Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2016, 12:30   #4441
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir3551 View Post
Hi R2D2. I just searched for Shell Helix Ultra Diesel on net and it is easily available on Amazon. Is it ok to buy from amazon?? Whats your take on it.
Are you sure it's the diesel version? Can you share the link? It's very, very rare to find! And even if you do there's a chance it may be old stock. So please be wary.

I buy my engine oils from Heera (Shell distributor) I'd suggest you phone them to enquire:

Heera Oil Corp. Near Adinath Shop Complex, Pune-satara Road, Swargate, Pune: 411037, Tel. No.020 2426 6364

To the best of my knowledge he does not stock the diesel variant of SHU.

Also, if you're buying online please check the trader's reputation before placing the order.

And last but not the least, DO NOT get the oil changed by a 3rd party when the car is under warranty. All maintenance must be logged by the dealer. Take it to DSK Toyota or any other ASC.

Also, SHU is primarily a petrol engine oil with basic API CF rating (for diesels) and may void the warranty. Please check with the dealer.

Last edited by R2D2 : 5th March 2016 at 12:33.
Old 5th March 2016, 15:19   #4442
BHPian

Thankyou Sgiitk; Rahul Rao. R2D2 i was planning to buy one from Shell Pump which is at Kasarwadi next to Kala Sagar. As per your recommendation I will buy from Heera, Swargate. Servicing of all my cars are done from the dealer only. I have a good experience of DSK. They were understand the meaning of customer satisfaction.
Old 5th March 2016, 15:55   #4443
Senior - BHPian

ALready posted this under Honda jazz thread but I think this would be a good place to get a proper answer so reposting. (Mods please merge if necessary)

Since Maruti has been recommending Shell,Servo and Total 0w20 oils for its Ciaz and Baleno, can we use the same for our Jazz with 1.2 Ivtec?

I came across this on Honda india site, but seems to be for the US models.

Will a 0w20 stick it out for Ahmedabad summer which sees 2 months of 40+ heat?

https://www.hondacarindia.com/owners...046-13011.html

Last edited by devarshi84 : 5th March 2016 at 15:57.
Old 5th March 2016, 16:30   #4444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
ALready posted this under Honda jazz thread but I think this would be a good place to get a proper answer so reposting. (Mods please merge if necessary)

Since Maruti has been recommending Shell,Servo and Total 0w20 oils for its Ciaz and Baleno, can we use the same for our Jazz with 1.2 Ivtec?

I came across this on Honda india site, but seems to be for the US models.

Will a 0w20 stick it out for Ahmedabad summer which sees 2 months of 40+ heat?

https://www.hondacarindia.com/owners...046-13011.html

I'd stick to whatever viscosity Honda has recommended for your car's engine. According to the temp chart 0W-20 is good for >40 C temps. If this is not available then 0W-30 or 10W-30

But if your car is under warranty please ensure you use their recommended Honda OEM oils. Don't take a risk with the warranty cover.

Last edited by R2D2 : 5th March 2016 at 16:33.
Old 5th March 2016, 17:57   #4445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thankyou Sgiitk; Rahul Rao. R2D2 i was planning to buy one from Shell Pump which is at Kasarwadi next to Kala Sagar. As per your recommendation I will buy from Heera, Swargate. Servicing of all my cars are done from the dealer only. I have a good experience of DSK. They were understand the meaning of customer satisfaction.
My car was under warranty when I took it to DSKT for an oil change with Shell Helix. I did take a slight risk using an after market oil. What went in SHU's favour is it is the same spec as Toyota's own OEM synthetic (5W-40, API SM). No issues at the Bawdhan facility, the guys at Hadapsar are a bit finicky but caved in. Yes, DSKT takes customer satisfaction very seriously.

This is year #10 in my ownership of 2 Toyota cars and believe me I am very tempted to go in for a Camry instead of one of the big 3 German marques only because of the customer care @ DSKT. Faultless after sales service and a reliable car = peace of mind, I tell you. Of course this comes with a slight compromise in sheer driving pleasure. But my Toyotas have provided me with an unparalleled ownership experience.

Last edited by R2D2 : 5th March 2016 at 17:58.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 18:06   #4446
BHPian

Quote:
Is it ok to buy from amazon??

I bought 3L pack of Shell HELIX HX7 10W40 for my Punto Petrol, from Amazon. There were logistics issues while purchasing for the first time, but Amazon intervened, and the oil was delivered in 3 days. This was in December. The oil change was done on Jan 1, and I am satisfied with the performance: 2000kms done so far. So

1) You may buy from Amazon: just keep watching for a sudden big discount.
2) For the Punto 1.2, the oil works just fine, and no issues with mileage, starting or NVH levels, than the 5W40 which probably was an overkill for this engine, which doesn't run >10k a year in my case.
Old 5th March 2016, 18:21   #4447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
I bought 3L pack of Shell HELIX HX7 10W40 for my Punto Petrol, from Amazon.
I think you mean a 3.5 litre pack or 1 litre packs 3 no.s? I have not seen a three litre pack in HX-7.

How much did you pay for it? I bought three 1 litre packs @ Rs 465.00 per litre at the Shell station (MRP).
Old 5th March 2016, 18:24   #4448
BHPian

http://www.amazon.in/Shell-550040111...keywords=10W40

Single 3l pack. I bought for 1125/- in December 15. Amazon fulfilled, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I think you mean a 3.5 litre pack or 1 litre packs 3 no.s? I have not seen a three litre pack in HX-7.

How much did you pay for it? I bought three 1 litre packs @ Rs 465.00 per litre at the Shell station (MRP).

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 5th March 2016 at 18:47.
Old 7th March 2016, 13:37   #4449
BHPian

Shell Engine oil change - for 5 year old Santro with 70k on odo - Pros VS Cons ?

Dear Experts,

After approximately 1 and half years, today i visited a shell petrol station to fill in. Where i noticed a ramp and a table full of plastic bottles.

Went near to inquire and it seems to be a instant oil change area for your car irrespective of the brand. Mine is a Santro 5+ years and ~70k on the odo

The guy suggests a semi synthetic oil which costs about ~1700 for 3.5 litres and says that Santro needs 3.5 litres of engine oil. He also says that the oil filter is also available costing around 90 Rs

Now the question is the following

1. How good is shell engine oil ? Previous experiences from tbhp members ?
2. Is it healthy for the vehicle to change from mineral oil to synthetic oil after running for 5 years on it ?
3. He says Semi synthetic need not be changed for the next 7000 Km's. Whats the level of truth in this ?
4. If i had to proceed, what are the checkpoints that i have to watch for/bear in mind during the change ?
5. Any safety precautions before/after the oil change that i need to aware of ?

Pros Vs Cons please ?
Old 8th March 2016, 12:08   #4450
BHPian

Re: Shell Engine oil change - for 5 year old Santro with 70k on odo - Pros VS Cons ?

Guy, got Mobil Delvac 1 5w 40 filled for my Ritz D for the 2nd time along with Oil Filter change. Got 3 nos 1 Ltr Bottles for 900 each. Ran the 1st fill for 9500 Kms. Super impressed with this Oil. Very much recommended for DDIS Engines.

Just had a Query. The Manual says Engine Oil Capacity is 3.1.Ltrs and i have filled 3 Ltrs.
The mechanic after pouring the Oil removed the Dipstick and it was more than 75% on the Marker but not 100%. He advised to check the Dipstick when Engine is Cold and Top it up if needed. Do i need to purchase one more pack and top-up with say 100 ML more ? Or is it safe to run it the way it is ?

During last fill up as well, i had put only 3 Ltr Oil along with Oil Filter Change.

Kindly advice.
Thank you.

Last edited by abhi3284 : 8th March 2016 at 12:09. Reason: Add Text
Old 8th March 2016, 12:11   #4451
BHPian

The designated area for oil change

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-p_20160308_092233.jpg

Oil rack with varieties on display

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-p_20160308_092255.jpg

Read few threads on Tbhp and understood that removing the existing engine oil and pressure air cleaning as suggested by the Mechanic at Shell wont suffice and a proper engine flush has to be done.

Upon inquiring, the Engine Flush oil available with them has to be purchase separately and below is the quality, quantity and rate for the same

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-p_20160308_092714.jpg

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-p_20160308_092720.jpg

Price catalog for different types of oils as shown below

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-price_catalogue.png

Need inputs from experts here on what do they think about the place and the product. And as asked above in my previous thread Pros and Cons

Last edited by Tamarind : 8th March 2016 at 12:16. Reason: Added the price estimate for the oils
Old 8th March 2016, 13:22   #4452
BHPian

Guys, have been searching forums for the past few days, but couldn't find anything similar. Hence posting: The engine oil recommended for my Beat Petrol is 5W-30 API SM GF4 . My requirement is fully synthetic. Now, I am unable to find anything similar in shell - it is Shell Helix Ultra 550041109 5W-40 API SN Fully Synthetic Car Engine Oil. Any recommendations will be helpful. I know that Shell helix is hydrocracked grade 3 and hence would like to go for grade 4, if possible.
Old 8th March 2016, 13:47   #4453
BHPian

Hi adg_andy! I just came across Shell Helix Ultra 550041109 5W-40 API SN Fully Synthetic Car Engine Oil (4 L) for Diesel and Gasoline Engines for Rs. 3300/- + Free Delivery. It is available on Amazon. You can check it. Type in Shell Helix Ultra 550041109 5W-40 API SN Fully Synthetic Car Engine Oil (4 L). Do tell me whether you got it or not.
Old 8th March 2016, 14:39   #4454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind View Post
Need inputs from experts here on what do they think about the place and the product. And as asked above in my previous thread Pros and Cons
I am not expert, but product wise this is the top of the crop. Not sure what grade oil is needed in your car, but if the rating matches 5W-40, then you can use this without any issue. My car needs 5w-30, but I have used 5W-40 without any issue till date and survived summer without any issue.

Low vibrations, quick start, faster acceleration were observed after shifting from mineral and semi synth. Very Very damaging to the wallet, but worth it if you are inclined to get the best.
prithm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 18:06   #4455
Senior - BHPian

Why is an engine flush required for effecting an oil change, even when one is moving from one type of the oil to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind View Post
Read few threads on Tbhp and understood that removing the existing engine oil and pressure air cleaning as suggested by the Mechanic at Shell wont suffice and a proper engine flush has to be done.

Most Viewed