Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2008, 16:35   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
also for the mobil 1, they are quoting abot 900 per liter.
Thats a cool 120 bucks/liter extra money that they're making.
Old 9th January 2008, 19:26   #722
BHPian

thanks guys !
i called up the MASS guy and he told he has castrol synthetic oil. so will go with him only.
Old 11th January 2008, 10:33   #723
BHPian

synthetic oil is not worth the cost in normal climate conditions. its useful where there are extremes in weather temperature and in high performance engines like say in racing or rallying where the engine is running at its peak performance most of the time. i would rather use a good mineral oil and change it as recommended by the manufacturer than pay 5 times more.

unless the manufacturer recommends its not worth it. of course high performance and hi-tech machinery like beemrs, audis & mercs and the r1 bikes justify the expensive oils.
Old 16th January 2008, 18:00   #724
rippergeo

Below is a post that i had made on another thread on this forum querying synthetics for the getz crdi. thought I should post the same here.

I know that there is a school of thought on this forum that synthetic oil should be used only after 10,000km. I think the logic is that the increased lubrication hinders the breaking in of the engine.

not so sure about that, if the breaking in gets delayed- so what? it will take longer for the engine to settle down, but thats it. superior lubrication is superior lubrication, period.

synthetic oils are also said to get to various parts of the engine quicker than semisynthetic. there is also greater resistance to degradation of the oil.

bottom line- synthetic is better
my verna says so. am using castrol (semi synthetic)
my swift backs it up- mobil 1 fully synthetic

now, I have no numbers or concrete evidence to back me up. this is just going by how the cars feel after using the oil and how much smoke(or the lack of it)

Old 17th January 2008, 16:15   #725
BHPian

There are a range of synthetic oils even from Mobile 1. How to decide which one will be the best. like from this site Lubricants

They have recommended Mobile delvac for diesel engine, but I know some members who have put 5W-50 which in this site is recommended for petrol engines.
Old 17th January 2008, 18:12   #726
Senior - BHPian

That's right,austere.
Mobil1 5W50 just about manages to be a CRDI engine oil.
Old 23rd January 2008, 13:25   #727

Hi,

I have two cars. One M800 (2001-4 gear) with 65K on the ODO and a lancer Slxi (1997) with 93K on the ODO. I have never had the engine flushed. I have read that flushing an old engine which has never been flushed can lead to problems.

Seniors---Kindly advise whether I should go in for engine flushing.

P.S. Both cars run on CNG
Old 23rd January 2008, 14:54   #728
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Just got delivery of Petronas Syntium 3000 fully synthetic oil (5W40).
4 litres cost Rs.2600. Will be using this in my Lancer... will post a review after a while. Haven't heard much about Petronas (usually it's Mobil, Shell or Castrol!). Thanks to Jiggy for sourcing this for me.

how is this oil anyways ? what is the month and year at the back of the can ? bombay prices for the same are rs. 1900 for 4 liters let me know even i wanna try on my accent since my 60k oil change is due soon
Old 23rd January 2008, 14:55   #729
Senior - BHPian

Rakesh, draining the old engine oil when the engine's hot(normal running temperature,not overheating) is good enough. Flushing is not completely mandatory.
Go ahead and shift to synthetics.
Old 23rd January 2008, 15:57   #730

Thanks nitrous. The cars are not giving any problems anyway. Thanks again!!!
Old 11th February 2008, 02:29   #731
BHPian

Hey people,
Now, from what i understand, Flushing the engine just means adding engine flush to the oil already present in the engine.

But i do not know how to drain the engine oil before adding new oil...
Another question is which oil should i go for for my 98 Astra which has done over 1 lakh kms???
It recently got serviced and they say they have flushed the engine.
I will check and post tomorrow which flush or oil they used as the empty container is lying in the car.
Old 11th February 2008, 04:36   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Hey people,
Now, from what i understand, Flushing the engine just means adding engine flush to the oil already present in the engine.

But i do not know how to drain the engine oil before adding new oil...
Another question is which oil should i go for for my 98 Astra which has done over 1 lakh kms???
I will check and post tomorrow which flush or oil they used as the empty container is lying in the car.
Go for a 5W-40 or 5W-50 grade oil from Mobil, Castrol, Motul, Shell or Petronas and let the professionals change the oil for you if you dont know how to do it.
Old 11th February 2008, 10:49   #733
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Flushing is not recommended for engines that have such a high mileage! Didn't you go through the opening post?

Quote:
Please be advised that some older / high-mileage engines do not take well to engine flushing, so it is best to check with a competent mechanic before proceeding.
Old 11th February 2008, 14:56   #734
BHPian

Hey GTO,
I didnt know much about cars until i joined BHP and my car got serviced recently as 1 lakh kms are up. So i gave it for servicing for the schedule which is to be carried out at 1 lakh kms to National Garage which handles Opel & Chevrolet cars.
After servicing, when i checked the bill, Engine Flush has been written and charged for.
Will post the exact things done tomorrow after checking my bill.
Other than that, my car is working fine.

Hey Straight6,
Thanks for the advice and could you also tell me where to get these,their approx. cost and where can i get it changed???
Old 12th February 2008, 10:52   #735
BHPian

Hello,

Though I did not do much detail study before going in for a oil change for my Swift which has run around 22k kms which was due for a oil chnage. I have changed engine oil to Shell Helix 20W-50 . Pls let me know is it ok to run in for next 5k kms with this oil or should I change right away to any synthetic oil. Though it says oil to be used for older engines. Pls advice me should I retain this or as told go in for a change.

Shell Helix 20W-50

</IMG></IMG>

Thanks,
Raps

Most Viewed