Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2016, 10:26   #4471
BHPian

Re: Shell Engine oil change - for 5 year old Santro with 70k on odo - Pros VS Cons ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
@abhi3284 - I drive a Swift VDi and always fill 3 ltrs only. It is perfectly fine. As long as the oil stays well above min and below max we are good. Filling 100 ml precisely needs a measuring cup and also will result in 900 ml oil opened for 6 months in a dark place. Storage is an issue and hence would recommend 3 ltr option

Cheers
Thx Sateesh. That was my concern as well. However, i did check the Oil Dipstick Level in the morning when Engine was Cold and it was covered till Full Mark.
So, all Good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post

I'd suggest you buy 1 more botlle and top up to the high mark. In any case you can use the rest at next change too. The SX4 manual says 4.3L oil but only 4L goes in including oil filter and it shows at the high mark when cold.

Where in Pune did you get this oil from?
I got it from National Lubricants in Kharadi. Genuine and Humble Guy and found this to be the lowest price in Pune.
Old 23rd March 2016, 18:34   #4472
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I'm getting it for 568 a liter. I don't see Servo oils at pumps these days. I asked at one pump just now and he said they don't keep much now.
I got Shell S4 GS 75W90 MGGO (2.5 lt) filled up at MASS for Rs 1000 including labor. The oil is very thin and free flowing and I can imagine my transmission would love it. A great price for synthetic gear oil! I wasted 2 months with a Servo dealer who ultimately got 2 packs but used it himself!

My gears are working like new now, silky smooth, never stuck!

My recommendation for non-maruti users who are looking for 75W90 is to go to a smaller MASS who are willing to either give you lose oil or change even for non-maruti vehicles!
heysac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2016, 19:37   #4473
BHPian

Heysac you haven't mentioned which car you are using. How many kms you have run. Is your car within warranty. These details will give us some idea.
Old 24th March 2016, 19:16   #4474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Just had a Query. The Manual says Engine Oil Capacity is 3.1.Ltrs and i have filled 3 Ltrs.
Thank you.
Hi Abhi,
I think the engine oil level on the dipstick should be in between of the lowest and highest mark.
Your car's engine must be cold and car should be parked on flat surface while performing dipstick checks. I think in your case its slightly below the highest mark of dipstick. This should not be a problem. The 100 ml additional recommendation is for lubrication of oil filter.
Most important point is the level should not drop below the lowest mark thus the engine does not get proper lubrication during start up.
Please try to observe the oil level periodically since sometimes diesel engines consume engine oil.(Though this is rare in DDiS engines unless faulty)

Dear all,

This is an informative post for anyone planning to change engine oil for Maruti K-Series engine.

Today I took my car(Alto K10/2011 model) to a local garage for periodic maintenance.Engine oil change was a part of it.
So far I used many engine oils of SAE grade 5W30 for the same car.
In most of the cases I change engine oil by approx 6000 kms interval.

Last change was done at 25000 km by Total Quartz MGO 5W30 oil which cost me Rs. 950 for 3l. My experience was good with Total quartz after using many oils like Servo MGO, Magnatec 5W30 etc. In most of the cases I drive 70% in city (Kolkata) and 30% highway.
This time I was looking for any 5W30 mineral or semi synthetic oil apart from Magnatec. Magnatec is readily available in after market stores but it is approx. Rs. 400 costlier compared to other brands semi synthetic oils.

Today I saw Gulf Ultra Synth X 5W30 API SN ILSAC GF 5 in market. Price tag is Rs. 1290 but the dealer sold me for Rs.1190. Later I got a discount coupon of Rs 150 inside the cap. So finally I had to pay Rs. 1040 for 3l Gulf oil.
Astonishing fact is the jerrycan sticker claims this is Synthetic oil. But I believe this oil is semi synthetic; cause pure synthetic is thrice costlier than this one. Smell and look of the oil is very much similar to magnatec which I used earlier.
Below is the breakup of entire servicing at the local garage. I had to buy the parts and fluids from outside with my own efforts.

1. Engine oil: 5W30 API SN ILSAC GF 5. 3l- Rs.1040
2. Brake Fluid: Dot 4 MGO 250 ml. - Rs.185
3. Brake pads: TVS MGO 4 pcs- Rs.1043
4. Transmission oil: Total 80W90 2l- Rs.500
5. Rear wheel (left) brake cylinder KBX 1 pc- Rs.270
6. Distill water- 2.5 l -Rs.20
7. Emery paper (for brake cleaning) - Rs.5
8. MGO kit for Alto K10 with following parts -Rs.960
a. NGK stock Spark plug 3 pcs
b. Air filter
c. Oil filter
d. Fuel filter

Total cost for parts and fluid= Rs.4023
Labor charge=Rs.900
The guy worked for approximately 2 hours today for all the above maintenance works. At the end we both test drove the car and the result was satisfactory. I throughout watched him working and I liked his dedication.
Attached are the photos of Gulf engine oil jerrycan.
Sorry for the picture quality.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-11.jpg  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-22.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th February 2017 at 12:15. Reason: merging back to back posts
DriveHigh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2016, 16:55   #4475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHigh View Post
So finally I had to pay Rs. 1040 for 3l Gulf oil.
Astonishing fact is the jerrycan sticker claims this is Synthetic oil. But I believe this oil is semi synthetic; cause pure synthetic is thrice costlier than this one.
It appears to be a synthetic oil alright; and the price makes it a great bargain indeed. Perhaps the overseas brands are over pricing their products?! Good find, it looks like. It is hard to imagine that a false claim would be made in the manner you are suggesting. Merits more feedback from others here.
Old 25th March 2016, 19:09   #4476
BHPian

From google search I mostly found the term "entry level" synthetic oil for gulf ultrasynth x. Few years back synthetic oils available in India had grades like 0W40, 5W40 and 5W50. In recent years we saw advancement of engines and at the same time in addition to previous grades 0W20 and 5W30 synthetic oils came to Indian market. From the pricing point of view its a great bargain, I agree. I'll check for sometime how it works to have a better understanding.
Old 25th March 2016, 23:48   #4477
Senior - BHPian

This Gulf oil is semi synthetic. I have spoken to a territory manager of Gulf and he confirmed it. Its SN rated so it can't be bad. I will try it later for sure.

Usually, you can be sure its semi synthetic if it doesn't say "full synthetic" or "100% synthetic".
Old 26th March 2016, 17:59   #4478
BANNED

As @straight6; says if it a semi-synth as it appears based on the price etc. then the manufacturer is pulling a real fast one. API-SN is there with Castrol Magnatec which is a declared semi-synth, has been for years, so there is nothing great with that.
Old 28th March 2016, 22:22   #4479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveHigh View Post
Today I saw Gulf Ultra Synth X 5W30 API SN ILSAC GF 5 in market.
Astonishing fact is the jerrycan sticker claims this is Synthetic oil.
I have been using GS Caltex 5W30 for the last three years and it is an awesome oil! It is almost colorless which the company claims is because it uses very high grade base oils. It costs about Rs 1150 for 3 lts. Even though the can saya "Synthetic", the company claims it is semi-synth. I did some research and the Korean counterpart of the same oil, says fully synth on the can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabir3551 View Post
Heysac you haven't mentioned which car you are using. How many kms you have run. Is your car within warranty.
I drive a Swift (P), K series, 2010 with 21K kms on it. The warranty is long over. I spent so much time trying to find a good 75W90 gear oil from the market but couldn't. Motul is available but it is too expensive. Never thought MASS would be cheaper in this case! Maybe we need a separate thread on 75W90 since so many members are struggling to find it!
Old 1st April 2016, 21:58   #4480
BHPian

I tried to source 75W90 GL 4 transmission oil but could not find one in local market. But I was able source 80W90 GL 4 transmission oil very easily. My experience with 80W90 is good after one week's moderate city driving.

Last edited by DriveHigh : 1st April 2016 at 22:00.
Old 2nd April 2016, 13:16   #4481
Senior - BHPian

Mak EP 90 is an excellent oil. I'm using it now and its better than the Mobilube 80w-90 I used before it.
Old 2nd April 2016, 13:47   #4482
Team-BHP Support

I am impressed with Mobil Delvac MX (again), today i changed oil of my pre-owned Thar for first time. It was till date running of company spec oil and the owner had just done the change when i picked it up at ~24k kms, today odo read 32,8xx kms. Added some engine flush and ran for 15 mts, before the oil was changed (6.5 liters of Delvac MX was used).

Started off from the workshop and it felt lil bit quieter (no great shakes types), but about 3-4 kms engine became super silent. So much so that i could hear the tyre noise and turbo whistle at slower speed than the engine sound. While regular shifting from 1 to 2 gear i almost thought the engine had switched off!

I always used to think there must be a bit of placebo effect when it comes to oil change, but this one is too much for that!. Traffic was not great, hopefully i will get lil better stretch to open up in the evening.

And oh yeah, no other things was touched serviced or the vehicle even washed. Just engine flush, new oil and filters. So am sure this is the oil!
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 15:04   #4483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
@JMaruru- I switched from mineral to synthetic for Swift VDi at around 38k and the oil used was Mobil Delvac 1 and the difference was noticeable and immediate !! No it wasn't the placebo effect either and ever since I have been on Synthetic and the ODO is @ 62k and she still drives like a charm.
The JK Auto in JC Road have Mobil Delvac 1 in stock. Would 3 liters suffice for VDi?

5 Liter can would be more than required, so am thinking of purchasing 3 X 1 liter cans.
Old 14th April 2016, 15:42   #4484
BHPian

Liqui-Moly brand engine oils and range of products now on Amazon! Even the MoS2 variant oils are there! Reasonably priced. 5W40 is 4600 for 5 liters! Just wait for the discounts to start !

http://www.amazon.in/Liqui-Moly-Tour...rds=liqui+moly
Old 19th April 2016, 11:16   #4485
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

I have a query and also want to share my experience with Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 (Fully synthetic) which I put in my dads Chevrolet Beat Diesel at 45,000 kms. This is the first time I changed the oil outside service center (Chevvy Service center is a misnomer now-a-days )

Its been about 1000kms since I did the oil change. The car had become too harsh as the oil had not been replaced for almost 7,800 kms. Immediately after we did the oil change, the noise and harshness reduced by considerable amounts. The vibrations felt at clutch lever reduced drastically. I recently did a trip to Alibag and felt the engine was much smoother compared to the oil change they did at service centers. The car was driven almost the entire day and there was no variation on NVH (something which happened during normal oil change). The car cranks nicely even after 4-5 days, only thing is I keep the car idling for some time once it starts before I leave (I do that with all my vehicles ) that reduces the initial harshness by leaps and bounds.

All in all, I would say I am happy with the decision to go for fully synthetic engine oil, next one I will try the Mobil Delvac as I've heard a lot about it.

Coming to my query: After changing oil of my R15 (Motul 5100: excellent) and Chevvy Beat, I have developed some psychological thingy that DIY oil changes are better than doing it at company service centers. So Honda Brio is due for a oil change in next 1500 kms. Last time I asked the service guy he said the specific oil for Honda cars is not available over the counters and I need to get it done from them. No option. I dont believe a single word of
his.
So which one is recommended for Brio ?Also, Can I get the oil filter of Honda over the counter in any local shop ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks