Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2008, 01:42   #766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
IIRC, OWS racing oil is 5W60 grade
No it's not. OWS does make a 5W 60 oil, but the one that Jignesh is using in his Honda city is a Hybrid Oil developed by OWS. There are two types. The first is for high revving NA engines and the other is for turbo charged applications.

This oil is fantastic (I have personally tested and used it extensviely). Like I mentioned it is a Hybrid oil. It provides the protection greater to than what a 5W60 oil will provide under extreme conditions, but at the same time is a very light oil by weight and provides fuel efficiency and free revving as exhibited an engine filled with by 0W20 (yes thats a Zero) oil.

You need to remember that as the oil beocmes thicker eg 5W60, protection also increases, but at the same time you need to also remeber that there is an additonal load on moving parts to circulate this oil around.

That is why most race / drag cars use lighter oils in order for the engines to rev more freely. However by doing so they compromise on protection.

This lead to the development of Hybrid oils.

It is expensive, but is worth every penny.

Last edited by Sideways : 20th February 2008 at 01:43.
Old 20th February 2008, 03:07   #767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post

@patiencewins:
Bro, I would like to share an experience of mine that you would find interesting.
About a month back,at the auto expo, I met this gentleman who's the Engine development head for Eicher. I spoke to him about the confusion the owner's manual created about oil change interval for our eicher truck. This engine R&D guy suggested me to use API-CH4 oil and not to follow their manual's specification which was API-CD (1970's grade).

20W40 and 20W50 mineral oil are the most basic (im being polite) to use in a nice fuel-injected,overhead cam,modern engine.
I wouldn't use it even if it was made by Chanel or Burberry.
Thanks for sharing the experience. But, I am confused with the options available.

My car has just run in 6500 kms in the last 8 months. My office is closer now. I do not go for long drives nowadays as my baby is not fit for it. I feel guilty to go for synthetic considering my usage and cost of synthetic. I am thinking about going for semi synthetic oil after 10k. What do you recommend? What would be the best choice for Hyundai Getz?
Old 20th February 2008, 09:27   #768
Senior - BHPian

The best choice the south side of synthetics is castrol magnatec.
Old 20th February 2008, 11:33   #769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
My car has just run in 6500 kms in the last 8 months. My office is closer now. I do not go for long drives nowadays as my baby is not fit for it.
Recall reading in this thread, that multiple cold starts, short distance trips - where mineral oil might take more time to get upto optimal temperature - are also situations where synthetics can help.
Old 20th February 2008, 13:07   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Recall reading in this thread, that multiple cold starts, short distance trips - where mineral oil might take more time to get upto optimal temperature - are also situations where synthetics can help.
Yes, I have read the same. Synthetics are also helpful when there is lot of bumper to bumper traffic.

In my case, the driving is total 18 kms, to office and back. I do not have multiple short trips. I change the timings to avoid peak traffic.
Old 20th February 2008, 23:30   #771
BHPian

severe service = synthetic oil
Old 21st February 2008, 07:47   #772
BHPian

Thanks to theMag, I finally managed to procure Mobil1 5W-50 SuperSyn for my getz . Costs Rs 780/L and Rs 200 for the ABRO Motor flush. I will have to enquire if Advaith Hyundai will do the job for me. I remember reading earlier that Hyundai service had refused to replace Engine oil with synthetics for someone.
Old 21st February 2008, 11:55   #773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by K a s h View Post
Thanks to theMag, I finally managed to procure Mobil1 5W-50 SuperSyn for my getz . Costs Rs 780/L and Rs 200 for the ABRO Motor flush. I will have to enquire if Advaith Hyundai will do the job for me. I remember reading earlier that Hyundai service had refused to replace Engine oil with synthetics for someone.
Hi Kash,
I checked with Trident and they did not have problem. But they requested me to take engine flush from there. They use OWS and that is good.

I got the feeling that they do not encourage synthetics/ outside oil as they wont be able to make money on engine oil. If they can sell engine flush, oil filter and charge for oil change good enough for them.

How many kilometers has your getz run?

Last edited by PatienceWins : 21st February 2008 at 11:57.
Old 21st February 2008, 12:33   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kash,
I checked with Trident and they did not have problem. But they requested me to take engine flush from there. They use OWS and that is good.

I got the feeling that they do not encourage synthetics/ outside oil as they wont be able to make money on engine oil. If they can sell engine flush, oil filter and charge for oil change good enough for them.

How many kilometers has your getz run?
Hi PatienceWins,
Its 15100 Kms now. Thanks for the tip, I will try Trident for the oil change.

A little off-topic...but may be you can help me here...
I made the first paid service at Advaith in December 07 when they had changed the Engine oil and replaced the filter. The color of the oil was golden yellow color then. But when I checked last week, it has become dark brown in color. Im not sure if this is normal since this is my first car. I'm the second owner, and the previous owner had done only the first three free services when i got it (it had only 12800 kms in the odo). Im not sure the oil was changed for all the free services by hyundai.

If it is not normal, Im a little worried that switching over to synthetic at this point may have some bad effects on the engine. Should i go for a normal mineral oil change now and then wait and see if the oil condition improves in my getz?
Pls suggest.
Old 21st February 2008, 15:56   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Hi PatienceWins,

I made the first paid service at Advaith in December 07 when they had changed the Engine oil and replaced the filter. The color of the oil was golden yellow color then. But when I checked last week, it has become dark brown in color. Im not sure if this is normal since this is my first car. I'm the second owner, and the previous owner had done only the first three free services when i got it (it had only 12800 kms in the odo). Im not sure the oil was changed for all the free services by hyundai.

If it is not normal, Im a little worried that switching over to synthetic at this point may have some bad effects on the engine. Should i go for a normal mineral oil change now and then wait and see if the oil condition improves in my getz?
Pls suggest.
Don't worry, it is normal. Engine oil changes colour due to the dirt and other impurities in the fuel, etc., that it picks up while circulating inside the engine. Colour usually changes in the first few hundred kilometers itself.

Last edited by hyper123 : 21st February 2008 at 15:57.
Old 21st February 2008, 16:34   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi PatienceWins,

Pls suggest.
Dont worry. Its normal. That means the oil is doing its job of collecting impurities in the engine.
Old 22nd February 2008, 03:47   #777
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kash,
!!!
damn hell yes its good.
good to hear.
Use OWS oil too , its good stuff
Old 27th February 2008, 14:49   #778
BANNED

Guys,

My accent has crossed the 20K mark, the last 4K kms were on CNG. service is due this weekend.

the hyundai people would decarbonize the engine.

should i go for synthetic engine oil? i have multiple short trips. my car runs about 2K kms per month

What synthetic oil would you suggest? and a trusted shop in NOIDA/Delhi
Old 27th February 2008, 15:13   #779
BHPian

Hi Sideways
Just wanted to know is OWS Hybrid oil good to use in OHC 1.5 EXI type 2 & what grade does it come in & the cost the same too

Thanks in anticipation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
No it's not. OWS does make a 5W 60 oil, but the one that Jignesh is using in his Honda city is a Hybrid Oil developed by OWS. There are two types. The first is for high revving NA engines and the other is for turbo charged applications.

This oil is fantastic (I have personally tested and used it extensviely). Like I mentioned it is a Hybrid oil. It provides the protection greater to than what a 5W60 oil will provide under extreme conditions, but at the same time is a very light oil by weight and provides fuel efficiency and free revving as exhibited an engine filled with by 0W20 (yes thats a Zero) oil.

You need to remember that as the oil beocmes thicker eg 5W60, protection also increases, but at the same time you need to also remeber that there is an additonal load on moving parts to circulate this oil around.

That is why most race / drag cars use lighter oils in order for the engines to rev more freely. However by doing so they compromise on protection.

This lead to the development of Hybrid oils.

It is expensive, but is worth every penny.
Old 27th February 2008, 15:43   #780
Senior - BHPian

Mobil1 5W50,OWS 5W50, Shell Helix Ultra 15W50, Castrol Edge 5W40 .
These are the fully synthetics available here.

@cancerm: OWS racing oil costs 4600 for 4 litres

Most Viewed