Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2022, 12:01   #6001
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Friends,
May I use Shell 5W-40 API-SP grade oil in my car? I am sorry if it is discussed previously. Earlier I continued to use API-SN oil of the same grade but now my local oil seller says that it is a later version, like API-SN replaced API-SM. The car in question is a SX-4 (petrol).
I may even upload a picture of the 4 litre jar, if needed for the convenience of the esteemed members.
Regards,
Rahul
Old 7th September 2022, 12:05   #6002
Senior - BHPian

SP is a newer spec and reverse compatible to SN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
Friends,
May I use Shell 5W-40 API-SP grade oil in my car? I am sorry if it is discussed previously. Earlier I continued to use API-SN oil of the same grade but now my local oil seller says that it is a later version, like API-SN replaced API-SM. The car in question is a SX-4 (petrol).
I may even upload a picture of the 4 litre jar, if needed for the convenience of the esteemed members.
Regards,
Rahul
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 17:22   #6003
BHPian

Question to Amsoil Signature / Toyota owners.

My friendly mechanic has advised against the Amsoil Signature 5-30 oil for the Altis stating that it is not suitable for high mileage engines (mine is 150xxx km) and might start troubles that are not present now.

I however read and hear only good things from Amsoil users. I am a button click away from ordering the Amsoil. Should I take the plunge or continue with Shell Helix 5-40?
Old 24th September 2022, 17:36   #6004
Senior - BHPian

Higher mileage engines can be clogged with gunk and the seals may be brittle due to age.

Most premium synthetics especially the ones tagged high mileage / long life include seal conditioners besides other additives that dissolve such gunk gently rather than scrub it all off and dissolve the seal as well.

If not amsoil get Castrol 5w30 LL don’t worry especially if you have a clean engine and no existing oil leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Question to Amsoil Signature / Toyota owners.

My friendly mechanic has advised against the Amsoil Signature 5-30 oil for the Altis stating that it is not suitable for high mileage engines (mine is 150xxx km) and might start troubles that are not present now.

I however read and hear only good things from Amsoil users. I am a button click away from ordering the Amsoil. Should I take the plunge or continue with Shell Helix 5-40?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2022, 17:41   #6005
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Higher mileage engines can be clogged with gunk and the seals may be brittle due to age.

Most premium synthetics especially the ones tagged high mileage / long life include seal conditioners besides other additives that dissolve such gunk gently rather than scrub it all off and dissolve the seal as well.

If not amsoil get Castrol 5w30 LL don’t worry especially if you have a clean engine and no existing oil leaks
Yes. My engine is clean as I have always been using a fully synthetic oil and no oil leaks and also no oil consumption.

I want to experience Amsoil as it has been praised by a number of car owners on different brands of cars.
Old 24th September 2022, 17:48   #6006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Yes. My engine is clean as I have always been using a fully synthetic oil and no oil leaks and also no oil consumption.

I want to experience Amsoil as it has been praised by a number of car owners on different brands of cars.
I think I was the first one on tbhp to use amsoil - and I don’t use it any longer especially not since buying a Scorpio and now an Endeavour that needs an almost 9 litre oil fill.

In any case I found that the value add over and above using a good synthetic like Shell HX8 5w30 was not as significant - sure you could stretch oil life to around 15-20k km but first your oil filter needs to last that long so you would end up changing just the filter and topping up midway.

Go ahead - use any good full synthetic Shell hx8, Valvoline all climate advanced, Mobil super 3000 x1 or even good old Castrol Magnatec. Change a bit before 10k if you like.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 07:51   #6007
BHPian

Quote:
In any case I found that the value add over and above using a good synthetic like Shell HX8 5w30 was not as significant - sure you could stretch oil life to around 15-20k km but first your oil filter needs to last that long so you would end up changing just the filter and topping up midway.
I have ordered Amsoil Signature from Amazon.

A jar of 3.78 liters and a can of 1 liter from Mini Shoppe, and the filter from BoodMo.

Will receive all the stuff by October 5.
Old 7th October 2022, 09:38   #6008
BHPian

I have received oil from Amazon but the oil filter delivery from BoodMo is inordinately delayed so I cancelled it. I am setting out on a long road trip tomorrow and had wanted to get the oil changed before the trip. But unfortunately, that might not happen.

Maybe I will just change the oil and keep the filter same or maybe get some different filter for the time being.
Old 16th October 2022, 12:04   #6009
BHPian

Guys I currently drive Swift Dzire Diesel 2012 model and till date haven't used any other engine oil other than Mobil Delvac 5W40. The results have been super high mileage and super smooth engine. Also I would drive with the engine oil till 12 to 13K before going in for the next service.

I would now be owning Brezza 2022 MODEL. Would like to know from the members what is the Grade for Brezza 2022 MODEL and is there something equivalent for Petrol engines from Mobil Delvac which can be used till 12 to 13K before going in for an oil change ?
Old 17th October 2022, 05:18   #6010
BHPian

For a Maruti car with K10B engine which runs less (around 3000Kms/year) in start stop traffic mainly for short trips of less than 20km each, does Castrol Magnatec Stop Start 5W-30 engine oil need to be changed every 12 months as it says in the user manual? Or can it be stretched for a longer duration?

Also, is Castrol Magnatec Stop Start 5W-30 engine oil fully synthetic?
Old 17th October 2022, 05:26   #6011
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumedik View Post
For a Maruti car with K10B engine which runs less (around 3000Kms/year) in start stop traffic mainly for short trips of less than 20km each, does Castrol Magnatec Stop Start 5W-30 engine oil need to be changed every 12 months as it says in the user manual? Or can it be stretched for a longer duration?

Also, is Castrol Magnatec Stop Start 5W-30 engine oil fully synthetic?
Even if you were to pour molten gold into the engine let alone expensive brands like amsoil you still have to change once a year. Magnatec has both part and full synthetic versions the can will say which it is. Either is ok for your usage.
Old 17th October 2022, 06:51   #6012
BHPian

Quote:
I think I was the first one on tbhp to use amsoil - and I don’t use it any longer especially not since buying a Scorpio and now an Endeavour that needs an almost 9 litre oil fill.
Dear Brother,

Which is the second best fully synthetic engine oil in the grade 0W-20 available in India after Amsoil. I'm currently driving the Honda BRV 1.5 MT Petrol.

Thanks and regards.
Old 17th October 2022, 08:17   #6013
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Pingua View Post
Dear Brother,

Which is the second best fully synthetic engine oil in the grade 0W-20 available in India after Amsoil. I'm currently driving the Honda BRV 1.5 MT Petrol.

Thanks and regards.
Which year's BRV? The older Honda engines were all on 5w40 and 1 year 10k km before Honda randomly changed the service interval to 6 months 5k km and 0w20. Maybe due to a new engine but if your BRV is from 2014-15 and all feel free to use eg Shell Helix Ultra 5w40.

0w20 what specific grade does Honda ask for? Check your manual, some API or ACEA spec will be there. Find what is available on amazon, and buy your choice from a reputable brand once you are sure it fits the spec you need (careful some sold in Amazon are US spec like Dexos2, roughly compatible but ..)
Old 17th October 2022, 08:56   #6014
BHPian

Quote:
Which year's BRV? The older Honda engines were all on 5w40 and 1 year 10k km before Honda randomly changed the service interval to 6 months 5k km and 0w20. Maybe due to a new engine but if your BRV is from 2014-15 and all feel free to use eg Shell Helix Ultra 5w40.

0w20 what specific grade does Honda ask for? Check your manual, some API or ACEA spec will be there. Find what is available on amazon, and buy your choice from a reputable brand once you are sure it fits the spec you need (careful some sold in Amazon are US spec like Dexos2, roughly compatible but ..)
Dear Brother,
Thanks for the reply,

Mine is a 2017 model Petrol BRV.

As per manual the recommended engine oil should be "API service SM or higher grade".

The service interval is 1 year or 10,000 kms.

Which specific brands do you suggest.

Regards.
Old 17th October 2022, 09:00   #6015
Senior - BHPian

Get any good 5w30 A5/B5 or later spec C2/C3 synthetic oil. Castrol Magnatec or Valvoline All Climate Advanced on the cheaper side. Castrol LL Edge 5w30 or Amsoil on the super costly side.

Shell HX8 5w30 is a relatively cheap but very high quality oil if you want synthetic, Shell Helix Taxi semi synthetic is excellent too for relatively lesser used cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Pingua View Post
Dear Brother,
Thanks for the reply,

Mine is a 2017 model Petrol BRV.

As per manual the recommended engine oil should be "API service SM or higher grade".

The service interval is 1 year or 10,000 kms.

Which specific brands do you suggest.

Regards.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks