Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2016, 20:01   #4456
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Why is an engine flush required for effecting an oil change, even when one is moving from one type of the oil to another.
It's not recommended. Never flush a Honda engine at least. It will actually damage the interior of the engine.
Old 8th March 2016, 20:06   #4457
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Our swift VDi is due for its 70K service. Until now, we went with mineral oil i.e castrol MGDO 5W-40. To move into synthetic, should i go with semi-synthetic in this service and fully synthetic in the next? Does this require a flush?

The mandovi SA, once told me that first fill of synthetic wouldn't offer any difference and the difference becomes noticeable from the next service and refill. Is this true?
Old 8th March 2016, 22:05   #4458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Our swift VDi is due for its 70K service. Until now, we went with mineral oil i.e castrol MGDO 5W-40. To move into synthetic, should i go with semi-synthetic in this service and fully synthetic in the next? Does this require a flush?

The mandovi SA, once told me that first fill of synthetic wouldn't offer any difference and the difference becomes noticeable from the next service and refill. Is this true?
Just a snake oil story. Nothing like that. If you want flush, do it. If not, just save that money for nice snack and get the synth oil filled without flush. Results will be results in either case.
Old 8th March 2016, 23:31   #4459
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamarind View Post
Now the question is the following

1. How good is shell engine oil ? Previous experiences from tbhp members ?
2. Is it healthy for the vehicle to change from mineral oil to synthetic oil after running for 5 years on it ?
3. He says Semi synthetic need not be changed for the next 7000 Km's. Whats the level of truth in this ?
4. If i had to proceed, what are the checkpoints that i have to watch for/bear in mind during the change ?
5. Any safety precautions before/after the oil change that i need to aware of ?

Pros Vs Cons please ?
The Helix Ultra synthetic range of oils is used by Ferrari. So, Shell knows a thing or two about engine oils which IMO are good enough for our run of the mill power plants. Incidentally both my cars use Shell oils, one with synthetic (Ultra) and the other semi synthetic (HX7). Couldn't be happier.

You need more feedback use the search function on this thread.

No precautions necessary just drain the old oil completely and refill with synthetic. Just make sure the grade is recommended for your vehicle.

And please, please, please do NOT use engine flush. It is NOT required. No car manufacturer ever recommends using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Guy, got Mobil Delvac 1 5w 40 filled for my Ritz D for the 2nd time along with Oil Filter change. Got 3 nos 1 Ltr Bottles for 900 each. Ran the 1st fill for 9500 Kms. Super impressed with this Oil. Very much recommended for DDIS Engines.

During last fill up as well, i had put only 3 Ltr Oil along with Oil Filter Change.
No harm done if the sump is 100 ml short of the full mark. But to be on the safe side just top it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Guys, have been searching forums for the past few days, but couldn't find anything similar. Hence posting: The engine oil recommended for my Beat Petrol is 5W-30 API SM GF4 . My requirement is fully synthetic. Now, I am unable to find anything similar in shell - it is Shell Helix Ultra 550041109 5W-40 API SN Fully Synthetic Car Engine Oil. Any recommendations will be helpful. I know that Shell helix is hydrocracked grade 3 and hence would like to go for grade 4, if possible.
Buddy, if this synthetic oil is good enough for a Ferrari or race track spec BMWs why do you believe it's not good enough for your Beat?

http://pureplus.shell.com/en/recommended-by-the-best/

That aside if your car needs 5W-30 check out the new Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 09:13   #4460
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Why is an engine flush required for effecting an oil change, even when one is moving from one type of the oil to another.
In my forty five plus years of motoring (since 1969) I have never used or even felt the need to use a flush. I did hear once from a 'guru' the best flush, if you need it, is a cheap oil. A flush is exactly that with possibly some detergents added.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 10:50   #4461
Senior - BHPian

I think a flushing oil is a thinnest grade plus some cleanser. We can just switch to synthetic during an oil change just by ensuring as much of the old oil is drained as possible. All the engine oils are miscible anyway.
Old 9th March 2016, 11:21   #4462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I think a flushing oil is a thinnest grade plus some cleanser. We can just switch to synthetic during an oil change just by ensuring as much of the old oil is drained as possible. All the engine oils are miscible anyway.
+1.

I was a big fan, but then found it just does not give anything other than psychological assurance. When I opened my motorcycle engine, it was pristine. The old owner used only low cost Bajaj mineral oil and it just looked sparkling new. Washed with Diesel and kerosene just to be sure before moving Shell synth, but could not see any improvement other than smoother pickup and long drain intervals. My brother's bike shifted from mineral to synth with no flush and it just gave same output as seen on my bike.

No need to clean the inners unless the draining oil is sticky like goo which happens in old trucks and tractors.
Old 9th March 2016, 12:45   #4463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Buddy, if this synthetic oil is good enough for a Ferrari or race track spec BMWs why do you believe it's not good enough for your Beat?

http://pureplus.shell.com/en/recommended-by-the-best/

That aside if your car needs 5W-30 check out the new Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30.
Hi R2D2,

My concern was about the viscosity. I am not sure if a ferrari engine requires same viscosity as my humble bumblebee . Jokes apart, I could not find 5W30 in synthetic (now I have, thanks to you ) and was not sure if 5W40 is compatible with my car( for which 5W30 mineral is recommended). Guess I shall go with Mobil1 then
Old 9th March 2016, 17:10   #4464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi R2D2,

My concern was about the viscosity. I am not sure if a ferrari engine requires same viscosity as my humble bumblebee . Jokes apart, I could not find 5W30 in synthetic (now I have, thanks to you ) and was not sure if 5W40 is compatible with my car( for which 5W30 mineral is recommended). Guess I shall go with Mobil1 then
Actually that bit about the oil being good enough for Ferrari or race spec BMWs was in reference to this bit:

Quote:
I know that Shell helix is hydrocracked grade 3 and hence would like to go for grade 4, if possible.
But I am glad you're thinking of getting Mobil 1 5W30 ESP. May try it myself when may car goes for the annual checkup later this year. You could use Shell Helix Ultra in 5W40 provided it's one of the grades recommended in your car owners manual

Last edited by R2D2 : 9th March 2016 at 17:11.
Old 10th March 2016, 15:06   #4465
BHPian

Quote:

@JMaruru- I switched from mineral to synthetic for Swift VDi at around 38k and the oil used was Mobil Delvac 1 and the difference was noticeable and immediate !! No it wasn't the placebo effect either and ever since I have been on Synthetic and the ODO is @ 62k and she still drives like a charm.

I never used a flush as I didn't believe in it !!
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 16:08   #4466
Senior - BHPian

I just read the last few posts, and with experience of multiple vehicles, all lakh + , some close to two lakhs and one above 3 lakhs too, I'd say that avoid flushing engines. If you notice sludge in oil while draining it, have your next change earlier.

Rahul
Old 10th March 2016, 18:53   #4467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
@JMaruru- I switched from mineral to synthetic for Swift VDi at around 38k and the oil used was Mobil Delvac 1 and the difference was noticeable and immediate !! I never used a flush as I didn't believe in it !!
From where did you source Mobil Delvac 1?

The Mandovi, where we service always say, if synthetic they will use shell.
So, I need to carry the oil if it has to be from Mobil.
Old 10th March 2016, 20:23   #4468
BHPian

Quote:
From where did you source Mobil Delvac 1?

The Mandovi, where we service always say, if synthetic they will use shell.
So, I need to carry the oil if it has to be from Mobil.
@JMaruru - You can pick the Delvac from here

If you are in West Bangalore you can look this distributor

Hope this helps
csateesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 13:06   #4469
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shell Engine oil change - for 5 year old Santro with 70k on odo - Pros VS Cons ?

Quote:
Guys, have been searching forums for the past few days, but couldn't find anything similar. Hence posting: The engine oil recommended for my Beat Petrol is 5W-30 API SM GF4 . My requirement is fully synthetic. Now, I am unable to find anything similar in shell - it is Shell Helix Ultra 550041109 5W-40 API SN Fully Synthetic Car Engine Oil. Any recommendations will be helpful. I know that Shell helix is hydrocracked grade 3 and hence would like to go for grade 4, if possible.
This is what you need. Its API-SN rated. http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00S...f_rd_i=desktop

Weirdly Shell doesn't sell the 5w-30 Helix Ultra in India even though they have it in their line up abroad.

Quote:
Guy, got Mobil Delvac 1 5w 40 filled for my Ritz D for the 2nd time along with Oil Filter change. Got 3 nos 1 Ltr Bottles for 900 each. Ran the 1st fill for 9500 Kms. Super impressed with this Oil. Very much recommended for DDIS Engines.

Just had a Query. The Manual says Engine Oil Capacity is 3.1.Ltrs and i have filled 3 Ltrs.
The mechanic after pouring the Oil removed the Dipstick and it was more than 75% on the Marker but not 100%. He advised to check the Dipstick when Engine is Cold and Top it up if needed. Do i need to purchase one more pack and top-up with say 100 ML more ? Or is it safe to run it the way it is ?

During last fill up as well, i had put only 3 Ltr Oil along with Oil Filter Change.

Kindly advice.
Thank you.
I'd suggest you buy 1 more botlle and top up to the high mark. In any case you can use the rest at next change too. The SX4 manual says 4.3L oil but only 4L goes in including oil filter and it shows at the high mark when cold.

Where in Pune did you get this oil from?

Last edited by straight6 : 11th March 2016 at 13:33.
Old 12th March 2016, 10:06   #4470
BHPian

Re: Shell Engine oil change - for 5 year old Santro with 70k on odo - Pros VS Cons ?

Quote:

Just had a Query. The Manual says Engine Oil Capacity is 3.1.Ltrs and i have filled 3 Ltrs.
The mechanic after pouring the Oil removed the Dipstick and it was more than 75% on the Marker but not 100%. He advised to check the Dipstick when Engine is Cold and Top it up if needed. Do i need to purchase one more pack and top-up with say 100 ML more ? Or is it safe to run it the way it is ?

Kindly advice.
Thank you.
@abhi3284 - I drive a Swift VDi and always fill 3 ltrs only. It is perfectly fine. As long as the oil stays well above min and below max we are good. Filling 100 ml precisely needs a measuring cup and also will result in 900 ml oil opened for 6 months in a dark place. Storage is an issue and hence would recommend 3 ltr option

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks