Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2018, 17:02   #4921
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
Have you (or anyone else) tried amsoil in India? Is it available only online or in stores as well? Also on amazon, I see they don't have 0W-20 in Signature.
This is the first time I am trying it. But from conversations with the seller (someone senior and knowledgeable about oils at Greaves Cotton Ltd is answering queries from the seller account), they are importing directly from the USA, and Amsoil produces all its stocks at only one factory there, to ensure quality.

It is currently only online on Amazon but they are locating stockists in the major cities.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 17:35   #4922
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Contacting Amazon customer support about the package just gets all sorts of assurances that it will be delivered ASAP, but no sign of the engine oil so far.
They shipped it to the wrong delivery centre as per the status update.

OR shipped the wrong product. The latter is more likely IMO. Because they've rerouted the package back to Pune where the seller Greaves Cotton is based. The seller screwed up. GC was working on establishing a dealer network 6 months ago according to a Sales bloke I spoke to. If they have I think they'll reduce their online presence and not undercut those new dealers.

Last edited by R2D2 : 20th July 2018 at 17:38.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2018, 17:50   #4923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

OR shipped the wrong product. The latter is more likely IMO. Because they've rerouted the package back to Pune where the seller Greaves Cotton is based. The seller screwed up. GC was working on establishing a dealer network 6 months ago according to a Sales bloke I spoke to. If they have I think they'll reduce their online presence and not undercut those new dealers.
Yeah they want local distributors. I recommended my usual oil place on General Patters Road (VMS Oil Distributors) to them, they said they'd approach him.

Also recommended that he check out flybhp.com which seems reasonable, the online storefront of a Bangalore based accessories store, stocks Liqui Moly and other high end stuff.
Old 23rd July 2018, 06:10   #4924
BHPian

Recently I got my car serviced from a trusted garage. I bought 4ltrs Mobil 1 0w40 for Rs.2800/- with date of import Jan 2018.What I was surprised from the fact was how much the MRP was mentioned on the label i.e. Rs.5400/-.

I wonder how much margin is actually there between the dealer price and retailer price??

Also, I believe this is the best synthetic oil that you can find in India, but even the inferior ones cost much more than this when you get your oil changed from authorised service centres. Why so?

P.s. I can guarantee that it's original oil and not a counterfeit.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-20180722_15102001.jpg  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-20180722_15103601.jpg  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-20180722_15103201.jpg  

Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 07:17   #4925
BHPian

That's a really nice price for Mobil1. I haven't seen such low prices for it anywhere online. Just goes to show that B&M shops are still quite competitive and many of us lose out because we have become accustomed to online shopping.

I have a 16 year old Palio run 1.45L kms when I decided to try and use synthetic oil. Till then it had only seen 15W40 mineral oil at regular 5k intervals. The car has lost some power recently (not a lot, only feels a little underpowered when fully loaded and on steep climbs) and drinks around 1/2 a litre of oil over 4-5k kms. But since there is no smoke, I don't want to get the head opened and get gaskets replaced as that might also result in having rings changed and cylinders bored etc.

I chose HP Neo-Synth 1 which is a 100% PAO oil and I was able to snag it on sale for 2500 for 4L from Amazon. I actually bought 2 cans. The experience has been remarkable. My car always sounds great after an oil change. It just becomes ever so silent after new oil is poured in. However it starts sounding gruff after 2k kms whenever mineral oil was used. I have driven 3.5k kms after putting in synthetic oil and the car still sounds nearly as quiet as it did when new oil was put in. I had used a flush and that hasn't led to any new leaks or excessive loss of oil apart from the half litre it loses over 4-5k kms. The good thing is that this time I don't have to change the oil, but just top it up as the engine still sounds as smooth and silent as on the day after oil change.
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2018, 18:04   #4926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Update - after Amazon re-placed the order on Saturday, the status again went crazy on Sunday - and it wasn't delivered on Sunday evening which was the promised time, or even on today afternoon.

So I cancelled, and reached out to the Greaves Cotton person on Amazon, through the "Ask A Question" link here - https://www.amazon.in/sp?_encoding=U...me&vasStoreID=

They replied promptly and offered to ship it to me from their nearest distributor in Coimbatore. I am waiting on the distributor details and bill amount, and I have cancelled the Amazon order after raising a complaint with their support team as well as through their social media team on Twitter.
Old 23rd July 2018, 18:52   #4927
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Update - after Amazon re-placed the order on Saturday, the status again went crazy on Sunday - and it wasn't delivered on Sunday evening which was the promised time, or even on today afternoon.
So I cancelled, and reached out to the Greaves Cotton person on Amazon, through the "Ask A Question" link here
Very strange indeed. Have they been able to explain why this mess happened that too twice? Or, are they doing this on purpose to reroute business from Amazon to their spanking new distribution/retailer network.

I'll wait for a couple of months for their Signature series 5W-30 petrol engine oil to be back in stock. Otherwise I'll go in for Motul X-cess 5W-40 or M1 5W-30 (not ESP). If all else fails there's always good ol' Shell Helix Ultra.

PS - Just sent CG a message enquiring about their stock status.

Last edited by R2D2 : 23rd July 2018 at 19:00. Reason: added PS
Old 23rd July 2018, 19:08   #4928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very strange indeed. Have they been able to explain why this mess happened that too twice? Or, are they doing this on purpose to reroute business from Amazon to their spanking new distribution/retailer network.
Greaves people were just as annoyed as I was, as far as I can tell. Now they're having to source from Coimbatore and have someone put it on a bus as cargo to Chennai.

Besides the apology I got from Amazon there was this comment from their team - so prima facie this looks like a repeated mess up in their local courier team rathr than a stock issue with Greaves' Amazon store. I actually had a very similar experience earlier this month ordering a pair of Hush Puppies sandals off Amazon.

Quote:
I've noted your comments and have forwarded your feedback to our transportation department so that they are aware of this issue, and so that it does not happen again. Every report they receive will be investigated and appropriate action will be taken. We're aware that our choice of delivery services reflects on our business as a whole.
Old 23rd July 2018, 20:08   #4929
BHPian

Motul X-cess 8100 is just 2615 on Amazon right now. The HP Neo Synth 1, which I am currently using and have 1 spare 4L can is 2491.
Am getting greedy and want to stock up but don't know whether my running will be as high as it is now after a few months. Mostly local running is not high and once my business starts long distance trips will be far and few but local running might increase.
Old 24th July 2018, 09:40   #4930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Greaves people were just as annoyed as I was, as far as I can tell. Now they're having to source from Coimbatore and have someone put it on a bus as cargo to Chennai.
Update - the rate I got was about Rs.150 cheaper than the rate that Amazon offered. This is fun. I sent the Coimbatore dealer whose bank details I got an IMPS transfer of the cash so it'd be instantly credited and they're going to put it into a tourist bus parcel service today, so I can pick it up at Chennai sometime tomorrow.

This is a rather more cumbersome process than having an Amazon guy turn up at my doorstep (or not turn up, as in this case), but it should work just fine and more importantly I'll get that oil finally.

After chatting with the Greaves Cotton people - Amsoil have physical dealers in Delhi, Pune, Gujarat, Cochin and Coimbatore, and are working on finding other physical dealers. If you have issues sourcing the oil from Amazon you should be able to reach out to your local dealer.

If you have leads on any reputed oil store in your city that you are a regular customer of, and who you find is open to stocking Amsoil, you can reach out to Greaves and let them know. Here, I'm passing on a request from Greaves, whose India head of operations Mr. Bhuvan Aneja is responding to email sent from the Amazon seller page I've linked to above.

Catalogue from the Greaves website attached with a product list as well as a table of which car models will work with which product.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Greaves-Amsoil-Catalogue.pdf (2.32 MB, 1759 views)

Last edited by hserus : 24th July 2018 at 09:42.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 10:59   #4931
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding to Suresh's post - Mr Aneja from Greaves Cotton is available on his mobile # 84591 Seven Three Four Nine Six (WhatsApp/Call/SMS) for any direct enquiries related to Amsoil products.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2018, 12:57   #4932
BHPian

Does anyone have any more info on this oil?
From what I can see its perfect for the Ford TDCi engine. It has got the right manufacturer approval of FORD WSS-M2C913-D(which is backwards compatible with B and C). Comes with ACEA A5B5 rating too.
https://www.flipkart.com/mitasu-5w-3...place=FLIPKART

It is expensive IMO, but this is the first oil I'm seeing which clearly has the ford approval(WSS-M2C913-D) outside of FASS. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I wouldn't mind trying it out if one of our in-house oil experts can confirm that this is a good choice.

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 24th July 2018 at 13:01.
Old 24th July 2018, 13:02   #4933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
Does anyone have any more info on this oil?
From what I can see its perfect for the Ford TDCi engine. It has got the right manufacturer approval of FORD WSS-M2C913-D(which is backwards compatible with B and C). Comes with ACEA A5B5 rating too.
My god you are a lifesaver!! I have bookmarked this Mitasu oil.

For my Fiesta, I currently use this Mobil 1 5w30 which also has these Ford spec approvals and is very cheap (1700 or so for 3.7 litres / 1 gallon, so that I have to buy 2 cans of oil and use the rest at my next fill, but still 3400 rather than 4k ++ for this Mitasu)

https://www.amazon.in/Mobil-FORMULA-...inhydr18418-21

Do note the Ford spec in question is VERY old, but then again the Ford 1.4 and 1.5 TDCI engines are 2000s vintage, sourced by Ford from Peugeot.

I have used the Mobil 1 oil for two fills so far, and they last to around 9k km without any perceptible loss in smoothness. The FASS provided oil would cause the engine to sound gruff by 7500 maximum.
Old 24th July 2018, 13:02   #4934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Recently I got my car serviced from a trusted garage. I bought 4ltrs Mobil 1 0w40 for Rs.2800/- with date of import Jan 2018.What I was surprised from the fact was how much the MRP was mentioned on the label i.e. Rs.5400/-.
I got the same from Amazon last month for Rs 3650 on a flash sale. Feel cheated
Old 24th July 2018, 13:22   #4935
BHPian

Quote:
My god you are a lifesaver!! I have bookmarked this Mitasu oil.
You are most welcome! happy to be of help.
Quote:
For my Fiesta, I currently use this Mobil 1 5w30 which also has these Ford spec approvals and is very cheap (1700 or so for 3.7 litres / 1 gallon, so that I have to buy 2 cans of oil and use the rest at my next fill, but still 3400 rather than 4k ++ for this Mitasu)
If I'm not wrong, hserus. Don't you own the petrol fiesta? If so isn't the oil spec for that 10w30 and, with manufacturer approval code WSS-M2C923-A1.
I could also be wrong.
Source: Figo's workshop manual which includes all the petrol engines shared with the Fiesta as well.(Screenshot attached below)
Thank you for this!!
Quote:
Do note the Ford spec in question is VERY old, but then again the Ford 1.4 and 1.5 TDCI engines are 2000s vintage, sourced by Ford from Peugeot.
My thoughts exactly! The 1.4 TDCi/HDi mill has been on duty since the early 2000s right?
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-oil-spec.png  

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 24th July 2018 at 13:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks