Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2014, 08:52   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Turbocharging a Baleno for daily driving.

Yes. It's possible and it's super fun.

However an aftermarket turbo to run reliably (daily driver) you'll need to shell out a lot of money. Upgrading the internals, clutch, gearbox etc.

This will cost you at least four times the worth of your car now.

FE shouldn't be that much of a problem. May be ~20% decrease.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 08:59   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Yes. It's possible and it's super fun.

However an aftermarket turbo to run reliably (daily driver) you'll need to shell out a lot of money. Upgrading the internals, clutch, gearbox etc.

This will cost you at least four times the worth of your car now.

FE shouldn't be that much of a problem. May be ~20% decrease.
And it not road legal. You would also lose money when you wanna sell it.
Maintenance can be so-so unless you know someone who can help you when you need.

Some people are lucky to have contacts and they would be car-tech savy so they keep an eye on their car after the built. Can that be you?

If I remember right,RR used to convert Swift for 1.5-2lac 2 year back.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 09:02   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
I have a 2006 Baleno Vxi that has done 40258km on the odometer and the car's been bone stock. Not that it is boring or anything like that. But I was thinking what if I could build something like a turbo charged daily driver to light up what was a bone stock life for the old girl. Something that doesn't need a mainframe to keep things in order.
not sure what is your understanding of a mainframe, but mind you this machine is capable of running atleast 10K terminals connected to it with just under 128 MB of RAM. Yes only 128 MB!.

you would need atleast 4 GB RAM to power one laptop/desktop

Most efficient in terms of power cooling etc.....
shivshanker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 11:05   #94
BHPian

If you cant let the baleno go! keep it and hunt for a pre-owned T-jet which is going way cheap. Remap if you want more power.
Total peace of mind.
brraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 11:27   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
not sure what is your understanding of a mainframe, but mind you this machine is capable of running atleast 10K terminals connected to it with just under 128 MB of RAM. Yes only 128 MB!.

you would need atleast 4 GB RAM to power one laptop/desktop

Most efficient in terms of power cooling etc.....
@shivshanker I market System Z's for a living my friend No kidding I actually work for IBM What I was trying to communicate with that statement was that I wanted a turbo car which I could get in and get going on a shoe string budget and didn't need a life support system hooked on the car just to keep it running. Coz frankly I know the inner workings of these things to some extent, but when people start talking about engine maps and hooking on to the laptop and chipping and stuff like that I tend to get lost. No way I am going to shove a System Z inside my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
If you cant let the baleno go! keep it and hunt for a pre-owned T-jet which is going way cheap. Remap if you want more power.
Total peace of mind.
Thanks brraj. How do you re-map the thing. I am a complete noob in this. Could you help me with some more info about how you can remap a stock car please? Its better someone who knows telling me that me googling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
To take on a T-Jet or the old Octy vRS, all you would need is about a 25% increase in output.

As mentioned, 7-8 and 10-12 kmpl in the city and on the highway respectively, is what you can expect however there also lies the potential to extract 4 kmpl based on how much fun you have.

Turboing your ride is easily possible but will require a good amount of money if you want to do a dependable and proper job. From the questions you seem to be asking, I would suggest you spend a little more time learning about all this before you leap into it.
Totally agree with you IshaanIan. I recently had a chance to drive a Skoda Octavia 1.8 Turbo. Ever since that day, there is only one question ringing in my head. But as you rightly said, I don't want to end up with a fried engine either.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th November 2014 at 23:48. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
ron_9191 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 11:51   #96
BHPian

Quote:
How do you re-map the thing.
Take your T-Jet/Skoda Octavia 1.8 Turbo (which ever you decide) to TOT.
Their website http://tune-o-tronics.com/

Ask them to remap the car mentioning your requirements.
They are reliable and its around 1/2hr job i guess.
Old 28th November 2014, 13:10   #97
Senior - BHPian

A little old school suggestion, but it would be an N.A. engine for me as it would be more reliable due to the lesser complexities involved in comparison to a Turbo upgrade. Do consider a stage 1 modification for your Baleno i.e. intake, exhaust, throttle body enlargement, head porting/polishing, a brake upgrade and may be even a street cam. I had carried out the first 3 options in my Zen some years ago (after the car crossed 35k kms) and she rewarded me every time I floored the throttle. I used it as a daily drive and its fuel efficiency was pretty much the same that I got when it was stock unless driven hard.

Another option would be to buy a pre-owned T-jet/ Octavia 1.8 TPi and enjoy the car in its stock form.

Last edited by S2!!! : 28th November 2014 at 13:15.
Old 28th November 2014, 13:55   #98
BHPian

Turbo charging an existing NA car will not be reliable for a daily drive. The cost involved for turbo charging alone can come up to close to 2 L and that depends on the tuner. To handle the power you would require to upgrade your existing brake rotors/pads, suspension to keep moving. At the end of the day its not worth the extra effort and money will go into the drain.
The second option is try to get a used T Jet which has a stock 120 Hp and with a remap you could extract close to 150Hp and you have the reliability of a newer car plus a safer car to handle the power and speed. Ive not personally tested a remapped T jet but have friends who have done a remap and are quite impressed with it.
Nimish anthony is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 14:10   #99
BHPian

I feel like laughing at some of the posts here! Ignorance is not a bliss my friends! I know of people who are using there turbo charged Baleno for over 4 years, without a single failiure of any sorts till date!

Heck, my friend has a turbo 800 which he built 3yrs back and uses it as his daily driver in Bangalore. This same friend has a turbo Baleno which he uses to travel with his family for long drives when he is visiting his home town.

The tuning scene has moved ahead, gone are the days when turbo builds were not reliable. There are people who have quietly done it and the builds have been running reliably for years now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Take your T-Jet/Skoda Octavia 1.8 Turbo (which ever you decide) to TOT.
Their website http://tune-o-tronics.com/

Ask them to remap the car mentioning your requirements.
They are reliable and its around 1/2hr job i guess.
Unless the internals have been upgraded in some form, remapping a NA car is practically useless!

Last edited by Aditya : 28th November 2014 at 22:57. Reason: Merging back to back posts
ssjr0498 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 14:31   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Do consider a stage 1 modification for your Baleno i.e. intake, exhaust, throttle body enlargement, head porting/polishing, a brake upgrade and may be even a street cam.
I am curious if someone here as done a brake upgrade on their Baleno and what their experience has been vis-a-vis stock brakes. We have a 2006 Vxi too in the house. Recently changed brake pads at a MASS stealership. But whenever I drive it, I worry about the times I may have to hit the brakes hard. Few times emergency braking has caused wheels to lock and car to skid. Once it was really bad on Pune-Bangalore highway and we missed hitting a truck by a whisker. Even with new MASS fitted brakes, it doesnt inspire the confidence it should.
Old 28th November 2014, 15:05   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Unless the internals have been upgraded in some form, remapping a NA car is practically useless!
If you read the post properly, it is clear that brraj was talking about remapping the Octavia vRS or the Linea T-Jet and as far as I know, those are both turbo-charged rides with massive gains to be reaped from a remap
Old 28th November 2014, 15:14   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
My friend, Who told you T-Jet/Skoda Octavia 1.8 are NA cars? Both are turbo petrol's.
All turbo charged engines are forged so internals will be strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratika View Post
Few times emergency braking has caused wheels to lock and car to skid. Once it was really bad on Pune-Bangalore highway and we missed hitting a truck by a whisker.
Main reason why i buy cars which has basic ABS feature.

Last edited by brraj : 28th November 2014 at 15:17.
Old 28th November 2014, 16:30   #103
BHPian

Quote:
@shivshanker I market System Z's for a living my friend No kidding I actually work for IBM What I was trying to communicate with that statement was that I wanted a turbo car which I could get in and get going on a shoe string budget and didn't need a life support system hooked on the car just to keep it running. Coz frankly I know the inner workings of these things to some extent, but when people start talking about engine maps and hooking on to the laptop and chipping and stuff like that I tend to get lost. No way I am going to shove a System Z inside my car
small world.. sold them for over 9 years of my life.. my short Id is shenoy.sr look me up on ST
Old 28th November 2014, 19:53   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks brraj. How do you re-map the thing. I am a complete noob in this. Could you help me with some more info about how you can remap a stock car please? Its better someone who knows telling me that me googling it.
i think it is better to close this thread and you can spend lot of time reading and understanding before taking plunge. Unless you do it right, you are in lot of trouble no matter which tuner or installer you take it to. Else buy a stock Vrs or Tjet and be happy. Remapping to some extent is fine. Else again you are asking for trouble. Read and read and read. Those who have done successfully (atleast to some extent) have done lot of research. It is no joke. Tons of information available. There are decent books you can start reading to understand in disciplined way.
Old 29th November 2014, 15:57   #105
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 2006 Baleno Vxi that has done 40258km on the odometer and the car's been bone stock. Not that it is boring or anything like that. But I was thinking what if I could build something like a turbo charged daily driver to light up what was a bone stock life for the old girl. Something that doesn't need a mainframe to keep things in order.

Here are my requirements or I think they are.

1. The car has around 91BHP I guess I am not sure but this surely needs to go up to atleast 150 BHP. I am not aiming anything beyond 180 bhp.

2. My intention is purely an increase in torque and mid and top end power delivery. To put it fair and square something similar to what you used to get from a Skoda Octavia RS or a Fiat Linea T-Jet.

Will this kind of a mod break my bank of of course the "kitna deti hai?" question applies. Welcoming all your suggestions.
Hi,
Having a 1.6 turbo swift, I can tell you a few things first off:
1. Its not cheap, if you want a break up of costs, when I had collected prices, the cheapest was 1.75 lakh without forged internals, cams, gear box mods or any other engine mods(this estimate is from 2010).
2. 180 BHP will need some very serious mods and equipment which will push up the costs even more from point 1.
3. There is a very good thread by @binz that you should search for for all info
4. Go with the best tuners: FRK (mine was done there). or RRP and RD (if they oblige you: since they do this more as a hobby than a professional thing now as they told me)
5. Kitna deti hai: Well I can run mine on the stock ecu for 10kmpl in bengaluru city full traffic jammed roads and on recent airport runs I got 16kmpl.
6. Smile factor: Every time you punch it.
7. Reliability: From FRK, no problems at all; its a zero maintenance thing for me.
8. IMP: Please do read the large number of threads relating to the topic and then decide on whether you should go for it
9. Make sure you have a spare car. I did it with my only car and had to deal with a lot of music and dirty looks at home from you know who.

If you do decide to go ahead I can accompany you to tuners to check out stuff
amarpreet99 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks