Team-BHP - ARTICLE: Points to consider before TURBO-Charging your car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On modifying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: Points to consider before TURBO-Charging your car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifying-car/18157-article-points-consider-before-turbo-charging-your-car.html)

So, you want to turbo-charge your car and you dream of sub-seven second dashes to 100km/h. There are many hatchbacks and sedans in India that have had successful after-market turbo jobs, but each one of them required a huge investment in time and money. Adding a turbo-charger to your car is a serious modification and lack of knowledge, expertise and appropriate parts can lead to disaster. This compilation covers some things to look for before you buy a turbo and the simple ways to check a turbo install job.

Before you choose a turbo make sure the following is checked:

- That the ECU has the ability to handle turbo-boosting;
- That the injector has enough size to supply extra fuel;
- That you use fuel of the proper quality, pressure and volume;
- That knock sensing apparatus is equipped;
- That there is available space in the engine compartment; and
- Whether the compression ratio has been brought down to at least 8.5.

How to choose the right turbo:

- Pick one that is designed for the engine capacity of your car. The chart below can be used as a rough guide;
- Make sure that the exhaust side (or turbine trim) is designed for your engine capacity and that the intake side (or compressor trim) is larger;
- High-quality turbos have ball bearings and water-cooling while lesser ones use roller bearings and have no water cooling;
- Does the turbo have an external/internal waste gate and at what boost does it open?

Here is a chart to help you choose your turbo trim, assuming you know how to calculate your engine’s CID:

Engine Displacement Compressor Trim Turbine Trim Turbine Hsg
60-100 CID T3-50 Trim T3 Standard .36/.48
100-150 CID T3-Super 60 T3 Standard .48/.63
150-200 CID T3-Super 60 T3 Standard .63/.82
200-250 CID T4-S3 Trim T4 "O" Trim .58/.69
250-300 CID T4-V1 Trim T4 "P" Trim .69/.81
300-350 CID T4-V1 Trim T4 "P" Trim .81/.96
350-400 CID T4-H3 Trim T4 "P" Trim .96/1.30
400-450 CID T4-H3 Trim T4 "P" Trim 1.30
(Source: Toysport)

Additional parts you will need:

- An intercooler, as the intake temperatures will be above 40°C;
- A radiator able to handle higher engine temperatures;
- Exhaust pipes the size of the exhaust port on the turbine;
- A BOV if you do not want to stress the turbo;
- A rising rate fuel pressure regulator to linearly increase fuel pressure, though this may not be required if you have a good fuel pump and an aftermarket ECU;
- Forged internals are required for anything above 6 PSI, though some stock internals can handle higher boost – check with your tuner;
- Ported and polished heads for increased power; and
- A milder cam to reduce valve overlap.

How to check your install:

- The easiest way to check is by applying the throttle while in second gear and letting the engine reach 60% of the rev range. If your ECU's warning lamp does not come on, you are ready to go;
- There should be no smoke from the exhaust;
- Make sure your water temperature needle is at its usual position and does not climb rapidly;
- There should be no sudden sucking noises from the turbo. This noise means you are running a small turbo;
- Lift you foot from the accelerator and check to make sure your BOV engages; and
- Learn how to slip your clutch. It is almost mandatory for driving turbo cars.

Things that will harm your turbo:

- Contaminated or dirty oil;
- Lack of lubrication;
- Low oil pressure;
- Blocked air filters;
- Collapsing plumbing;
- Undersized plumbing;
- Prolonged engine idling;
- Over-fueling the engine;
- Hot engine shut-down;
- Improperly installed gaskets; and
- Nuts & washers dropped into the exhaust system.
- Higher-rated spark plugs (for the engine).

Things to keep your turbo running smoothly:

- Replace engine oil frequently;
- Keep the air filter clean and unrestricted;
- Check that the plumbing from the air filter is free of holes;
- Check that plumbing connections are tight to prevent leaks;
- Warm up the engine for two to five minutes prior to driving; and
- Let the engine idle for approximately 2 minutes prior to shut down;

Recommended Read:

Related Threads

Brilliant! And an eye-opener. Thank you Psycho for sharing this information with us.

Thanks psycho , that was good writeup .will meet you some time .
Also how much would a decent turbo cost with labour ?

Mindblowing psycho.......... You happen to be one expert on this subject....... I still have many non technical queries regarding turbochargers....

1. If operations of turbochargers that simple why is it not so frequently observed in petrol cars.

2. Atleast as per logic it seems turbocharged engines should be fuel efficient. Is it true??

Cheers

Great writeup Psycho. I bet a lot of people are wishing you had posted this sooner!

Hey Keshav,

Your the best man. Excellent article.

Viper

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery
1. If operations of turbochargers that simple why is it not so frequently observed in petrol cars.

Who said it's simple?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sumitdongerkery
2. Atleast as per logic it seems turbocharged engines should be fuel efficient. Is it true??

Yes, quite possibly. I have heard of well-driven 200bhp Skodas giving 21 kmpl.

Could anyone please tell me what the boost pressure (in psi) is of turbos installed in various Indian vehicles, especially the one in the Indigo. Also, is there a possibility of increasing the boost pressure slightly in Indigo TDi in order to have a slight increase in power/pick-up. If so, then can it be done without having any adverse impact on the functioning, reliability and durability of any related mechanical component or system.

Excellent article.

its a great help for all the bhpians

phsycoji i think you must add beefed-up clutch and strengthend drive shafts and in some cases revised gearbox 'system',fpr and also BRAKES,

i think you remember the black and red job we did in our place in jaynagar and the also please add the various hurdles which comes in the way during installation which will go a long way to people intrested in getting different cars to turbocharge,

cause i think i should remaind you about a certain baleno job done by a famous tuner down south(not bangalore)who also does swifts are coming down with transmisson and various bearing problems,i think you should post a comprahensive installation and troubleshooting column here now that you have started....and especially suspension you should start a new one for that.

i think you know me by now....

Awwwwesome!!
Explains almost every aspect and kept very simple to understand.
Well done Psycho.

Regarding the idling of 2mins before shutting the engine, is it necessary for every Turbo equipped car?
And 5mins of idling before driving? Is this supposed to be done everytime or only on a coldstart?

Ahhh, Turbocharging for Dummies causes a lot of stupid questions, right?
Ignorance = Bliss!!

Thanks all, its good that you all liked the compilation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr fate
phsycoji i think you must add beefed-up clutch and strengthend drive shafts and in some cases revised gearbox 'system',fpr and also BRAKES,

That goes without saying. I have tried to keep the compilation only for the turbo install review and maintenance by the car owner and have not touched any of the tuner faced problems on this list as it would never be understood by everybody.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr fate
i think you know me by now....

I still am waiting for a drive in the black car and the one under wraps for quite some time now, and am even more interested in the new blower you got. When are you letting me in on it??? ;)

no boss have mellowed down now,i am selling the skyline(the one you saw in my place)took up the boost,wanted to do a few more things but seriously no time,i come there once in 2-3 days even then i have too meet either them tata guys then iam gone...

there is a engine i have got type-r,now thats what you want too see and the turbo....better get 2 more set of eyes...its got a dyno reading as well..you better see it.

remember that twin-turbo i had?what advise do you have on that and which indian engine do you think can take tha(after beefing the internals)?and the other cars iam keepin one more hot new muscle classic is coming shortly..

as always you are welcome to drop by anytime...

had copy pasted a similar article from www.hondaforums.com a few months back, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...your-ride.html

maybe the mods could merge it.

manson.

Thanks Manson. With Psychos permission, I have added the Honda Forums article as the second recommended read.