Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2006, 09:06   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

ARTICLE: How to modify a diesel car for more performance

Modern diesel engines compete very effectively with petrol engines. Common-rail and some direct-injection turbo diesels are lightning fast, phenomenally fuel efficient and offer phenomenal torque that improves drivability. But is BHP ever enough? If you think performance enhancements are only for petrol engines, think again.

Team-BHP examines how you can get more power from your diesel engine:

1. Power chips and boxes: As simple to install as plug-and-play; in as little as five minutes you can shave upto three seconds from your 0 – 100 acceleration time. Most diesel engines are electronically controlled and a power box will adjust certain control parameters to significantly improve performance. Adding a better intake filter and a free flow exhaust will further improve the performance of your chipped diesel.

2. Turbo-charging: The high compression ratios in diesel engines call for tougher components than those used in petrol engines. As a result, it is easier to install and upgrade turbos on a diesel. Keep in mind that turbo-charging a diesel engine requires an increase in fuel pressure on the fuel pump. Find out more about turbo-charging from this linky.

3. Tweaking fuel pumps: Simple fuel pump tuning will provide more power, albeit at the expense of fuel efficiency. The most frequently modified fuel pumps are manufactured by Bosch. Contact a diesel fuel pump overhauling service to help you tune your pump.

4. Improved inhaling: More air means more oxygen which means more power. Since turbo-charged diesel engines need lots of cool air, RAM intakes offer noticeable performance improvements. The use of performance-grade filters also improves the intake characteristics of turbo-charged diesel engines.

5. Improved exhaling: A free-flowing exhaust leads to the smooth discharge of exhaust gases and results in improved performance. Also, turbo back-pressure is reduced by good exhaust flow.

6. LPG fumigation: Akin to NOS injection in petrol engines, LPG fumigation is the introduction of propane into the air intake of a diesel engine. The difference is that NOS can be used only for short bursts while LPG can be used for longer distances. LPG works like a fuel additive, providing a small amount of fast-burning fuel to aid combustion. It is relatively safe to use: diesel ignites at 350 degrees while LPG ignites at close to 500 degrees, so LPG combustion occurs only after the diesel has ignited. LPG kits for diesels are similar to the LPG kits used on normal petrol cars, except that they are boost-referenced as rather than vacuum-referenced. A properly installed LPG fumigation system will result in a better-running diesel engine. Recommended links for more information are mrsharkey and xtremediesel.

Thanks to Psycho for his extensive inputs on this article.
GTO is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th December 2006, 10:38   #2
BHPian

This is a good way to inform people about the advancement in diesel technology and the immense 'sporty' potential of modern common-rail, turbo diesels. In fact, even OE racing groups are conciously looking at diesels as the next big thing in racing powertrains (The Audi R-10 just speaks for itself)..

Old 5th December 2006, 10:48   #3
BHPian

Please elaborate a bit on the first point ..
Old 5th December 2006, 11:00   #4
BHPian

In a common rail diesel, the engine is controlled via a ECU (electronic control unit). The ECU controls all the fuelling related parameters such as quantity, pressure and advance (these are just a few of the many parameters, but the ones that mainly contribute to the torque output). In case of a VGT (like the Verna), it also controls the turbo. Most OEs add limitations to the fuelling parameters for various reasons and a tuning box (Such as Pete's ) helps by removing some of these restrictions to help get better performance from your engine.

Hope this helps!

Old 5th December 2006, 11:19   #5
BHPian

I was inquisitive about those power chips ... where do you get those power chips

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2006 at 11:32.
navdeep is offline   Received Infraction
Old 5th December 2006, 12:08   #6
BHPian

chipping

Hi, I may sound stupid , but the chips modification that is mentioned - can it be done for a turbo indica? If so where , how and at what cost?
Thanks
Clix
Old 5th December 2006, 12:18   #7
BHPian

Let me also jump to the questioning band wagon.

What do i do to boost the performance of my Peugeot 309 GLD.

No ECU is available. so what are the options for getting the best out of the car.

K&N ?

The engine is the 1527 CC Diesel engine from Peugeot. This has been running in all sorts of Diesels (Esteem, Zen& Accent).

Will be happy to get some advise regarding the options.
Old 5th December 2006, 13:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey pugram,

You could try K&N filters and headers / free flow. Am not sure of the LPG fumigation kit though and am wondering where to source one from to try out?? ANy pointers on where it is available in Chennai?
Old 5th December 2006, 14:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

Is there any way to improve the power in Palio 1.9 D? Though it is controlled by an ECU, it doesn't have any turbo.
Old 5th December 2006, 15:04   #10
Senior - BHPian

You need to get the diesel pump serviced and the timing of the pump altered, along with increasing the flow of the nozzles. all this can be done at the bosch or mico or lucas service centres. lots of centres have worked on these engines and their pumps and injectors.
Ofcourse, goes without saying that FE will go down
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
Let me also jump to the questioning band wagon.

What do i do to boost the performance of my Peugeot 309 GLD.

No ECU is available. so what are the options for getting the best out of the car.

K&N ?

The engine is the 1527 CC Diesel engine from Peugeot. This has been running in all sorts of Diesels (Esteem, Zen& Accent).

Will be happy to get some advise regarding the options.
Old 5th December 2006, 19:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Just a few quick clarifications to other members reading this thread:

1) Most of the electronic mods are for the newer CRDI and TDI models of car's. Some american Diesels also have chipping possibilities.
2) Older diesels benefit a lot from Pump tuning and injector cleaning.
3) A couple of radical companies are now providing for bigger CRDI jectors and turbos for performance on newer diesels.
Old 5th December 2006, 20:31   #12
BHPian

@scooby05

@Pyscho

Thanks for the info.

will get more info from you, when i am actually doing it.

Are there any images of what they actually are.. the headers / free flow etc...i know its tough.. but if there are any available in the member galleries.. that would help my understanding better

Regards

Last edited by pugram : 5th December 2006 at 20:37.
Old 6th December 2006, 13:59   #13
BHPian

thats a really nice thread.
thanks Psycho and GTO.

i've always wanted to knw abt this and this thread i think have explained all.
Old 6th December 2006, 16:00   #14

Very Good Work!

Its an awesome thread!! For people like me who used to think that the petrol engines are everything and who kind of believe that 'performance diesel' is an oxymoron this article is a truth finder. I have always wanted to buy a diesel (It is somehow unbelievable that an engine running on a low cost fuel is more efficient (KMPL) too !) Now with the performance modding possiblity I want to believe that diesel engine will rule. And yes, a turbo is must as I believe that it is the next best thing after sliced bread!!
Keep up the good work!

I belive that in Petrol engines, under 8Lakhs, Baleno is more tuner friendly. Do we have any such ace in diesel cars under 8 Lakhs??
Old 6th December 2006, 17:19   #15

I think Verna (diesel) has the best performance in this price range. In fact its much faster than 'most' of the petrol cars within 8 lakhs price tag. Though I haven't heard of any mods on this car so far, but I'm sure we can easily bring down its 0-100Kmph mark in the range of 9 secs.

Most Viewed