Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2015, 19:38   #316
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsi View Post
@linuxmanju What is the difference in the cost of downpipe and FFE? Apart from the performance, I am also looking for the mean exhaust grunt
Arsi, K&N improves the pulling to 2-4%. Tuning kit will improve the performance by 10-15%.

Last edited by ampere : 27th January 2018 at 23:54. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
Old 29th October 2015, 19:46   #317
BHPian

True that, Dine. I will go for remapping as soon as I find someone experienced. Besides, I have heard that performance filters such as K&N allow the entry of dirt particles in the engines. Have you faced any such problems?
Old 2nd November 2015, 09:01   #318
BHPian

Quote:
@linuxmanju What is the difference in the cost of downpipe and FFE? Apart from the performance, I am also looking for the mean exhaust grunt
Does a downpipe produce nice grunt?
Down piping should not cost you a bomb.

Quote:
Also, Pete's box is costing me 43.5k. The best thing about it is that it is plug and play and thus, reversible. For how much can the remapping be done?
43.5K ??. A remap should cost you less than that if you negotiate better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dine View Post
Arsi, K&N improves the pulling to 2-4%. Tuning kit will improve the performance by 10-15%.
I would take 2-4% performance improvement with a pinch of salt. I have driven my earlier Ford Figo as well as Punto with K&N.
Old 3rd November 2015, 02:39   #319
BHPian

K&N and FFE for a TD is a total waste of money unless you like a noisier and less refined car with no extra power but extra "feels like more power" - i.e. more noise.

Being honest the gains in a petrol car are not much better but anyway...

Remap is the way to go, tuning box as a second choice.

Otherwise drive economically, save up, and use the saved money to buy a faster TD or a remap / box.
Old 3rd November 2015, 02:43   #320
BHPian

Quote:
True that, Dine. I will go for remapping as soon as I find someone experienced. Besides, I have heard that performance filters such as K&N allow the entry of dirt particles in the engines. Have you faced any such problems?
K&N replacement filters should be OEM spec so no more dirt than the originals (in fact probably less) - K&N supply a sticker here (UK) to put on your engine to remind the dealer that the warranty still holds.

The only real advantage in a K&N is not buying a paper filter so often, but as they are very cheap and made of recycled materials why bother ?

Also there will be no gain on a TD.
Old 3rd November 2015, 02:44   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dine View Post
Its a claim. Unproved, but a claim.
Old 6th July 2016, 19:49   #322
BHPian

Would go with a remap. Seems to work better on ford Figo ...diesel
Old 27th January 2018, 23:23   #323
BHPian

Hello,

I drive a tuned S-Cross 1.6 DDiS and have been looking for an air filter upgrade, for a while now. After-market replacement filter for the S-Cross isn't available at the moment, from any brands. Else, I would have stuck to the replacement filter only. Both the 1.6 and the 1.3 S-Cross air filters are of the same fit. And yet, nothing

CAI is the only option left. I've seen a few people using CAI on a diesel, along with a decent tune. Would a CAI show any difference in performance or should I just stick to the stock filter?

Thank you.
Old 27th January 2018, 23:53   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by grease.monkey View Post
I drive a tuned S-Cross 1.6 DDiS and have been looking for an air filter upgrade, for a while now. After-market replacement filter for the S-Cross isn't available at the moment, from any brands. Else, I would have stuck to the replacement filter only. Both the 1.6 and the 1.3 S-Cross air filters are of the same fit. And yet, nothing
If the tuning is done well you should be good to go.

I've used BMC in the past but if you ask me, a wet air filter like K&N or BMC aren't both worth it or safe for vehicles driven in Indian conditions. Dust and heavy particulates will first pass through the wider perforations in both BMC and K&N filters easier and enter the engine causing undue wear and tear and then they eventually clog the filter giving you less airflow than the regular cheap paper filter provided by Maruti Suzuki. Then of course is the maintenance, under Indian conditions that is, it's both too frequent and expensive.

Proof is in the pudding. Visit your local trusted Suzuki ASC and you can check the reading of your airflow sensor using the paper filter. If it gets dirty, change it more frequently. It's dirt cheap, biodegradable and requires no servicing, cleaning, lubricating, getting your hands dirty and you get peak performance from your baby, especially when if you feel it's not getting enough air you can rip out the old filter and put in a new one.

Think about it, you can change your cheap paper filter how many times for the same cash you spend on a BMC or K&N?

Oh yeah and the best part is, real world usage, you MAY get 2% more power (under the best possible conditions) while reducing the life of your engine by letting crap into it.

Lastly, Cold Air Intakes are more show than blow. The idea is simple. Cold air is denser therefore you get that tiny extra bit of air to burn in the engine. Your car does already come with a turbo charger I believe so you're getting all that extra air to burn in there. A CAI just may give you like a point of a percentage more air and in real world usage you won't see a slight bit of difference beyond a placebo effect and of course you'd have something to show off to your friends with.

The best things you can do to get more oomph from your engine start with a good tuning or aftermarket tuning box. Something customised to your driving style or that which tunes itself on the fly based on your needs at the time is best. I'm using a Spider Tuning Box and it scratches my itch more than well enough and there's no risk of damage to my engine or black smoke.

The second thing often overlooked is tires. They're the single most effective upgrade you can do to improve your track time. Better power transfer and braking makes a hell of a lot of difference.

Thirdly if you want more from a Diesel, consider an aftermarket turbo upgrade. You'll have to check what kind of pressure your engine can handle and test it out. The upgrade can cost lakhs and you may want to upgrade your pistons, gasket, hoses and other relevant parts.

Beyond that and you're getting low bang for buck and just squeezing an almost unnoticeable amount of power out of a stone.

Hope that's helpful and if you need more inputs, feel free to ping me.

Cheers, The Sleeper.

Last edited by ampere : 27th January 2018 at 23:55. Reason: Trimmed quoted post
TheSleeper is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2018, 00:06   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSleeper View Post
If the tuning is done well you should be good to go.
Thank you so much for your inputs.

I think, I'll stick to the stock air intake setup

Mod Note: Please avoid quoting the entire post when responding.

Last edited by ampere : 28th January 2018 at 00:11. Reason: trimmed quoted post
Old 11th April 2018, 15:53   #326
BHPian

Hey guys,

So today I replaced the air filter in my Innova 2012 2.5 GX, the filter was extremely dirty.
Come time to pay, the filter costs 1652 Rupees, I am now wondering, I could easily get the K&N E-2296 drop in filter for 7.5K, and may never have to change the filter again (will clean as and when required), I'd used K&N in my swift at all times.

I would like to know if getting the K&N will have any negative impact on the car, appreciate your expert advise please.

Regards
Arya
Old 12th April 2018, 10:05   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
Hey guys,

So today I replaced the air filter in my Innova 2012 2.5 GX, the filter was extremely dirty.
Come time to pay, the filter costs 1652 Rupees, I am now wondering, I could easily get the K&N E-2296 drop in filter for 7.5K, and may never have to change the filter again (will clean as and when required), I'd used K&N in my swift at all times.

I would like to know if getting the K&N will have any negative impact on the car, appreciate your expert advise please.

Regards
Arya
Regarding K&N and BMC Wet Filters, I've explained the disadvantages that come with using them in India above. Keep in mind the lubricant for K&N filter is also imported and costs a fair bit aside from the constant need for maintenance due to drop in performance due to crappy Indian roads with dust, mud and bugs. Trust me bro, it ain't worth it. My BMC is sitting in my cupboard doing nothing and I'm happily using regular OEM paper filters. When in India, don't expect foreign stuff to be India proof. They often turn out crappier here than normal Indian solutions to Indian problems.
TheSleeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 10:45   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSleeper View Post
When in India, don't expect foreign stuff to be India proof. They often turn out crappier here than normal Indian solutions to Indian problems.
Right, I hear you, I spoke to the guy from Toyota Utrust (got my vehicle from them), he said i could use the K&N, he however said it is best to stick to the Toyota recommended consumables for peace of mind, I guess I will stick to that.

The K&N in my Swift worked really well though.
Old 12th April 2018, 11:07   #329
BHPian

I would suggest you stick to oem air filters and replace as and when required or even earlier.
Why? Well i feel in my personal opinion and using various cars, oem filter works best for Indian conditions. In a few of my cars i have actually noticed drop in performance with so called performance filters.
Now i just buy a set and keep a spare at home, when its too dirty just replace.In a diesel a clean air filter really helps.
scorpian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2018, 16:03   #330
Senior - BHPian

I have recently installed the K&N Filter for my 2014 Honda City iDTEC and here is an update on my ownership thread about the same: URL

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks