Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2017, 13:32   #4771
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
One doubt: The Liqui Moly engine oil which I have in my 800, is certified as BMW and Mercedes Long Life oil. Does it come under extended drain category??
I am no automobile engine designer or oil manufacturer. But I am pretty good at maintaining my vehicles not just the outsides but the innards too. So, let me take a stab at this.

In my experience gathered over decades of using 2 and 4 wheelers, drain intervals are set by the engine manufacturer, not the oil manufacturer. Why? It is mainly the engine designer/manufacturer who has the full technical characteristics of the engine, most of which are proprietary secrets and unavailable to outsiders. So it is they who are the authority on what oil should be used and what is the recommended drain interval for each engine. With the exception of a select few people outside the company (for e.g. part manufacturers), the rest of us car driving or bike riding humanity just play guessing games.

I've read some of what Liqui Moly says with interest and some oils are good for up to 40K kms (!!) but LM also add a caveat and recommend you to follow manufacturer guidelines. Which brings me back to square one i.e. read the manual and follow its advice.

BTW I was in an email conversation with a bloke from LM about the synthetic GB oil and suggested engine oil for my car. Sadly his recommended oil isn't available in India as yet. Well, may be some other time.

In case you are interested, Amsoil, one of the most well known US synthetic oil brands, is now available in India. Had a word with their distributor Greaves Cotton who are based out of Pune. Amsoil's Signature series of synthetic oils are very good and have a drain interval of 25K miles or 40K kms. Read more here http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=ASLQT-EA

Quote:
I have run 10,885 kms on that oil to be precise, but it still hasn't lost its color, texture or smoothness. I am changing it soon just because it has run 10k kms and you had recommended to follow manufacturer's drain interval, irrespective of the type of oil. So, should I change immediately or should I extend it till 15k kms, given that they are certified as Long Life oil for cars like BMW. Using such an oil in a Japanese car like 800, is like subjecting the oil to a relaxing government job.
I think you could pull on a couple of 1000 kms. But don't extend it too much. At the end of the day Maruti knows best given the era in which these engines were designed and manufactured. A lot has changed since then.

EDIT: Amsoil Oil available at Amazon India: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00EXBSLBC?ref_=pe_1271271_52946411Currently OOS but they'll be back. They're also planning to get a 1 US quart (0.946 litre) can. Contact details on Amazon's site in the Q&A section for this product.

Last edited by R2D2 : 17th September 2017 at 13:48. Reason: Added info on Amsoil at Amazon India
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 13:13   #4772
BHPian

I have a 2017 Maruti Baleno (5K run, K12M engine for which Maruti recommends 0W20) and have finally got my paws on some Shell HX8 Fully Synthetic (MGO branded) 0W20 oil

I would like to change the oil at the 5K service, given that the running period is just over and the likely oil filled from the factory is Servo semi-synth.

Questions are (given that this is a fully sealed MGO branded MGP can that meets the exact specifications of Maruti):
1> Will using this have any negative impact on the warranty? Maruti's recommended oil change intervals are every 10K so I don't see how I am violating that by changing it at more frequent intervals.
2> Will the dealer agree to use this oil (I don't see why they should not since it is fully up to spec)?
Old 11th October 2017, 16:35   #4773
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
1> Will using this have any negative impact on the warranty? Maruti's recommended oil change intervals are every 10K so I don't see how I am violating that by changing it at more frequent intervals.
As long as you have this service performed by the dealer and it is put on record that an MGP oil was used it will not be a problem. Make sure you change the oil filter and the drain bolt crush washer as well. Please ensure you retain the oil purchase receipt.

Quote:
2> Will the dealer agree to use this oil (I don't see why they should not since it is fully up to spec)?
Now that's a bit difficult to answer because there are some dealers who do not use oil purchased from outside. They say it is difficult to ascertain if oil is genuine but I believe it's because of commercial interests. Isn't this very oil available at your MASS?

And then there are some dealers who will happily perform this for service at their standard charge for labour + parts.

Last edited by R2D2 : 11th October 2017 at 16:37.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2017, 20:22   #4774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Isn't this very oil available at your MASS?

Actually I checked, since if it was available I would gladly have them supply and fill it and avoid the hassle of buying it from outside (where it isn't that commonly available anyway). I just got an ambiguous answer stating that they get oil in big drums, the make of the oil keeps changing, and they will install what they have in stock at the time! I have also read too many reports on this forum of MASS, when asked to put in fully synthetic oil, use 5W40 oil that is only approved for the diesel MJD engine and a big no-no for cars where 0W20 is specified as there is a significant difference in viscosity.
Old 11th October 2017, 22:17   #4775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
In last 6 months I tested 2 new oils, 1 pending. All are semi synthetic.

1) ZIC X7 5w30
2) Motul 4100 Power 5w30
3) Eneos 5w30

ZICs performance was poor because mileage went down.
Motul is better, this is what I am currently using in my Honda.
Eneos is Japans worlds best brand, and possibly worlds best brand. Will test it near future.

Eneos is not available easily though I was able get it It is manufactured by Tide Water in India with collaboration with Eneos Japan. My supplier is also soon to receive 'Eneos Sustina', which is 100% synthetic high grade oil, imported from Japan.

Both Motul and Eneos are known to have good additive package.

Always refer owners manual to never exceed quantity of oil. If it says 3L, buy 3L and not 3.5L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Wanted to share this info to you, i had shared this few pages back on same brand. After few months I am convinced, so i want to emphasize it again-

http://eneos.co.in/products/eneos-fine-5w-40/

I have ddis and ivtec both and I am using same eneos 5w40 in both. Engine runs so much better than 5w30. Hell it runs better than delvac (ddis) or idemistu (ivtec). (and yes, 40 oil actually performed better than 30 oil on ivtec, specially in summer (less evaporation), its very smooth)

I have also tried their 5w30 which was OK, but 5w40 has high moly content and cleaning agents and better base oil (hence more expensive than 5w30).

If you can get hold of this oil, do try it out. Do note that this is semi-syn. My experience has been better with mineral or semi, rather than fully syn.

I want to provide further update on findings of my experiment over last few months. Earlier I reported that 5w40 was better than 5w30. I was wrong.

What happens is that whenever you change oil you will always feel positive change initially. However this change did not last for too long. I started to feel car heavier, engine strained and mileage drop by 1-2 km/l. I dumped the semi-syn Eneos 5w40 and purchased S-Oil Seven Red1 5w30. Its a 100% synthetic from korea and specifically for petrol engines, and is one of the best oils I have used, engine feels peppy, mileage went up and i can now hear ivtec engage. For Honda's, 40 weight is a big no, i can tell this from my experience. For Indian conditions, stick to 30 only.

Here is the link to the S-Oil
http://www.s-oil7.com/eng/product/list.jsp

They are very open about revealing the specs and additive package, you can find it in the spec sheet pdf attachments on their website. They also have Gold version, but that appears to be better suited for diesel, as it has different additive package.
aerohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 23:12   #4776
Senior - BHPian

I drive a Kwid 1.0L and the owner's manual is confusing me with regards to the suggested engine oil. Below are the suggestions from two different pages.
  • SAE 10W 30
  • SAE 15W 40

Can anyone please advise here. I do not want to be dependent on a Service Center's understanding.

Also, quite strangely, the owner's manual does not have any details about the electrical. Like the headlight, fog-light, brake lamps etc. I remember my Bullet's owner manual had these details. Is there anyway, I can get the details (or a related thread where I can put this query?)
Old 22nd October 2017, 00:00   #4777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
I drive a Kwid 1.0L and the owner's manual is confusing me with regards to the suggested engine oil. Below are the suggestions from two different pages.
  • SAE 10W 30
  • SAE 15W 40

Can anyone please advise here. I do not want to be dependent on a Service Center's understanding.
Both grades are acceptable but 10W30 shall be preferred. It will give you better engine smoothness and slightly better FE.

If you have a habit of accelerating quickly or driving at high engine rpm (shifting to higher gear late; at a higher kmph) go for 15W40.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2017, 22:59   #4778
Senior - BHPian

My 2013 Fortuner manual says that there are 4 options of engine oils I can choose from -
1. 5W-30 (use upto -35 C) Preferred
2. 10W-30 (use upto -18 C)
3. 15W-40 (use upto -12 C)
4. 20W-50 (use upto -7 C)

If I decide to use my car only in Delhi it looks like I can choose either of them.

However, is 5W-30 the best for engine given that the manual says its preferred?
Old 8th November 2017, 13:24   #4779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
My 2013 Fortuner manual says that there are 4 options of engine oils I can choose from - However, is 5W-30 the best for engine given that the manual says its preferred?
Toyota's OEM engine oil is now 5W-30, previously 15W-40. You could use a thinner oil like 5W-30 without apprehension especially if it's a synthetic. If you do a lot of highway running consider using a 5W-40 synthetic.
Old 9th November 2017, 16:46   #4780
BHPian

Quote:
Depending on ambient temps, the oil grades recommended for this engine are:

a) 20W-50
b) 15W-40
c) 10W-30
d) 5W-30

That last 2 are fuel saving oils.
For Altis petrol, run only on highways, what's a good fully synthetic engine oil that you'd suggest? Castrol Edge 5W40? Valvoline?
Old 9th November 2017, 17:22   #4781
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
For Altis petrol, run only on highways, what's a good fully synthetic engine oil that you'd suggest? Castrol Edge 5W40? Valvoline?
Neither of the above.

I'd suggest Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40, as I've been using it for over 8 years now. It's very good.

I will be trying out Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 for the 1st time when the car goes for its annual service soon. Depending on how things work out, I'll probably switch to 5W-30 for its lower viscosity and marginally better mileage.

However, if you do select 5W-30 then it's gotta be only synthetic. So, tied for 2nd choice:

a) One of the Liqui Moly oils. LM had recommended (via email correspondence) Special Tec LL 5W-30 OR Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40.

b) Amsoil Signature 5W-30 - Amsoil Signature

c) Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 Mobil 1 ESP
Old 9th November 2017, 18:30   #4782
BHPian

Quote:
Neither of the above.

I'd suggest Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40, as I've been using it for over 8 years now. It's very good.
One oil dealer suggested me this Shell oil that you are suggesting. However, is it semi synthetic? He said that this Shell oil is semi synthetic, and SL grade.

Why not the Castrol Edge? or 5W40 grade for that matter?
Old 9th November 2017, 18:56   #4783
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
One oil dealer suggested me this Shell oil that you are suggesting. However, is it semi synthetic? He said that this Shell oil is semi synthetic, and SL grade.
Your dealer is misinformed. Shell Helix Ultra is full synthetic and API SN. It's Ferrari's choice of engine oil so you really can't go wrong when you use SHU.

Shell's semi synthetic is Helix HX7. Helix HX5 is mineral. There is also a HX8 synthetic but I don't think it's available in India just yet.

Shell Helix Ultra and HX8

Quote:
Why not the Castrol Edge? or 5W40 grade for that matter?
Well, my suggestions are a matter of preference and based on experience + reviews that I've read. Castrol Edge is good but there are better options.

Last edited by R2D2 : 9th November 2017 at 18:59.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 12:28   #4784
Distinguished - BHPian

@swapnil4585, one more option that I forgot to mention in my post is Motul X-cess 5W-40 - Motul X-cess

This is a really good oil. Along with SHU it should be among the top 2 or 3 choices of 5W-40 API SN engine oils.

EDIT: Yet another 5W-40 for your consideration: Amsoil 5W-40 EU Car formula ESP

But this one isn't as good as their top-of-the-line Signature series of oils.

Last edited by R2D2 : 10th November 2017 at 12:37. Reason: Edit/Add
Old 13th November 2017, 11:45   #4785
BHPian

Quote:
@swapnil4585, one more option that I forgot to mention in my post is ..
R2, I put in the Shell oil suggested by you (Shell Helix HX8 5-40), and did a 400 km trip yesterday. I feel that the oil is a tad heavy as the car took more time than usual to accelerate and the fuel economy was down by 1-2 kilometres.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks