Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2008, 19:11   #901
BHPian

Thanks for the help/ advice both n_aditya and nitrous.
@ n_aditya
have already read GTOs' post, and now have started reading the rest of the pages

Just for information sec; got the car serviced from planet ford, 2 days back and they have charged Rs. 784.74/- for 4.1 liters of oil, Rs. 191.40/- per litre of magnetic oil. Is the pricing okay??
May be for the next service i will switch over to fully synthetic.

dhaval

Last edited by dhaval : 15th May 2008 at 19:13. Reason: some addition
Old 15th May 2008, 21:08   #902
Senior - BHPian

Magnatec costs around 220-250 per litre.
Amazing price, if what u've got is magnatec.
Old 15th May 2008, 23:35   #903

Hi,

Can someone tell me which oil is best for Fiat Palio Diesel? I took my car to a local mechanic and got it filled with Castrol 15w-40.Now the car seems to have a sluggish pickup.Also please let me know what essentially need to be changed after purchasing a second hand car..I am totally new to this four wheeler world, although i own Enfield Thunderbird.

Thanks
Old 16th May 2008, 00:48   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
. Even I was suggested 0Wxx by a popular tire dealer in chennai, since there was no other grade of Mobil1 being supplied. Opted for Shell instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Tanveer, I can't think of one oil company marketing 20W50 synthetic oil. Btw, The Mobil1 monkeys are distributing 0W40 to A.S.S' all over Madras.
Looks like the wanted to dump the stock somewhere.

Being the top Synthetic oil brand, they should distribute the oil right.

so 0Wxx is for cold places ... 10Wxx is for warmer places.

What does the W30 / W40 / W50 stand for?

Pardon my Ignorance and if it has been posted somewhere in the corner of the last 20 pages
Old 16th May 2008, 13:27   #905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
What does the W30 / W40 / W50 stand for?
Highest temperature till where the oil viscosity and characteristics remain the same.

For ex : 20w40 oil means the viscosity remains unchanged at 20 degrees centigrade and at 40 degree centigrade. Its the ambient temperature range at which the oil performs optimally.
Old 16th May 2008, 13:47   #906
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya
For ex : 20w40 oil means the viscosity remains unchanged at 20 degrees centigrade and at 40 degree centigrade. Its the ambient temperature range at which the oil performs optimally.
Incorrect information,aditya!
Go through this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...5w40-5w50.html
Old 16th May 2008, 14:20   #907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Incorrect information,aditya!
Go through this thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...5w40-5w50.html
Thanks Nitrous for clarifying. I always thought it was the ambient temperature range.
Old 16th May 2008, 14:35   #908
BHPian

Guys, how about HKS oil!! Anyone experienced it?

Shrey
Old 16th May 2008, 14:39   #909
BHPian

Guys,

Its time for servicing my Palio 1.6 GTX and would like to know which oil would be best suited for the beast. Till now it is running with the regular oil suggested in the manual
Old 16th May 2008, 14:42   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikn View Post
Guys,

Its time for servicing my Palio 1.6 GTX and would like to know which oil would be best suited for the beast. Till now it is running with the regular oil suggested in the manual
You can use 5W50 or 5W40 of brands like Mobil1, Shell Helix Ultra, OWS, Castrol EDGE, etc.
Engine flush is also recommended when u're shifting from regular to synthetic
Old 17th May 2008, 13:45   #911
BHPian

Folks,

Which oil type/brand would you say is the lowest viscosity oil in the market. I read somewhere the lower the viscosity, the higher the mileage you would get on your car.

Its something to do with less friction due to the lower viscosity which increases the effeciency of the engine and hence the mileage.
Old 18th May 2008, 01:33   #912
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar
Its something to do with less friction due to the lower viscosity which increases the effeciency of the engine and hence the mileage.
By your theory, Lower the viscosity,not only is the friction lower, but the lubrication is lower too!
So, would u like to lose an engine for the sake of fuel efficiency? Im sure not!
Old 20th May 2008, 13:56   #913
Team-BHP Support

Good Synthetic Oil

My service center uses Mobil Delvac Super 1300 15W40. It retails for around 200 bucks a litre and I change it every 5000 km.

How is this oil for my Swift VDI ? I change it at every 5000 kms.

Is there a better oil available at more or less a similar price that will serve my needs better, considering the extreme temperatures of Delhi and my monthly running of 2200 kms ?

EDIT: Please read the post title as "Good Mineral Oil". Don't plan to shift to synthetic.
Old 20th May 2008, 14:13   #914
BHPian

@nitrous
Are there any synthetic oils available for two wheelers??, especially for 4-stroke bikes?
i have a Pulsar(2002 model; non-dtsi) and i am keen on shifting from the regular oil to a synthetic one. Kindly suggest me a brand if any especially for two wheelers with the right viscosity. And also suggest me some flushing oils for the same.
P.S.: yesterday i had gone to Bhoomi Motors to collect my Fiesta's air filter, (given for cleaning) there i asked Mr. Gave the manger there, about synthetic oils for two wheelers. He said he is not aware of synth oils been available for two wheelers(4-stroke bikes), and that he did try putting synth oil in his Splendor and screwed up his clutch plates. Now thats a risky affair i say. Please advice.

dhaval
Old 20th May 2008, 15:44   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval View Post
@nitrous
Are there any synthetic oils available for two wheelers??, especially for 4-stroke bikes?
i have a Pulsar(2002 model; non-dtsi) and i am keen on shifting from the regular oil to a synthetic one. Kindly suggest me a brand if any especially for two wheelers with the right viscosity. And also suggest me some flushing oils for the same.
P.S.: yesterday i had gone to Bhoomi Motors to collect my Fiesta's air filter, (given for cleaning) there i asked Mr. Gave the manger there, about synthetic oils for two wheelers. He said he is not aware of synth oils been available for two wheelers(4-stroke bikes), and that he did try putting synth oil in his Splendor and screwed up his clutch plates. Now thats a risky affair i say. Please advice.

dhaval

HI Dhaval
You could go in for semi synthetic oil from Castrol for 2 wheelers its good enough & serves the purpose extremely well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks