Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2021, 17:49   #5821

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Shell HX8 or Shell Helix Taxi (semi synthetic) are excellent oils and your Hyundai will run quite well with them. My wife's i10 runs on that just fine.

Amsoil - go for this one if you really want it. Yes distributor rates are likely to be far cheaper than retail rates. If he has unsold stocks he needs to clear he'll definitely pass on more part of his margin to customers. So ask him if this one below (signature series 5w30) is available.

https://www.amazon.in/Amsoil-WV01RCA...dp/B00EXBSLBC/
Unfortunately, he doesn't have Amsoil Signature 5W30 in stock nor does he know when it'll be available next. He cited Covid and high base oil prices for the uncertainty. He has only Motul right now.

Amsoil XL is available on Amazon and the seller is the importer Greeves Cotton. Amsoil Signature has some unknown seller with no record so I am avoiding ordering that despite it being my first choice.
Old 22nd June 2021, 21:37   #5822
Senior - BHPian

For your low running not much point ordering Amsoil, that would justify the cost if you did several highway trips. Just fill shell helix taxi and change oil every 8k km say or given your running, once a year.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 11:51   #5823

Quote:
For your low running not much point ordering Amsoil, that would justify the cost if you did several highway trips. Just fill shell helix taxi and change oil every 8k km say or given your running, once a year.

Thanks, Hserus! I went ahead and ordered Shell HX8 from Cloudtail on Amazon.
Old 23rd June 2021, 13:54   #5824

Quote:
Forgot to ask, now that I am moving from regular HASS mineral oil to fully synthetic, do I need to use engine flush before the oil change?
Old 23rd June 2021, 20:13   #5825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akki_kap View Post
Forgot to ask, now that I am moving from regular HASS mineral oil to fully synthetic, do I need to use engine flush before the oil change?
Just change the oil no need to use any engine flush.
driving_smartly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2021, 21:19   #5826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Just change the oil no need to use any engine flush.
Yeah your engine isn't a toilet, to need flushing.

If you haven't changed the oil in a very long time and there is sludge / sediment etc on the dipstick, you're in all kinds of trouble already, but maybe an engine flush might help remove some minor clogs.

If you keep changing your oil on schedule no need to flush.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th June 2021, 23:46   #5827

Thank you, hserus and driving_smartly! I won't be flushing the engine
akki_kap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 11:34   #5828
Senior - BHPian

Changed the engine oil of my TVS Jupiter at the Shell petrol pump opposite RTO in Pune. Used 10W30 mineral oil of JASO MB grade.

I wasn't actually aware of this petrol pump. The famous petrol pump opposite RTO is the BP COCO pump; for decades. I went there first. They didn't have all the tools in place. After trying for 15-20 minutes, they raised their hands. As a noble gesture, they have employed people with impaired hearing. But these people (and even the other people) aren't proficient at changing the oil.

One of these people advised me to go to the Shell pump by the side. The job was done promptly and efficiently there.
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-img20210629wa0003.jpg  

Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 22:03   #5829
BHPian

Quote:
1.5 litre diesel or whatever the small sized petrol engine means a good 5w40 will work just fine
Hi

Quick question-
I have an etios liva diesel (2014)
So far I've been using mineral oil (15W40)
I was thinking of switching to synthetic and my mechanic recommended 5W-40

Car is in great shape. Timely service, No major repair etc!

I read in ur post somewhere that the engine seal etc might've work out for an old car (like an i10) & that might be a potential concern for using a less viscous oil like 5W-40?

Is there any concern in switching from 15w40 to 5W40?

Also, is this OK in Hyderabad, where outside temp easily goes to 40-43C during summer?
som9729 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2021, 22:15   #5830
BHPian

Quote:
1.5 litre diesel or whatever the small sized petrol engine means a good 5w40 will work just fine
On that note, another query

I've noticed that synthetic oils mostly have 5w-30 & 5w-40
Very few seem to be 15-w40

Any particular reason?
Old 30th July 2021, 04:40   #5831
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by som9729 View Post

Any particular reason?
2014 cars won’t be hurt by synthetic but your Etios will run perfectly well on what Toyota pours for you. Good oil at a reasonable price.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 10:09   #5832
BHPian

Quote:
2014 cars won’t be hurt by synthetic but your Etios will run perfectly well on what Toyota pours for you. Good oil at a reasonable price.
Thanks!

To improve mileage/efficiency, would Shell Rimula suit my car?
Its the only good 15w-40 oil I found with CI-4 standard.
Old 30th July 2021, 11:23   #5833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is there any concern in switching from 15w40 to 5W40?
I was using 20w 40 initially for my 2009 Alto. Switched to 15W 40 mineral for a while. Then used 10W 40 semi synthetic for many years. For the 10th and 11th year services respectively I used 5W 40 and 0W 40 fully synthetic oils. No issues. Car is absolutely fine. For the current 12th year service I am mulling whether I should use synthetic or go back to semi synthetic because of the low usage. Car has done slightly more than 38k in all these years.
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 02:27   #5834
BHPian

Quote:

Any particular reason?
I have a 40k run Liva diesel as well and currently using the Motul CRDi 5w40 after using Amsoil for quite a bit. 5w30 is what Toyota recommends. I feel because of the their blends they don't need to have a 15w value, you know what I m saying? I have tried the Delvac, the 5w40 though. Wanted to try the 15w40 but went in for this. Try Amsoil, well worth it. Stick to 5w grade.

Also, I highly recommend you try the Amsoil Cetane Boost. Probably the best one out there! Fun-tastic product.

Also on another note, asking this to yall: I want to try the FS Mobil1 0w40 on the Liva. Is it compatible?
Old 7th August 2021, 04:48   #5835
BHPian

Quote:

Any particular reason?
The need for synthetics was driven partly by better flow characteristics especially under extreme temperature conditions (that was the premise 15 years ago when synthetics had started to become mainstream).

Over the years the tolerances in the engines started to become tighter, engines started to run hotter, compression ratios climbed up, turbo charging became the norm and then their was pressure from regulatory authorities such as EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) to improve the the fleet CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) for OEMs. The North American automotive OEMs are expected to hit 55MPG by 2027 and thinner oils is one such way among many others to get there.

All these are diametrically opposite requirements and the oil majors did their best to meet these by bringing in a slew of products and majority of these products fall into lower viscometric spectrum such as 5W/0W etc.

15W-40 oil by the very nature (viscometric) is blended thicker and not much would be gained by blending a fully synthetic 15-40 although my old employer (Shell North America) does have a synthetic blend Rotella 15W-40 (primarily a diesel engine oil) in addition to some of the other majors. I believe some boutique manufacturers do have a full synthetic 15W-40. Additionally 15W-40 is normally recommended for relatively older vehicles that do not require full synthetic motor oils and thereby the absence of such a product from the majors.

Hope this helps explain your question.

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 7th August 2021 at 04:51.
Vikram Arya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks