Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2019, 02:15   #5266
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Unbelievably, the xcess from motul trumps the 5w30 from amsoil in all parameters.

Amsoil diesel 5W30 (XCESS numbers in brackets)
VI 162 (172)
TBN 10.1 (10)
SAP 0.91 (1.1).

I reckon will stay with xcess with a 10k interval.

How is this oil treating you Sankar so far?
It's not great a margin really! Whichever of these oils you choose, you're going to be having the finest. Unless you're into really intensive use & are lab testing these products only then you can make out the difference. Otherwise, nobody bothers.
Old 26th May 2019, 06:49   #5267
BHPian

Just completed 1k kms on my dzire. The first servicing has already been done. Planning to get the engine oil changed at 2nd free servicing which is due in a couple of months. Should i opt for fully synthetic oil? And is there anything else i should top up/ replace? The MASS at Kolkata doesn't seem to do anything apart from regular washing. This has been the experience with my previous vehicle (Alto800) as well.
Old 26th May 2019, 07:48   #5268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
It's not great a margin really! Whichever of these oils you choose, you're going to be having the finest. Unless you're into really intensive use & are lab testing these products only then you can make out the difference. Otherwise, nobody bothers.
True, but the motul only cost me 2300 bucks for 4 litres for a Dec 2018 oil made in France! Equivalent Amsoil is going to run me atleast a 1000 bucks more.
Old 26th May 2019, 08:50   #5269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True, but the motul only cost me 2300 bucks for 4 litres for a Dec 2018 oil made in France! Equivalent Amsoil is going to run me atleast a 1000 bucks more.
Apples and oranges - please compare the actual acea or api grades of the oil in question before you evaluate them on TBN / noack etc parameters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_RD View Post
Just completed 1k kms on my dzire. The first servicing has already been done. Planning to get the engine oil changed at 2nd free servicing which is due in a couple of months. Should i opt for fully synthetic oil? And is there anything else i should top up/ replace? The MASS at Kolkata doesn't seem to do anything apart from regular washing. This has been the experience with my previous vehicle (Alto800) as well.
Please change oil only at the scheduled intervals as mentioned in your car manual. If an oil change is indicated during this service go ahead. While your car is in warranty stick to the dealer specified oil. A dzire isn't terribly demanding on oil quality and the Maruti supplied synthetic oil will be just fine.

Last edited by hserus : 26th May 2019 at 08:53.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2019, 08:56   #5270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Apples and oranges - please compare the actual acea or api grades of the oil in question before you evaluate them on TBN / noack etc parameters.
This oils grade is good enough (fantastic actually) for the 2012 Ford figo 1.4 diesel engine. They are certainly not apples and oranges once you decide what car it is for. In that respect, the extra upgrade means nothing.

FYI, i use amsoil synth for my motorcycle. The motul equivalent sucks.
Old 26th May 2019, 08:59   #5271
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This oils grade is good enough (fantastic actually) for the 2012 Ford figo 1.4 diesel engine. They are certainly not apples and oranges once you decide what car it is for. In that respect, the extra upgrade means nothing.

FYI, i use amsoil synth for my motorcycle. The motul equivalent sucks.
What I mean is ensure that you compare one 5w30 acea a5/b5 with another. That is the grade plus certain Ford specific customization that your Figo needs.
Old 26th May 2019, 09:06   #5272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
What I mean is ensure that you compare one 5w30 acea a5/b5 with another. That is the grade plus certain Ford specific customization that your Figo needs.
I understand your technical point. For me, it was simply a choice between the motul which is perfect for the ford, and the amsoil which is a bit more expensive and is designed for newer diesel engines. Amongst all the oils in the market today, for a ford 1.4 diesel, i would only choose between these two. The earlier post was simply my comparison of my choice of oils for a car i drive.

The Ford 1.4 diesel was introduced in early 2000, i think and doesn't need the latest and greatest.

Last edited by Red Liner : 26th May 2019 at 09:07.
Old 26th May 2019, 09:21   #5273
BHPian

Quote:
That's fine. But no one out of a billion is going to do this comparo before buying one. That too for a grand.
Old 26th May 2019, 09:23   #5274
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
That's fine. But no one out of a billion is going to do this comparo before buying one. That too for a grand.
Haha. I just had to pull out the technical specs. Was just a download away. Had nothing else to do while on the throne that morning
Old 26th May 2019, 12:01   #5275
BHPian

Quote:
Haha. I just had to pull out the technical specs. Was just a download away. Had nothing else to do while on the throne that morning
Hahaha. I thought so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj_RD View Post
No harm in opting for 100% synthetic. Ask Maruti for warranty if you use an oil of your choice. Else buy the oil from them until warranty period. Second service isn't major & just get all the liquids checked. Refer your manual and report to Maruti if they don't seem to do anything. And if they aren't buckling up, find another service station.

Last edited by moralfibre : 29th May 2019 at 10:09. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 28th May 2019, 15:42   #5276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Any suggestions to get it in Bangalore?
So here is an update:
I contacted both Jatin from Delhi and Rajagopal from Chennai for Amsoil 5W-40. I have to say that both were patient enough and gave me proper responses and advise to my many queries. However the delivery timelines I was getting from them was more than a week ahead and I ordered from Amazon for faster delivery and I received in 2 days.

I ordered their Max Duty Signature series (5W-40) API CK4, and not the Heavy Duty (Turbo Truck) variant. I was told both Max Duty and Heavy Duty are options I can consider for my Scorpio. Last week end I got the new oil changed already in my Scorpio too. Will share the feedback after a few thousand kilometers usage.

I was also informed recently about Bangalore Distributor appointed by Amsoil - contact: 9880318844

And thanks to @hserus for the right advise in time I needed. thanks again buddy!

Regards,
narayanang76

Last edited by narayanang76 : 28th May 2019 at 15:44.
narayanang76 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2019, 22:46   #5277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
I ordered their Max Duty Signature series (5W-40) API CK4, and not the Heavy Duty (Turbo Truck) variant.
This should be good for Swift Diesel Hatchback also, right?
Old 28th May 2019, 22:49   #5278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
This should be good for Swift Diesel Hatchback also, right?
Not necessarily for such tiny diesel engines. Please find the best available oil in whatever the Maruti recommended spec is. If you show me the page in the manual that mentions this, I can suggest something.
Old 2nd June 2019, 17:20   #5279
BHPian

I've been thinking of changing my oil for my EcoSport 1.5 diesel. It currently uses the ford provided 5w30 A5/B5 oil with the 913C ford specification. I wanted to try the Shell helix hx8 5w30 A3/B4. From what I've read, A3/B4 has higher TBN and higher HTHS than A5/B5 (so that would mean better protection over the 10k kms oil change interval right?) And A5/B5 offers performance of A3/B4 with added fuel economy benefits. Would it be harmful for my engine to use the A3/B4? What would be the better oil in this case?
( I dont care about the added fuel economy benefits which would anyways be marginal)
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-screenshot_20190428001637324_com.android.chrome.png  

Last edited by Taha Mir : 2nd June 2019 at 17:24.
Old 2nd June 2019, 17:23   #5280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha Mir View Post
I've been thinking of changing my oil for my EcoSport 1.5 diesel. It currently uses the ford provided 5w30 A5/B5 oil with the 913C ford specification. I wanted to try the Shell helix hx8 5w30 A3/B4. From what I've read, A3/B4 has higher TBN and higher HTHS than A5/B5 (so that would mean better protection over the 10k kms oil change interval right?) And A5/B5 offers performance of A3/B4 with added fuel economy benefits. Would it be harmful for my engine to use the A3/B4? What would be the better oil in this case?
Please stick to another a5 b5 5w30 - you can try the Idemitsu one which is quite good if you don't want the Ford oils. Ford uses Castrol and Shell oils in the 913c spec - the shell one isn't available on the open market, only at Ford dealers.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks