Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2008, 15:30   #136

Hi guys,

I have a swift ZXi 2006 with the odo at 50K+. I have a plan to convert it to LPG.
Is there any one who has done it on swift? How is the performance? Is it worth?

Could any one suggest me the kind of kit that I should use(open or close loop)?
What I really what is that after the conversion I should get the same performance as petrol if not better.

My car is a kerala registered, and can I do the conversion from bangalore and make the necessary changes in my R.C.book? What will be the actual procedure to do so?

What will be the best suitable tank size for my car?

Thanks a lot
Old 14th January 2008, 20:04   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by realswifter View Post
Hi guys,

I have a swift ZXi 2006 with the odo at 50K+. I have a plan to convert it to LPG.
Is there any one who has done it on swift? How is the performance? Is it worth?

Could any one suggest me the kind of kit that I should use(open or close loop)?
What I really what is that after the conversion I should get the same performance as petrol if not better.

My car is a kerala registered, and can I do the conversion from bangalore and make the necessary changes in my R.C.book? What will be the actual procedure to do so?

What will be the best suitable tank size for my car?

Thanks a lot
I would suggest you hold this idea for now since the price of LPG is just Rs.10 less than petrol & certainly not worth the trouble & money.
Old 15th January 2008, 12:09   #138

is it so? OMG Thanks dude for letting me know this ...
Old 28th January 2008, 01:52   #139

Lpg Conversion.

I was reading this thread with great interest as I just purchased a used Santro (2002) fitted with LPG kit. The engine was rough and performance poor. However, a little tuning by the local mechanic perked up the car to be a lot better than the M800 I had earlier.

How am I going to check the average on LPG?

Please suggest fool proof methods for checking average on both LPG and Petrol for the Santro.

Schubeir
Old 28th January 2008, 13:49   #140
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please suggest fool proof methods for checking average on both LPG
Umm...drive it till the tank runs out of gas?
Old 28th January 2008, 14:24   #141
Senior - BHPian

GTO, now now now.

The solution is simbel.

Fill it up, drive some km, fill it up from same pump.
You will get KG filled, and km driven.

Most pumps (atleast CNG) operate at a certain pressure, so kg filled will remain same.
Old 28th January 2008, 15:05   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
GTO, now now now.

The solution is simbel.

Fill it up, drive some km, fill it up from same pump.
You will get KG filled, and km driven.

Most pumps (atleast CNG) operate at a certain pressure, so kg filled will remain same.
I am sorry to say your method may not work at all times. I use the method mentioned by GTO and found it to be accurate. You can tell the exact FE with empting the tank.
Old 28th January 2008, 15:34   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I am sorry to say your method may not work at all times. I use the method mentioned by GTO and found it to be accurate. You can tell the exact FE with empting the tank.
The koshun is simple, but can be complicated much more.

Whether the aggregate average is correct, or is a single day representative of the FE expected everyday?

to me, the above sensitivity is academic.

Similarly, emptying the tank gives a marginally more accurate FE, which again, is a aggregate of many many kms of driving.

and hey, the cost of letting the car run dry for an extra accurate 0.02 of FE is a waste of money at approx about 2.5 Rs/km

Actually depends on what level of inaccuracy one is content to live with! And, filling from the same CNG station works well for me. Don't know how much pressure varies intra day at a LPG station though!

Last edited by phamilyman : 28th January 2008 at 15:36.
Old 28th January 2008, 20:44   #144
Senior - BHPian

running the tank dry is the best method of determining your FE in the case of LPG. same pump, same bunk fills up my tank different quantities every time. Best way would be to empty the tank, fill in 5 litres, drive around until its empty & there you have it.
Old 29th January 2008, 01:31   #145
Senior - BHPian

To increase accuracy, repeat the above procedure for a few thousand kms .
Old 29th January 2008, 10:54   #146
BHPian

I recommend the " Empty Tank Method " and that is how I check my FE on CNG.

You need to empty it completely,to the point where the car won't start on LPG/CNG or begins missing.

Otherwise take a negligeble advance into how much of it is left in the tank and deduce accordingly.
Old 16th February 2008, 10:13   #147
Senior - BHPian

Can someone tell me which is the best place to fit an LPG kit in Bombay and which is the best brand of kits? How much should I expect to pay for it at the most? I want to fit it in an Esteem.
Old 16th February 2008, 11:10   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Can someone tell me which is the best place to fit an LPG kit in Bombay and which is the best brand of kits? How much should I expect to pay for it at the most? I want to fit it in an Esteem.
Not recommended to fit an LPG Kit. Price per KG of LPG has now become close to Rs. 36 per kg, which is at par with diesel. In the next few fuel price hikes, I wont be surprised if the differential between LPG and petrol narrows down to 2-3 Rs.
Pay 20K more and go for CNG kit, since you are in Mumbai. Supply should not be a problem. You will break even sooner than LPG. And CNG still costs close to 23 Rs. per Litre/KG
Old 16th February 2008, 13:31   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Not recommended to fit an LPG Kit. Price per KG of LPG has now become close to Rs. 36 per kg, which is at par with diesel. In the next few fuel price hikes, I wont be surprised if the differential between LPG and petrol narrows down to 2-3 Rs.
Pay 20K more and go for CNG kit, since you are in Mumbai. Supply should not be a problem. You will break even sooner than LPG. And CNG still costs close to 23 Rs. per Litre/KG
I previously had an Esteem with LPG and never did I once see the prices of LPG changing with that of diesel or petrol. In any case, I dont like the way the car performs with CNG. Yes, I'm looking for a cheaper fuel but I also want the car to be fairly responsive. LPG costs around Rs. 26-27/liter(in Bombay) which is around Rs. 10 difference compared to diesel.
Old 16th February 2008, 17:13   #150

Hello guys,
I am in desperate need of some advise. Pleeeease HELP ! I have a Ford Ikon 1.3 CLXI (Endura) 2002 Model. I got it converted on LPG 2 yrs back. I went in for a Landi Renzo (LPG) Original Italian Kit at Dars Automobiles Bangalore. Every thing went very fine for the last 2 yrs & the kit gave me a splendid performance. Now I am posted at Delhi. Recently the engine has started backfiring very badly, in some instances the air filter box is thrown open and some worst cases the air hose leading to the engine via the mixer is thrown out with a big bang. I showed it to a mechanic who promptly opened the vaporiser & cleaned it. However the problem still persists. The problem occurs especially during cold weather when the engine is cold and when the LPG tank is almost empty. I tried cleaning the spark plugs & checked their leads, both are fine. I read some alternative like step up motor (LAMBDA system), closed loop etc. What could be the best solution could somebody give a me a sound advise pls. I will be ever indebted to you. Thanks a ton in advance.

Most Viewed