Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2007, 00:12   #91
BHPian

@swathyyd

With LPG you would be saving at the max 15-20%. You can do your own canculations and check. So for that much saving there is no point of putting LPG and taking a risk..
Old 30th April 2007, 09:07   #92
BHPian

Please Opt for a good standard kit from reputed Manufactures, Indian or Chinese Make are cheaper and not neccessarily safer- Look at offerings from Landi Renzo, Bedini- The Best in Business- You could also try Minda Impco.

Rohan Motors gives CNG in West Delhi Also I'm not very sure- But at least the one here in Mohan Co Op and Noida does.

Dealer will have to give you a written expression that, He will be providing warranty on the vehicle for specified duration of time.

If its not written- Then he is cheating you, Cause somewhere down the line He can refuse claim of warranty.

Since its a new car, You can and should get RC Smartcard with CNG Edorsed on it,and insurance IDV will increase by hardly 1500-2000 rupees, in my case Top of the line GLG Xeta it was increased by 1900 for CNG Cover.

These are added costs, and should be done for Legal, Safe and Regulatory Compliance.

As mentioned by Compenn, Ford Ikon CNG is available from Nov 2006, You also have Lancer CNG, Optra-Aveo CNG.

Infact Apart from Maruti- Nobody is in for LPG- Even Hyundai Santro CNG is the most awaited launch of this Coming Quarter.

Optra Deal Published yesterday gives 3 years or Some 1,00,000 + KM coverage on its CNG and Regular Model ( Optra Kit is OEM Shrimanker Bedini, same as TATA)

Last edited by wolfinstein : 30th April 2007 at 09:09.
Old 30th April 2007, 09:31   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by compenn View Post
@swathyyd

With LPG you would be saving at the max 15-20%. You can do your own canculations and check. So for that much saving there is no point of putting LPG and taking a risk..
I was researching the LPG option for an older car a few years ago, but didnt get it done, but might still make the modification in my current Baleno.
I'd like to hear it from the experts but I think there is a misconception that LPG vehicles are more efficient i.e. they consume less litres to the same distance travelled in an uncoverted petrol engine. I've informally asked a few people who had their carburetted or MPFI engines converted. Except for one 1999 Zen owner who had completed 100,000km on his Lovato kit, and a Matiz user who recently had a Zavoli (?) kit fitted, no one else said that their vehicles were more efficient by this measure. As a matter of fact, one user of a converted Esteem, said he gets 10kmpl on LPG and 12kmpl on Petrol. Part of the reason for this answer is their inability(?!) to accurately measure fuel efficieny while running on LPG

There is no question LPG runs cheaper. Since India has abundant resources of propane, I'm surprised the govt has not gone all out to endorse usage of LPG. There is another significant upside to LPG. LPG-run vehicles emit between 10 and 15 per cent lower greenhouse gas emissions than petrol vehicles and create only 20 per cent of petrol's air toxic emissions. LPG is also cleaner than diesel, emitting far fewer particulates, diesel's biggest problem.
Old 30th April 2007, 20:49   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Infact Apart from Maruti- Nobody is in for LPG- Even Hyundai Santro CNG is the most awaited launch of this Coming Quarter.

Optra Deal Published yesterday gives 3 years or Some 1,00,000 + KM coverage on its CNG and Regular Model ( Optra Kit is OEM Shrimanker Bedini, same as TATA)
Is the news of Santro CNG confirmed ? Or are these rumours ?
Old 30th April 2007, 23:49   #95
BHPian

Which is the best lpg kit available ?
Old 30th April 2007, 23:55   #96
BHPian

There is an article on economictimes.com which says Petrol cost should be around Rs 20.xx if all govt taxes are removed from it.

Par panel seeks duty cuts in petrol, diesel-Oil & Gas-Energy-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

Guys imagine who would use CNG LPG etc if Petrol costs Rs 20 a litre. I know the idea is far fethced because our Govt's thirst for taxes would always increase but imagine..... WOW
Old 1st May 2007, 00:40   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by compenn
With LPG you would be saving at the max 15-20%.
No way!
There is atleast 40% savings in LPG compared to Petrol.

Also, without taxes and duties, Petrol is cheaper than diesel in our country.
Old 1st May 2007, 00:51   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by compenn View Post
Guys imagine who would use CNG LPG etc if Petrol costs Rs 20 a litre. I know the idea is far fethced because our Govt's thirst for taxes would always increase but imagine..... WOW

Also imagine the cost of the latest Hyundai Verna would be a ridiculously low 2.95Lakhs or even lesser, would you believe that ?????
Old 1st May 2007, 02:04   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Also imagine the cost of the latest Hyundai Verna would be a ridiculously low 2.95Lakhs or even lesser, would you believe that ?????
How would verna cost be 2.95Laks?
Do you mean govt takes 53% tax in a car?
Old 1st May 2007, 05:21   #100
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd
but ford themself says it is not suitable to be converted to lpg. The 'carwale' ask the expert section says many times to avoid conversion of ford vehiles to lpg.
I know of a black marketer in my village who is running his Ikon 1.3 with the cooking LPG for the last 3 years from Day One and has cloaked about 25,000 KMS and still going strong. But I'm not sure about the long term prospectus.
Old 1st May 2007, 14:35   #101
BHPian

No there are official statements for Santro CNG

Hyundai Motor to launch Santro's CNG version

IndianExpress.com :: Hyundai to launch diesel, CNG versions of Santro
Old 27th May 2007, 11:10   #102

hi gigy,
you right that lpg kits also comes with ecu. but the problem is that the sensor they use are of petrol ie oxygen sensor. oxygen sensor are diffrent according the car manufacturer. So their output also differs for the specific manufacture of the car. but the gas ecu are same for all cars so practcally they do not help much in car performance. The main reson for power loss on lpg or cng is becoz of air reduction. air plays a major role in engine power. during gas conversion with the use of part called mixer air is reduced to create more vaccume for gas. This reduce the power on gas as well as on petrol. also it drops mileage on petrol drastically.
So to improve your power performance replace the mixer with bigger diameter mixer or my suggestion remove the mixer. You wil be amazed with your car performance.

Last edited by miraauto : 27th May 2007 at 11:13.
Old 14th June 2007, 18:22   #103
tez
BHPian

Hi,
Can any one tell me of a good LPG converter dealer in pune? Also i dont know how would I judge whether the person actually knows how to tune the LPG kit for performance as i am novice in the same field?
Old 14th June 2007, 18:53   #104
Senior - BHPian

Get hold of someone in your circle who is already running a LPG car. PM our pune members.
Old 4th July 2007, 23:07   #105

A bit on the LPG/CNG being dry fuels funda:

This is a problem that we faced in our old M800. We were one of the early brave batches who converted to CNG back in the golden days of 2001 - yes, 10 hour queues and all that jazz. The car was sold last Dec, with about 90+k on the odo.

Issues besides the usual lack of pickup:
a. Alternator going kaput several times. This became a standard once in a year n half types replacement. Don't ask me why.
b. CNG drying engine out (was blamed for a) - took tips from taxiwalas, who recommend that one must drive the car for a few km every 3-4 days on petrol. Now, my bro on his Indica CNG drives one way (~25km) on petrol weekly. No issues.
c. Fuel pump failed. Basically, for close to two years, we NEVER used petrol. Clearly, not your highway warriors, we - not in the m800 tincase One day, we forgot to fill CNG - and the car won't start. No go. The fuel pump failed because lack of use had made it go bad/petrol in the car was foul/... - but basically the simple solution is to drive 15-20km a week on petrol. Keeps the engine happy.

Bro's 15k km done Indica Xeta CNG is bherry bherry happy. After initial lambda issues, things have become buttersmooth

Most Viewed