Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2020, 20:39   #5521
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

The annual service date for my car is well past, so I have arranged for MSM to collect the car from me and service it this time, instead of my usual practice of taking the car there and carrying my oil. This time I have not bought the oil and told them to use their own. Their MGO is a semi synthetic 5W30 which I don't want. Their next alternative is Mobil1 0W40, which they will charge for the exact quantity filled. It is measured and delivered through an overhead pipeline at the service bay from a central point. I think they may charge about Rs 1000 per litre, but I have no choice now. My car will take 2.8 litres.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 20:41   #5522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The annual service date for my car is well past, so I have arranged for MSM to collect the car from me and service it this time, instead of my usual practice of taking the car there and carrying my oil..
Your engine is an old fashioned one that will do perfectly well on the MGO 5w30 and thinner oils like 0w40 aren’t ideal in Chennai weather.

Also your running during covid times is likely to be low so filling with the cheapest available oil that fits the required spec should be fine.
hserus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 21:18   #5523
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

Shell Helix HX8 5W-30 API SN Plus/SN, ACEA A3/B4 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil for Cars (3.5 L)

This works out to around 513 per litre instead of 850 a litre.
The chart that I had pasted from hyundai`s website above has the same spec ACEA A3/B4 SAE 5W 30 available at 330 INR per litre, works out cheap nevertheless. I`m not sure if a more expensive oil is available at Hyundai dealership, earlier there used to be IIRC.

The one given by Mahindra (Maximile FEO mystery oil made by Valvoline Cummins) also works out to be around the same per litre, however their M2ALL does not give a data sheet, I asked their customer care about it and now the oil is missing from the site or the google links are broken , mysterious oil it is for sure
Old 30th July 2020, 23:45   #5524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your engine is an old fashioned one that will do perfectly well on the MGO 5w30 and thinner oils like 0w40 aren’t ideal in Chennai weather.

Also your running during covid times is likely to be low so filling with the cheapest available oil that fits the required spec should be fine.
My car requires 20W 40 as per the manual. All these years I was using HX7 which is semi synthetic 10W 40 and only during last year service I bought Shell Helix synthetic from a GP Road shop you recommended, just to see how it was. I could not find that much of a difference, and was planning to go back to HX7 this year. But I don't want to go anywhere to buy it.

I will happily accept the MGO if it was 5W 40. Do you think it is safe to use 30 oil? Their MGO was 20W40 many years ago but during the past six years or so they have standardized it to 5W30. The SA says I can use it, but I am hesitant.
Old 31st July 2020, 08:19   #5525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
The one given by Mahindra (Maximile FEO mystery oil made by Valvoline Cummins) also works out to be around the same per litre, however their M2ALL does not give a data sheet, I asked their customer care about it and now the oil is missing from the site or the google links are broken , mysterious oil it is for sure
I found a XUV manual for the UK that offered me a clue and then a Boodmo listing. Feo is a 5w30 acea c3 oil, which makes sense as they also pour it for Mahindra’s petrol cars.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4772505 (All about diesel engine oils)

Quote:
I will happily accept the MGO if it was 5W 40. Do you think it is safe to use 30 oil? Their MGO was 20W40 many years ago but during the past six years or so they have standardized it to 5W30. The SA says I can use it, but I am hesitant.
Please don’t over think it. Don’t use the 0w oils but any of the 5w oils should work just fine for your use and for that engine.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 08:48   #5526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don’t use the 0w oils but any of the 5w oils should work just fine for your use and for that engine.
The oil in the sump currently is Helix synthetic 5W40. Does 0W40 make much difference? Will the oil not heat up prety quickly in Chennai climate and attain 40 viscosity? I thought I can go lower on the winter number but not on the higher one.
Old 31st July 2020, 08:59   #5527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The oil in the sump currently is Helix synthetic 5W40. Does 0W40 make much difference? Will the oil not heat up prety quickly in Chennai climate and attain 40 viscosity? I thought I can go lower on the winter number but not on the higher one.
It is going to be a lower viscosity oil so will deteriorate a bit faster in Chennai weather. You may find yourself having to change oil every 6 months instead of a year.
Old 31st July 2020, 11:13   #5528
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The '40' bit needs to be maintained, most likely that way to deal with the hot climate of our place. I would however stick with the closest available to stock specs, preferably MGO.

Quote:
I found a XUV manual for the UK that offered me a clue and then a Boodmo listing. Feo is a 5w30 acea c3 oil, which makes sense as they also pour it for Mahindra’s petrol cars.
Yes i`m aware of the UK specs, but our Indian vehicles use 15W40 API CH4 for Scorpio, Thar CRDe and XUV5OO at least, not sure of the other vehicles.

The API CH4 is preferred in India most likely due to the sulfur content in diesel, its an older standard but still current as per API.

While we know that its CH4, we do not have a data sheet to compare it with similar grade oils from other sources.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 11:43   #5529
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The '40' bit needs to be maintained, most likely that way to deal with the hot climate of our place. I would however stick with the closest available to stock specs, preferably MGO.
There is no closest spec to the recommended 20W40 now. The only MGO options are 5W30 and 0W20. That is what they use for all cars now irrespective of model year. If I want 40, the only option is Mobil 1.

That is why I buy and carry HX7 10W40 for every service. This time I did not want to go anywhere. No online deliveries allowed here except essentials. The main issue is the price MSM will charge, and the fact the oil will mostly sit in the sump because of the sparse usage now. But I am going with Mobil1, because once my son's institute reopens there will be frequent highway runs to Trichy and I would rather have a 40 weight oil for that. I am unlikely to let him use public transport anytime soon.
Old 31st July 2020, 13:27   #5530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes i`m aware of the UK specs, but our Indian vehicles use 15W40 API CH4 for Scorpio, Thar CRDe and XUV5OO at least, not sure of the other vehicles.
Sir, nobody will pour 15w40 CH4 in a petrol vehicle. Mahindra uses Feo for the petrol cars they have as well, so while the Mhawk engine will happily work on CH4 (or on even CK4 which is fully reverse compatible with CH CI CJ specs) but still Feo can't be a HDEO with an API C spec.

As I pointed out from Boodmo the Feo is a 5w30 oil which matches the UK manual I posted. The UK XUV comes with the exact same Mhawk engine and Feo is the recommended oil there as well.

Quote:
But I am going with Mobil1, because once my son's institute reopens there will be frequent highway runs to Trichy and I would rather have a 40 weight oil for that. I am unlikely to let him use public transport anytime soon.
Online deliveries of all commodities have been allowed from Aug 1 in Chennai and not just essentials. So you can buy whatever oil suits you best and have it home delivered.

Even now Dunzo is working and you can very well ask the dunzo chap to go to any nearby Mobil or Shell dealer near your house and pick up the oil of your choice. Or call a service like Carista (http://carista.in/) - the city head is a bhpian ard1955 and they'll come to your house and change your oil for you unless your street is in a containment zone.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 14:24   #5531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Online deliveries of all commodities have been allowed from Aug 1 in Chennai and not just essentials.
Car has already been taken away for service this morning and will be returned either this evening or tomorrow morning.

Quote:
Or call a service like Carista (http://carista.in/) - the city head is a bhpian ard1955 and they'll come to your house and change your oil for you unless your street is in a containment zone.
I didn't know about that. Will remember for future use.
Old 31st July 2020, 14:50   #5532
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is why I buy and carry HX7 10W40 for every service. This time I did not want to go anywhere. No online deliveries allowed here except essentials. The main issue is the price MSM will charge, and the fact the oil will mostly sit in the sump because of the sparse usage now. But I am going with Mobil1, because once my son's institute reopens there will be frequent highway runs to Trichy and I would rather have a 40 weight oil for that. I am unlikely to let him use public transport anytime soon.
That is good thinking - best to use the car instead. My office guys have started dispatching laptops to employees within as well as outside Chennai since last week or two, It was stopped temporarily due to lockdown in Chennai. I hope you are able to order the engine oil as well. Last resort ? drive into the shell fuel station and change it into HX7.

Quote:
Sir, nobody will pour 15w40 CH4 in a petrol vehicle. Mahindra uses Feo for the petrol cars they have as well, so while the Mhawk engine will happily work on CH4 (or on even CK4 which is fully reverse compatible with CH CI CJ specs) but still Feo can't be a HDEO with an API C spec.

As I pointed out from Boodmo the Feo is a 5w30 oil which matches the UK manual I posted. The UK XUV comes with the exact same Mhawk engine and Feo is the recommended oil there as well.
Yes, I was referring to diesel oils specifically hence I mentioned those vehicles. Mahindra vehicles - They all ask for 15W40 CH4 minimum spec for diesel and 15W40 SL for petrol. I dont think in India they would use '30' weight for any of their 'utility' oriented vehicles.
Old 31st July 2020, 16:39   #5533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I was referring to diesel oils specifically hence I mentioned those vehicles. Mahindra vehicles - They all ask for 15W40 CH4 minimum spec for diesel and 15W40 SL for petrol. I dont think in India they would use '30' weight for any of their 'utility' oriented vehicles.
Come on The Endeavour, Innova, Fortuner have even larger displacement diesel engines and all three of them use 5w30 oils. You don't really "need" HDEO (API C* diesel and ACEA E* extended drain specs) unless you're operating a heavy truck.
Old 31st July 2020, 17:55   #5534
BHPian

Hi, Is Wurth 5W30 Sm/Cf good for oil change in a old Honda city vtec . My FNG used this oil this time for regular sevice of my car. The oil was changed after more than one year as the car was notused much or can say about 1000 km before service. I did not feel any improvement in smoothness as we often feel after service.

Also what does these classifications like SM or SN , CF or CH mean even if the oil grade or viscosity is same say like 5w30.

Last edited by Sandeep500 : 31st July 2020 at 18:02.
Old 31st July 2020, 18:19   #5535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Hi, Is Wurth 5W30 Sm/Cf good for oil change in a old Honda city vtec . My FNG used this oil this time for regular sevice of my car. The oil was changed after more than one year as the car was notused much or can say about 1000 km before service. I did not feel any improvement in smoothness as we often feel after service.

Also what does these classifications like SM or SN , CF or CH mean even if the oil grade or viscosity is same say like 5w30.
S[whatever] is for petrol vehicles, S for Spark
C[whatever] is for diesel vehicles, C for compression

Anything with both S and C can be used for both petrol and diesel vehicles. SM and CF are both older specifications for engine oil, but then your old HC is also an older vehicle.

For your old City use a 5w40 A3/B4, Shell Helix Ultra should be fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks