Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2018, 17:08   #4831
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post

If you have a copy of the circular, could you share it here?
Attaching the Memo from Maruti to Dealers. I filled this in @ Bimal Mahadevapura. Welcome your comments here as the service booklet clearly mentions 0w20 as reccomended grade but Bimal showed me this memo for using Castrol Synthetic 5w40.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-maruti-bulletin-.jpeg  

ashwin49 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2018, 17:30   #4832
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin49 View Post
Attaching the Memo from Maruti to Dealers. I filled this in @ Bimal Mahadevapura. Welcome your comments here as the service booklet clearly mentions 0w20 as reccomended grade but Bimal showed me this memo for using Castrol Synthetic 5w40.
Strange but they haven't specified which engines those are for. Or, is it for all engines? What about xW-20 grade or do they now recommend using a heavier xW-30/40 oil?
Old 22nd January 2018, 20:03   #4833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Strange but they haven't specified which engines those are for. Or, is it for all engines? What about xW-20 grade or do they now recommend using a heavier xW-30/40 oil?
The memo mentions Petrol engines and because they never mention about specific cars or engines the dealer used this as a carte blanche for all petrol cars. Bimal SA also mentioned that they carry 0W20 but not in Synthetic , it was semi synth or mineral only.

Someone in the thread mentioned a Surakhsha bill for 0w20 synthetic oil, unfortunately no other dealer seems to carry that oil in Bangalore and you will neither find reasonably priced 0W20 synthetic oil in Amazon or other online sites. Shell petrol pump sells the same for 5k. Also, read the below site , which tells me that we in India are not alone in facing this issue:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...cars/index.htm
Old 23rd January 2018, 07:17   #4834
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The memo mentions Petrol engines and because they never mention about specific cars or engines the dealer used this as a carte blanche for all petrol cars. Bimal SA also mentioned that they carry 0W20 but not in Synthetic , it was semi synth or mineral only.

Someone in the thread mentioned a Surakhsha bill for 0w20 synthetic oil, unfortunately no other dealer seems to carry that oil in Bangalore and you will neither find reasonably priced 0W20 synthetic oil in Amazon or other online sites. Shell petrol pump sells the same for 5k. Also, read the below site , which tells me that we in India are not alone in facing this issue:

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...cars/index.htm
I felt the same initially but after some more searching I found it at a reasonable price but there is a heavy shipping cost being added:
https://www.amazon.in/Shell-Helix-HX.../dp/B075MP573F

The Best Bet for Bangaloreans is J K Automobiles, JC Road. I got the same MGO 0W-20 Shell Oil at J K Automobiles.
I agree that Mobil and Castrol 0W-20 Oils are on the higher side and not easily available even in JC Road. After having experienced 5W-40 for 45 days and then doing the change, I plan to stick to 0W-20. I will possibly carry the oil and give to them for the next Service.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 23rd January 2018 at 07:24.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 08:35   #4835
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
After having experienced 5W-40 for 45 days and then doing the change, I plan to stick to 0W-20. I will possibly carry the oil and give to them for the next Service.
Strangely, in my Ciaz ZXI AT, the engine NVH seems to have reduced a great deal and pick seems a lot smoother and engine "feels" more eager, not sure if it is due to the fact that this is the first oil change @ 10k. Considering factory filled is normally mineral it could also be the synthetic factor. I plan to run this for another 5k and possibly replace this at that point with Shell Helix 0W20. Hopefully dealer accepts the externally bought oil or I have to find a good MAAS who is more pliable.
Old 23rd January 2018, 09:04   #4836
Senior - BHPian

For my brand new diesel Tate Nexon - first oil change is stipulated at a whopping 15,000 Kms. Should I stick to that or get my own regime? (Say, in intervals of 5000 kms?) After all manufacturers know best.

Should I check the colour of oil since I'm nearing 5000 Kms?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 15:03   #4837
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
For my brand new diesel Tate Nexon - first oil change is stipulated at a whopping 15,000 Kms. Should I stick to that or get my own regime? (Say, in intervals of 5000 kms?) After all manufacturers know best.

If it is mineral/semi-synth used by TASS then i would recommend 7.5K change interval. If they use fully synth then stick to 15k interval
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2018, 17:45   #4838
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When your car is new and under warranty just stick to what the manufacturer says even if you feel otherwise. The main thing about warranties is to meet or exceed their recommendations. So, you could change @ 5K kms but make sure you have that done ONLY by the authorised dealer using recommended oil. Sometimes dealers say it is not necessary but if you insist they will agree.

Quote:
Colour of the oil has nothing to do with determining health of the oil or refill intervals.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 16:45   #4839
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Strangely, in my Ciaz ZXI AT, the engine NVH seems to have reduced a great deal and pick seems a lot smoother and engine "feels" more eager, not sure if it is due to the fact that this is the first oil change @ 10k. Considering factory filled is normally mineral it could also be the synthetic factor. I plan to run this for another 5k and possibly replace this at that point with Shell Helix 0W20. Hopefully dealer accepts the externally bought oil or I have to find a good MAAS who is more pliable.
First, check the manual of your car. The cars I've owned only mention the list of acceptable grades of engine oils in the manual. The dealer cannot force you to buy their particular oil. Raise the issue with the parent company if they are adamant. I faced a similar thing with my Honda City recently. I wanted to use my own oil this time so I checked the manual & told the dealer that I will be bringing my own oil. He said it wasn't allowed. I told him I will be bringing one of the oil grades specified in the manual & if they don't agree I will complain to Honda India. 10 minutes later they called back and said I can bring my own oil & I scheduled the servicing with them. The car was serviced on Saturday, and there was around 200ml oil remaining which they returned to me. In preliminary testing I find the engine power and pickup have improved post the servicing which maybe related to the oil, or maybe other factors.

Quote:

There must be some time limit (like 1 year) specified along with the kms of 15,000km. You might reach that first. If you haven't reached that time limit, no need to change, it will just be a waste.

Last edited by ampere : 1st February 2018 at 09:38. Reason: back to back posts merged
Old 31st January 2018, 21:14   #4840
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The fully synthetic MT lube is working its magic in my car's gearbox. Like some of LM's products this one also seem to take a bit of time and running to take effect.

Now, the shifts are **noticeably smoother** infact I am wondering if I should refer to Liqui Moly as "Liqui Magic" Heck I am glad I chose LM instead of the already very good OEM GB oil. The ONLY drawback I see is the cost, which at Rs 1900/litre, can seem prohibitive and raise eyebrows. And this is a GL4/GL5 oil which may not be compatible with trannys that that strictly require only GL4.

This MT oil reminds me that old '80s and 90s Hero Honda advertisement "Fill it, shut it, forget it."
Dear sir,

The MRP has been revised. A friend bought 11L oil from a LM Distributor and he paid close to Rs. 1100 per litre.

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_20180131_183350386.jpg

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_20180131_183355271.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 23:25   #4841
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Dear sir, The MRP has been revised. A friend bought 11L oil from a LM Distributor and he paid close to Rs. 1100 per litre.
Thanks Shashi but I think that Rs 1100/litre is primarily because your pal purchased 11 litres That's a lot of oil! I noticed the MRP is over Rs 1700.

I've done a recent long distance trip with driving at highway speeds (car maintenance update in Vid6639's long term ownership thread here) and the GB performed beautifully. Very slick shifts. Highly recommended if your transmission is compatible with this oil. I had also contacted LM Germany and the rep confirmed this oil will not negatively impact or deteriorate any part of the GB including the brass synchronisers. There have been some reports of GL5 lubes affecting synchronisers due to the sulphur content.

I need to recheck the oil level and may require another bottle for topping up.

Last edited by R2D2 : 31st January 2018 at 23:26.
Old 2nd February 2018, 09:07   #4842
Senior - BHPian

Just placed an order for Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 (4 litres) for ₹ 2442 (₹2692 - ₹250) on Amazon India after cashback :

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-screenshot_20180202084326_01.png

You'll get 10 percent cashback upto ₹ 250 on adding money to Amazon Pay Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
For those interested: Shell Helix Ultra 550041109 5W-40 API SN Fully Synthetic Car Engine Oil (4 L) available as a lightning deal on Amazon today for 2899 Rs.
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 09:27   #4843
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Just placed an order for Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 (4 litres) for ₹ 2442 (₹2692 - ₹250) on Amazon India after cashback
You can't get a better synthetic oil for this money. Trust me, 9 years of SHU and I've never regretted it. Changed over to Mobil 1 5W-30 only to check if there's any difference in mileage and performance.
Old 2nd February 2018, 13:50   #4844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Just placed an order for Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 (4 litres) for ₹ 2442 (₹2692 - ₹250) on Amazon India after cashback :

You'll get 10 percent cashback upto ₹ 250 on adding money to Amazon Pay Balance
I have a 2010 Tata Manza Petrol, was purchased soon after the launch. Its done 77K km to date and I have lost the service manual. Need to change the oil on the car, is 5W-40 the recommended grade for Manza Petrol ?

Can anyone plz let me know the grade of oil that is recommended. Looked up on a few websites - some say use 5W-20, but that seems to be a motorcycle engine oil.

EDIT: I recall Tata Motors recommending Pennzoil for the engine.

Last edited by GJ01 : 2nd February 2018 at 13:54. Reason: Adding more info
Old 2nd February 2018, 14:04   #4845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
I have a 2010 Tata Manza Petrol, was purchased soon after the launch. Its done 77K km to date and I have lost the service manual
You can download the owner's manual from the official website and print it.

Here's the link : http://service.tatamotors.com/content/owners-manual

Quote:
Can anyone please let me know the grade of oil that is recommended
From the owner's manual :

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-screenshot_20180202140048.png

I'm not an expert when it comes to oil. Please check with other BHPians or service centre before proceeding
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks