Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2008, 11:23   #736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Hey Straight6,
Thanks for the advice and could you also tell me where to get these,their approx. cost and where can i get it changed???
You can get it at a lot of automobile spares shops or most oil dealers have them. Its should cost you around 3-4K for 4 litres. Get it filled by your mechanic.
Old 12th February 2008, 11:25   #737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raps View Post
Hello,

Though I did not do much detail study before going in for a oil change for my Swift which has run around 22k kms which was due for a oil chnage. I have changed engine oil to Shell Helix 20W-50 . Pls let me know is it ok to run in for next 5k kms with this oil or should I change right away to any synthetic oil. Though it says oil to be used for older engines. Pls advice me should I retain this or as told go in for a change.

Shell Helix 20W-50

</IMG></IMG>

Thanks,
Raps
Its ok to go for synthetic oil after you complete 10K. You have done more than that.
Old 12th February 2008, 12:59   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raps
Pls let me know is it ok to run in for next 5k kms with this oil or should I change right away to any synthetic oil.
API-SF on a swift! Change it asap,bro.
Anyways,what made you fill her up with this oil?
Old 13th February 2008, 03:59   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
API-SF on a swift! Change it asap,bro.
Anyways,what made you fill her up with this oil?

Be sure that the engine oil you use comes
under the quality classification of SE, SF,
SG, SH, SJ or SL. Select the appropriate
oil viscosity according to the above chart.
The recommended Engine Oil is SF 20 W

thats from the swift manual man , whats wrong with SF ? I use mobil 1 5w50 new API SM on my petrol swift soon [waiting for an oil filter ] -soon going to use OWS 5w50 API SL/CF .

EDIT :PS : Been on synthetic oil since 5500 KM

Last edited by cyneverdie : 13th February 2008 at 04:01.
Old 13th February 2008, 09:32   #740
BHPian

Hello Nitrous,

Its basically API-SG/CF mentioned on the cover, Though this specs is mentioned in user manual. Let me check for few runs.

Cheers,
Raps
Old 13th February 2008, 11:13   #741
Team-BHP Support

I seriously doubt any modern engine would take SF, the least requirement would be SG.
I recommend SL or SM, i.e. go above the minimum required.
Old 13th February 2008, 11:20   #742
Senior - BHPian

Since my Corolla is due for 20K service over the next 2-3 weeks, and having heard largely positive things about synthetic oil, I checked with Toyota service (Galaxy Delhi). They told me that Corolla does not need synthetic, plus it is not recommended. He gave me some mumbo jumbo which I could not understand fully. So, no synthetic for me and a saving of 2.5K on the service. Perhaps some other members have been using synthetic in their Corolla. I would appreciate their opinion, since I am still not fully convinced about using only mineral oil in Corolla.
Old 13th February 2008, 13:30   #743
Senior - BHPian

I see undue credit given to Synthetic over Mineral oil in this forum. I strongly believe that good mineral Oil is as good as a synthetic oil for a period of 5K or 10K kms. I do not see any reason to spend money on Synthetic oil. There is no evidence that synthetic oil is 4 times better than mineral oil. Hence synthetic oil doesn't warrant the additional price tag (4 times that of mineral oil) it comes with.
I would not call it a total waste of hard earned cash but in a way it is like drinking mineral water when a good quality filtered water from a reliable source is available.
Old 13th February 2008, 13:49   #744
Team-BHP Support

Mineral oil is as good as synthetic oil if your engine is operating normally. If you take your engines to extremes(frequent high revving), overheating etc., mineral oil loses its lubricity quickly, while synthetic oil holds its chemical composition at high temperatures.
you will see that all high revving engines use synthetic oil.
Of course in a normal running car like Zen etc., where you do the normal driving, and never let your car overheat, synthetic oil benefits will be minimal.
but then you can put synthetic oil in such a zen and keep without an oil change for 20K kms.

In my indica, I can see the oil getting bad around 7000kms(mineral oil), but if I use synthetic I can go upto 12K,
But since I change oil every 7K kms, I go for mineral(API-CI grade).

If I was frequently running with AC at high RPM I would have opted for synthetic

Last edited by tsk1979 : 13th February 2008 at 13:51.
Old 13th February 2008, 16:08   #745
BHPian

can anyone suggest the better one between mobil 1.petronas and the castrol edge...i have tried mobil 1 before and loved it...but heard from some people tht petronas is better.wht i tried earlier was a 0W-40.. but 5W-40 would be the ideal choice right??

Last edited by balenopower : 13th February 2008 at 16:19.
Old 13th February 2008, 16:42   #746
GTO
Team-BHP Support

IMHO, the only lubes that come close to Mobil 1 are the synthetics from Motul.
Old 13th February 2008, 19:10   #747
BANNED

Hi,

Have been using Mobil 1 on almost all my cars save the Santro where I used the Petronas 5W40. This time around I used the OWS Fully Synthetic Racing Oil in my B16A and must say that it is far better than the Mobil1 or Petronas.

I am not getting into technicalities or promoting any brand here. The engine feels way smoother and revs very cleanly.

Viper
Old 13th February 2008, 20:58   #748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Hi,

Have been using Mobil 1 on almost all my cars save the Santro where I used the Petronas 5W40. This time around I used the OWS Fully Synthetic Racing Oil in my B16A and must say that it is far better than the Mobil1 or Petronas.

I am not getting into technicalities or promoting any brand here. The engine feels way smoother and revs very cleanly.

Viper

for the benefit of members can you tell us the price of the ows racing oil
Old 13th February 2008, 22:10   #749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raps View Post
Hello,

Though I did not do much detail study before going in for a oil change for my Swift which has run around 22k kms which was due for a oil chnage. I have changed engine oil to Shell Helix 20W-50 . Pls let me know is it ok to run in for next 5k kms with this oil or should I change right away to any synthetic oil. Though it says oil to be used for older engines. Pls advice me should I retain this or as told go in for a change.

Shell Helix 20W-50

</IMG></IMG>

Thanks,
Raps
After running 1000 kms in my new getz I shifted to this oil as Shell Super (yellow can) was not available in Shell, Old Madras Road. I changed oil after another 600 kms when I came to know that its recommended mainly for older engines. The engine was taking more time to warm up in the morning. The recommended grade for Getz is 20W-40.

In your case I think it is fine as you have run 22k and thats the right grade for Swift.

In Shell, Old Madras Road, I also found Shell recommended oil for Swift (White Can).

Sam could get Shell Helix Ultra Engine Oil from Shell, Vittal Malya Road.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 13th February 2008 at 22:18.
Old 14th February 2008, 00:28   #750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith View Post
for the benefit of members can you tell us the price of the ows racing oil
IIRC, OWS racing oil is 5W60 grade and i remember him telling it costs Rs.4600 for 4 litres. Thats Rs.1150 per litre. Its apt for the 8300 rpm engine that he's got.
If you're revving your car to its redline often, then,this oil would provide excellent protection as it is designed for racing engines and we know at what rpms they hover.

@patiencewins:
Bro, I would like to share an experience of mine that you would find interesting.
About a month back,at the auto expo, I met this gentleman who's the Engine development head for Eicher. I spoke to him about the confusion the owner's manual created about oil change interval for our eicher truck. This engine R&D guy suggested me to use API-CH4 oil and not to follow their manual's specification which was API-CD (1970's grade).

20W40 and 20W50 mineral oil are the most basic (im being polite) to use in a nice fuel-injected,overhead cam,modern engine.
I wouldn't use it even if it was made by Chanel or Burberry.

Most Viewed