Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2012, 15:49   #286
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: CNG vs LPG Comparision

I am having type I honda city with automatic transmission. Please advise on whether this model can be converted to CNG. Thanx
Old 18th February 2013, 17:43   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAS View Post

CNG cylinders do not currently come in toroidal shape IMHO. The pressure is pretty high, they are constantly filled with ~200bar at the pumps (that's almost 100 times more than the pressure you fill in your tyres)
Hello

Does anyone have an update on this situation - are Toroidal CNG Cylinders now in the aftermarket?

Thanks
Amitabh
Old 19th February 2013, 14:44   #288
BHPian

The wait is over! Bangalore will finally get CNG!

Source: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/18567433.cms

Given that BMTC is usually aggressive in taking up initiatives, I am hopeful that all buses will be CNG in the years to come
kvish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2013, 19:50   #289
Senior - BHPian

Guys what would be the ideal annual mileage to be done to justify a CNG/LPG conversion.I know this must have been discussed a zillion times but in todays time when petrol costs 77.3 something in mumbai even when a person travelling 500 kms a month in car which gives around 11.5 kmpl in city traffic would need 44 litres of fuel.This would translate into 77.3 * 44 = 3401 per month and annually 40814 Rs.

One can get a CNG kit for 40-50K but does the more than 1K per month rule/saying for switching to alternate fuel hold any water ? I think that mark has now come down to more than 300-400 km per month one needs to be switching to alternate fuel.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 3rd March 2013 at 19:52.
Old 3rd March 2013, 23:01   #290
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

At the rate fuel prices are going up - I doubt it matters how much is the daily running for any car to switch to CNG. We have installed CNG in our car and its actually cheaper than using the bike. Our daily running is just around 40 kms per day - but the savings are a lot. Plus the benefit is that whenever you have to drive long distance within Mumbai - you dont have to think twice about taking your car because you are running on gas.

Here are the approximate costs of running 40kms (A/C ON all time).

Petrol: Considering an average of 10kmpl in city traffic. That would mean about 4 litres of petrol at a cost of Rs 309.2 per day OR Rs 7.73 per kilometer.

CNG: Difficult to calculate average per kg and compare it to petrol. But we get a range of 120-125 kms (Baleno) for the price of Rs 280 in city traffic. That means a rate of Rs 2.24 per kilometer. We can literally run three CNG cars instead of one petrol for the same cost.The running cost again will be lower if it is a small car.

Diesel: Our Xylo currently returns an average of 8 kmpl. Thus a cost of Rs 271.3 per day OR Rs 6.7825 per kilometer.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2013, 22:07   #291
BHPian

How good is the LPG option in an Ambassador? Ours is a 1988 which was retrofitted with the 1800ISZ Mill as soon as we bought it and then we had dieselised it about 10yrs ago, then took our sweet time to register with the RTO. The rule by then became that you cannot change the fuel type in the RC from D to P or vise versa. So we got the old mill back on it and now we are wondering if we can fit a LPG kit.

I heard LPG is not good for big engines like the 1800ISZ. Experts please advice.
Old 16th August 2013, 00:31   #292
Senior - BHPian

No such thing!

One of the main reasons the ambassador is still surviving because of the CNG version. Check with the dealer
Old 16th August 2013, 10:18   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er View Post
How good is the LPG option in an Ambassador?
I heard LPG is not good for big engines like the 1800ISZ. Experts please advice.

Ambassador comes with a BRC make sequential kit as OEM fitment, but there is no information available about any buyer in cities like Bangalore, Mumbai and Chennai so cannot say anything on performance. There is no such thing that LPG is not good for big engines becoz Pandian has installed sequential kits on BMW and Mercedes also so should not be any problem.
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 19:05   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by av8er View Post
How good is the LPG option in an Ambassador? Ours is a 1988 which was retrofitted with the 1800ISZ Mill as soon as we bought it and then we had dieselised it about 10yrs ago, then took our sweet time to register with the RTO. The rule by then became that you cannot change the fuel type in the RC from D to P or vise versa. So we got the old mill back on it and now we are wondering if we can fit a LPG kit.

Hi,

It is not the engine type and size that determines but rather the fuel and it's characteristics that determines the use.

LPG can very well be used and when I was on to this stuff BRC was the best and advanced kit makers of the lot. That was some 15 years ago.

Coming to LPG - it is a slow burning fuel with an octane rating of 100 and above. Thus this fuel is resistant to knocking. Since the fuel is slow burning a timing advance of 4 deg is also required, which I think these days many kits have as a default. Since the engine is not designed to run on LPG or gaseous fuel, you loose a bit of power, A properly designed fuel mixing venturi, higher compression ratio and an advanced ignition system would do the job.

This does not mean the converted cars do not hold good, the power loss is minimal and only few can make out.

Also between the CNG and LPG, CNG is better cause it is does not contain methyl mercaptain, which chocks up the small passages. Both the gasses are imported but CNG is a bit cheaper.

Before going to an Install, make sure that you Ignition system is in top notch. Once Ignition system is in fine fettle you will have nothing to worry.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2013, 20:51   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
There is no such thing that LPG is not good for big engines becoz Pandian has installed sequential kits on BMW and Mercedes also so should not be any problem.
Any idea if he has done a conversion on automatics? Specifically i-10?

Last edited by Mpower : 16th August 2013 at 21:58.
Old 16th August 2013, 22:43   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
There is no such thing that LPG is not good for big engines becoz Pandian has installed sequential kits on BMW and Mercedes also so should not be any problem.
IIRC, I have read in Mr. Mehta's Civic AT CNG thread, that it is illegal to fit kits to engines larger than 2.4lt (not sure of value). Can someone please confirm??
Old 27th October 2013, 23:39   #297
DWC
BHPian

Has anyone here fitted their cars with the FutureInject CNG kit from Certified CNG? As per the company's claims it is far superior to sequential, closed and open loop systems, and also cheaper!

Would be great if someone who has some experience or knowledge on this could shed some light.
Old 19th December 2013, 23:17   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
... Plus the benefit is that whenever you have to drive long distance within Mumbai - you dont have to think twice about taking your car because you are running on gas. ....

This is indeed an important point. Earlier, when my car was just petrol, I too used to prefer other means of transport. But now that it is CNG, the frequency of taking out the car has increased. So when one calculates the driving kms, keep this in mind that when your car would run on gas, you would use it much more.
Old 9th April 2014, 21:18   #299
Senior - BHPian

Guys is there a switch to manually move from cng to petrol if needed or it happens automatically only ?

Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 17:29   #300
BHPian

When will CNG filling stations be a reality in Bangalore and Karnataka in general?

I live in Bangalore and am keen on owning / using a CNG kit fitted car for obvious reasons of economy and eco-friendliness of the fuel.

But, there seems to be no news on when this will be a reality. I am posting this new thread with a hope that fellow BHPians will be able to provide some update on whether this is likely to happen in the near future.

News articles posted in various newspapers mentioned the local bus transport depots in B'lore being equipped with CNG filling stations in Aug/Sept 2013. Not sure if that is a reality but if it is I am hopeful that the state government and GAIL will also provide CNG supply to individual consumers.

I welcome readers/participants in this forum to provide any update on this.

Request Mods to please move this to the appropriate forum - I looked around and couldnt find one that seemed appropriate and so decided to post this here.

Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks