Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2019, 17:27   #5281
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Please stick to another a5 b5 5w30 - you can try the Idemitsu one which is quite good if you don't want the Ford oils. Ford uses Castrol and Shell oils in the 913c spec - the shell one isn't available on the open market, only at Ford dealers.
Thank you for the quick reply. Just for my understanding, how beneficial (or not) would the higher TBN and higher HTHS be?
Old 2nd June 2019, 17:29   #5282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha Mir View Post
Thank you for the quick reply. Just for my understanding, how beneficial (or not) would the higher TBN and higher HTHS be?
Not appreciably much across one or two oil fills. Change the regular Ford oil a bit early if you are primarily using it on city drives.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 20:15   #5283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taha Mir View Post
Those are automobile engineering specs which laymen such us do not need to pay much attention to.

Seriously, just follow the recommended grade vs ambient temps chart and API/ACEA specs. Don't get into the details unless you really need to. What the heck, let em engineers at the auto companies do the hard work.

Last edited by R2D2 : 5th June 2019 at 20:19. Reason: typo
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 14:31   #5284
BHPian

any pointer for Amsoil Distributor in Mumbai ?
would the distributor able to provide better pricing along with delivery ?

for now, Im looking for Amsoil Diesel Turbo Truck 4x 5w40 CK4 @ Rs.680 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.in/AMSOIL-5W-40-S.../dp/B07B4T4V5N

The other one Signature 6x Max Duty CK4 is Rs.975 on Amazon, quite costly so inclined for above 4x.
https://www.amazon.in/AMSOIL-Signatu.../dp/B00BT35U20

Vehicle : Fortuner 3.0L

OT: Talking about Amsoil brand, many of my colleague bikers have used Amsoil Metric 10w40, and have been really happy, bike is Versys650. In my next change, I would try that.

Last edited by pcpranav : 6th June 2019 at 14:33.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 18:05   #5285
Senior - BHPian

The distributors who are out of town generally don't deliver .. in my case they ship it through a travels bus cargo and I'd pick it up after paying 150 rupees shipping charges.

Their nearest distributor seems to be in Pune

Task Distributors PVT Ltd
Priti Tawari, 2nd Floor Surana Complex, Rashtrabhushan Square, Shivaji Road, Ghorpade Peth, Swarget Pune 411042, India
E: Priti.tawari@gmail.com
T: 9011054085

Or mail Greaves directly and ask

Greaves Cotton Ltd
Bhuvan Aneja, Greaves cotton ltd, Diesel Engines Unit, Old Mumbai Pune Road, Chinchwad, Pune 411019, India
E: Cs1.amb@greavescotton.com
T: 02067308204

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
any pointer for Amsoil Distributor in Mumbai ?
would the distributor able to provide better pricing along with delivery ?

for now, Im looking for Amsoil Diesel Turbo Truck 4x 5w40 CK4 @ Rs.680 on Amazon
https://www.amazon.in/AMSOIL-5W-40-S.../dp/B07B4T4V5N

The other one Signature 6x Max Duty CK4 is Rs.975 on Amazon, quite costly so inclined for above 4x.
https://www.amazon.in/AMSOIL-Signatu.../dp/B00BT35U20

Vehicle : Fortuner 3.0L

OT: Talking about Amsoil brand, many of my colleague bikers have used Amsoil Metric 10w40, and have been really happy, bike is Versys650. In my next change, I would try that.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 20:13   #5286
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post

I am the first guy to put it in the versys in india when it launched. Then the word of mouth went from there as i am not active in the groups.

Never going back to any other brand for any other bike unless the specific grade is not available with amsoil.

Just go for it eyes closed and thank me later.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 12:05   #5287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Never going back to any other brand for any other bike unless the specific grade is not available with amsoil. Just go for it eyes closed and thank me later.
Amsoil has gained a lot of positive feedback from users, including me. Heck, I too swear by their Signature oil now. The feedback has also been passed on to Greaves via their rep Bhuvan.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 12:09   #5288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Amsoil has gained a lot of positive feedback from users, including me. Heck, I too swear by their Signature oil now. The feedback has also been passed on to Greaves via their rep Bhuvan.
They also have this which is a 20W50 good for twin motorcycles, REs etc https://www.amazon.in/Amsoil-20W-50-.../dp/B07GVMYQ87
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 17:20   #5289
Senior - BHPian

It is time for the annual service and oil change for my car. I see attractive offers on Amazon and Flipkart for Shell Helix Ultra (Rs 726 per litre). This price is almost half of what it costs at the Shell station and I would like to try it. How are they able to sell at such prices? Has anyone bought online and faced any issues? Can we trust the oil?
Old 13th June 2019, 17:56   #5290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
It is time for the annual service and oil change for my car. I see attractive offers on Amazon and Flipkart for Shell Helix Ultra (Rs 726 per litre). This price is almost half of what it costs at the Shell station and I would like to try it. How are they able to sell at such prices? Has anyone bought online and faced any issues? Can we trust the oil?
Try retail outlet, you'll find it even cheaper!
Here in Delhi, it's available for Rs. 2580. Recently got a friend's car serviced, used SHU. And the cherry on top is that it was just 3 months old packed.
Rshrey22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 18:45   #5291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you buy on GP Road you can get more or less similar rates to Amazon, and you can also get hold of oil / air / AC filters as well.

Try this place - VMS Oil Distributors opposite Jayaprada Theater on GP Road. Several Chennai BHPians use it, and the shop owner knows his stuff. 91766 97900.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 19:53   #5292
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks, I will try them. But I can't buy the filters. MSM allows me to take my own oil, but not filters. Even for that I have to obtain the permission of their Works Manager. They will endorse on the job card the oil was supplied by the customer.

The oil costs ~ Rs 1250 MRP/Litre at my usual Shell pump, and I can avail four litres of free petrol (V Power or normal) if I buy 3 litres of car engine oil. And two litres of petrol for buying one litre of Shell Ultra for bike (~ Rs 750 per litre).
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 19:55   #5293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ Thanks, I will try them. But I can't buy the filters. MSM allows me to take my own oil, but not filters. Even for that I have to obtain the permission of their Works Manager. They will endorse on the job card the oil was supplied by the customer.

The oil costs ~ Rs 1250 MRP at my usual Shell pump, and I can avail four litres of free petrol (V Power or normal) if I buy 3 litres of car engine oil. And two litres of petrol for buying one litre of Shell Ultra for bike (~ Rs 750 per litre).
If your car is out of warranty and is as ubiquitous as a Maruti where the parts are available over the counter, there's no reason for you to continue with MSM.

Anyway - buy the oil at VMS by all means. It isn't worth it at shell pumps even with these freebies.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2019, 20:04   #5294
Senior - BHPian

O.T.
I agree. The car has been out of warranty for a long time, but I have been happiest with them, I do just one service per year after all. I usually take the car there by prior appointment, can watch it being serviced, and take it back with me in a few hours.
Old 24th June 2019, 08:26   #5295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
I ordered their Max Duty Signature series (5W-40) API CK4, and not the Heavy Duty (Turbo Truck) variant. I was told both Max Duty and Heavy Duty are options I can consider for my Scorpio. Last week end I got the new oil changed already in my Scorpio too. Will share the feedback after a few thousand kilometers usage.

Regards,
narayanang76
After changing the Engine oil to Fully Synthetic Amsoil 5W-40 Max Duty in my Scorpio Sle, I have now completed 1000 KMs with it. Engine seems to be much more planted, a bit more silent and smooth.

Even though the max duty variant from Amsoil claims to have drain intervals in the range of 40K, my plan is to check it during every 10K service and decide to change it as need be. Let me see how it goes. My next service is major 1 Lakh KM service.

Thanks to this Team BHP thread and @hserus mainly, I got a good advise to get the right specifications and got it in time of the service.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks