Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2007, 21:53   #61
Team-BHP Support

spark plug burning up maybe due to higher burning temp coz of lpg and or a very lean mix
Old 7th April 2007, 00:27   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E_L
Funny you should say this nitrous.
Everything is funny to U,taxman!
80,000 kms was just an average and is not an absolute number here.There is a lot of variables here like Engine maintenance, driving habits,state of tune,etc.Some engines are over-engineered (hondas,japs,etc..) which have higher tolerances.
About the spark plugs, it was a one-off case. I would doubt the lean mixture like Jaggu says since he was getting around 11kpl with the Swift on LPG with 100% AC.
Old 7th April 2007, 00:43   #63
BHPian

You can get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
LPG is a drier fuel than Petrol and it does not lubricate the valves as much as Petrol does.
'ksethuram',a chennai member is running his Swift ZXi on LPG(BRC kit)and researched th net about the above theory and it was true.He told me just that. I checked with a couple of experts and they confirmed. This is why LPG run cars have engine heads requiring overhaul at around 80000 kms.There is a product that can counter this problem.Its called a 'Valve saver kit' and the brand I know of is 'FlashLube' from Australia.

Also, another problem that he's facing is with Spark plugs wearing out fast.
You ca get the product (flashlube) from

Improve car performance, Car performance enhancements, Engine performance improvements, car performance products, car care products, engine performance products, engine performance enhancements, OWS, OWS India, OWS products, OWS products India, Tecta

They have got dealers all over india.
Old 8th April 2007, 12:58   #64
BHPian

I really don't think with good maintainence and regular oil changes, The Head overhaul would be required..!

1) Get the Airfilter cleaned every 5000 Km

2) Spark Plugs Checked and Cleaned if required every 15 K ( I got mine checked and cleaned at 12990)

3)Get Throttle cleaned every 7000 K if Driving in Dusty Conditions.

Like I shared earlier in some thread, We met a XETA CNG taxi owner with close to 40 K on his reading in 6 months, The car gave no impression on the pickup or engine power front that it was losing it...Although he recommended that Get the Spark Plugs changed after every 15 K, or since you don't drive a Taxi you could manage till 20 K.

This was confirmed to me by The Service Advisor, who said TATA has sent them a notification to inspect the plugs and change if neccessary at every 15 K interval for CNG vehicles.

I just got the plugs and the throttle cleaned , two days back- The plugs don't show any carbon deposit or such, The gap was readjusted and cleaned with Sandpaper.

Although If I do have to go in for Spark Plug change, I'm looking for the Mico-BOSCH CNG 4 Electrode plug which was available a few years back..! I have tried mailing to Bosch for enquiry-No response..!

Could anyone enquire about the plugs.
Old 8th April 2007, 14:17   #65
BHPian

Check this site for FAQ on CNG and LPG Maintainence, and What to do incase of any leaks

CNG Equipment,CNG Equipment Suppliers,CNG Equipment India
Old 12th April 2007, 05:50   #66
BANNED

There is some special brand of engine oils meant for cars running on LPG since LPG is drier than petrol. Does anyone know more info regarding this ?

I've found that there are lots of myths surrounding the use of Auto gas among the folks. It's time to get them busted !!!

Even the Bentley of Queen Elizabeth is running on LPG !!! The same is the case of almost all the cars in the palace and they even have a private LPG Dispensing station.

Even the S-Class which was involved in the Diana's crash was fitted with a LPG tank. Another notable thing is that the gas tank was intact even after the crash.
Old 12th April 2007, 09:57   #67
Senior - BHPian

Regardless of actual experience, there is no doubt that CNG is feasible in a car. The only problem that has given it a bad name is bad installation in most of cases. I wanted to get my Corsa 1.4 fitted with CNG in Oct 2006, but at that time the Delhi CNG authorised fitters were waiting for licence renewal, and told me to wait for 1 month for RC endorsement. From what i could gather, CNG does not harm the engine. Only perhaps car specs do not perhaps result in optimal CNG use. CNG is a higher octane fuel, and is supposed to give 30-40% more FE for the same driving.

I checked with a driving school and he runs his whole fleet on CNG, and faced no problems with his Santro for 3 yrs till then. He said that in the mornign he runs 4-5 kms on petrol first and then switches to CNG for the day.

Fucot in Delhi is advertising CNG installation with I think Lambda kit. Is it worthwhile for Corsa 1.4.
Old 18th April 2007, 18:53   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Ya Mine is Indica XETA GLG 1.4..!

This performance drop..again and again...Its not something which is so evident, something which does not allow you to drive easily...I agree there is a performance drop when you need sudden pickup, but the lag is hardly a big drawback...!

I am getting the same FE in my Cielo with AC on 100 %. (18 KMs/Kg).
Old 18th April 2007, 21:11   #69
BHPian

Vasu, I don't think a good kit is available from FUCOT, considering their prices..!

You can opt for Shrimanker Bedini, as they are the OEM for GM Chev Optra and Aveo as well as for Ford and TATA.

The Best in the Business are Nugas,Hovell,Bedini,Landi Renzo,Lovarto..! Do not opt for Chinese or Indian Makes apart from Hovell since they are not only cheaper but unsafe too.

No doubt on the safety aspect of the LPG vs CNG argument, CNG wins Handsomely. But in Both LPG or CNG a good installation matter the most for safety.

It does take around a month or so for the ARAI and RTO Approvals to come through, You may document it with the installer.

Last edited by wolfinstein : 18th April 2007 at 21:13.
Old 19th April 2007, 00:11   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Some engines are over-engineered (hondas,japs,etc..) which have higher tolerances.
Dont you mean some engines are under-engineered just to carry a name ???
Old 19th April 2007, 14:46   #71
BHPian

Once you start getting both cng and lpg like petrol, the race will be won by lpg.
Old 19th April 2007, 18:09   #72

I myself have been Using CNG kit on my baleno for the last 8 months or so.. totally on CNG i have driven around 20k and all i do is get my car serviced on time and drive 1/2 km on petrol.

I would suggest anyone who wanted to get there car converted to CNG to go to saya motors here in delhi, the kit was installed in a clean manner... i have seen many cars where there are wires hanging outside the CNG refilling valve or the valve gets loosen ups.. though the rate of the kit is on a higher side but its actully safer. here in delhi CNG is available as easily as petrol and many petrol stations have started installing CNG machines there.. so as SWATHYD said in a race LPG will win.. probably i wud say it will take lot of years atlest here in delhi to win the race as CNG is cheaper than LPG easily available.. for LPG i think there are 8-10 stations only which have LPG and that too are Company owned stations. other petrol pump who are privatly owned preffer to have CNG as the number of CNG based car are far more than LPG. one more thing.. CNG is a odorless gas.. that means no stinking cabins.. i have seen a wagonR LPG with a stinking cabin. though its not that bad but one cud make that there is a LPG smell there..

For CNG there is a Major loss of power with AC's on.. specially on lower gears.. i seriously wanted to go for lambda sensor.. for me its more as i do not have the air resonator in my car.. unluckily i lost mine in an accident and maruti doesnt have it in stock :(

one more myth that i get to hear from so many ppl that CNG is not successful in this car or that car. ... CNG is a just another fuel and CNG combustion engine is very very similar to petrol combustion engine.. so any petrol engine can be converted to have CNG engine.... i have seen civic, corolla to maruti and even merc been run in CNG here in delhi.. even a guy in here wrote that some one told him that CNG is not successfull on Ikon 1.6 my frnd has ikon 1.6 running over CNG with the best of the performance far better than mine and we both got the kit installed from the same vendor.. mine is an accidental car so the engine produce a bit less power :(
Old 22nd April 2007, 07:11   #73
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
Once you start getting both cng and lpg like petrol, the race will be won by lpg.
Completely agree with you and 100% true !!!
Old 22nd April 2007, 08:18   #74
BHPian

@lucksin.
thanks for clearing my doubt that cng works good in Ikon 1.6

Where is saya motors? What would be the cost of the kit + lamda for Ikon 1.6. I heard now 16Kg cylinders are also available.
Old 22nd April 2007, 11:46   #75
BHPian

lucksin.
Where's saya motors? any numbers?

Most Viewed