Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2020, 08:42   #5656
BANNED

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You're saying the VW is drinking oil so that it goes below the lowest mark within 7500 km?
Drinking 1 liter around every 7500 kms is quite common for the VAG diesels, in fact most of the European diesels. Hence I am not concerned about the oil volume reduction rate.

Quote:
As for Edge vs Magnatec - Edge is a much higher grade of Synthetic than Magnatec is. You can certainly try Edge if you have it available in Dehradun.
I am going to only top up as of now, next week I am visiting my A.S.S., will get everything done there itself, and I love the way those guys treat my VW

Quote:
Just fill Magnatec for now would be my suggestion.
Thanks for quickly suggesting, noted down and will be followed. Even my service guy also said Magnatec, so I can assume that it’s the Magnatec only inside my oil sump.

Here comes another question out of curiosity. If I take Edge or go with 5W-40 of some other brand. Will this mixing have any negative impact?

PS: I follow 7500 km oil drain interval since my car has crossed 1 lac Km mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
If it’s just the top-up I am pretty sure the local dealership can do it
Actually there are two issues.
1) It’s just a top up, don’t want to spend an hour or two at the dealership for this much only
2) My past automotive background, that makes me feel quite confident while carrying out small to mid size repairs on my cars

Quote:
You can also take your car and by showing you Vin/ Key
Yesterday I got their denial for OTC sale actually.
Old 14th December 2020, 09:00   #5657
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the wrong grade of oil then? The spec may be geared for a colder climate like Europe

Don't mix oil brands when topping up - one additive vs another isn't always a fun combination. It will run ok but not for too long an interval.

As the oil is below the minimum level you're better off draining and refilling - assuming you can get hold of the oil filter

Don't worry about OTC sale of filters - you can get Purolator, UFI Sofima, Valeo type branded filters that are quite good. And engine oil is something you can get anywhere at all.

Mobil 1 ESP is probably the best VW oil you can get (or Amsoil 5w30 European Car Formula), try either or both of those and see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Thanks for quickly suggesting, noted down and will be followed. Even my service guy also said Magnatec, so I can assume that it’s the Magnatec only inside my oil sump.
Yesterday I got their denial for OTC sale actually.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 09:22   #5658
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Drinking 1 liter around every 7500 kms is quite common for the VAG diesels, in fact most of the European diesels.
Must be on VW group, never on any of the BMWs I have owned. As long we run on stock tune, nothing.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 10:58   #5659
BANNED

Quote:
As the oil is below the minimum level you're better off draining and refilling - assuming you can get hold of the oil filter
Noted down, still my service guy has said that I shall simply top it up and then come to service station when the time arises.

You pour in your suggestion, I have sent the chauffy out to get 4 liter can, I will do as per the suggestion.

Quote:
Don't worry about OTC sale of filters - you can get Purolator, UFI Sofima, Valeo type branded filters that are quite good. And engine oil is something you can get anywhere at all.
Won't an aftermarket filter in place effect my extended warranty?

Quote:
Mobil 1 ESP is probably the best VW oil you can get (or Amsoil 5w30 European Car Formula), try either or both of those and see.
Currently my car is in extended warranty and I am a heavy claim taker in both insurance and EW (Recently got 2 injectors, airbag control unit, steering rack, one power window, and a few more components under EW). So, till the EW is intact - I will continue with my VW A.S.S., after that I shall shift to Mobil.

Quote:
Must be on VW group, never on any of the BMWs I have owned. As long we run on stock tune, nothing.
In VW group cars, particularly their turbo diesels, it is quite common to consume oil. Had the same with Q3 too. Cousin has older Q5 3.0 V6, that too consumes a bit of oil.

Coming to BMW, my brother in law had an X1 before the LC, the X1 too used to consume the oil, not like the VAG ones do, but around 300-400 ml used to go down within service intervals (He, being an orthodox, used to change oil and get full service done every 10k kms). He used to say "jitna daalte hain, utna kabhi bahar nahi nikalta (I never get back as much I put in)"
Old 14th December 2020, 11:04   #5660
Team-BHP Support

If under extended warranty, don’t do a full service at home. Either top it up as suggested by SA or get everything done at Dealership. Adding a litre or so oil should not be a problem. If you are worried about mixing with what VW originally added, as I suggested earlier, get it topped up at the dealership. PM a fellow member - Navpreet318, he is local and owns some auto dealerships. Very helpful person, will surely know about this VW Dealership.

If it’s a known issue or feature, always keep an extra bottle with you perhaps.

Last edited by Turbanator : 14th December 2020 at 11:06.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 11:24   #5661
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Drinking 1 liter around every 7500 kms is quite common for the VAG diesels, in fact most of the European diesels. Hence I am not concerned about the oil volume reduction rate.
When the engine was new it did not behave this way, after about 50-60K kms now the engine needs a top up between scheduled services with normal driving - something is definitely wrong.

My friend's 1.6 TDi also exhibited this normal VW behaviour post 60K kms, excessive blowby was the diagnosis - that is not normal.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 13:09   #5662
BANNED

Quote:
If under extended warranty, don’t do a full service at home. Either top it up as suggested by SA or get everything done at Dealership.
As of now, I have got the oil top up only done as of now, after taking a suggestion from my SA. The car is going to Gurgaon on 20th, will undergo a full service there itself.

Quote:
If it’s a known issue or feature, always keep an extra bottle with you perhaps.
I have always been carrying, but this time, either due to cold weather or multiple hilly trips, the consumption is slightly higher than normal. The car took hardly 200 ml of oil actually, even at top up. I am left with 3.8 liters with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
When the engine was new it did not behave this way, after about 50-60K kms now the engine needs a top up between scheduled services with normal driving - something is definitely wrong.
Mine has been like this right from day 1, my entire service record is filled with 1000 bucks bills at every 7500 km inspection. I has been like this only for me and multiple other 1.5 TDi owners I know. Currently the car is nearing 1.2 lac kms, not a single mechanical issue till date, not even a check engine light or over heating till date.

Quote:
My friend's 1.6 TDi also exhibited this normal VW behaviour post 60K kms, excessive blowby was the diagnosis - that is not normal.
Noted down, will thoroughly talk to the A.S.S. guys this time. I am any way telling them to give me a new engine under extended warranty.
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 16:11   #5663
mxh
BHPian

Quote:

Mine has been like this right from day 1, my entire service record is filled with 1000 bucks bills at every 7500 km inspection. I has been like this only for me and multiple other 1.5 TDi owners I know.
One thing I have noticed at Honda is that at service they fill the oil between the 2 dots rather than till the top dot. I have had arguments with them multiple times while picking up the car and when they realize they are not gonna be able to fool me they fill the oil till the top dot. Next time try this and see if you still are running out of oil half way through. Also they charge the customer for the full volume of oil in the bill, 36*100 ml. I wonder where the rest of the oil goes, there are so many scams everywhere...

Last edited by mxh : 14th December 2020 at 16:12.
mxh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 18:33   #5664
Senior - BHPian

^^ I have noticed this in my Maruti authorized workshop also (MSM) . The level was slightly below the upper mark when the car came back from service. When I called them next day I was informed they measure and pour the oil for each model as per workshop manual, which for my car was 2.7 litres. I checked the car manual and found it correct. I later topped up some more oil for my satisfaction. This must be the practice in all workshops. For my annual running (~4.5 k km) it remains at that level till next service and does not go down,

Actually it is alright if the level is a little below the upper mark.

Last edited by Gansan : 14th December 2020 at 18:35.
Old 14th December 2020, 20:37   #5665
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
One thing I have noticed at Honda is that at service they fill the oil between the 2 dots rather than till the top dot. I have had arguments with them multiple times while picking up the car and when they realize they are not gonna be able to fool me they fill the oil till the top dot.
Now this is something interesting, I will definitely give this one a try in my next visit to service station. Normally the oil level is between the lower and upper mark, normally under the mid section. Next time onwards, will ask them to fill up till at least near to the upper mark.
Old 14th December 2020, 20:39   #5666
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now this is something interesting, I will definitely give this one a try in my next visit to service station. Normally the oil level is between the lower and upper mark, normally under the mid section. Next time onwards, will ask them to fill up till at least near to the upper mark.
Don't overfill beyond the recommended limit. You will wind up drinking even more oil because the excess oil + blowby will lead to a dirty intercooler / oil separator valve.

Get those removed, clean them with diesel + wd40 and see what happens?
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2020, 07:17   #5667
BHPian

Hey all, need a brand recommendation. Amazon is finally stocking 0w20 synthetic and there are now multiple brands with this viscosity.

1)Mobil super 3,000 - 3.5ltrs Rs 1,520

2) Idimetsu Pitzo (but it says petrol engine, mine is diesel)

3) shell helix - Rs 2,500 / 3 ltrs

Is the helix worth that extra cost?
Old 22nd December 2020, 07:40   #5668
Senior - BHPian

It'd be good to figure out what kind of 0w20 oil you need first. ACEA C3? ACEA A5/B5? ILSAC GF-5? etc etc. What does your car's manual say?

Also Mobil Super 3000 and Idemitsu are Group 3 synthetics - the cheaper variety, about the same quality as a dealer would stock (Idemitsu is OEM for Honda, Toyota etc)

Shell is a premium full synthetic so will of course be costlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Hey all, need a brand recommendation. Amazon is finally stocking 0w20 synthetic and there are now multiple brands with this viscosity.

1)Mobil super 3,000 - 3.5ltrs Rs 1,520

2) Idimetsu Pitzo (but it says petrol engine, mine is diesel)

3) shell helix - Rs 2,500 / 3 ltrs

Is the helix worth that extra cost?

Last edited by hserus : 22nd December 2020 at 07:42.
Old 22nd December 2020, 07:55   #5669
BHPian

Quote:
It'd be good to figure out what kind of 0w20 oil you need first. ACEA C3? ACEA A5/B5? ILSAC GF-5? etc etc. What does your car's manual say?

Also Mobil Super 3000 and Idemitsu are Group 3 synthetics - the cheaper variety, about the same quality as a dealer would stock (Idemitsu is OEM for Honda, Toyota etc)

Shell is a premium full synthetic so will of course be costlier.
Thanks Hserus, the manual says ACEA c5.
Old 22nd December 2020, 08:06   #5670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stribog View Post
Thanks Hserus, the manual says ACEA c5.
As you can see that Mobil Super 3000 is ACEA C2, many of the others are ILSAC GF5 ..

The only non OEM oil currently in the Indian market that meets your required spec is Mobil 1 ESP X2 which is an excellent oil but seriously expensive. 1 litre 1300, 5 litres 6000.

https://www.amazon.in/Mobil-0W20-Adv...dp/B0733LFX6X/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks