Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2020, 13:36   #5566
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

I used the car for the first time today after it returned from service last week. My first impression is, the engine is noticeably smoother with Mobil 1 as compared to the previous Helix Ultra. I don't remember the Ultra being as smooth even during the initial drives.

I checked oil level before taking the car out. Noticed it was slightly below the upper mark. Poured in the ~ 100 ml of Helix Ultra left over from the previous service to bring it to max level and threw away the container.

However, from next service I am going back to Helix HX7.

Last edited by Gansan : 8th August 2020 at 13:39.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 13:45   #5567
BHPian

Noob question,
Do I need to flush the engine if I change the oil grade?
Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 13:48   #5568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Noob question,
Do I need to flush the engine if I change the oil grade?
Thanks
Noob reply, if you don't then the resulting combo of oil in the system will be called semi synthetic.

On a serious note, not required. The little remnants of the earlier oil won't make a difference.
Old 18th August 2020, 14:05   #5569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
Noob reply, if you don't then the resulting combo of oil in the system will be called semi synthetic.

On a serious note, not required. The little remnants of the earlier oil won't make a difference.
The reason I'm asking is because I'm getting my car serviced tomorrow and the last time I used 5W-30 fully synthetic oil and now I'll be using 10w40 fully synthetic.

Thanks for the answer.
Old 18th August 2020, 14:11   #5570
BHPian

Quote:
The reason I'm asking is because I'm getting my car serviced tomorrow and the last time I used 5W-30 fully synthetic oil and now I'll be using 10w40 fully synthetic.

Thanks for the answer.
Noob question, Why would you want to change oil grades at your wish than sticking to manufacturer's recommendations which come after lot of R&D? Modern day cars are quite sensitive to the oil grade unlike old gen cars where there were not many choices and any engine oil was ok. Talking about Amby and Jeep Commander days.
bharatbits is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 16:20   #5571
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The reason I'm asking is because I'm getting my car serviced tomorrow and the last time I used 5W-30 fully synthetic oil and now I'll be using 10w40 fully synthetic. Thanks for the answer.
Do NOT use a flush especially if you have a high mileage engine. Changing oil grades, brands or types does not require a flush. Good quality oil does all that a flush is supposed to do i.e. keep the innards of the engine clean. Change to the new grade only if the car manufacturer recommends it.
R2D2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 22:11   #5572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for the answer.
What is the point of using a heavier weight oil? And more to the point what spec was the older oil vs the new oil?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 09:21   #5573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
What is the point of using a heavier weight oil? And more to the point what spec was the older oil vs the new oil?
I haven't been able to source 5W-30 fully synthetic due to lack of stock. Shell Pitstop offers 10w40 for the Amaze. That's why.
Old 19th August 2020, 09:35   #5574
BANNED

Quote:
I haven't been able to source 5W-30 fully synthetic due to lack of stock.
Did you check on Amazon.in? 5W30 synthetic should be available easily as it is a fairly common grade for many cars being sold in India.
Old 19th August 2020, 10:15   #5575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I haven't been able to source 5W-30 fully synthetic due to lack of stock. Shell Pitstop offers 10w40 for the Amaze. That's why.
My 1st gen Amaze, now sold, ran perfectly well on 5w40 A3/B4 - Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 is an excellent oil for it. Honda has since moved to 0w40. Does your manual recommend 5w30 and if so what grade?
Old 19th August 2020, 13:04   #5576
BHPian

The above few posts have got me thinking..

The recommended oil for my fluidic Verna is 15w40. When I shifted to synthetic a couple of years back I used 5W40 ( Mobil Delvac), since no synthetic is available in 15W40.

For the new Verna the recommended grade is 5W30 which is available in synthetic.

Should I shift to 5W30 or stick to 5W40. I guess there is not much of a difference, but would rather chose the best one and stick to it.
Old 19th August 2020, 13:26   #5577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
The above few posts have got me thinking..

The recommended oil for my fluidic Verna is 15w40. When I shifted to synthetic a couple of years back I used 5W40 ( Mobil Delvac), since no synthetic is available in 15W40.

For the new Verna the recommended grade is 5W30 which is available in synthetic.

Should I shift to 5W30 or stick to 5W40. I guess there is not much of a difference, but would rather chose the best one and stick to it.
Its best to stick to manufacturer recommended oil specifications , in which case synthetic or not really does not matter as far as the oil meets the specifications and changed as per schedule.

The '40' in this case needs to be maintained else the oil will not meet the requirements of that engine , it may not matter for many during everyday driving but there is that one day everything lines up perfectly to accelerate engine wear or worse. A '30' weight engine oil is perhaps too thin for that engine when its running really hot in comparison to a '40' weight oil , please do not mess with it. Oil is cheap anyways.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 13:27   #5578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
My 1st gen Amaze, now sold, ran perfectly well on 5w40 A3/B4 - Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 is an excellent oil for it. Honda has since moved to 0w40. Does your manual recommend 5w30 and if so what grade?
I needed the car as I have to travel for some business. I've used 5W-30 in the past two services. However due to time constraints, lack of stock as well as 2 week delivery times on Amazon. I decided to take the plunge and use 10w40 which is also recommended on the internet.
I have misplaced my owners manual hence I'm not sure as to what it recommends.
Old 19th August 2020, 14:08   #5579
BHPian

Quote:
I needed the car as I have to travel for some business. I've used 5W-30 in the past two services. However due to time constraints, lack of stock as well as 2 week delivery times on Amazon. I decided to take the plunge and use 10w40 which is also recommended on the internet.
I have misplaced my owners manual hence I'm not sure as to what it recommends.
1. Time constraint? when you have time to service the car.
2. Lack of stock ?
3. 2 week delivery time on Amazon? Incorrect. Please recheck
4. Internet recommendation? Go by Honda's
5. Owners manual lost? 1 call to ASS will tell you or any ownership thread on TBhp.

None of the above appear strong enough reasons to put in different oil grade.

You decide.

If you already bought 10W40 try exchanging it at any auto spares shop for the right grade and pay the difference and a 100 Rs more. They usually oblige. IMO not worth driving 10000 kms on a wrong engine oil grade.

Last edited by bharatbits : 19th August 2020 at 14:21.
bharatbits is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2020, 16:15   #5580
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
1. Time constraint? when you have time to service the car.
2. Lack of stock ?
3. 2 week delivery time on Amazon? Incorrect. Please recheck
4. Internet recommendation? Go by Honda's
5. Owners manual lost? 1 call to ASS will tell you or any ownership thread on TBhp.

None of the above appear strong enough reasons to put in different oil grade.

You decide.

If you already bought 10W40 try exchanging it at any auto spares shop for the right grade and pay the difference and a 100 Rs more. They usually oblige. IMO not worth driving 10000 kms on a wrong engine oil grade.
Please relax. You're talking like I've done something atrocious. It's an extremely trivial matter. And why this accusing tone about my time constraints. Who are you to accuse me! You don't live in my city, you don't know about the situation here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks