Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2018, 13:56   #4906
BANNED

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
To my knowledge Honda was using 5w40 on their petrol iVTECs and then switched their recommended oil to a low viscosity 0w20.

What does your owners manual say? In any case it is the exact same engine so a 5w40 should work very well indeed.
Globally Honda were using 0W20 while in India they wanted a 0/5W40. Now they have switched. So need not worry.
Old 19th July 2018, 15:00   #4907
BHPian

@R2D2/Sankar,
Sir,so is this ok to use for MJD engine. If not could you recommend. How would you rate motul x-cess with SHU. My use would be in specific to sx4 ddis engine.
If SHU is not ok then i would cancel my order with amazon and look for something else.
Old 19th July 2018, 16:31   #4908
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
How would you rate motul x-cess with SHU. My use would be in specific to sx4 ddis engine.
If SHU is not ok then i would cancel my order with amazon and look for something else.
Both are good I prefer Xcess > Helix Ultra. In Diesel I've used Xcess in Swift VDI but have not used SHU in this engine. So I can't do direct comparison between both oils in the same engine, but what I can tell is XCess was really good in the MJD and I would buy it again. At the prices its sold online its a steal! I bought two 4 liter bottles before prime day at Rs26xx/ each, on prime day it was sold for for Rs.24xx/-. Its 2017 and not old stock.

I've put Helix Ultra in VW 1.5 TDI (since i couldn't source Motul then) and it was better than the fully synthetic Castrol Magnatec PRO (not Magnatec which is semi-syn).

In case you want to stick with 5K change interval, i suggest Rimula R4 or Delvac MX. The latter I have used for one fill and using for the second fill now. A point I have to make is the previous fill of Delvac MX saw a lot of on road testing and dyno time, i reckon if it saw only regular usage it would have probably stayed good for some more time.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 16:45   #4909
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Sir,so is this ok to use for MJD engine. If not could you recommend. How would you rate motul x-cess with SHU. My use would be in specific to sx4 ddis engine. If SHU is not ok then i would cancel my order with amazon and look for something else.
As I said before I strongly believe matching the oil to the engine. SHU, Mobil 1, Motul X-Cess et al are produced mainly for petrol cars but can be used in diesel engine that require oils with API CF rating, but not better.

In other words I'd use a higher API spec diesel specific oil for a modern diesel car. I had provided the link to the other diesel oil specific thread. Please browse through that thread for suggestions.

If you want my suggestion it will be Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40, this is a synthetic product. It's a heavy duty diesel engine oil and one of the best you can get. Check here: Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40

I'd cancel the SHU if I were you and buy this instead.

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th July 2018 at 16:47.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 16:56   #4910
BANNED

Clicking that link jogged my memory cells, I've used it. This is not worth the price its sold for. Get Xcess or helix Ultra! Or if you must get a Delvac get the MX.

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-delvac1.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
If you want my suggestion it will be Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40, this is a synthetic product. It's a heavy duty diesel engine oil and one of the best you can get. Check here: Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40

I'd cancel the SHU if I were you and buy this instead.
Old 19th July 2018, 17:44   #4911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Clicking that link jogged my memory cells, I've used it. This is not worth the price its sold for. Get Xcess or helix Ultra! Or if you must get a Delvac get the MX.
For a diesel Amsoil Diesel 5w40 is API-CK, so specifically a diesel oil, and just 2700 for 3.7 litres, so well worth the money. The OP may end up having to buy a 1 quart (946 ml) bottle extra given that most sedans have a 4 liter oil capacity, but still worth the money. Whatever remaining oil can be used for a topup.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 18:12   #4912
BANNED

Quote:
For a diesel Amsoil Diesel 5w40 is API-CK, so specifically a diesel oil, and just 2700 for 3.7 litres, so well worth the money. The OP may end up having to buy a 1 quart (946 ml) bottle extra given that most sedans have a 4 liter oil capacity, but still worth the money. Whatever remaining oil can be used for a topup.
All high end synthetics from mainstream manufacturers even if they are CF rated are good enough for most diesel cars following the 15000Km or 10000KM oil drain interval.

If the vehicle has DPF and SCR exhaust aftertreatment best to use the recommended grade oil, not because they are deemed inferior in lubrication but because of the compatibility with exhaust after treatment. All these non Diesel specific oils have enough additives and detergents to survive 10,000KM to 15000KM in the sump.

Castrol Magnatec Pro (fully synthetic) which is the standard oil used by VW dealerships in the TDI is only API SM (inferior to SN of Xcess and the rest) certified. Of course it has VW 502 and 505 certification which even Motul Xcess has.

So there is no need to go diesel specific oils for passenger cars or vans unlike heavy lower revving Diesels with much longer drain intervals. They are blended as such with high TBN and high SAP (Mobil Delvac 1) but not necessarily good in higher revving smaller diesel engines.

A good oil should have high VI, high TBN and SAP. Xcess is one such oil (172, 10.mg, 1.1%). Helix Ultra does not give out VI, TBN & SAP in their datasheet. Mobil Delvac 1 has even higher TBN 12 and SAP 1.35 but lower VI 151. Higher the TBN longer the oil can resist acid formation and usually more for long drain oils like Delvac 1, but insignificant in passenger cars because of shorter drain periods of 10000 to 15000KM. It is said that higher the viscosity index the better it is for lubrication.

I checked Amsoil Diesel 5w40 is API-CK datasheet and the numbers are good and should perform well! Let me know how it fares in your Scorpio.

Last edited by Sankar : 19th July 2018 at 18:27.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 19:29   #4913
BANNED

Quote:
For a diesel Amsoil Diesel 5w40 is API-CK, so specifically a diesel oil, and just 2700 for 3.7 litres, so well worth the money.
I have purchased the same for my Creta diesel (LINK) locally and it's been 1,700 kms since it is the oil change.

I paid ₹4,070 for 5.7L total quantity (Creta takes in 5.3L oil)
Old 19th July 2018, 19:41   #4914
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have seen very good to excellent feedback on this oil on Amazon (US) and BITOG. What's been your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I have purchased the same for my Creta diesel locally and it's been 1,700 kms since it is the oil change. I paid ₹4,070 for 5.7L total quantity (Creta takes in 5.3L oil)
How's the experience with Amsoil? May help me get convinced that either Amsoil Signature or Motul X-cess are for me. Of course I won't add Delvac 1 to my cars' NA petrol engines even though it says API SN on the label.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 21:18   #4915
BANNED

Quote:
I have seen very good to excellent feedback on this oil on Amazon (US) and BITOG. What's been your experience?
It didn't feel all that great for the money paid. Nothing exceptional, the oil probably would have worked better as a long drain oil and probably that is where the feedback comes from on BITOG after UOA. It is expected because of higher TBN and SAP, much more than any other oil discussed here in the last couple of pages. But compared to Xcess, Delvac 1 has lower viscosity index though they are both 5W40.

Long drain is irrelevant in my case as I need to stick to 10000KM schedule.

Xcess has great reviews on amazon usa, only shell Rotella trumps it. Delvac 1 does not even come close.
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-xcess.png
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2018, 22:30   #4916
Distinguished - BHPian

Sankar, the delvac mx is a mineral oil. I doubt you can run that beyond 3,000 kms. The delvac synth can go 10,000 ofcourse.

Motul xcess has a good deal going on in amazon right now, 4 litres at 2800 bucks. Hell cheaper than delvac 1. I have a spare litre of delvac... Still wondering if i should just get the xcess.

Amsoils metric motorcycle 10w40 synthetic has a VI of 161. Pretty darn good.

Last edited by Red Liner : 19th July 2018 at 22:57.
Old 19th July 2018, 23:08   #4917
Distinguished - BHPian

I am sorry, that VI for Amsoil should read 165.
Old 20th July 2018, 10:29   #4918
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Sankar, the delvac mx is a mineral oil. I doubt you can run that beyond 3,000 kms.
The oil should be good for at least 3000 miles/5000 kms.

Quote:
Xcess has great reviews on amazon usa, only shell Rotella trumps it. Delvac 1 does not even come close.
Yep, I am convinced about Motul given feedback on T-BHP and other fora. It's either Xcess 5W-40 or Amsoil Signature 5W-30 for my car this year, to be finalised just before it goes for the annual service in Nov/Dec at the Toyota ASC.
Old 20th July 2018, 16:04   #4919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The oil should be good for at least 3000 miles/5000 kms.

Yep, I am convinced about Motul given feedback on T-BHP and other fora. It's either Xcess 5W-40 or Amsoil Signature 5W-30 for my car this year, to be finalised just before it goes for the annual service in Nov/Dec at the Toyota ASC.
My Amsoil purchase is turning out to be a huge headache. Bought from Amazon and supposed to be delivered to me in Chennai day before yesterday and what do they do but suddenly reroute the package back from Chennai to Pune where it was originally shipped from? :(

Contacting Amazon customer support about the package just gets all sorts of assurances that it will be delivered ASAP, but no sign of the engine oil so far.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-amzn.png  

Last edited by hserus : 20th July 2018 at 16:07.
Old 20th July 2018, 16:37   #4920
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Have you (or anyone else) tried amsoil in India? Is it available only online or in stores as well? Also on amazon, I see they don't have 0W-20 in Signature.

Most Viewed