Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2020, 12:49   #5611
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Ford WSS-M2C923C1/C2 is the current standard. Mobil Super 3000 X1 is the only oil in the open market that fits that standard.

Also acceptable - 5w30 ACEA A5/B5 for which there are several oils in the market.

Only a few dozen posts in this very thread mentioning this, do a search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhav-Van View Post
Need suggestions regarding engine oil for my wife's Figo.

Model - 2013 1.2 Petrol (Duratec)
Spec as per Manual - 10W30 WSS-M2C923-A1
Mileage - 75000

- Should I stick to the usual Mineral/Semi-synthetic oil from the service center or go for fully synthetic?
- If I go in for fully synthetic oil, are the oil change intervals going to be longer?
- I'm unable to find many options for 10W30 synthetic oil. Looks like this is grade widely used for two-wheelers, so a I'm unable to find a 4L can.
- The car's running has increased a lot off late, to 1500 km or so every month. I'm not sure if I want to get it serviced every 6 months. Instead, shall I change the oil every 6 months at Shell and take to the ASC once a year?
- Speaking of shell, how good are they at oil changes? Do they also have the right oil filter or is it best I procure it from Boodmo separately?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 16:27   #5612
BHPian

Hello all,

Need your advise in picking a good engine oil for my Liva diesel & our 2012 Honda City petrol. She's running the Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 since a year. While getting her serviced we found half a litre less. Meaning this D4D does eat oil. Topped it up for now. I have been using Amsoil for the past 2 oil changes & its probably the finest oil I have used by far. But I want to try some other brand. The Motul 5w40 CRDi/ 8100 X-Cess are on my mind. I also remember speaking to the folks at LiquiMoly and they recommended the Leichtlauf High Tech 5w40. How do these stack up with the Amsoil? Please share your thoughts and names of the best 100% synthetic oils I can try. I am done with the Americans for now. And I honestly don't mind saving a few bucks as well.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 18:51   #5613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Hello all,
Need your advise in picking a good engine oil for my Liva diesel & our 2012 Honda City petrol. She's running the Amsoil Signature Series 5w30 since a year. While getting her serviced we found half a litre less. Meaning this D4D does eat oil.
Liqui Moly is a nice oil but hadn’t you first check why you’re losing oil to that extent?

Clean the pcv valve / oil separator for instance, then check for smoke emissions and soot in the exhaust tip.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 19:00   #5614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Liqui Moly is a nice oil but hadn’t you first check why you’re losing oil to that extent?

Clean the pcv valve / oil separator for instance, then check for smoke emissions and soot in the exhaust tip.
Thanks sire! The emissions are fine and the exhaust looks ok too. Shall get the PCV valve/ OS checked. Your take on the Motul CRDi?
Old 6th October 2020, 19:01   #5615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks sire! The emissions are fine and the exhaust looks ok too. Shall get the PCV valve/ OS checked. Your take on the Motul CRDi?
I have not used that oil, and don’t know the spec. If it fits your car based on weight and standard feel free.
Old 8th October 2020, 23:01   #5616
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,

2012 Honda City petrol
Hi, please let me know what oil you choose for the City. I too own one recently, and I'm on the lookout for a good Engine oil for mine.
Old 8th October 2020, 23:15   #5617
BHPian

Quote:

You shouldn't need any engine flush, Honda normally uses a good semi synthetic oil that's quite OK for engine performance.
Hello Sir, from my limited knowledge, doesn't a change in the type of oil - Semi Synthetic to Synthetic or Mineral or Synthetic require a engine flush before?

Apologies for the ignorance.
Old 9th October 2020, 16:01   #5618
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterace View Post
Did you use the Gulfstar oil? How was your experience?
My apologies for late response please.

I Am using Eiffel Lubricants 5w30 Full synthetic oil and I felt it's much better than Amsoil.

Really smooth and seems like my car gained more power.
I have done 12k with this oil and done oil change last week.
Old 9th October 2020, 17:36   #5619
BHPian

Hey Guys,

My Seltos Diesel (Chennai if the ambient temps are important as they seem to be), the grade recommended is 0W20, but the problem is, am not able to find this easily in stores.

Amazon yes but the description says petrol and a few even say MGA (Maruti Genuine Accessory)

Question then is, any other grade I can buy?

Kia Authorised Service Centre only stocks mineral, but they are okay with me buying the Synthetic oil for them, they will do the change free of cost.

Issue though is I just had it changed (as I could not find the Synthetic Ow20 before service), so am planning on changing it in the 15k mark.

From this thread I got,

https://www.euroliquids.co.in/produc...-rsv-sae-0w-20

But this says it was designed for Volvo engines....can I use this on a Kia Diesel?

This is what I got on Amazon,

https://www.amazon.in/Castrol-MAGNAT...2245160&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.in/PITZO-IDEMITSU...2245160&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.in/MOBIL1-0W-20-A...2245160&sr=8-4
Old 12th October 2020, 01:55   #5620
BHPian

Quote:
I have not used that oil, and don’t know the spec. If it fits your car based on weight and standard feel free.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManasN95 View Post
Hi, please let me know what oil you choose for the City. I too own one recently, and I'm on the lookout for a good Engine oil for mine.
Which model year is your City? You can try the Amsoil 5w30 XL series. Beautiful oil that.
coolmel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 10:05   #5621
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Amsoil Signature 5W-30, the best synthetic I have used so far in my petrol Corolla Altis.

Last edited by R2D2 : 12th October 2020 at 10:07.
R2D2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 10:11   #5622
BHPian

Quote:
Which model year is your City? You can try the Amsoil 5w30 XL series. Beautiful oil that.
Mine is a 2012, Automatic version. Sure, I'll read up more about AMSoil, ThankYou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Amsoil Signature 5W-30, the best synthetic I have used so far in my petrol Corolla Altis.
Thank You Sir, I'll surely look into it!
Old 12th October 2020, 11:00   #5623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank You Sir, I'll surely look into it!
Before you buy any aftermarket oil please check the owners manual for the correct oil in the viscosity vs ambient temperature chart.

Not sure about Honda but modern engines including those from Maruti require xW-20. Toyota has standardised on 5W-30 mineral and 5W-40 synthetic (which is an option) for all vehicles.

Only use lube viscosities approved by the car manufacturer whether for engine or transmission.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 15:28   #5624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Toyota has standardised on 5W-30 mineral and 5W-40 synthetic (which is an option) for all vehicles.

Our 423 K run Qualis runs better on 15w-40 instead of 5W-30. Also a mechanic at TASS and few FNG mechanics mentioned that 15W-40 mineral oil is better for older engines, as they are much thicker and can operate well at higher temperatures. Just sharing my first hand information, I'm not sure how true this is though! After using 5W-30 I see consumption of oil (due to older engine) is a little higher, but after switching back to 15W-40, I did not find any additional consumption of oil. Only gripe here is engine runs little rough during cold starts, but after attaining optimal temperature, it runs smooth.
WhiteSierra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 17:01   #5625
BHPian

Friends, I wanted to try Amsoil Fully Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil and enquired a Greaves distributor in Bangalore for Amsoil Synthetic Diesel Engine Oil and he rather suggested two options, both with quite high prices.

Signature Series 5W-40 (1 gallon or 3.78 Liters)
This oil does not carry the specification whether CK4 or less, however description goes as follows:
Approvals: API SN(RESOURCE CONSERVING),SM; ILSAC GF-5,GF-4; ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; HONDA HTO-06; GM Dexos1 Gen2(supersedes LL-A-025, 6094 M, 4718 M); Chrysler MS-6395; Ford WSS-M2C946-A, WSS M2C929-A.
Is this oil meant for both kinds, i.e. Diesel and Gasoline engines?
Amazon India Link
Price of Signature series costs 3800/- for a gallon and the distributor seems to be quoting the MRP rate.

Turbo Truck version 5W-40 (1 gallon or 3.78 Liters)
Description shows "CK 4 recommendation and backward compatible to CI4 and CH4" Amazon India Link
Price of Turbo Truck series, costs 2900/- per gallon and the distributor seems to be quoting the MRP rate, however Amazon India shows discounted price of 2500/-, today.

I am looking to replace engine oil for Xylo mk 2010 mEagle, 2.5 liters CRDI Engine. Capacity of engine oil required is usually around 6.5 Liters.

This signature series engine oil seems to be more expensive than even Mobil Delvac1.
And it is not clear whether Turbo Truck version is suitable for MPVs/.

Queries:
1) Is Amsoil Signature Series SAE 5W-40 provide CK4 recommended grade ?
2) Is Amsoil Signature Series worth buying at this rate (roughly 5200/- per 5 liters, vs Delvac1 at < 5000 per 5 liters)?
3) Is Amsoil Turbo Truck a worthwhile engine oil for MPVs?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by cs_rajesh : 12th October 2020 at 17:03. Reason: hyperlinks had to be edited.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks