Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2007, 17:50   #616
BHPian

Man, Kaushik_s I am scared just from reading your post. Wonder what I would have done if that had happened with me? Waiting for the experts' opinions.
Old 8th October 2007, 17:58   #617
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Ok guys, help me out, during my last service(20k service) I changed to Mobil 1, 5w50 oil.It's a Baleno. They told me that they'll do flushing and then only put the Mobil 1.The guys there normally do a good job(Smart Cars) but when I've checked after they've put the Engine oil it seems they've not flushed the engine with flushing agent(I was not charged for flushing agent). I asked them how they've done the flushing and they replied that they have run the old oil down and then pour some other oil and then ran that down too.But as far as I know that's not flushing.
So that means currently I'm running on Mobil 1 without flushing done.I'm, not feeling any problem with the engine till now and engine does feel smooth.Will there be any harm with the engine if I keep on running like this ?What should I do?
Carbible says "There is no scientific data to support the idea that mixing mineral and synthetic oils will damage your engine. When switching from a mineral oil to a synthetic, or vice versa, you will potentially leave a small amount of residual oil in the engine. That's perfectly okay because synthetic oil and mineral-based motor oil are, for the most part, compatible with each other. (The exception is pure synetics. Polyglycols don't mix with normal mineral oils.)" But my question, is Mobil 1 5W50 is a synthetic or pure synthetic oil ?
Please tell me guys that it'll be alright or I may be loosing sleep soon.

@kaushik_s - there should not be any problem.
Old 8th October 2007, 18:01   #618
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Blackpearl, and just checked the whole article again and here is what I found,
"Pure synthetic oils (polyalkyleneglycol) are the types used almost exclusively within the industrial sector in polyglycol gearbox oils for heavily loaded gearboxes."
So I guess I'm safe as of now.Phewwww,what a relief.
Old 8th October 2007, 18:07   #619
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Thanks Blackpearl, and just checked the whole article again and here is what I found,
"Pure synthetic oils (polyalkyleneglycol) are the types used almost exclusively within the industrial sector in polyglycol gearbox oils for heavily loaded gearboxes."
So I guess I'm safe as of now.Phewwww,what a relief.

even if you go through the FAQs in Mobil1's site you will see that engine flushing is not required.
Old 8th October 2007, 18:14   #620
BHPian

Really? I did not know that. I thought kaushik's engine is done for. Relieved. The Baleno engine is pretty nice.
Old 8th October 2007, 18:16   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
moralfibre
Guys, what is the recommended Synthetic oil for Swift Diesel?
After lots of discussion with Rtech, fianally decided to go for 5w50 Mobil1 Synthetic for Swift D.

Thanks alot Rtech

Do i need to flush the current oil, service at 10k.
Old 8th October 2007, 18:24   #622
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
After lots of discussion with Rtech, fianally decided to go for 5w50 Mobil1 Synthetic for Swift D.

Thanks alot Rtech

Do i need to flush the current oil, service at 10k.
isnt there separate oil for diesels and petrols?
Old 8th October 2007, 18:24   #623
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg View Post
Really? I did not know that. I thought kaushik's engine is done for. Relieved. The Baleno engine is pretty nice.
Synthetic Oils FAQs

here it is written -

Can different synthetic motor oils be mixed together? Mobil 1 is fully compatible with conventional motor oils, semi-synthetic motor oils and other synthetic motor oils, should it be necessary to mix them. However, it is important to note that the superior performance of Mobil 1 will be reduced by diluting it in any way.

I am not able to find where it was written that flushing is not required, should be able to find it unless they have removed it

it may be written here -

FAQs for Oil Products

Last edited by BlackPearl : 8th October 2007 at 18:29.
Old 8th October 2007, 23:20   #624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by munishsurendra View Post
Hi,
My 800 purchased in 2004 has run 13000 kms till now. I dont drive much, most probabally only during weekends and mostly inside city. My question is if I use the car so less, is it worth going for Synthetic OR not. I have not changed the oil for a year now, spoke to my mechanic, he checked and said the engine oil is fine for another 2.5K or 3K kms. Guys, please i need advice on

1) should i go for a oil change now as its a year ?
2) If yes , should i go for Synthetic or not ?
3) if NO to Q1) , then when should i change and change to Synthetic or Normal?

Thanx in advance.
Guys , I need a suggestion here, someone kindly suggest me on my query.
Old 9th October 2007, 01:27   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) should i go for a oil change now as its a year ?
I haven't googled or referred any website. But, most mechs I know suggest changing the oil once every 6 months if U want to keep the engine in peak condition.So, YES!
Quote:
2) If yes , should i go for Synthetic or not ?
My Ikon runs on semi-synthetic currently while my sumo runs on Castrol GTD(mineral).
The sumo's engine oil capacity is around 7 litres and doesn't make sense to feed her synthetic because:
1)Currently healthy,the engine's run 188,000 kms and Im not too keen about keeping it.
2)In a rare event of something happening,Sumo engines and engine spares cost peanuts.

Similarly, Maruti's 800 engine is very cheap and so are the engine spares.
The suzuki engine is very reliable too.
But, the engine oil capacity is tiny. So, the choice is urs.

So, if U want to indulge ur baby, spoil it with Fully synthetic 5W50 from Mobil1/OWS/Shell helix Ultra.Costs around Rs.750 per litre.
Cheaper option: 10W40 Castrol GTX Magnatec Semi-synth (or similar)costs around Rs.250 per litre
Old 9th October 2007, 11:40   #626
Senior - BHPian

@nitrous

Wont the 10W40 matter? i think for cars its is suggest to use 20w 50?
Old 9th October 2007, 14:06   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
@nitrous

Wont the 10W40 matter? i think for cars its is suggest to use 20w 50?
I have the same doubt..I have read that grade recommended by manufacturer for the car is very important. In my getz it is 20W 40. By gng for synthetic oil, i will be sticking to a higher summer grade.
Old 9th October 2007, 14:19   #628
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I have the same doubt..I have read that grade recommended by manufacturer for the car is very important. In my getz it is 20W 40. By gng for synthetic oil, i will be sticking to a higher summer grade.
if you see the manual they have a chart explaining the different grades. i dont think they specifically recommend 20w40
Old 9th October 2007, 18:43   #629
Team-BHP Support

For summers the upper number matters.
So 5W40, 10W40 etc., are same.
If you are in extremely hot conditions then 20W50 or 10W50 will be a better bet than *W40
Old 9th October 2007, 18:51   #630
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post

I am not able to find where it was written that flushing is not required, should be able to find it unless they have removed it

Myths

Here it is.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks