Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2019, 09:19   #5191
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Like these - Mobil 1 ESP for example, or Amsoil Signature 5w30 you suggested or are their some more premium options?
Sir ji, I'd advise you to stick with only Toyota lubes for the duration of the car's warranty. And yes, you can use 5W-40 as the owners manual lube chart specifies a range of 5W (Winter weight AKA viscosity when cold or at ambient temperature) and 40 (operating temperature viscosity, you can use up to 15W-40 as mentioned on the page you shared). 15W-40 was once the default oil for all Toyota vehicles in the 2000s. They changed to 5W-30 circa 2011-12 IIRC

So please ask the SA to change to Toyota's 5W-40 synthetic once you have run in the vehicle. In fact, you may find the car running smoother on 5W-40 than 5W-30. I hasten to add please do not use 0W-40 in this car.

And as @Vikram Arya explains the black smoke has very little do with the grade of oil but more to do with the amount of (excess?) fuel in the injectors and/or cylinders at startup. Also please get the air filter checked/cleaned at the next service.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 10:22   #5192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
I can say with almost 100% certainty that this issue has nothing whatsoever to do with the engine oil being used at the shop.
Well, apart from that I cannot think of anything else. And just to clarify, I don't see any symptoms on the our brand new one but on all others including one of the Dealers demo done around 7000 Km. I am perhaps getting paranoid before Oil service will get due next month, so all these questions here.

Quote:
Some turbocharged engines also inject extra fuel into the engine when no boost is detected, and the turbo is just spooling up and that unburned non-atomized diesel comes out as black smoke.
That's interesting and probably explains the little smoke that I see on the brand new ones.

Quote:
TMC should be able to give you a satisfactory explanation in case this is nothing to worry about.
For TKM, there's nothing unusual. Shivjeet's thread that I referred has more details.

Quote:
It is surprising that Toyota which is world's 1st/2nd (depending on the particular quarter's numbers) largest automotive manufacturer is still soldiering on with an 11 years old engine
Yes, they did some small changes for Australian market in 2016 when they added DPF for that market. There is a small bump in the power and they use different injectors. But Toyota has continued with the older engine, which otherwise I will say is a gem and you will be barely notice the sound or vibration that you normally associate with Toyota Diesel engines. Rather, I find it strange that why don't they make something from the same family in small size? Or if they used to do, I am not aware.

Quote:
We should get ready to welcome the Hybrid LC in a few years.
Almost certain, that's the reason there is no changes for MY 19 and even for MY 20 except for Car play, nothing else is being discussed. The new one may use the drive train for LS with hybrid but no new Diesels surely. They will continue with existing 8 cylinder till the time regulations allow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
15w40 is perfectly acceptable for the hot temperatures we have in India, unless of course you're taking this vehicle to Ladakh in mid winter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
you can use 5W-40 as the owners manual lube chart specifies a range of 5W (Winter weight AKA viscosity when cold or at ambient temperature) and 40 (operating temperature viscosity, you can use up to 15W-40 as mentioned on the page you shared)
Thanks for the inputs. I have asked TKM about the grade they originally used when the vehicle was shipped from Japan. I will probably pick the Imported one - Motul Xcess 5w40 or 5W30.
Old 29th January 2019, 13:13   #5193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs. I have asked TKM about the grade they originally used when the vehicle was shipped from Japan. I will probably pick the Imported one - Motul Xcess 5w40 or 5W30.
Any good A5/B5 5w30 should work for you - or a 5w40 CK4 synthetic diesel engine oil since the manual suggests CF4 - for which CK4 is backward compatible. Mobil Delvac 1 or Amsoil in such a case.
Old 29th January 2019, 14:23   #5194
Distinguished - BHPian

Shell Helix HX8 5W-30 - Initial review

I own a Honda Jazz 1.2 petrol CVT car and stuck to the oil that the Honda SVCs used to recommend during the initial few years to save my warranty. Last year, I decided to take the car to a FNG for service and based on extensively reading and learning from this thread, I purchased the Shell Helix HX8 5W-30 from Amazon. Ive covered over 3,000 kms since the oil change. I can safely say that the already smooth 1.2 engine has become smoother and quieter than before. This definitely is a big step up from the company recommended oil. I am so happy with the Shell oil that I purchased another one for this year's service even though its a few months away. Thanks to all the TBHPians who regularly post on this thread and help novices like me.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 14:57   #5195
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shell Helix HX8 5W-30 - Initial review

As a data point Honda in India uses the same engine oil vendor (Idemitsu) that Toyota seems to, based on the label pictures posted earlier.

Low viscosity oils are great for fuel economy, which is a primary driver of our kitna deti hai market. They are also excellent for extremely cold temperatures - very few places with that sort of weather in tropical India.

Higher weight oils are not going to be a bad idea at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I own a Honda Jazz 1.2 petrol CVT car and stuck to the oil that the Honda SVCs used to recommend during the initial few years to save my warranty. Last year, I decided to take the car to a FNG for service and based on extensively reading and learning from this thread, I purchased the Shell Helix HX8 5W-30 from Amazon. Ive covered over 3,000 kms since the oil change. I can safely say that the already smooth 1.2 engine has become smoother and quieter than before. This definitely is a big step up from the company recommended oil. I am so happy with the Shell oil that I purchased another one for this year's service even though its a few months away. Thanks to all the TBHPians who regularly post on this thread and help novices like me.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2019, 19:36   #5196
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Any good A5/B5 5w30 should work for you - or a 5w40 CK4 synthetic diesel engine oil since the manual suggests CF4 - for which CK4 is backward compatible. Mobil Delvac 1 or Amsoil in such a case.
I own an SCross 1.6 (remapped). The recommended grade as per the manual is 0W30. The car is nearing 50K and wish to change to Full Synthetic. Which grade can I go for?- 5W30(Idemitsu)
https://www.amazon.in/IDEMITSU-SN-A5...ynthetic&psc=1 Or 5W40 Mobil Delvac1?
I am more Inclined towards the Delvac since it's a Diesel engine specific oil. Had used it in my previous car (Swift Diesel) and was completely satisfied.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 29th January 2019 at 19:38.
Old 29th January 2019, 20:45   #5197
Senior - BHPian

Maruti asks for a 5w30 ACEA A5/B5 for D13A and D16AA needs an ACEA C2 0w30

Mobil, Amsoil, Motul etc all have these available - check for the back of the bottle / can where the specifications are listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I own an SCross 1.6 (remapped). The recommended grade as per the manual is 0W30. The car is nearing 50K and wish to change to Full Synthetic. Which grade can I go for?- 5W30(Idemitsu)
https://www.amazon.in/IDEMITSU-SN-A5...ynthetic&psc=1 Or 5W40 Mobil Delvac1?
I am more Inclined towards the Delvac since it's a Diesel engine specific oil. Had used it in my previous car (Swift Diesel) and was completely satisfied.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 13:18   #5198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Motul 8100 X-cess is 5W-40.

I used Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 in my car when under warranty. I did stick my neck out. The service advisor complied with my request but mentioned 'customer supplied engine oil' on the job card. Of course had there been an issue with the engine that claim may have been denied due to the use of aftermarket oils.

I had also written to TKM about this and mentioned the manual does not mention using ONLY Toyota engine oil (unlike in an automatic transmission where using Toyota fluid is a must) and as long as the oil meets required grade and API specifications it should be accepted. They did not explicitly concur but in their normal copy/paste email reply mentioned it is recommended to use Toyota engine oils. Just FYI because your Service Advisor will be reading the same page/script when you speak to him.

Last edited by R2D2 : 30th January 2019 at 13:19.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 14:10   #5199
BANNED

Motul CRDi Specific Synthetic Oil - 5W40 grade.

ACEA A3/B4, API SN and CF rated oil.

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_20190127_1614311200x1600.jpg

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_20190127_1614121200x1600.jpg

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_20190127_1614181200x1600.jpg

Bought it from Amazon during sale.

Last edited by a4anurag : 30th January 2019 at 14:11.
a4anurag is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 16:38   #5200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

ACEA A3/B4, API SN and CF rated oil.
What is so diesel specific about this? Puzzled.

ACEA A3/B4 is for petrol and light duty diesel engines. SN is the current spec oil for petrol engines. CF is an old spec for diesel engines.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2019, 17:43   #5201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Hey Anurag,

How did the oil perform compared to Delvac?
Any noticeable differences?
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2019, 13:06   #5202
BHPian

Hello Guys,

I need to do the annual change of oil for my 3 year old Grand I 10 petrol MT. I currently run the car on Hyundai provided Synthetic oil. Since the annual running does not cross 3K (Max 3.5K) kms annually , i was planning on changing to Mineral oils. Any leads on which is the best one for the Grand I10.
Also where can I Procure the oil, oil filter and fuel filter and Brake oils ? I stay in the Mir-Bhayander area in Mumbai.
Old 31st January 2019, 15:28   #5203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne0N View Post
Hello Guys,

I need to do the annual change of oil for my 3 year old Grand I 10 petrol MT. I currently run the car on Hyundai provided Synthetic oil. Since the annual running does not cross 3K (Max 3.5K) kms annually , i was planning on changing to Mineral oils. Any leads on which is the best one for the Grand I10.
Also where can I Procure the oil, oil filter and fuel filter and Brake oils ? I stay in the Mir-Bhayander area in Mumbai.
If you wanna go mineral, then Shell HX7 is the best choice. Find the nearest auto parts shop on Google, ask for parts for standard service, tell them the model of your vehicle and you are good to go!

P.S. Shell Hx7 is universally available, you can find it on most auto parts stores.
Old 13th February 2019, 14:52   #5204
BHPian

I need to top up Engine Oil on my Brio but I am confused as to which grade should I use. In my last service the Service Centre used Synthetic Oil as per the bill records but it doesn't mention the grade. Can I top up with a Semi Synthetic grade and what grade would you recommend. Thank you in advance.
Old 13th February 2019, 15:34   #5205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cediaowner View Post
I need to top up Engine Oil on my Brio but I am confused as to which grade should I use. In my last service the Service Centre used Synthetic Oil as per the bill records but it doesn't mention the grade. Can I top up with a Semi Synthetic grade and what grade would you recommend. Thank you in advance.
Honda uses Idemitsu 0w20 or 0w40 for the Brio. When topping up always use whatever same brand and grade of oil that was originally filled - and if the car has run close to 10k km then just drain out and change the oil entirely.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks