully much better than the OEM oil and even Castrol Magnatec.

Do let us know what you finally select and how the car feels after an oil change.

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th December 2012 at 11:05.
Old 14th December 2012, 12:11   #3639
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't use a diesel engine oil in a petrol engine car - but that's purely out of personal choice. I have a 2002 Palio 1.6 GTX that is filled with Shell Helix HX5. Works beautifully much better than the OEM oil and even Castrol Magnatec.
You could use Mobil Delvac MX 15W40 on gasoline engine as well. This is stated in the Mobil site itself and was convinced only then.
Personally, went for Mobil because have used Mobil-1 in another car and hence choose the same brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
Thanks to you both. I have decided to stick to mineral oil. Shell or mobil.
I will be getting the change done this weekend.

Cheers.
You could go with either Shell./ Mobil based on which suits your pocket as both are good oils.

I don't know if you could source Mobil Delvac MX at your place should set you back by approx Rs.372/- per lit OR less based on what price u get. But should not be more. That was the MRP in the 1 liter can.

Change all 3 namely Oil, Oil filter, Air filter unless you have changed air filter recently then cleaning might work.

Cheers
MKP
Old 14th December 2012, 13:32   #3640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
You could use Mobil Delvac MX 15W40 on gasoline engine as well. This is stated in the Mobil site itself and was convinced only then. Personally, went for Mobil because have used Mobil-1 in another car and hence choose the same brand.

In my case I use Shell (Helix Ultra synthetic & HX5) in both my cars but willing to try out Mobil 1 at the next oil change. The reason is my car mfr does not specify 0w-40 as a recommended grade. 5w-50 is too thick. It is now out of warranty hence I am willing to perform a rare experiment - I never experiment with engine oils and this would be the first ever. If I find 0w-40 doesn't work so well I will be back to SHU. This brings me to the next point.

It's not quite simple as using an oil only because the oil manufacturer says a diesel oil suitable for petrol or vice versa. We need to check the service classifications (and viscosity) as well.

Let me explain:

Mobil Delvac 15-40 is rated at API SJ/SL which will suit some petrol engines but nearly all diesels as it is rated API CI4 which is a current classification. On the other hand, API SJ/SL is not suitable for one of my cars which requires minimum API SM while it suits the other which requires API SJ or better.

Similarly, if you take the case of either Shell Helix Ultra synthetic or Shell Helix HX5 mineral, they are rated at API SN and API SL respectively which means 2 things - they can be used in BOTH my cars and they are current API classifications.

On the other hand, both these new gen Shell oils are rated at only API CF which is an outdated/obsolete classification. Only vehicles with older diesel engines will be able to use these oils.

Similarly there may be specific viscosities (mostly 5w-30, 10w-30, 15w-40 mineral oils) required by an engine given an ambient operating temperature.

Hence please go by what your engine manufacturer specifies not what oil companies suggest.

I am uploading a PDF from the API for your and other TBHPians reference.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Engine-Oil-Guide-2010-120210.ashx.pdf (1.23 MB, 727 views)
Old 14th December 2012, 13:44   #3641
Senior - BHPian

Shell Helix HX-7 (API SM, 10W40) is now freely available. Costs ~ Rs 1150.00 for 3.5 litres and seems to be a semi-synthetic oil. I am tempted to try this instead of the usual HX-5 during the next oil change, as the difference in price will be negligible.
Old 14th December 2012, 13:57   #3642
Distinguished - BHPian

Gansan, I'd be interested in knowing how it goes with HX7. May try that too in the Palio. Will have to wait for 6 months as I just purchase a can of HX5 for the car.
Old 14th December 2012, 14:14   #3643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Shell Helix HX-7 (API SM, 10W40) is now freely available. Costs ~ Rs 1150.00 for 3.5 litres and seems to be a semi-synthetic oil. I am tempted to try this instead of the usual HX-5 during the next oil change, as the difference in price will be negligible.
Quote:
Gansan, I'd be interested in knowing how it goes with HX7. May try that too in the Palio. Will have to wait for 6 months as I just purchase a can of HX5 for the car.
Castrol Magnatec is API-SN. Why not use that? I used it in my Zen and it is a great oil.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7037323
Old 14th December 2012, 14:18   #3644
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Castrol Magnatec is API-SN. Why not use that? I used it in my Zen and it is a great oil.

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7037323
The Palio was exclusively on Castrol Magnatec for several years. Believe me HX5 is better. I have stopped using Castrol products now after having used them for decades simply coz there was no better choice.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 14:30   #3645
BHPian

Quote:
The Palio was exclusively on Castrol Magnatec for several years. Believe me HX5 is better. I have stopped using Castrol products now after having used them for decades simply coz there was no better choice.
For the FIAT's it was Selenia till very recently, Castrol magnetec was never recommended for the Fiat's (Palio's. Siena, Petra), but this time i thought to go with Mobil as I was satisfied with Mobil-1.

Did not want to go for synthetic for the Siena 1.6 hence settled for Delvac.

Cheers
MKP

Most Viewed