Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2018, 14:13   #4846
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

I have ordered "Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (3 L)" for my 60k run I10 1.2Kappa(2009)AT, earlier with mineral oil from service centre, changed at 52000km and 14months back. Should I change any washer etc as I am shifting to synthetic? Oil flush?

Any comments/opinion from experts?
Old 2nd February 2018, 14:47   #4847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post

I'm not an expert when it comes to oil. Please check with other BHPians or service centre before proceeding
Many Thanks for the lightning response Klub Class.

It is mentioned in the image shared by you that 5W40 synthetic oil can be used for the petrol engine for ambient temperature of -30 to 40C. Am getting Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 for Rs 2450 on Amazon today, so will go for it.

Thanks again
GJ01 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 10:57   #4848
BHPian

Any idea if Motul 4100 Power 5W30 is compatible with the K10 engine? As per the owners manual, the 2012 A-Star's recommended engine oil grade is 5W30, although some service centers are insisting on 0W20 (for the revised K10 engines). Thinking of buying the Motul and taking it for the next service of my A-Star.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-91fnqgqxunl._sl1500_.jpg  

Old 4th March 2018, 00:31   #4849
BHPian

Guys I have come across this thread before w.r.t my the queries that have been rising in me regarding automobile lubrication. The thread started in 2006 and is still ongoing. IMHO this shows that there is still a lot of confusion in the minds of BHPians regarding this critical issue and that this thread has not yet provided a broad based and convincing answers to its followers. That is the reason that the queries and reasoning/arguments continue apace.

Some years back I came across one of the most definitive articles on engine lubrication in specific which has put to rest nearly all of my doubts on this subject and having personally gone through 6 cars since I was 16 years old (not to mention countless cars owned by family, friend and acquaintances) and having tried all manner of oils and additives I found my peace through it.

I am pasting the article here now for the benefit of anyone who wishes to go through it comprehensively and I hope it will be of help.

Quote:
"By Dr. Ali E. Haas

Lets Talk Motor Oil – It is So Very Misunderstood

Chapter One - Motor Oil 101

I think it is time to go over passenger car automotive engine oils in detail. I will be writing several articles to be published soon so I will try to get some of it out here. I feel this is a very general topic for all car owners on this board.

This is a very difficult topic to comprehend. Everybody including good mechanics think they are experts in this field but few understand engine oils. Most of what I hear is the opposite of the truth. It is however easy to see how people get mixed up as there is always some truth to the misconception.

Please forgive me if I am too wordy or even verbose at times. I will be redundant for certain. This will be in areas that people have to hear things over and over again to get it right. Some will never be able to understand these concepts unfortunately. I base my thoughts on those whom I have been listening to in various automotive chat rooms and discussion with mechanics. I will try to minimize technical terms and be somewhat vague rather than exact. I will round and average numbers to make the point simple rather than mathematically exact. Thickness has the same meaning as viscosity. Viscosity is a measure of the resistance of a fluid (liquid or gas) to flow. Fluids with high viscosity, such as molasses, flow more slowly than those with low viscosity, such as water. Again, I am trying to explain general principals as I know them.

The greatest confusion is because of the way motor oils are labeled. It is an old system and is confusing to many people. I know the person is confused when they say that a 0W-30 oil is too thin for their engine because the old manual says to use 10W-30. This is wrong.

More confusion occurs because people think in terms of the oil thinning when it gets hot. They think this thinning with heat is the problem with motor oil. It would be more correct to think that oil thickens when it cools to room temperature and THIS is the problem. In fact this is the problem. It is said that 90 percent of engine wear occurs at startup. If we are interested in engine longevity then we should concentrate our attention at reducing engine wear at startup.
Source & Full Article

Last edited by GTO : 4th March 2018 at 19:05. Reason: Best to only include an excerpt of the article with a link to the original source
Air Cav is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2018, 08:17   #4850
BANNED

Please help me with this.

I have driven more than 50k km on my New Figo 1.5 D. I am planning to go for the best oil available for my car from now on. The specifications that are mentioned in the manual are

1. WSS-M2C913-D
2. 5w30
3. ACEA A5/B5

What is the best oil adhering to these specifications?

From what little I have come to know, Mobil Super X1 Formula FE 5w30 appears to meet the criteria. Has anyone used that? can any one give better info on the specifications in general?

Last edited by COMMUTER : 11th March 2018 at 08:22.
Old 11th March 2018, 13:17   #4851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Any idea if Motul 4100 Power 5W30 is compatible with the K10 engine? As per the owners manual, the 2012 A-Star's recommended engine oil grade is 5W30, although some service centers are insisting on 0W20 (for the revised K10 engines). Thinking of buying the Motul and taking it for the next service of my A-Star.
I used this oil for my Alto k10. It's miles ahead of the Castrol magnatec that the service center put and better than the gulf oil I put last time.
My alto is a 2012 make and came with 5W30 oil. Even though Maruti switched over to a thinner oil later(fuel efficiency benefits?) I prefer this oil due to the hot climate we have. Would recommend you to go ahead with this oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
Please help me with this.

I have driven more than 50k km on my New Figo 1.5 D. I am planning to go for the best oil available for my car from now on. The specifications that are mentioned in the manual are

1. WSS-M2C913-D
2. 5w30
3. ACEA A5/B5

What is the best oil adhering to these specifications?

From what little I have come to know, Mobil Super X1 Formula FE 5w30 appears to meet the criteria. Has anyone used that? can any one give better info on the specifications in general?
Mobile super x1 meets all the criteria required by Ford but then Ford uses Shell Helix in their service center which seems to not be ACEA A5/B5 compatible. My Maruti ciaz diesel also recommend the ACEA A5/B5 but Maruti used to use either Castrol magnatec or Mobil super mgdo, so I went ahead and used mobile delvac 1. Got the best performance from this oil Even though it's a truck grade oil

You can Use any oil that meets 5w30 specification and from a good brand (Shell,Mobil, motul).My friend who has a diesel EcoSport has been using Shell Helix ultra for the past 30k km and totally loved the difference over Ford standard Shell oil. Sourcing new batch of Mobil delvac 1 was difficult here hence he stuck with Shell.

If you can source Mobil super x1 formula Fe then nothing like it or else Mobil delvac 1 or Shell Helix ultra.

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 11th March 2018 at 13:21.
rambo1o1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 07:23   #4852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
I used this oil for my Alto k10. It's miles ahead of the Castrol magnatec that the service center put and better than the gulf oil I put last time.
Did the MASS agree to change the oil with the one you brought, or did you get the oil change done at a local garage?
Old 12th March 2018, 09:58   #4853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi550m View Post
Did the MASS agree to change the oil with the one you brought, or did you get the oil change done at a local garage?
MASS agreed to change the oil only if the oil i procured met the 5w30 or 5w40 specification. They dint bother or know exactly about the other detailed specifications.
for my ciaz,I switched over to my own oil at 20k km and they were fine with it even though it was under warranty. This particular MASS was quite lenient as they even replaced one of my ciaz headlights under warranty even though i was running 90/100 bulbs.
Same thing for my alto, as long as it meets the 5w30 or 0w20 specification, you can bring your own oil.

Try and find another MASS that will be more accommodating.

Cheers

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 12th March 2018 at 10:03.
rambo1o1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2018, 16:23   #4854
BHPian

My Micra is due for oil change and I am wondering if I should give it to a local garage or to the service center. The Service Adviser told me they use 10W-15 for Nissan Micra petrol variant. Anyone else heard the same spec? And what is the best option for me to opt it?
Old 12th March 2018, 19:16   #4855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyf1 View Post
My Micra is due for oil change and I am wondering if I should give it to a local garage or to the service center. The Service Adviser told me they use 10W-15 for Nissan Micra petrol variant. Anyone else heard the same spec? And what is the best option for me to opt it?
If your car is out of warranty, a local garage is fine. Changing oil is a simple job.
Please check the owners manual for correct oil specs. Buy it in local shops.
If budget permits, Go for fully synthetic oil if your car is a recent model.(say 5 or 6 years old)
Happy motoring.
Old 29th March 2018, 17:06   #4856
Senior - BHPian

For Cedia, I have been using Castrol Magnatec 10W40, which is API SN/CF

Now, since some Cedia users have been using Petronas, I am evaluating (and actually trying to figure out which of their products is actually a mineral oil.
It seems this is the closest equivalent to the Castrol oil from Petronas stable:
Syntium 800 SM, 10W40
I am not sure if this is SM or SN though, but maybe it would not make much difference to car from 2006 era?
Old 17th May 2018, 20:55   #4857
BHPian

Has anybody tried Repsol ?

Repsol has launched their range of oils in India. To quote Autocar from an article dated 5th Apr 2016 :
Quote:
GP Petroleums Ltd, a subsidiary of United Arab Emirates-based Gulf Petrochem group, today launched a range of Repsol lubricants in India. Last year, the company had announced its partnership with Repsol, Spain’s leading petroleum company, to exclusively manufacture and sell the latter’s comprehensive line of lubricants in the country.

The range of motor oils include Repsol Moto for two-wheelers, Repsol Elite for passenger cars, and Repsol Diesel for heavy-duty vehicles. The lubricants for two-wheelers and passenger cars will go on sale by end-April, and the entire range will be available by May 15, 2016. The company is, however, initially focusing on expanding its sales in the two-wheeler segment in India.
Here's another article on the same, and one about their future plans.

Has anybody tried their synthetic oils? Are they any good?

And, by the way, I came across this you tube video on Synthetic Vs Mineral Oil. This simplifies things a bit.

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2018, 10:31   #4858
BHPian

I have about 1.1/2 litres of Shell Helix Ultra unused lying in the can after using it last year. Is it okay to use it out of an opened can after a year?
Old 27th May 2018, 18:03   #4859
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
I have about 1.1/2 litres of Shell Helix Ultra unused lying in the can after using it last year. Is it okay to use it out of an opened can after a year?
Yes, provided it has been stored in a cool, dry place with the cap firmly screwed on.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2018, 20:29   #4860
BHPian

hi friends

Needed advice on which oil to use

I have a Hyundai Elantra Petrol AT purchased in 2017 which has done approx 10 K. The oil has been just changed and the dealership has used servo which I want to change.

The requirements are 5W-30 API SM/ACEA A5

Went to the one oil shop at opera house in mumbai. Found the following choices
Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40
Mobil 1 0W-40
Shell 5W-30 is available but on amazon

Most Viewed