Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2021, 22:49   #5746
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Anyone using Motul on current generation 3,2 Endeavour? Local dealer for Motul suggested this. It says Gasoline but I guess, these are good for Diesel too. If not than what other should I try - fully synthetic preferred.

https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/produ...-eco-lite-5w30
Don't use it. The oil is specific to Gasoline engines and the Ford specs listed too aren't for Diesels.

Try Amsoil 5w30 Signature Series. https://www.amazon.in/AMSOIL-Signatu...dp/B004Q0W03K/

Or this Amsoil diesel only 5w30 https://www.amazon.in/Signature-Synt.../dp/B07NPCJ587
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2021, 23:58   #5747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
What IS the use of buying expensive synthetic and using it to top up mineral oil? Homemade semi synthetic oil?

Nothing much will happen to your car - use the rest of the synthetic but going forward stick to a good semi synthetic in the correct weight say 15w40 or 20w40.
Hi Suresh, please recommend a good semi synthetic or synthetic for F10D Estilo.

Thanks
Old 22nd March 2021, 05:48   #5748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Hi Suresh, please recommend a good semi synthetic or synthetic for F10D Estilo.

Thanks
This magnatec 15w40 says it is for diesel cars but has dual petrol and diesel specs API SN ACEA A3B4

Castrol MAGNATEC Diesel 15W-40 API SN Part-Synthetic Engine Oil for Diesel Cars (5 L) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00PMZYVHG/...382G8BJKTEPXFR
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 16:57   #5749
BHPian

Re: Trusted Petrol Pumps in Bangalore

Forgot to mention, there was a serious goof up in oil change for my Petra a few years ago. Guys there fitted a wrong oil filter and caused oil leak, possibly ~ 2k-3k to me. I had to push them to admit the problem, did not escalate it as workers there pleaded me not to do for there could be a job loss.

Once got oil change done there for Vento TDI, felt it was expensive ~ 8K for Helix Ulta possibly. But felt the oil was good and lasted for over a year.
Old 23rd April 2021, 18:09   #5750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I think that's how Shell's are.
Passed by the local Shell bunk today afternoon, and you are correct - one display each side and multiple nozzles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
Once got oil change done there for Vento TDI, felt it was expensive ~ 8K for Helix Ulta possibly. But felt the oil was good and lasted for over a year.
isnt that synthetic oil ? Synthetic would be expensive, and is better - but IMO a bit of overkill for driving which is mostly city for a large group of car owners. I have personally stuck to mineral oil for my cars, and have never had issues / felt need to go with synthetic.

Last edited by condor : 23rd April 2021 at 18:12.
Old 23rd April 2021, 18:16   #5751
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I have personally stuck to mineral oil for my cars, and have never had issues / felt need to go with synthetic.
There will never be issues with normal (mineral) oil nor will anyone feel the need to switch to synthetic oils but if someone notices a perceivable difference and not just placebo upon switching to synthetic oil, they would continue to use them in their vehicles.

Even within the synthetic oil categories, there are few brands that really make a difference and not just that, this difference lasts till more than 10,000 Km too and that is exactly when one will swear by synthetic oil for their vehicle.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 18:25   #5752
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
..not just placebo upon switching to synthetic oil,
My observation - quite a few times people experience the placebo effect even after regular oil changes. But more so with less than optimal usage/maintenance. (example- oil not changed on time).

Sometimes on switching oil brands during oil changes. Just like with new Tyres.
Old 23rd April 2021, 18:30   #5753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
My observation - quite a few times people experience the placebo effect even after regular oil changes.
This is the reason why I discounted placebo effect and was referring to the experiences of typical long term usage and driving. Not where I am seated next to the driver and experiencing it.

Remember that we always have a placebo when driving soon after that water-wash also .

Quote:
Sometimes on switching oil brands during oil changes. Just like with new Tyres.
Recommend an oil brand to a friend and ask him to provide feedback not on tomorrow or day after but after months of usage and you will know what he is talking about.

I have used one brand of synthetic oil for more than 3 changes and have kept posting about how I hardly noticed any difference but when I switched to another brand, I just couldn't ignore the difference I felt even right before draining the oil and replacing it and then I stuck to it.
Old 23rd April 2021, 18:32   #5754
BHPian

Yes. For Vento TDI 1.6 the recommended one is Fully synthetic oil. The car was running very less so next oil change was after about 1+ yrs.

Last edited by sreenivass : 23rd April 2021 at 18:55.
Old 23rd April 2021, 21:08   #5755
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

the real quality of E.oil is to be ascertained by how the engine behaves 10000 km after oil change, not after 500 km or 1000 km. In that respect synthetic oils are leagues ahead of mineral oils, without doubt.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 21:17   #5756
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkyhere View Post
the real quality of E.oil is to be ascertained by how the engine behaves 10000 km after oil change, not after 500 km or 1000 km. In that respect synthetic oils are leagues ahead of mineral oils, without doubt.
This is exactly what I had referred to earlier
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
this difference lasts till more than 10,000 Km too and that is exactly when one will swear by synthetic oil for their vehicle.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 10:11   #5757
BHPian

Any recommendations for the Ciaz 1.5 petrol?. Maruti recommends a one of kind 0W16, claiming it to be designed for 'good fuel economy and cold weather starting'. Is it a marketing gimmick or does it actually work the way it claims? or can I use some other grade 0w20, 0w30?
Old 24th April 2021, 11:17   #5758
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMIOrange View Post
Any recommendations for the Ciaz 1.5 petrol?. Maruti recommends a one of kind 0W16, claiming it to be designed for 'good fuel economy and cold weather starting'. Is it a marketing gimmick or does it actually work the way it claims? or can I use some other grade 0w20, 0w30?
Take the petrol engines from maruti and honda - they will use really thin oils (0W20, 0W30, 5W30 etc) - there will be no xW40 at all. This is one of the reasons why maruti and honda petrols return stupendous FE.
Also the DDIS and the earthdreams iDtec both use 5W30 - again one of the contributing reasons why their small turbo diesels give stupendous FE compared to similar engines from from competitors.
venkyhere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 11:42   #5759
BHPian

@hserus After reading many posts and suggestions. I am growing more uncertain. So, for VW Veto TDI 1.6 2013 the best suitable oil is Castrol Edge Titanium? Shell has no oil that meets VW 505.01. Magnatec does not, not many 5W40 meet 505.01. Servo seems to have one that meets the grade.
Old 24th April 2021, 12:05   #5760
Senior - BHPian

My car's annual service comes up in another two months. I usually take my own Shell (10W40 semi synth or 5w40 synth) oil to MSM for the oil change. Last year I did not go because of the pandemic and allowed them to take the car for service and bring back. Because their MGO oils do not have any 40 weight, I allowed them to fill Mobil 1 0w40 synthetic and found it rather good.

This year also it looks unlikely I will be able to buy oil and take the car for service. I think I will let them repeat last year's service and oil change. But the only hitch is I usually keep some left over oil after the change for any future top ups. Not possible now because they measure and pour the oil from a large barrel. Is there any reliable online source to buy a litre of Mobil 1? I see some shops with Mobil boards in my vicinity but am not sure about them. I don't want to go to GP Road under the circumstances.

Last edited by Gansan : 24th April 2021 at 12:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks