Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2007, 10:57   #121
GTO
Team-BHP Support

True. But please make sure that they fill the synthetic lube in front of you.
Old 4th February 2007, 19:40   #122
BHPian

Hi

My XETA is ready for the First Oil Change, And I want to go for Castrol rather than Mobil 1(Mineral)..!
Just wanted to know of The best Product Varient in Castrol apart from GTX, Magnatec is good but its not available in 15W-40 ( Which is specified by TATA), has anyone used Castrol EDGE...Could anyone list out the probable pricing for Magnatec and EDGE...Will Using a 10 W-40 rather than 15 W-40 will not harm my engine ( XETA-CNG-Pet)
Old 4th February 2007, 23:46   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will Using a 10 W-40 rather than 15 W-40 will not harm my engine ( XETA-CNG-Pet)
Logically,it shudn't.
Go ahead and try it out!
Old 5th February 2007, 02:07   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Could anyone list out the probable pricing for Magnatec and EDGE...Will Using a 10 W-40 rather than 15 W-40 will not harm my engine ( XETA-CNG-Pet)
Nitrous has given you a technical answer.
Castrol Magnatec costs Rs.900/- for 4 liters. Castrol Edge is almost the same price as Mobil 1 (about Rs.650 per liter)
Between the two, I'd stick to Mobil1. I've read some "not good" things about Edge.

If price is an issue, go for the Magnatec (semi synth)
Old 5th February 2007, 06:45   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
...Will Using a 10 W-40 rather than 15 W-40 will not harm my engine
I am using 5W50 (OWS - synthetic) on my SWIFT for the past one month and I am able to see the difference - the engine runs smoother than before.

Last edited by goldsun : 5th February 2007 at 06:46. Reason: speeling error
Old 10th February 2007, 09:20   #126
Team-BHP Support

So I thought I'll give my 7 yea lancer a car spa.

Called the HM service centre here and asked them which engine oil they used. They use a HM engine oil and they dont know whether it's mineral or synthetic.

I told them I was interested in putting shell helix ultra 12W50:

Shell in India - Shell Helix Products

He tells me they are not recommended by HM but if i insist then he will put.

Also I read here that the engine needs to be flushed. To this he said it cannot be done as they are against flushing as it causes heavy wear and tear even for those 20 mins.

They advise to drain out the old oil. Then pour in the new one and run the engine. They open the drain till the new oil just starts to come out and then they seal it back.

Should i do this?
Old 10th February 2007, 16:10   #127
Senior - BHPian

@vid6639:
Since ur car is 7 years old, i suggest u send ur car elsewhere instead of this "bird-brain" HM service centre.

The service advisor u spoke to, has no idea what he's speaking about.
Take the car to any of the reputed multi-brand car service centre.
Old 10th February 2007, 16:26   #128
Team-BHP Support

nitrous, I cant really do that as it's a company car and I can't change the service point.

these guys are ridiculous and I'm trying to live with these guys. They have no clue at all even about the type of oil they have.

btw the shell helix ultra was 15W50. Is that correct for the lancer?

Any recommended flush?
Old 10th February 2007, 22:55   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
He tells me they are not recommended by HM but if i insist then he will put.
Vid, I can safely comment on this, as you know.

If you must go to HM for this, please do what is advised here, as the engineers you seem to be talking to are truly pea-brained.

The Shell Helix Ultra surpasses all specified requirements as specified by Mitsubishi. It is an truly respected and hugely popular oil, especially in Australia, where people have known and loved the lancer and put it to some serious use.

The Shell Helix Ultra 15W50 is absolutely fine for your lancer.

Quote:
Also I read here that the engine needs to be flushed. To this he said it cannot be done as they are against flushing as it causes heavy wear and tear even for those 20 mins.

They advise to drain out the old oil. Then pour in the new one and run the engine. They open the drain till the new oil just starts to come out and then they seal it back.

Should i do this?
Absolute rubbish and horsedung. Heavy wear and tear??

I used Abro Motor Flush. The instructions are to pour it into a cold engine along with your existing old oil, run the car for a few minutes and drain the oil. It takes no scientist to figure out that there will be no wear and tear here. The chemicals in the flush will merely dislodge oil deposits from the engine and make sure it flows out with the old oil.

Once that is done, you are free to add the synthetic oil.

You want my advice? Get everything done at the HM service, and request for NO oil change.
Then buy a Lancer Oil filter, 4 litres of Oil (you will need 3.3L) and the motor flush and take your car to a good pump. I suggest the shell pump at Lavelle Road Junction.
Get them to put the flush in front of you. Time the running, get it drained, refilled with Helix Ultra and put a new oil filter. It's simple and won't take you a minute over 20.
Old 10th February 2007, 23:01   #130
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Sam and nitrous for the advice. I figured these were talking ****. I read your thread about how to use the flush and realised that these guys didn't even know how to use the flush.

Will go and get the flush and get everything done by next week.
Old 10th February 2007, 23:19   #131
Team-BHP Support

Vidyut, we had a chat in the morning. I told you that your service center guys are giving cock and bull story. Also I told you to go to Sam's Spa thread...

Please understand that these service center guys are trained to say these.

We'll talk about it tomorrow when you come home.
Old 25th March 2007, 00:50   #132
BHPian

does synthetic oil decreases the 0-100 time as well??? is there any notable change in acceleration of the car? i own a zen...want to get the engine oil replaced. i love to rev my engine a lot. should i go for synthetic or semi-synthetic oil??
Old 25th March 2007, 06:36   #133
BHPian

I have changed Oil (Mineral to OWS synthetic) and Spark Plugs (OWS Iridium) at the same time. I could see a noticeable difference in performance. But could not say whether it is the spark plug or the oil that has resulted in the improvement.
Old 25th March 2007, 10:12   #134
BHPian

@ Vid, Apparently HM recommends Servo and other brands are not approved by HM Mitsubishi in India..!

However I always choose to get the Oil change-Castrol done from outside, Although I always purchase the OEM filter from the Service statio for 147 rupees.

If the Service center gave you the option " That if you insist", then go ahead Buy the Oil and get it done there-You are paying for the service na..So they won't deny your oil and it won't matter much to them in anycase if the car is out of warranty.
Old 25th March 2007, 10:20   #135
Team-BHP Support

Yup they recommend only Servo. had a heated discussion with the HM engineer in bangalore. I called the HM chennai factory and they gave me the HM guy contact stationed in bangalore. He claimed that Mitsubishi Japan recommends only Servo. I asked him can you tell me if you get servo in japan that they are recommending it. I told him nowhere else will you get mineral oil other than india then how can you tell me that the oil is not recommended with the car and not tested.

After all that I went on the hunt for Synthetic oil Mobil1 or Shell ultra. I got ridiculous prices above 3K for 4 litres for both. I gave up and put the servo back in.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks