Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2018, 19:24   #5041
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I know this oil is a bit of overkill for my old Gypsy but in some sense it is like making up for all the abuse the poor thing must have taken all through its life. Now, I shall nurse the engine and gearbox and other components back to good health using the best possible oils and other consumables as well as taking it to the best independent service garage that I can access....the advise given to me on this was from a well known rallyist and racer who is also an expert on Maruti, particularly the Gypsy.
Synthetic would certainly be an overkill for it. Use a good grade of mineral or a semi synthetic at most, and change every 5k km and you should be quite good.

You might consider a high mileage oil - I am not at all sure this is being sourced from India but Pennzoil Platinum is one of the gold standards in oil as far as BITOG members are concerned. A very good group 3.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01MF97JE5/...+mileage+5w-30
Old 3rd November 2018, 19:25   #5042
BHPian

Well guys,

HX8 did wonders to my waggy! I must say, my car went from a roaring lion to a purring cat!!

Whatever it is, it's great stuff! I'll be sticking to standard 10k km oil change interval with it.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-20181025_132927.jpg  

Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 19:34   #5043
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Synthetic would certainly be an overkill for it. Use a good grade of mineral or a semi synthetic at most, and change every 5k km and you should be quite good.

You might consider a high mileage oil - I am not at all sure this is being sourced from India but Pennzoil Platinum is one of the gold standards in oil as far as BITOG members are concerned. A very good group 3.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01MF97JE5/...+mileage+5w-30
Yes. But it is an elderly mistreated beast which I ve now adopted. I want to indulge it a bit. I’m sure it will reciprocate!
Old 3rd November 2018, 21:21   #5044
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. But it is an elderly mistreated beast which I ve now adopted. I want to indulge it a bit. I’m sure it will reciprocate!
I know it sounds counter intuitive but low viscosity synthetic oils with a ton of additives might not always be the right choice for an old fashioned and heavily abused MPFI engine. Sort of like how a starving skin and bones refugee can't immediately be fed a rich diwali feast.

The Gypsy asks for 20w40 or 20w50 oils. Try this as a reasonable compromise if you like - Shell Helix HX7 550031339 10W-40 API SN Synthetic Technology Car Engine Oil (3.5 L) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00QK6QMSW/..._ClC3Bb7VPW7EN
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 23:31   #5045
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I know it sounds counter intuitive but low viscosity synthetic oils with a ton of additives might not always be the right choice for an old fashioned and heavily abused MPFI engine. Sort of like how a starving skin and bones refugee can't immediately be fed a rich diwali feast.

The Gypsy asks for 20w40 or 20w50 oils. Try this as a reasonable compromise if you like - Shell Helix HX7 550031339 10W-40 API SN Synthetic Technology Car Engine Oil (3.5 L) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00QK6QMSW/..._ClC3Bb7VPW7EN
Yes! The change in oil type will change oil pressure inside the engine, even an oil analysis by a lab cannot tell you anything about this. Only manufacturers who have tested their engines will know.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 02:09   #5046
BANNED

Quote:

You’re right about that. I like that analogy and it did certainly cross my mind more than once. Having said this, the earlier Gypsy I had was a similar example of a 2002 MPFI engine (also quite abused). And I had used a high quality semi synth oil plus a couple of engine additives like Xado etc. In the 2 years I had that Gypsy there was a hugely noticeable positive difference.
We haven’t taken the plunge and replaced the oils yet.
Let me cross check again with the Garage and the owner to take a call.
Old 4th November 2018, 05:31   #5047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You’re right about that. I like that analogy and it did certainly cross my mind more than once. Having said this, the earlier Gypsy I had was a similar example of a 2002 MPFI engine (also quite abused).
The usual issue is old and brittle engine seals that were not leaking just yet because of a thick layer of sludge in the engine. Scrub that sludge away with a synthetic that has detergents and additives and the seal leaks show themselves by causing your engine to leak oil. That's besides any issues caused by oil pressure differences. Stick to a good 10w40 API SN for such old petrol mills.

You're even better off finding oils marked high mileage because they're optimized for engines with > 1.5 lakh km on the clock. That pennzoil platinum, or this Castrol. All seem to be imports though.

Castrol 06171 EDGE High Mileage Black ILSAC GF-5, API SN, ACEA A1/A5, ACEA B1/B5 10W40 Synthetic Motor Oil, 1 quart https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01CRYHQEE/..._4zJ3Bb7E58ZYW
Old 4th November 2018, 13:03   #5048
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Well guys,

HX8 did wonders to my waggy! I must say, my car went from a roaring lion to a purring cat!!

Whatever it is, it's great stuff! I'll be sticking to standard 10k km oil change interval with it.
isn't wagonR supposed to run on 0W20 ?

The picture you have posted appears to be a different grade, please check! The MGO from maruti should cost less than 1000INR .
Old 4th November 2018, 14:15   #5049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
isn't wagonR supposed to run on 0W20 ?

The picture you have posted appears to be a different grade, please check! The MGO from maruti should cost less than 1000INR .
Recent Wagon Rs use the K Next engine that specifies 0w20. Earlier K series engines were on 5w30 and the first generation F10D engines used 20W40.

See this thread. http://team-bhp.com/forum/technical-...ti-suzuki.html
Old 4th November 2018, 14:42   #5050
BANNED

Quote:
The usual issue is old and brittle engine seals that were not leaking just yet because of a thick layer of sludge in the engine. Scrub that sludge away with a synthetic that has detergents and additives and the seal leaks show themselves by causing your engine to leak oil. That's besides any issues caused by oil pressure differences. Stick to a good 10w40 API SN for such old petrol mills.

You're even better off finding oils marked high mileage because they're optimized for engines with > 1.5 lakh km on the clock. That pennzoil platinum, or this Castrol. All seem to be imports though.

Castrol 06171 EDGE High Mileage Black ILSAC GF-5, API SN, ACEA A1/A5, ACEA B1/B5 10W40 Synthetic Motor Oil, 1 quart https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01CRYHQEE/..._4zJ3Bb7E58ZYW
I’m going to do a complete engine oil flush in my Gypsy in a few days once the other work is done. Then we’ll see...in consultation with the garage, I ll decide whether the first round should be plain old mineral oil, run it for a bit and observe if abnormal consumption trends are there and/ or leakages. Then we ll see about the fully synthetic oil....
Old 4th November 2018, 14:49   #5051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I’m going to do a complete engine oil flush in my Gypsy in a few days once the other work is done. Then we’ll see...in consultation with the garage, I ll decide whether the first round should be plain old mineral oil, run it for a bit and observe if abnormal consumption trends are there and/ or leakages. Then we ll see about the fully synthetic oil....
If I were you I would avoid something as drastic as an engine flush. It'll expose any brittle seal type issues at once. https://blog.amsoil.com/is-an-engine-flush-good-or-bad/

Just make sure to drain all the old oil (leave the draining to take place for ten - fifteen minutes more), refill with a good semi synthetic like that HX7, monitor the oil levels after 6K and decide whether to top up and wait till 8K or refill then and there. Plenty of highway runs as well. Two or three fills of that and your Gypsy should feel much happier.
Old 4th November 2018, 15:06   #5052
BANNED

Quote:
If I were you I would avoid something as drastic as an engine flush. It'll expose any brittle seal type issues at once. https://blog.amsoil.com/is-an-engine-flush-good-or-bad/

Just make sure to drain all the old oil (leave the draining to take place for ten - fifteen minutes more), refill with a good semi synthetic like that HX7, monitor the oil levels after 6K and decide whether to top up and wait till 8K or refill then and there. Plenty of highway runs as well. Two or three fills of that and your Gypsy should feel much happier.
If only I had the time to invest in such calm experimentation through trial and error! I did 5K in my old Gypsy between 2016 and 2018....
That’s why my inclination is towards something drastic and precipitative and reactionary so that I can discover and treat the root causes in a more accelerated yet controlled manner.
Old 4th November 2018, 15:20   #5053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If only I had the time to invest in such calm experimentation through trial and error! I did 5K in my old Gypsy between 2016 and 2018....
That’s why my inclination is towards something drastic and precipitative and reactionary so that I can discover and treat the root causes in a more accelerated yet controlled manner.
What you are proposing will cost you a few thousand rupees in replacement of various seals and O rings, and in labour. If you don't mind spending it, go right ahead.

For such low levels of use, fill that HX7 and change it every six months, wait a year or so for the results.
Old 4th November 2018, 15:29   #5054
BANNED

Quote:
What you are proposing will cost you a few thousand rupees in replacement of various seals and O rings, and in labour. If you don't mind spending it, go right ahead.

For such low levels of use, fill that HX7 and change it every six months, wait a year or so for the results.
Tell you the truth. I love Gypsys. And this one in Dark green and khaki is a long standing dream. Hence this urge to restore. Even at a cost.
And I have bought quite a few of the requisite oils and flushes and metal gel revitalising treatments for the engine and gearbox etc already.
Yes, if I need to change those old oil seals and things, I shall definitely be better off having done so, and perhaps this will enable me to enjoy the old Gypsy more.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-62c45bb66a6941959e1fd8cf62fc28d0.jpeg  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-1b7249857cfb46edb29b3fd8a1a9c851.png  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-c72c0c76cf5648bb84a428d2f7dbe478.png  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-8c841b46d6b842fdad6d4b5998813730.png  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-0f2d0c93cbe1437dbeb0258e1fd0fb48.png  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-a4db89ff2ecc442bbeb29f4ddd54a7f9.png  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-432e5c90bf8c43b1bd61f0d8ab77f753.png  

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-dc3285e06fe54f2085f0e69996454b6f.png  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 4th November 2018 at 15:36.
Old 4th November 2018, 15:41   #5055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tell you the truth. I love Gypsys. And this one in Dark green and khaki is a long standing dream. Hence this urge to restore. Even at a cost.
And I have bought quite a few of the requisite oils and flushes and metal gel revitalising treatments for the engine and gearbox etc already.
Yes, if I need to change those old oil seals and things, I shall definitely be better off having done so, and perhaps this will enable me to enjoy the old Gypsy more.
You're just fine with the engine oil (as you already bought it) and the spirax gear oil (which Maruti also recommends as its oem). You'd have done well to have bought coolant and all other lubes required as well. I'd suggest that you pass on the various Liqui Moly treatments and additives though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks