Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2021, 20:04   #5776
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
I could find absolutely zero difference in performance or NVH. Still as gravelly and unrefined when revved as usual. Not consistent with other user reviews.

Does anyone think I should source my own oil?

Need advice choosing while considering that this car never does 10,000 KMs. It's always time based. Hardly ever crosses 5000kms. Is this supposed to affect my choice of oil in anyway?
If oil could make so much difference in NVH without affecting anything else , pretty sure they would have done that.

Find out from them if the oil meets the specifications for the idtec engine, there will be a data sheet somewhere considering its a Honda - share it with us for our information as well.

Most of the oils available are multi weight, so there will always be something added to it with varying degree of marketing - that makes everything Synthetic! As long as it's tested for your engine / prescribed by the manufacturer, you are good to go.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2021, 20:46   #5777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
If oil could make so much difference in NVH without affecting anything else , pretty sure they would have done that.
Clearly you haven't driven a safari before and after a service. Oh boy, the joy! Unparalleled!
:P

It's obviously not a fair comparo. But I expected at least a slight change. As bhpian 1.2tsi7dsg says, it's a mini truck, not a car.

The safari has set unreal expectations for me.

Quote:
Find out from them if the oil meets the specifications for the idtec engine, there will be a data sheet somewhere considering its a Honda - share it with us for our information as well.
The SA was absolutely clueless and the service head wasn't very warm either. They didn't want me on the service floor and lied to me to make me wait in the customer lounge.

I had the SA take me to see the barrels of oil. They didn't have any more details.

Here are pictures of the barrel.
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-20210325_110022.jpg

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-20210325_110026.jpg

Quote:
Most of the oils available are multi weight, so there will always be something added to it with varying degree of marketing - that makes everything Synthetic!
Funny thing is their website has petrol oils labelled as Synthetic and Mineral, but nothing of that sort for the diesel engines. Refer to the attached screenshot.

I had posted it on the CITY review thread. No one replied.
Here's a screenshot from Honda's website. Utterly useless resources they have on their websites.

ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-screenshot_20210323195546_chrome.jpg

Quote:
As long as it's tested for your engine / prescribed by the manufacturer, you are good to go.
EDIT:Forgot to mention, this was at HONDA ASC itself. So it was all company approved stuff

Us enthusiasts are sometimes a bit too greedy, we don't just want "fine" . Always looking for that little bit extra

Last edited by viXit : 24th April 2021 at 20:50. Reason: Cropped screenshot, fixed typo
viXit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 00:12   #5778
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Clearly you haven't driven a safari before and after a service. Oh boy, the joy! Unparalleled!
:P

It's obviously not a fair comparo. But I expected at least a slight change. As bhpian 1.2tsi7dsg says, it's a mini truck, not a car.

The safari has set unreal expectations for me.

The SA was absolutely clueless and the service head wasn't very warm either. They didn't want me on the service floor and lied to me to make me wait in the customer lounge.

I had the SA take me to see the barrels of oil. They didn't have any more details.

Funny thing is their website has petrol oils labelled as Synthetic and Mineral, but nothing of that sort for the diesel engines. Refer to the attached screenshot.
I think during cold start a brand new oil builds oil pressure quickly perhaps, I really cannot tell the difference , probably in colder places it's very noticeable.

Next time when they call you for service booking just tell them that you won't bring the vehicle in unless you get access to the service bay.

For the present Turbo common rail diesel engines a diesel specific oil is used , it's usually synthetic and perhaps thats why it's not mentioned.

Is this 0W20 the only oil available in the dealership now for all vehicles?
Old 25th April 2021, 00:25   #5779
BHPian

Quote:
I think during cold start a brand new oil builds oil pressure quickly perhaps, I really cannot tell the difference , probably in colder places it's very noticeable.
Sadly it's quite hot up here in HYD. Can't tell any difference. Hope to tour the mountains in my car someday.

Quote:
Next time when they call you for service booking just tell them that you won't bring the vehicle in unless you get access to the service bay.
Told them as much. The service head was quite rude. I'll try an FNG or go to another ASC. But it's a company wide policy.
Quote:
For the present Turbo common rail diesel engines a diesel specific oil is used , it's usually synthetic and perhaps thats why it's not mentioned.
I hope so. But since it's not under warranty anyway I think I'm better off sourcing my own oil.

Quote:
Is this 0W20 the only oil available in the dealership now for all vehicles?
For all diesel Hondas that use this 0W20. This is the only oil they have.
Old 25th April 2021, 19:04   #5780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
There is also a Renault spec RN.some long number

Check your manual for what grade of oil is recommended as an alternate if Renault oil isn’t available. Also duster owners I know have used the synthetic oil that Renault recommends for Fluence with excellent results so lighter weight synthetic rather than 15w40 mineral oils can be used.
Thanks for the reply, nothing else given, it just says SAE 15W40 for Diesel and Petrol engine. No alternatives given unless I'm missing something.
Old 25th April 2021, 19:31   #5781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav3r1ckblu3 View Post
Thanks for the reply, nothing else given, it just says SAE 15W40 for Diesel and Petrol engine. No alternatives given unless I'm missing something.
1.5 litre diesel or whatever the small sized petrol engine means a good 5w40 will work just fine
Old 25th April 2021, 20:03   #5782
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

For all diesel Hondas that use this 0W20. This is the only oil they have.
This is what I could see in a WRV manual.

Honda Diesel Oil #2.0
ACEA C2 or C3
0W-30, 5W-30

Whatever they fill as Diesel oil 2.0 is certainly appropriate, but unless there is a service bulletin that says you can use the same oil for diesel and petrol, I won't be comfortable running diesel engine on a non diesel oil.

For this reason alone I do not recommend switching away from authorised service center, get them to give you information as to what is appropriate for your vehicle, switch to a different service center if needed.
Old 25th April 2021, 20:24   #5783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is what I could see in a WRV manual.

Honda Diesel Oil #2.0
ACEA C2 or C3
0W-30, 5W-30

Whatever they fill as Diesel oil 2.0 is certainly appropriate, but unless there is a service bulletin that says you can use the same oil for diesel and petrol, I won't be comfortable running diesel engine on a non diesel oil.
C2 and C3 are dual use petrol + diesel specs

ACEA C2 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Low Viscosity Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 2.9 mPa*s.

ACEA C3 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil with Mid SAPS-Level, intended for use as catalyst compatible Oil at extended Drain Intervals in Vehicles with all Types of modern Aftertreatment Systems and High Performance Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & DI Diesel Engines that are designed to be capable of using Oils with a minimum HTHS Viscosity of 3.5 mPa*s.
hserus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 09:51   #5784
Senior - BHPian

I'm now sold on Shell Rotella R4x hdeo since my last change ~ 4000kms ago in the Crysta. Nothing to complain if wrt smoothness or driving feel. Being a hdeo tbn is high and should hold good till next change 6000kms after. I don't think I will go back to synthetics with Crysta.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2021, 13:20   #5785
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I'm now sold on Shell Rotella R4x hdeo since my last change ~ 4000kms ago in the Crysta. Nothing to complain if wrt smoothness or driving feel. Being a hdeo tbn is high and should hold good till next change 6000kms after. I don't think I will go back to synthetics with Crysta.
Where are you getting Rotella? It’s on the market for a while yet but I can’t find it in Chennai, I could do with a good CK4 mineral.

Nor can I find the ck4 mineral oils launched by the govt owned OMCs, Servo, Mak and HP all have been CK4 HDEO mineral oils.
Old 26th April 2021, 20:37   #5786
BHPian

Has any one tries servo for VW or Skoda. Servo TECHNIC OL PLUS 05W30 TECHNIC OL 05W30 meets VW 505 01 and seems less expensive. It is less than INR 2500/ 4.6 Liters?
Old 30th April 2021, 14:04   #5787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Thanks Hserus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Santro - Shell HX8 or Shell Taxi 5w30 A3B4

(or just pour shell helix ultra for both cars, though you may not want to use costlier full synthetic oils in a beater)
I would suggest that you not use 5W30 for you santro xing, Pls refer to the owners manual below and select the right grade accordingly.. for chennai's hot climate I'm using the 15W40 option on mine.. Shell HX5 mineral is a good option, it's what I have poured in mine..
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img_9624.jpg  

Turrrb0 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 14:07   #5788
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrrb0 View Post
I would suggest that you not use 5W30 for you santro xing, Pls refer to the owners manual below and select the right grade accordingly.. for chennai's hot climate I'm using the 15W40 option on mine.. Shell HX5 mineral is a good option, it's what I have poured in mine..
This is a 2005 Santro Xing, hope you're referring to the same as well?
Old 30th April 2021, 14:44   #5789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
This is a 2005 Santro Xing, hope you're referring to the same as well?
Yes, I own a 2008 santro xing. Requirements of both cars will be identical. The shot of the owner's manual is for the same (my 2008 xing).

Do go through your manual too, if you happen to have it. I was quite surprised at how detailed, and simply things have been explained as well. It answers most if not all the basic questions that would arise. There's a very nice section detailing out how to do the simple maintenance works DIY too !

Last edited by Turrrb0 : 30th April 2021 at 14:48.
Turrrb0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2021, 15:42   #5790
BHPian

It is puzzling to read about performance in motor oils. I feel no difference in the different brands of motor oils I use.The car will always feel smooth after an oil change but that has nothing to do with brand. Even with the cheapest tractor oil.

The quality of a motor oil will only show after hundreds of thousands of kilometers. Most of you dont run or keep a car that long.
I use only Castrol Edge FST in mine. I choose my oil on price of a good quality oil. So far Castrol has been the cheapest if I buy 40 liters. My car has passed 400,000 km and engine has not been opened.

It is a waste of time trying to find the best oil as there are no best oils today.
In the old days with single weight oils, you could find better oils when the multi weight oils came.
Why not stick to one brand and grade and drive your cars.

Last edited by Indian2003 : 30th April 2021 at 16:04.
Indian2003 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks