Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2013, 10:40   #3676
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@hyper-VTEC; I think you will be quite safe in stretching to May.
I agree with you Sir,here manufacturers are pushing Semi Synthetics till 15K(Fiat),and Mineral till 20K(Mahindra).Using a FS oil till 15K interval will be perfectly fine for the engine.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 11:33   #3677
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktop View Post
I am really pleased with fully synthetic Shell Helix Ultra 5w40. Sure, it costs nearly 3 times more than the best mineral oil but the joy of refined high revving is certainly worth it. The M.R.P at Shell outlets is Rs.4400. So, a discount of Rs.900 seemed a good enough reason too for picking it up :-)
I put in Shell Helix Ultra in my Gypsy during the last service. The engine was quieter after that felt like fewer vibrations and initially I felt the response was better as I drove back. Good? sure, but overall nothing to sing about for 3x the price.

--R
Old 8th February 2013, 11:58   #3678
BHPian

Hey all, is there a lot of performance difference between synthetic gear oil 75W90 and Mineral gear oil 80W90?

I am looking for Synthetic gear oil 75W90 in the market, it is not available anywhere.

Anyone has purchased a 75W90 synthetic gear oil in bangalore? please let me know.
Old 8th February 2013, 12:10   #3679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I put in Shell Helix Ultra in my Gypsy during the last service. The engine was quieter after that felt like fewer vibrations and initially I felt the response was better as I drove back. Good? sure, but overall nothing to sing about for 3x the price.

--R

Interestingly, people get used to the refinement and forget the difference(comp. to mineral oil) fairly soon. Not just the difference in immediate performance but the duration over which the refined performance lasts; so yes, for all such folks, saving that money through mineral oil makes good sense!!
Old 8th February 2013, 12:20   #3680
Senior - BHPian

The two Selenia oils poured by Fiat's service centres in our country are fully synthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I agree with you Sir,here manufacturers are pushing Semi Synthetics till 15K(Fiat),and Mineral till 20K(Mahindra).Using a FS oil till 15K interval will be perfectly fine for the engine.
Old 8th February 2013, 13:59   #3681
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The two Selenia oils poured by Fiat's service centres in our country are fully synthetic.
No they are not,you may want to check again
And AFAIK T.A.S.S till now has had only one Selenia Oil,which is,Selenia WR 5W40 and it is Semi Synthetic,yes i agree that it costs as much as a FS oil.Selenia K 5W40 is a Fully Synthetic oil,and i am pretty sure we do not get this in India.I drive a MJD,so they have always used WR in mine,though i switched to Delvac 1 long back,not sure if they pour in WR in Tjet.
And Yes they call Selenia WR as synthetic,when actually it is semi synthetic.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 8th February 2013 at 14:00.
Old 8th February 2013, 14:53   #3682
BANNED

Quote:
I think all oils which are API-SF or higher for petrols are kosher for 12 months, as per the oilcos. I will not worry with a synth for at least up to 20,000km. I think I read somewhere that there was talk of a 40,000miles life for synths.

However, the normal disclaimer, all this only after warranty is over.
Old 8th February 2013, 17:00   #3683
BHPian

My car has always been on mineral oil and after almost 10 yrs the engine is a bit noisy (I believe after 90K it tend to be noisy compared to newer/younger engines).
Have decided to go for Quartz7000 (which is semi-synthetic) as reading praises about it. Any further review/opinion about the oil!?!
Is there any point in going for full synthetic for a car with 90K on odo?
Old 8th February 2013, 17:38   #3684
Senior - BHPian

Selenia K used by Fiat's service centre in Petrol engines and the WR used in Diesels are indeed fully synthetic. Here is what was poured in to my TJet+

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-selenia-k.jpg

These are snaps of one of the 1 ltr containers that were emptied in to my Jet's engine.

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-selenia-k-info.jpg

The reasons why this and the WR are confused to be semi synthetic are
1) their price @ much below the usual Rs.1K & above per liter for synthetics in general
and
2) the packaging. The majority of the supply is in 200 ltr. barrels and not the usual 4 liter packs, as is again the norm with most other synthetic brands.

Quote:
No they are not,you may want to check again
And AFAIK T.A.S.S till now has had only one Selenia Oil,which is,Selenia WR 5W40 and it is Semi Synthetic,yes i agree that it costs as much as a FS oil.Selenia K 5W40 is a Fully Synthetic oil,and i am pretty sure we do not get this in India.I drive a MJD,so they have always used WR in mine,though i switched to Delvac 1 long back,not sure if they pour in WR in Tjet.
And Yes they call Selenia WR as synthetic,when actually it is semi synthetic.
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 17:44   #3685
BANNED

Quote:
Interestingly, people get used to the refinement and forget the difference(comp. to mineral oil) fairly soon. Not just the difference in immediate performance but the duration over which the refined performance lasts; so yes, for all such folks, saving that money through mineral oil makes good sense!!

Yes I agree and thought about mentioning that too but skipped it. And for sure the mineral oil I refilled for the first 20K kms seemed to lose its protective qualities by 5K kms although the oil change interval was 10K. This one is atleast not giving me that impression and I am yet to decide if I want to skip the next oil change at 10K and let it run for 20.

--R
Old 8th February 2013, 17:45   #3686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Selenia K used by Fiat's service centre in Petrol engines and the WR used in Diesels are indeed fully synthetic. Here is what was poured in to my TJet+

These are snaps of one of the 1 ltr containers that were emptied in to my Jet's engine.

The reasons why this and the WR are confused to be semi synthetic are
1) their price @ much below the usual Rs.1K & above per liter for synthetics in general
and
2) the packaging. The majority of the supply is in 200 ltr. barrels and not the usual 4 liter packs, as is again the norm with most other synthetic brands.
This is Selenia K,as i had mentioned in my Previous post,this is Fully Synthetic.However for Diesels WR is used,which i am sure is semi synthetic.
Also T.A.S.S has always poured in oil in my Car from their big drums,hence i was not sure of the quality and switched to Delvac 1
Old 8th February 2013, 18:21   #3687
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is Selenia K,as i had mentioned in my Previous post,this is Fully Synthetic.However for Diesels WR is used,which i am sure is semi synthetic.
Also T.A.S.S has always poured in oil in my Car from their big drums,hence i was not sure of the quality and switched to Delvac 1
+100. The Selenia K is fully synthetic and Selenia WR which is used for diesel engine is semi synthetic. I re-confirmed with the CRM a few minutes back.

Last edited by nkrishnap : 8th February 2013 at 18:27.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 22:21   #3688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Yes I agree and thought about mentioning that too but skipped it. And for sure the mineral oil I refilled for the first 20K kms seemed to lose its protective qualities by 5K kms although the oil change interval was 10K. This one is atleast not giving me that impression and I am yet to decide if I want to skip the next oil change at 10K and let it run for 20.

--R
Ragul. Both with the 5K kms life of mineral oil's goodness and the possibility of using synthetics for 20K kms. After buying the 4 liter fully synthetic Shell Helix Ultra for Rs.3500, I calculated that for 20K kms(which i will probably cover in 15 to 18 months), I shll end up spending an extra Rs.800 over mineral oil(2 oil changes). For most people using cars, Rs.800 is not too big an amount to spend over a 15 month period. Therefore, synthetics are going to be my choice.
Old 9th February 2013, 07:48   #3689
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post
My car has always been on mineral oil and after almost 10 yrs the engine is a bit noisy (I believe after 90K it tend to be noisy compared to newer/younger engines).
Have decided to go for Quartz7000 (which is semi-synthetic) as reading praises about it. Any further review/opinion about the oil!?!
You drive an OHC and 90K kms is fairly less mileage for a Honda; to many people, your car is as good as new!!. Do try out Fully synthetic engine oil and you will not be disappointed. Just be careful about the viscosity grade.
Old 9th February 2013, 13:46   #3690
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Both with the 5K kms life of mineral oil's goodness and the possibility of using synthetics for 20K kms. After buying the 4 liter fully synthetic Shell Helix Ultra for Rs.3500, I calculated that for 20K kms(which i will probably cover in 15 to 18 months), Therefore, synthetics are going to be my choice.
Synthetic needs to be changed at the same recommended time/mileage intervals as mineral. Whoever told you that it has 2x or 3x the drain interval is misinformed. There are high mileage or extended drain synthetics but none are available in India.

I have been using Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 for years and change it at 10K kms/1 year whichever is earlier.

If the cost of changing synthetic (at the same interval as mineral) begins to pinch it is time to consider going back to mineral. Fresh mineral oil is always better than old synthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Monk View Post

Don't go synthetic with high mileage engine. Contrary to what you expect it may become noisier as synthetics have very good detergent capabilities. I'd say stick to mineral but semi synthetic is fine if you really want to use something better.

Never used Total so have no comments but there would be TBHPians who have used it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks