Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2015, 20:18   #301
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Totally agree with you Morph!, as I have experienced in Bangalore none of these tuners except RD and RRP have their own team and garage. They just have tie up with some nearby mechanic.
I would highly recommend Code6. As few others mentioned they have a full fledged garage at Bangalore and their partner will visit you at your place to do the remap if you reside elsewhere. I am from Kochi and had a very satisfying experience remapping my Duster 85 recently.
Old 18th June 2015, 22:09   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Petrol engine, 1.2 iDTEC
If it's petrol, it has to be i-VTEC, naturally aspirated. If it's diesel, it has to be iDTEC, turbocharged.

Now that we've made things clear, your Amaze is a petrol i-VTEC. NA. There's hardly anything you can gain with a remap. You get a load of information on performance improvement in NA petrols, from various forums. There are also very many people who went after the elusive bump in performance but burnt their hands and wallets.

Quote:
I already fill Shell extra premium whenever I can find it and that helps to some extent.
That helps keep your engine clean, and since Shell delivers quantity and quality, you will find improvements in FE and engine NVH.
silversteed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 13:21   #303
BHPian

My Indica V2 DLS (2001) has undergone free-flow exhaust modification. This has resulted in:

1. Better pulling power. The change is very noticeable.
2. Engine feels less stress-out when AC is ON.
3. There is negligible difference in the fuel efficiency (Tankful method).
4. Felt no difference in exhaust note.
5. No additional vibrations felt in the car.

I would recommend Indica owners to opt for free-flow exhaust modification. In my opinion, it is a worthy step to take.
Old 19th June 2015, 15:00   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph View Post
ANYONE - including you can remap a car. All you need is a new map, an OBD2 cable and a laptop...
I agree to this. But, a tuner (not the TOONer kind that we come across frequently) would be able to edit the maps without compromising the reliability of the system.

Quote:
Some posters here have claimed differences with remaps or exhausts or CAIs but no hard and fast confirmation has been posted - no dyno graphs, no ABA testing, no measurement of reduced intake temps - nothing.

Nothing at all. So sorry it is nothing except supposition
There are perceptible differences that are not placebo, which you can make out without a Dyno. Smooth power delivery, in-gear acceleration, top speed are some of these. V-box runs would give a lot more useful info than a dynograph which IMO is a controlled environment measurement. You would also get a good chunk of data from the OBD-II port if you know what to look for.

Getting a car dyno'ed in India is expensive. I'd rather have that money invested in a decat + straight pipe plus a proper retune, instead of going for a few dyno tests to brag about the gains achieved with just a remap. Of course, on the condition that the tuner is a reliable, knowledgeable one.
Old 19th June 2015, 16:13   #305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
There are perceptible differences that are not placebo, which you can make out without a Dyno. Smooth power delivery, in-gear acceleration, top speed are some of these. V-box runs would give a lot more useful info than a dynograph which IMO is a controlled environment measurement. You would also get a good chunk of data from the OBD-II port if you know what to look for.

Getting a car dyno'ed in India is expensive. I'd rather have that money invested in a decat + straight pipe plus a proper retune, instead of going for a few dyno tests to brag about the gains achieved with just a remap. Of course, on the condition that the tuner is a reliable, knowledgeable one.
Why do you need a Dyno or perception.
You can time your car in 3rd gear 40-90kmph with and without remap.
Just floor throttle at 40kmph.

If there is an improvement, it will show up in timing.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 01:47   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
...There are perceptible differences that are not placebo, which you can make out without a Dyno...
We have to seperate the objective vs the subjective. Subjective differences are what you might be experiencing in your car. But are they real or because you want to have more power, or because of extra noise and drama.

An example - Lotus cars in the UK made a device which put out sporty car noises to the driver. They then tested the device both on and off, and the "on" drivers felt their car had been tuned and was faster, in reality both were the same 1.0 untuned hatchback.

I've done it myself, the louder exhaust, the CAI, the intake. But beyond the noise and drama is it real ?

An objective perspective requires evidence, e.g. a dyno. or....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why do you need a Dyno or perception.
This is a decent test but you need to time it, and video it for proof. Do it 3 times before and 3 times after any mods and then repeat the before for confirmation - A-B-A testing.

Ultimately though if you (I mean anyone here, not at a person specifically) feel yoru car is better then enjoy it, no problem. Just don't claim some kind of wonder transformation because that is nonsense.
Old 20th June 2015, 01:48   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeprevving View Post
My Indica V2 DLS (2001) has undergone free-flow exhaust modification. This has resulted in:

1. Better pulling power. The change is very noticeable.
2. Engine feels less stress-out when AC is ON.
3. There is negligible difference in the fuel efficiency (Tankful method).
4. Felt no difference in exhaust note.
5. No additional vibrations felt in the car.

I would recommend Indica owners to opt for free-flow exhaust modification. In my opinion, it is a worthy step to take.
Perfect "proof-free" post, all subjective opinion by the person who has paid for this mod.
Old 20th June 2015, 21:15   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Perfect "proof-free" post, all subjective opinion by the person who has paid for this mod.
All I have to say is, prior to the modification, with AC ON my car struggled a lot-while overtaking, and in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Older Indica's and Indigo's had this problem. The AC compressor extracted more power than the ones used in the current generation. I came to know about this from the only Subros and BEHR Authorized Dealer/Distributor in Odisha.

Nevertheless, the modification did bring a lot of change. I no more had to switch off the AC during a quick overtake, approaching speed-breakers, etc. So, the free-flow exhaust did help me a lot.
keeprevving is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2015, 00:34   #309
BHPian

@Keeprevving - not "having a go" at you - but I think you get the point I'm making.

If your car feels better then brilliant for you. It isn't something someone else could use to decide what to spend their own money on.
Old 21st June 2015, 10:46   #310
BHPian

Quote:
@Keeprevving - not "having a go" at you - but I think you get the point I'm making.

If your car feels better then brilliant for you. It isn't something someone else could use to decide what to spend their own money on.
Na...Even I am not taking it that way bro. So, chill! The thing is my 14year old Indica struggled to pull well with AC. The other car I have is a Ivtec. So you can make out how big is the difference in driving dynamics. A Indica driver craves for more power, a 14 year old Indica craves for power even more. Any modifications that brings in better driveability - be it FFE, or installing a New alternator is a welcome change.

Also, recently, got the AC Actuator device installed, as the engine RPM refused to increase when the AC was ON. Older Indicas didnt come with the actuator. Got the one made from Padmini-OEM. This has bumped up the driveability a notch better. I'm not complaining.
Old 21st June 2015, 21:40   #311
BHPian

Cheers mate. Enjoy!

Morph
Old 27th October 2015, 13:55   #312
BHPian

Hi everyone. Went through this awesome thread. I own a Ford Fiesta '11 (Engine TDCi 1.5L - 89 bhp). I want to upgrade the performance of my car but am a little hesitant if it will do more harm than good. I have come across these mods that I want to install - K&N air filter (1.4L available for Rs 5200 on Amazon), FFE (Automech?), Pete's box and may be an IC. Please tell me which one will increase the performance considerably, cost, place (near Delhi) and disadvantages, if any. Are there any more mods for my car?
Old 28th October 2015, 07:22   #313
BANNED

@Arsi; The biggest boost in power will come from the Pete's box or equivalent. There should be no problem in finding an agency to do the fix in the NCR. As for costs there are enough threads available. K&N and FFE will only give marginal improvements, say 2-5% each.
sgiitk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 09:56   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsi View Post
Hi everyone. Went through this awesome thread. I own a Ford Fiesta '11 (Engine TDCi 1.5L - 89 bhp). I want to upgrade the performance of my car but am a little hesitant if it will do more harm than good. I have come across these mods that I want to install - K&N air filter (1.4L available for Rs 5200 on Amazon), FFE (Automech?), Pete's box and may be an IC. Please tell me which one will increase the performance considerably, cost, place (near Delhi) and disadvantages, if any. Are there any more mods for my car?
FFE in a diesel is a waste of money AFAIK. Instead add a downpipe, engine will rev freely at the cost of slightly pronounced turbo lag.

Off all three, I would save money and get a remap ( not a piggy back unit ). If you really plan to go with a piggy back unit, get a dual channel one. But, I doubt it will work with a FGT.
linuxmanju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 11:26   #315
BHPian

@linuxmanju What is the difference in the cost of downpipe and FFE? Apart from the performance, I am also looking for the mean exhaust grunt
Does a downpipe produce nice grunt?

Also, Pete's box is costing me 43.5k. The best thing about it is that it is plug and play and thus, reversible. For how much can the remapping be done?

I think the easiest of all the installs is the K&N air filter. I will go for it ASAP.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks