Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2017, 07:22   #4816
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Where in Bangalore can I get original Mobil oil for my Diesel Nexon? I understand the market is flooded with fake stuff. Also grade I need to check, as when I purchased the car the service guys said 5W 40, now at first service theyre saying 15W 30 (Same as Hexa). Then quantity, one guy said 5.2 litres, while another said 7 litres. Think I misplaced the manual.
Old 16th December 2017, 07:42   #4817
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Where in Bangalore can I get original Mobil oil for my Diesel Nexon? I understand the market is flooded with fake stuff. Also grade I need to check, as when I purchased the car the service guys said 5W 40, now at first service theyre saying 15W 30 (Same as Hexa). Then quantity, one guy said 5.2 litres, while another said 7 litres. Think I misplaced the manual.
Get your manual from here >
http://service.tatamotors.com/conten...s-manual#Nexon

and then check what it recommends !
ptaneja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 09:39   #4818
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. For Nexon I'll need 5 litres of Mobil Super 3000 TMGO 5W 30, it says. I'm new to diesel so is this Mobil oil good enough or is there something better that I can use? Engine is already butter smooth. And service being still far away, I have time. Now, if only somebody could point out a shop in Bangalore where I can source the original stuff, it would be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2017, 12:44   #4819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Thanks. For Nexon I'll need 5 litres of Mobil Super 3000 TMGO 5W 30, it says. I'm new to diesel so is this Mobil oil good enough or is there something better that I can use? Engine is already butter smooth. And service being still far away, I have time. Now, if only somebody could point out a shop in Bangalore where I can source the original stuff, it would be great.
JK Automobiles, JC Road.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2018, 12:36   #4820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer911 View Post
Not that its any of my business, but last I checked, the prices of Shell Oil at the Shell Pumps wasnt competitive at all with market prices in my city. I ultimately ended up ordering from amazon and got the fully synthetic Shell Helix Ultra 5W50 (or 40) dont remember for sure, for Rs. 3100 (4 Litre can)when the Shell pump wasnt ready to sell below Rs. 5200. I think the MRP was Rs. 5500/- at that time.
I had the exact same experience, shell petrol pumps are rip offs from an engine oil perspective. Better to find a dealer who sells genuine stuff and cross verify with oem if product is genuine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anycatd View Post
Finally my third service is booked for April 1. Spoke to my service advisor about the oil change. He said I can use Liqui Moly but they will put a remark on the service report. I guess I have no option but to go for Castrol oils. What should I do now? Go for Magnatec 5w-30 or Edge 5w-40? Any user of Edge here who can speak about it's performance? Edge is 5w40, how will it affect the fuel economy? I expect the Brezza to run for 10k+ this year. Another way to dodge this would be to fill magnatec at the dealer and replace it outside to liqui moly. Use the drained oil for wagonr's oil change.
Bumping up is old thread, I had to fill in 5w-40 Castrol Full Synth as well yesterday for my 3rd free service ( Ciaz Automatic Petrol). Wanted to understand your feedback from using the Castrol oil so far, any change in driving dynamics?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 7th January 2018 at 14:12. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote button (QUOTE+) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 8th January 2018, 15:04   #4821
BHPian

For those interested: Shell Helix Ultra 550041109 5W-40 API SN Fully Synthetic Car Engine Oil (4 L) available as a lightning deal on Amazon today for 2899 Rs.

https://www.amazon.in/Shell-Helix-55...RF3AJ6NX3AJ806
GJ01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2018, 12:23   #4822
Distinguished - BHPian

For the first time since 2009 instead of Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 my car was treated to Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP. Now I look forward to the long drive back home to Pune to check how well this oil performs in comparison to SHU.
Old 20th January 2018, 21:27   #4823
Senior - BHPian

Just a heads up :

Liqui Moly Toptec 5W40 (5 litres) is available for ₹ 3769 on Amazon India exclusively for Prime users

Effective price if you pay by HDFC Debit/Credit card is ₹ 3392 and ₹ 3569 if you pay by Amazon Pay Balance.

Deal expires in two hours

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-screenshot_20180120212131_01.png

Also bought Liqui Moly Ceratec for ₹ 2016 (after HDFC cashback)
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2018, 23:56   #4824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin49 View Post
Bumping up is old thread, I had to fill in 5w-40 Castrol Full Synth as well yesterday for my 3rd free service ( Ciaz Automatic Petrol). Wanted to understand your feedback from using the Castrol oil so far, any change in driving dynamics?
I've used Mobil 1 0w40. It's been 8 months and the performance didn't let me complain. Done about 6k kms on it. In all probability will continue the same oil in the next service in April.

By the way, u filled 5w40 in a petrol car? Are you sure about the grade? Seems too thick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
For the first time since 2009 instead of Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 my car was treated to Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP. Now I look forward to the long drive back home to Pune to check how well this oil performs in comparison to SHU.
Let is know. I was thinking of trying Shell this time instead of Mobil. Changing brands can be detrimental? I have some spare litre of oil from last year's service left. Can I still use it?

Last edited by anycatd : 21st January 2018 at 00:02.
Old 21st January 2018, 11:10   #4825
BHPian

The recommended oil was actually 0W20, funnily the dealer showed me a copy of circular that Maruti also now allows 5w30 and 5w40 oils. After doing some research I figured out that 0w20 synthetic is actually a very expensive oil and hence dealers don't carry it. Shell was quoting 5k for 4 litres. That being said, with 5w40 the engine nvh seems to have gone down and appears smoother too, only issue is fuel economy has come down from 13kmpl to about 12.5kmpl.
ashwin49 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2018, 12:32   #4826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin49 View Post
Quote:
By the way, u filled 5w40 in a petrol car? Are you sure about the grade? Seems too thick.
I second the point raised by anycatd. 5W-40 is not a good one to go for Maruti Petrols. Unfortunately, Pratham Motors, Bangalore filled the same on my Ignis Petrol AMT recently and I had to get it changed to 0W-20. For the 45 days that I drove with the 5W-40, there was a mileage drop on the Ignis AMT by 1+ kmpl.

As per the manual it is 0W-20 for the Ciaz Petrol as well: URL

And it is not very expensive - check this post: URL

If you have a copy of the circular, could you share it here?

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 21st January 2018 at 12:33.
Old 21st January 2018, 15:01   #4827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I always ran Full Synthetic oil in my palios. I have tried Shell Helix Ultra, Mobil 1, Motul 8100 X-Cess and Valvoline Synpower. Out of all these, Motul was by far the best followed by the cheap yet very good Valvoline.
I am still on semi-synth for my Palio (drive just about 5000 kms per year). I kept switching between Shell - Motul - Castrol (change interval 5000 kms or one year, whichever is earlier). There wasn't much difference - a couple of times Magnatec felt better.

However, this time I tried out Valvoline Durablend - it is just more than a month since the change and drove about 1,000 kms since the change. Definitely feels better than earlier oils. And, the colour of the oil hasn't turned dark brown yet (which used to happen in about 500 kms earlier).

Reason for change - apart from the post above and other favourable feedback here, tried it out on my bike first (Valvoline Super 4T Champ - bike is 10 year old Yamaha Gladiator, with 50000+ kms on the odo). Bike was also on the usual diet of Shell - Motul - Castrol - Gulf brands, only difference being the oil change frequency was six months or 5,000 kms whichever is earlier. Two differences noticed (a) engine runs much cooler and a tad quiet; (b) early morning starts were quicker.

However, the above experiences could have been aided by the cooler winter conditions now prevalent.

However, based on both the car & bike experiences, I feel that Valvoline is definitely VFM.

Cost for 3.5 litre (Durablend) for the car was Rs. 1200/- and 1 litre (4T Champ) for the bike was Rs. 380/-
Old 21st January 2018, 19:53   #4828
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just stick to the manufacturer's recommendation instead of playing guessing games with the oil which can only be detrimental to the engine. If the engine needs xW-20 do not use xW-30/40/50. Normally the owners manual specifies an ambient temp vs viscosity chart. Just go by that. Nobody knows the engine better than the car/engine manufacturer.

Quote:
Let is know. I was thinking of trying Shell this time instead of Mobil. Changing brands can be detrimental? I have some spare litre of oil from last year's service left. Can I still use it?
I used Shell for 9 years before changing over to Mobil as a trial. So far so good. The 5W-30 should give me better mileage at least on paper. Otherwise there has been no discernible change between the two oils. And yes, Mobil 1 is more expensive and makes me wonder if its worth the extra money. Since it's been <1 week since the change I probably need some more time to evaluate it further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
And, the colour of the oil hasn't turned dark brown yet (which used to happen in about 500 kms earlier).
Oil changing colour means its doing its job of acting as a cleaning agent. Contrary to common perceptions I'd be very worried if the oil does NOT change colour especially in a diesel. Think of what happens to soap solutions when dirty clothes are immersed. The clothes are clean but the water gets dirty. Detergents in engine oil perform the same function.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:09   #4829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Oil changing colour means its doing its job of acting as a cleaning agent. Contrary to common perceptions I'd be very worried if the oil does NOT change colour especially in a diesel
Oh! I never thought of that!! What I was thinking was that since the colour change (darkening) was lesser than earlier, the oil was holding up better :-(

BTW, by colour change I meant how the oil appears on the dipstick. In reality, the (used) drained oil is a lot more darker than how it appears on the dipstick.

Let me see what happens after another 500 kms...
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:20   #4830
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Oh! I never thought of that!! What I was thinking was that since the colour change (darkening) was lesser than earlier, the oil was holding up better :-(

BTW, by colour change I meant how the oil appears on the dipstick. In reality, the (used) drained oil is a lot more darker than how it appears on the dipstick.

Let me see what happens after another 500 kms...
Yes, oil in the pan appears lot darker, than on the dip stick brought about by the quantity of oil and incident light rays. Just like the ocean's waters appears inky blue where deep and light blue/green where shallow.

Forget what the sundry self styled experts at FNGs and road side mechanics tell you. Ascertaining the quality of oil by how it appears on the dipstick or rubbing a drop between your fingers is about as scientific a method as thumping a tyre's sidewall to check tyre pressure. The ONLY way to check oil is to send it to a lab for chemical analysis.

Since lab tests are out of the purview of a large majority of owners, car/engine AND oil manufacturers specify drain intervals based on running conditions. Just stick to the drain intervals and oil grades/specs mentioned in the owners manual and your engine will be happy. And yeah, don't forget to change the filter at every oil refill. There are some smart-alec and once again self styled "expert" mechanics who believe one can extend the replacement intervals to 2x the recommended mileage. Couldn't be more wrong.

Last edited by R2D2 : 22nd January 2018 at 11:21.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed