Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2020, 14:16   #5596
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
That is fine, stick to Maximile Feo or any good 15w40 mineral like Shell Rimula R4 and change every year. Try to take the car out on a highway ride or late night ride of some sort on a regular basis, no need to get out of the car or anything but drive around and keep the engine healthy and yourself entertained.
I actually went to a Shell pump near my home yesterday. They have oil change facility. Mechanic told me that he will procure the oil filter from a nearby store.

So should I get Rimula R4 or a Shell Synthetic oil? Also how much oil quantity will be needed? Is it 4 litres? Any recommendation on the filter brand that should be bought along?

Last edited by JKBKS : 13th September 2020 at 14:18.
Old 13th September 2020, 16:07   #5597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalanrishikesh View Post
I have a Toyota Innova V 2010 diesel model. It has completed 2,40,000 KM's and 10.5 Yrs.I am confused which oil should be used as some say 20w-50 will be too viscous. But some say for older vehicles its best. Even castrol website says for vehicles with more than 75,000 miles, 20w-50 is recommended.
Default fill in all Toyotas is now 5W-30 mineral and synthetic, 15W-40 has been phased out.

If you need to stick to a slightly thicker oil go with 15W-40 mineral or even 5W-40 synthetic. 20W-50 is going the way of straight mineral i.e. redundant for all but the most exceptional or specific use cases. How to decide? If your engine is working smoothly just go with xW-40, OTOH if your engine is burning oil i.e. higher oil connsumption and high clattering noise (yeah i know its difficult to say with a diesel) it may be time for you to user a thicker oil. You can also have a compression test done at a FNG or even the TKM centre to ascertain the health of the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBKS View Post
I chanced to see this thread when researching on mineral vs synthetic oil advantages for my upcoming oil change. I have a 2009 Scorpio which I intend to keep for another 4 years. I have done 1,15,000 kms. But my current daily usage these days is barely 5 kms a day. So I need to ask you if I should go for a mineral or synthetic oil? And what should be frequency of oil change when the car hardly does around 1500 kms a year?
Stick to mineral especially because you hardly use your car. OTOH if you're an enthusiast you could try a synthetic but it is >3x more expensive. I'd prefer the mineral given your use case.

Last edited by R2D2 : 13th September 2020 at 16:09.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 16:10   #5598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I actually went to a Shell pump near my home yesterday. They have oil change facility. Mechanic told me that he will procure the oil filter from a nearby store.

So should I get Rimula R4 or a Shell Synthetic oil? Also how much oil quantity will be needed? Is it 4 litres? Any recommendation on the filter brand that should be bought along?
Rimula R4 has the rating ci4+ (ch4 or higher) your Scorpio needs. Shell Helix Ultra for example or other synthetic Shells are just rated API CF / ACEA B4 not adequate for the Scorpio.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 02:08   #5599
BHPian

Quote:
There are many, many 5w30 A5/B5 in the market to suit your purse. Idemitsu is a very nice oil indeed, and Castrol Magnatec as well, for the price point. Others in a similar price range - Valvoline All Climate Advanced, Mobil Super 3000 X1.

Amsoil is super premium, and expensive - but streets ahead of the other two oils.

If you're on a budget take the Idemitsu one. I've tried it and its not bad at all.
About time I get my oil changed again. Had poured the Castrol Magnatec last year. Since that was my first time switching to FS from Mineral, I did see some improvements. However, I'm willing to switch to either Idemitsu or the Mobil 3000 X1 FE oil. Both are 5w-30 ACEA A5/B5 and priced at ₹1500 for 3.5L. Is one better than the other?

For some reason, MASS only has Mobil 0w40 as the FS despite the manual recommending 5w30 for the 1.3 Scross.

Also, I'm planning to use LiquiMoly Engine Flush this time. The engine has never been flushed before. Any thoughts on that? Thanks in advance. 😁
Old 14th September 2020, 02:22   #5600
Senior - BHPian

They are all mid priced and reasonable quality engine oils. Not much difference between them. Buy whatever is available.

Your engine isn’t a toilet no need to flush it unless it is clogged with soot or sludge deposits from oil not being changed regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunejarahul View Post
However, I'm willing to switch to either Idemitsu or the Mobil 3000 X1 FE oil. Both are 5w-30 ACEA A5/B5 and priced at ₹1500 for 3.5L. Is one better than the other?

Also, I'm planning to use LiquiMoly Engine Flush this time. The engine has never been flushed before. Any thoughts on that? Thanks in advance. 😁
Old 14th September 2020, 12:42   #5601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Default fill in all Toyotas is now 5W-30 mineral and synthetic, 15W-40 has been phased out.

If you need to stick to a slightly thicker oil go with 15W-40 mineral or even 5W-40 synthetic. 20W-50 is going the way of straight mineral i.e. redundant for all but the most exceptional or specific use cases. How to decide? If your engine is working smoothly just go with xW-40, OTOH if your engine is burning oil i.e. higher oil connsumption and high clattering noise (yeah i know its difficult to say with a diesel) it may be time for you to user a thicker oil. You can also have a compression test done at a FNG or even the TKM centre to ascertain the health of the engine..
Thanks for the reply guys.

@R2D2 Thanks. This time then I will go for 15W40 a thicker oil and try. As per I have read on some articles as well that such older and highly travelled vehicles have more wear and will benefit from thicker oil. Thinking of going with Total quartz this time.
Old 14th September 2020, 13:07   #5602
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalanrishikesh View Post
This time then I will go for 15W40 a thicker oil and try. As per I have read on some articles as well that such older and highly travelled vehicles have more wear and will benefit from thicker oil. Thinking of going with Total quartz this time.
You have plenty of choices with 15W-40 or 5W-40 synthetic just make sure you get an oil that meets or exceeds the diesel specific CF or better still CF-4. Most modern multigrade engine oils will support at least API CF which is fine for your car.

PS - There's a typo in my first reply to your message. Please read "Default fill in all Toyotas is now 5W-30 mineral and 5W-40 synthetic.

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th September 2020 at 13:09.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 16:57   #5603
BHPian

Quote:
Rimula R4 has the rating ci4+ (ch4 or higher) your Scorpio needs. Shell Helix Ultra for example or other synthetic Shells are just rated API CF / ACEA B4 not adequate for the Scorpio.
So I went to the Shell pump and they had Rimula R3X (API CH4) instead of R4. I heard R4 replaced R3. So now should I get HX5 (API CH4) or R3X?

Thanks in advance for clearing all the doubts...

Last edited by JKBKS : 16th September 2020 at 17:00.
Old 16th September 2020, 17:53   #5604
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I went to the Shell pump and they had Rimula R3X (API CH4) instead of R4. I heard R4 replaced R3. So now should I get HX5 (API CH4) or R3X?

So here a snapshot from the lubematch.

Link

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-lubematch.jpg

Please make sure that the oil filter is original and not whatever the mechanic picks up from the nearby store. Alternatively you can get it changed in the Mahindra service center, its cheap just to change the oil. Also the original consumables are available in JC Road, they have an M2All store there.

The recommended one is HX5.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 17:53   #5605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

R3X is fine, it is CH4 which is exactly the grade Mahindra specifies for the Scorpio. The HX5 I've seen is SN/CF and ACEA A3/B3 so not quite a good idea. I haven't seen a CH4 variant but if the can says CH4 go ahead, it is a synthetic blend oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Please make sure that the oil filter is original and not whatever the mechanic picks up from the nearby store. Alternatively you can get it changed in the Mahindra service center, its cheap just to change the oil. Also the original consumables are available in JC Road, they have an M2All store there.
Purolator has a quite reliable oil filter (and air, AC filters) for the Scorpio. Rather better than the Mahindra ones. UFI Sofima is also quite good, as is Valeo. Don't touch Zip or Elofic.

Last edited by hserus : 16th September 2020 at 18:02.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 18:03   #5606
BHPian

Quote:
R3X is fine, it is CH4 which is exactly the grade Mahindra specifies for the Scorpio. The HX5 I've seen is SN/CF and ACEA A3/B3 so not quite a good idea. I haven't seen a CH4 variant but if the can says CH4 go ahead, it is a synthetic blend oil.
HX5 has a CH4 variant too...its listed on Shell India website. I checked Tech specs for HX5, Rimula R3X and R4. R3X viscosity numbers are better than HX5 and closer to R4. So R3X is a better choice over H5X. Will go for it.

Shell guys are giving Purolator filter option too. Will get it as well...

Thanks for all the help again guys

Last edited by JKBKS : 16th September 2020 at 18:04.
Old 16th September 2020, 18:33   #5607
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Purolator has a quite reliable oil filter (and air, AC filters) for the Scorpio. Rather better than the Mahindra ones. UFI Sofima is also quite good, as is Valeo. Don't touch Zip or Elofic.
This is the data sheet of HX5. Its CH4 as well.

From their positioning in Shell portal, HX5 is for passenger cars and Rimula is for commercial vehicles. Cant go wrong with either of them.

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-hx5-ch4.jpg

It is good to buy an oil filter that the OEM says is good for 20K Kms, most likely the red filters are made by Purolator itself.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2020, 13:17   #5608
BHPian

Got it done from Shell pump yesterday. They stock Bosch and Purolator oil filters too. I insisted on Purolator as recommended.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th September 2020 at 16:14. Reason: Copied the tire related posts to the relevant thread. Thanks.
JKBKS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2020, 13:00   #5609
BHPian

Quote:
Got it done from Shell pump yesterday. They stock Bosch and Purolator oil filters too. I insisted on Purolator as recommended.
Update: Its been only 2 days and I can already feel a sea change in how the car is driving. Its very smooth. Didn't know a good oil can make such a big difference in car's running. Going forward I will get the oil change done at Shell pump rather than getting it done from a local mechanic as part of the once-a-year overall service
JKBKS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2020, 12:29   #5610
BHPian

Need suggestions regarding engine oil for my wife's Figo.

Model - 2013 1.2 Petrol (Duratec)
Spec as per Manual - 10W30 WSS-M2C923-A1
Mileage - 75000

- Should I stick to the usual Mineral/Semi-synthetic oil from the service center or go for fully synthetic?
- If I go in for fully synthetic oil, are the oil change intervals going to be longer?
- I'm unable to find many options for 10W30 synthetic oil. Looks like this is grade widely used for two-wheelers, so a I'm unable to find a 4L can.
- The car's running has increased a lot off late, to 1500 km or so every month. I'm not sure if I want to get it serviced every 6 months. Instead, shall I change the oil every 6 months at Shell and take to the ASC once a year?
- Speaking of shell, how good are they at oil changes? Do they also have the right oil filter or is it best I procure it from Boodmo separately?

Last edited by Vibhav-Van : 20th September 2020 at 12:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks