Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2017, 02:46   #4621
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Get your oil changed elsewhere and then turn up at the MASS. Don't take outside oil and land up at the MASS. That should take care of it.
Yes that is a possibility Sir, but suppose his car is due for the 3rd free service at 10k kms, which mandates recorded engine oil change at an authorised workshop for warranty reasons, how should one proceed then??

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 02:53   #4622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Yes that is a possibility Sir, but suppose his car is due for the 3rd free service at 10k kms, which mandates recorded engine oil change at an authorised workshop for warranty reasons, how should one proceed then??

Regards,
Shashi
The first few oil changes feel free to use even mineral oil, as there are lots of small ground up steel fragments in the engine that will smoothen out and mix with the oil as the engine gets run in. For all those - use whatever oil the SA recommends. After that .. you have much more flexibility.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 07:23   #4623
Senior - BHPian

Ground up steel fragments - things are a lot better these days on every engine manufacturing shop floor, with better tools, close machining tolerances and hospital level cleanliness in assembly lines.

Some decades ago, the first couple of thousand kilometres of actual use was the final machining process of the engine components, and that resulted in the metal scarf falling off and being deposited in the oil; which is why two oil changes were recommended in the running in period.

These days almost every make does not ask for oil to be changed in this fashion, and many have every change, including the first, to be done after 5000/10000kms, as the case may be.

It is still good practice to change the oil once after 1000km or so, out of abundant caution. Anything more than that is a waste of money.
Sawyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 13:29   #4624
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anycatd View Post
Do the MASS allow usage of engine oils outside their dealership? I want to replace the oil on our third service with Liqui Moly one. Will it void my warranty?
I think you should be a bit careful when using oils that are not recommended by the manufacturer. They can use it as an excuse to deny any future warranty claims.

I changed my car's engine oil to 5W-40 synthetic when it was still in warranty. And yes I took a calculated risk knowing that Shell Helix Ultra will not let me down. More than 7 years later I haven't regretted the decision.

Quote:
I am not convinced with the Castro oils they use. Also heard from a FIAT trained technician that the Castrol oils in India are not of the same quality as in the west. He runs a garage for his passion of FIAT cars. Since our Brezza is also FIAT driven I've taken his advice and will use a European manufactured oil.
I would recommend you stick to whatever oil is recommended by Maruti till the car warranty expires. And get the oil filled only by the dealer using an oil filter supplied by them.

A MASS will agree to fill 3rd party recommended oil if it is of the approved grade/API classification. Once again, you need to decide if the risk to the car warranty is worthwhile.

While I don't use Castrol in my Palio 1.6 (Shell Helix HX7 10W-40 is the preferred oil), this FIAT trained technician's contention that Castrol India's products are not as good as those in Europe is IMHO only hearsay. Take it with a pinch of salt.
Old 14th February 2017, 15:32   #4625
BANNED

I used to use a mineral oil for the first 10,000 miles (15,000km) to run in the engine. When my Civic came with a synth as the original fill, I stayed with it. But this service I found that the local Honda dealership had no synth (SHAME on Honda) so went to a semi-synth. So I agree, that running-in an engine on a mineral oil is a good practice, but modern engines are made of batter materials to better tolerances. Days when HM used to proclaim that the Amby engines are manufactured with zero, two or four sleeves are over.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 16:28   #4626
BANNED

It was during my Ritz ownership days when MASS used to fill-in mineral oil till 20K service. Post that it was synthetic always. Initial services were at 1K, 5K and 10K with all 3 having mineral oil used (this is in 2010).

But when I got the Swift, it was synthetic oil from Day 1. Maruti adds synthetic and sends the car from factory so subsequent services were with synthetic oil too. But here the change was no oil change at 1K and 5K service (first & second service) but oil is changed at 10K kms service.
Old 14th February 2017, 18:45   #4627
BHPian

I had made up my mind to use Liqui Moly oil which has good positive reviews on all international forums. I'll ask my SA if it's possible to use it. If not then I'm going with Magnatec as I don't intend to shell out on Edge.

Another question. Will putting a good synthetic oil quiten the diesel engine? Will the difference happen only with SAE40 oils? As 40 is thicker than 30.
Old 14th February 2017, 19:09   #4628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I had made up my mind to use Liqui Moly oil which has good positive reviews on all international forums. I'll ask my SA if it's possible to use it. If not then I'm going with Magnatec as I don't intend to shell out on Edge.

Another question. Will putting a good synthetic oil quiten the diesel engine? Will the difference happen only with SAE40 oils? As 40 is thicker than 30.
Oil additives are not required if you use a good quality oil (especially synthetic) and change it at or before the recommended interval.

Don't get swayed and pay extra for additives that will provide negligible or even zero long term benefits.

Yes, you may find slightly lower engine noise when you shift to a thicker synthetic oil.

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th February 2017 at 19:15. Reason: Typos
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 19:18   #4629
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Oil additives are not required if you use a good quality oil (especially synthetic) and change it at or before the recommended interval.

Don't get swayed and pay extra for additives that will provide negligible or even zero long term benefits.
He was planning to go with the Liqui Moly's engine oil- Click to Open
Leoshashi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 21:42   #4630
BHPian

Quote:

A small advice out of my experience. Just the day before when you are planning to take your car on its service, phone call one of the MASS in your area and state your condition of your preferred oil usage and on acceptance of which you will bring your car to the service centre. But yeah the oil filter must be availed from the service centre only. Do make sure also to replace the drain plug washer also (safe side as you are changing oil and it hardly costs 5 rupees or so). Also if you are planning to stay with the car during its service do mention this request also prior going to service centre. If you take your car to the MASS and then ask the SA about your oil usage condition then it seems to be a very less likely chance of your request be accepted.

All the best.
rohiT Nonu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 23:04   #4631
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
He was planning to go with the Liqui Moly's engine oil-
Ah my bad. I thought he meant the oil additive

Either way Liqui Moly oil is certainly not what someone may call Maruti approved oil.

Which also gives rise to the question if Liqui Moly, why not Shell or Mobil 1?
Old 14th February 2017, 23:21   #4632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Either way Liqui Moly oil is certainly not what someone may call Maruti approved oil.
Definitely not. The 99% of the SA's at Maruti aren't even aware of this brand.
Its guys like us who are out of the warranty period who love experimenting and going with the best thing possible.

Quote:
Which also gives rise to the question if Liqui Moly, why not Shell or Mobil 1?
I'm not aware which reviews have made anycatd opt for Liqui Moly, but I'm sure he must have taken an informed decision.

Regarding the question "why not shell/Mobil", we had a Swift ZXi which was mainly used by my mom. We tried both Mobil1 and Liqui Moly(LM), and the engine felt way smoother and refined in when LM was used. In addition to the "feeling", the average mileage improved significantly when we used LM.

Since then, we have never used Mobil/Shell. Shell and Mobil are excellent, no doubt, but its just that Liqui moly felt a bit better to me.

Even when I had to opt for synthetic oil for my M800, I went with Liqui Moly. BHPian Saket77 is also in love with the engine oil after he used it on his Zen.

Quoting him,

Quote:
Small review of the oil: Every penny spent on this oil is worth it. It has changed the character of the engine to a great degree. The engine now revs even more freely, with a great sporty note. The smoothness has gone a few notches above and the car pulls effortlessly beyond the three digit mark on the speedo (tested on the expressway & not regular street roads). In short, the engine flows like water. I am all sold to this oil.
Link to his review

So atleast for the time being, its Liqui Moly for us.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 14th February 2017 at 23:23.
Leoshashi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 23:35   #4633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Definitely not. The 99% of the SA's at Maruti aren't even aware of this brand. Its guys like us who are out of the warranty period who love experimenting and going with the best thing possible.
I'd agree with your view. TBHPians do take informed decisions and experiment. And that's what sets us apart.

However @anycatd's car is new and I am more than a little cautious when it comes to experimenting with oils especially when the car is in warranty.

Quote:
Since then, we have never used Mobil/Shell. Shell and Mobil are excellent, no doubt, but its just that Liqui moly felt a bit better to me.
Sounds interesting. May try LM or Mobil 1 in my car this year. Although I must add my long (~ 8 years) and very satisfactory experience with SHU 5W-40 makes me pause to think.

And thanks for sharing the restoration thread. Very nice read.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 23:38   #4634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

However @anycatd's car is new and I am more than a little cautious when it comes to experimenting with oils especially when the car is in warranty.
Wholeheartedly agree. If warranty is at stake, he is better off with Maruti recommended oils. Some workshops can act very stingy when it comes to warranty claims, and I will never want such a thing to happen to him.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 23:49   #4635
BHPian

Quote:
I think Maruti does use Liqui Moly cleaning products. The name should be familiar to them.

I had actually thought of putting in a Liqui Moly oil after 1000 kms but then decided it should be given atleast a year to run in although it would be just round the 6k mark. I expect it to run a lot more this year so was thinking about a fully synthetic one. I completely forgot about what the SA might think about my decision and the warranty issues. I'll be talking to the SA a couple of weeks before my service due date. Hopefully I can get things done as I have been planning for a year.

Once the warranty period ends I guess I would change the oil myself and dispose the oil off at neighbors 2 wheeler garage where there is a barrel where they collect used oil. Where do we get the oil filter? Thinking of doing it for our second car, a f10d WagonR. Have already discussed about the oil choices with @Leoshashi.

Last edited by anycatd : 14th February 2017 at 23:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks