Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2018, 12:11   #4966
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Hi,

I wanted to know how good are these oils in comparison to Shell Helix 5W-40 or maybe Mobil 1 0W-40. It's written synthetic on the bottles but I doubt it considering that they cost half or one third the price of the former ones mentioned.

Has anyone tried them, can they replace the more expensive ones?
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-screenshot_20180727120447.png  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-screenshot_20180727120424.png  

Old 27th July 2018, 12:14   #4967
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Blast. MASS keeps getting stuck in my mind as Maruti not Mahindra.
Why not use it as MMASS?

You got the oil change done at FNG?
Old 27th July 2018, 12:22   #4968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Hi,

I wanted to know how good are these oils in comparison to Shell Helix 5W-40 or maybe Mobil 1 0W-40. It's written synthetic on the bottles but I doubt it considering that they cost half or one third the price of the former ones mentioned.

Mobil Super is a range of synthetic oils that conform to older standards and are made using cheaper processes eg: hydrocracking.

Mobil1 is much more premium - better base oils, a mix of additives etc.

See https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...90#Post2547846

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Why not use it as MMASS?

You got the oil change done at FNG?
Oil / oil filter / air and AC filters were changed at my regular FNG Speed Motors in Adyar. There isn’t much else in the 50k service.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 12:23   #4969
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
But after running it 2k kms, the engine started sounding rough. Not too much, but a little loud enough for me to notice.
Loss of power and rough engine note may be due to worn or dirty spark plugs or the culprit might be spark plug wires, do let us know when they were last replaced. Sometimes these little things cause the heavy damage. Plus you could put injector cleaner into the tank, I've seen that it helps clearing the roughness of high mileage cars.

Quote:
Mobil Super is a range of synthetic oils that conform to older standards and are made using cheaper processes eg: hydrocracking.
Sorry for not mentioning this before, but will these oils still be better than something like HX7 and Magnatec?

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th July 2018 at 13:37. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
Old 27th July 2018, 12:41   #4970
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Mobil MGDO and mobil super are identical. if you observe closely almost everything written on them is same,except for MGDO and the picture of swift on the bottle.
I have used mobil mgdo in my sx4, i would say its way better then what the service center fills, its peace of mind for me to use a sealed container and i am sure its proper grade. I also used to wonder how fully synthetic oil is so cheap, i got it from amazon from 1800.Its good for about 6000 kilometers.
i have now got myself motul x-cess 8100 which was about 2615/-.Paying a little extra to get a better grade oil to enhance my cars engine life is fine by me.I tend to stick to 6000 to 7000 kilometers oil change schedule.Prefer playing safe. Either ways with amazon giving us such good prices il rather change more frequently then run it for 10k kilometers which i think is absolutely no-no.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 12:49   #4971
BHPian

Quote:
Loss of power and rough engine note may be due to worn or dirty spark plugs or the culprit might be spark plug wires, do let us know when they were last replaced. Sometimes these little things cause the heavy damage. Plus you could put injector cleaner into the tank, I've seen that it helps clearing the roughness of high mileage cars.
Did both these things as well as changed all oils including brake oil and transmission oil during this service alongwith shifting to synthetic. The only thing I didn't flush and change was the coolant as the car has never had any heating issues. I also found out that the throttle body wasn't sealed properly as one of the nuts has lost it's thread. So got it cleaned and sealed it with Anabond this time around.
Old 27th July 2018, 13:00   #4972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
i have now got myself motul x-cess 8100 which was about 2615/-.Paying a little extra to get a better grade oil to enhance my cars engine life is fine by me.I tend to stick to 6000 to 7000 kilometers oil change schedule.Prefer playing safe. Either ways with amazon giving us such good prices il rather change more frequently then run it for 10k kilometers which i think is absolutely no-no.
On a different topic, the prices on amazon are not good enough. Do check your local retailer for the price. I bought Mobil 1 0W-40 for 2800 (MRP 5400/-) from the retailer while it is constantly priced at 3500 rupees on amazon.

Plus synthetic oils are good for well over 15,000km, something which the retailer also strongly emphasised. I have realised this myself as well, because after my recent car service, there was no perceptible difference in smoothness (previously also 0W40 was used). The engine was already running smooth at 10,500 kms after previous service, I just did the service as a precautionary measure. Money saved is money earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Did both these things as well as changed all oils including brake oil and transmission oil during this service alongwith shifting to synthetic.
Don't shift to synthetic, I have heard this from many mechanics that synthetic oil ruins old engines which have been running mineral oil. The synthetic oil seeps from the seals and make them weak in older cars. But, I feel your car will be needing some work done on it. :(

Last edited by Jaggu : 27th July 2018 at 13:36. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
Old 27th July 2018, 13:06   #4973
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry for not mentioning this before, but will these oils still be better than something like HX7 and Magnatec?
Those are Semi Synthetic oils which will last at most 7500 km. And while you can run full synthetics for longer drain intervals you had better not. Change at 10-11k.

Quote:
Don't shift to synthetic, I have heard this from many mechanics that synthetic oil ruins old motos which have been running mineral oil. The synthetic oil seeps from the seals and make them weak in older cars. But, I feel your car will be needing some work done on it. :(
Been discussed earlier. All the sludge gets cleaned out and the seals are exposed. But the oil only leaks if the sludge has already made your seals weak. And the seals themselves are fairly cheap to replace.

Last edited by hserus : 27th July 2018 at 13:07.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 16:09   #4974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I bought Mobil 1 0W-40 for 2800 (MRP 5400/-) from the retailer while it is constantly priced at 3500 rupees on amazon.

(
Brother.. care to reveal the info about the retailer? Would really appreciate.
Old 27th July 2018, 16:15   #4975
BHPian

No option out here in goa, shell helix ultra is sold at 3900. Motul was also somewhat similar or higher. Hence compared to that amazon prices are a relief.
Old 27th July 2018, 18:03   #4976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345 View Post
Brother.. care to reveal the info about the retailer? Would really appreciate.
Ask for Pammi uncle's shop, near Milan cinema, Karam Pura, Delhi 110015.

P.s. I was not able to find the exact coordinates on the map.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 20:36   #4977
BHPian

Quote:
Been discussed earlier. All the sludge gets cleaned out and the seals are exposed. But the oil only leaks if the sludge has already made your seals weak. And the seals themselves are fairly cheap to replace.
When is an engine considered sludged and too high mileaged to make the switch to synthetic oil not advisable?
My Figo has run 75xxx km so far.
Old 28th July 2018, 02:19   #4978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
When is an engine considered sludged and too high mileaged to make the switch to synthetic oil not advisable?
My Figo has run 75xxx km so far.
Your seals are either gone or they arent

The Ford OEM oil for the figo is semi synthetic anyway so not sure what you have been filling so far.
Old 28th July 2018, 08:16   #4979
Senior - BHPian

^^ I don't think it will be an issue if one is already using semi synthetic oil. I use Shell HX7 10W 40 which is rated API SN. I guess the synthetic oils too will have similar API rating. My car has done only 34k, but is 9 years old. I am not using synthetic only because of my low annual usage. I am confident nothing will happen to the engine if I make the switch today.

Just switch to synthetic after completely draining the old oil, without using a flushing oil. Nothing will happen.
Old 28th July 2018, 09:37   #4980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ask for Pammi uncle's shop, near Milan cinema, Karam Pura, Delhi 110015.

P.s. I was not able to find the exact coordinates on the map.
My god what directions these are. And is this an actual shop or what, considering he's selling at around 50% of MRP? That is not even wholesaler rate I suppose.

Is this Pammi Uncle well regarded in the local car parts market?

Most Viewed