Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:09   #406
BHPian

Hi there,
I have got the rate of Mobil 1 in Mumbai. Its Rs.670 per litre.
Is the rate fair enough?
Regards.
Dr.Abhay Shah.
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:21   #407
Team-BHP Support

City motors as Opera House sells it for Rs.650/liter. But that extra 20/liter may be ok if you live on the other side of town.
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:24   #408
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
City motors as Opera House sells it for Rs.650/liter. But that extra 20/liter may be ok if you live on the other side of town.
can you tell me where exactly city motors is?
Old 3rd July 2007, 12:30   #409
Team-BHP Support

City Motors
9, Mangesh Building,
A. G. Street.
Opera House

Its the lane perpendicular to the main road. Can't miss it really as it is lined with auto shops. It can be identified by its dark tinted doors. They also sell Shell, Castrol, Motul and Valvoline if you prefer a choice.
Old 3rd July 2007, 13:26   #410
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
City Motors
9, Mangesh Building,
A. G. Street.
Opera House

Its the lane perpendicular to the main road. Can't miss it really as it is lined with auto shops. It can be identified by its dark tinted doors. They also sell Shell, Castrol, Motul and Valvoline if you prefer a choice.
thnx alot rtech and the rest of you guys.
Old 3rd July 2007, 13:43   #411
Team-BHP Support

From whatever I have read(which may be wrong) it is said that an "excellent diesel oil" will be too good for a petrol engine and will actually destroy it.
Therefore API-SL or API-SM oils are API-CF4 at best, and API-CH,CI,CJ oils are "diesel only".
Infact just a month ago an API-CJ oil came in synthetic formulation before that only mineral was available.
Therefore I have my doubts.
How an a "synthetic oil" which says API-CF4 be better than a synthetic oil from the same company, or an equally good company which says "API-CI4".
I really doubt anybody here would be disagreeing that API-CI4 is far superior to API-CF4(newer more stringent standard).
Infact apart from companies following VW standard, most common rail engine manuals say. API-CH4 minimum.
If you talk about cars with Emission control to meet 2007 US emission standards, you will destroy your exhaust system as well as void your warranty if you do not put in oil which meets API-CJ standards. API-CJ oil is extremely rare and has only recently been made available in the US to be used in ULSD compliant engines which meet 2007 norms
Here is the Chevron Bulletin
Diesel Fuels Question and Answers - New s15 ULSD Regulations
Castrol has also released an oil to meet these standards
Castrol USA - Castrol Hypuron

Infact you can see such oils being released by all major guys.
This begets the question.
If API-CF4 is as good as API-CH or API-CG or API-CI etc., etc., why do we need these newer standards, and why are oil companies trying to meet these standards, and why is it that engine makers are demanding these standards?
I do not buy the fact that mobil 1 API-CF4(if its API-CF4) or Shell helix ultra API-SL/CF4 is as good as other synthetic oils which meet API-CI4 specification
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:04   #412
Senior - BHPian

Any suggestions for the Baleno would be really helpful. My car is almost at the 20k mark and I intend on changing to Mobil 1 synthetic oil. Please note my car has a FFE also.

Any specific grades that I should look for ?
Thanks in advance folks.
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:21   #413
Team-BHP Support

rj, you have a petrol baleno. So you have it easy.
Options you can go for(all of these are easily available)
1. Mobil 1
2. Shell helix Ultra
3. Castrol EDGE
4. Castrol EDGE sport
You can either go to central blr near Shopper stop(Near brigade road) where all these guys like Pit Stop. Car shinghar are there, and then there is JC road too.
There are a few shops in New Thippasandra too, but thats like a small market.
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:22   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I do not buy the fact that mobil 1 API-CF4(if its API-CF4) or Shell helix ultra API-SL/CF4 is as good as other synthetic oils which meet API-CI4 specification
Absolutely agree with you tsk. In fact, the only reason I still use Mobil 1 5w-50 API-CF4 or Shell Helix Ultra API-CF4 is because I am really not able to buy any other Synthetic oil which adhere to contemporary standards, for Diesels.

Hope the situation changes for the better soon. And I keep pinging the Mobil dealer here (through a friend), hopefully, sometime in the near future he would stop insisting that API CF4 is the best thing that happened to diesels.

And by availability I mean, general availability through trusted dealers, service centers, gas stations etc. In my quest to source good diesel synthetic in Bangalore, have come across many a can with plain questionable antecedents. From what I read here, Mumbai guys seems to have a much better choice. Maybe somebody would volunteer to send some of the good stuff over here?

Last but not least, why do I want better when my Elantra manual only asks for CF4? Sometime back, Keshav moved the petes box to stage 2. Since that probably means a wee bit more unburnt stuff in the Engine, my oil goes bad even sooner. Shell Helix Ultra barely lasts 5000Kms. Mobil 1 lasts till around 7000Kms, but that is a plain wrong grade for my car. More/Better detergents, though a better contemporary Diesel oil, Mobil Delvac 1 API CI4 is what the doctor orders...
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:43   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
City Motors
9, Mangesh Building,
A. G. Street.
Opera House

I was guided here by Rtech. I got all the oils and liquids needed from here. They have literally everything from all brands. Flushes, radiator fluids, oils, filters, everything! Most impressive.
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:45   #416
Senior - BHPian

Thanks tsk, Mahesh(theMAG) has suggested some place on JC Road.
Will be picking it up this weekend itself.
Old 3rd July 2007, 14:48   #417
Team-BHP Support

tadu, if you cannot get a higher grade synthetic you can look at semi synthetics or mineral oils which meet API CI4. A common oil is the castrol GTX diesel.
Also high performance means high heat. I suggest you use a 15W50 instead of 15W40 oil whenever possible.
You can also add STP engine oil additive as it prevents the oil from thinning too much when engine is hot.
In bangalore temperature does not go below 5 degrees ever, so the lower number of 15W is enough, no need to get 5W or 0W.
Also make sure that when you start on a cold morning, idle for 30 seconds before starting out.
As for synthetics, try looking hard Delvac my be available.
Whatever you do make sure your engine never overheats. Get radiator flushed every 25K or 20K kms if you are running in track more. Synthetic oil resist overheating much better than mineral oils irrespective of grade, thats one very big + point for the synthetics.
As for diesel synthetics, diesel has mostly been taxi market, and how many taxi drivers ask for synthetic? OTOH, the petrol market has lots of demand for potent mixes, thats the reason Petrol synthetic oils are so common.
Old 3rd July 2007, 15:57   #418
BHPian

Quote:
tadu, if you cannot get a higher grade synthetic you can look at semi synthetics or mineral oils which meet API CI4. A common oil is the castrol GTX diesel.
Also high performance means high heat. I suggest you use a 15W50 instead of 15W40 oil whenever possible.
Yet again after a frustrating search for Mobil1 Delvac bought Shell Helix Ultra. And that is 15w-50 CF4. Next change I try Castrol GTX, with additives. Also saw the "price list" from the Mobil dealer. Somebody was trying to convince me that Mobil Delvac 1 aint sold officially in India. And it was not listed. Only availability in Synthetics was the Mobil 1 CF4 range, in different grades.
Quote:
You can also add STP engine oil additive as it prevents the oil from thinning too much when engine is hot.
That is one confusion I have. Are those additives meant to be used with these fully synthetic oils?
Quote:
As for diesel synthetics, diesel has mostly been taxi market, and how many taxi drivers ask for synthetic? OTOH, the petrol market has lots of demand for potent mixes, thats the reason Petrol synthetic oils are so common.
There are a lot of Mercs, BMWs and other expensive imports which use Diesel. If they are being serviced outside their company showrooms, a lot of them use Mobil 1 5w-50 CF4. I try what I can to spread awareness, but until people realize that one size does not fit all, the market will remain the same.
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:00   #419
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I was guided here by Rtech. I got all the oils and liquids needed from here. They have literally everything from all brands. Flushes, radiator fluids, oils, filters, everything! Most impressive.
how much does a good flush cost?? and will they change the oil over there or do they only sell?

also does anybody know how many litres for a getz?
Old 3rd July 2007, 16:01   #420
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Thanks tsk, Mahesh(theMAG) has suggested some place on JC Road.
Will be picking it up this weekend itself.

ah yes that place. Rudraji had told us to get it from there. For directions do ask Condor.

Most Viewed