Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2007, 13:20   #106
nil

Cities allowing CNG Vs LPG usage

Team BHP - I would start with my apologies, if this is posted message has been posted in the wrong column. Frankly, while the contents of this website are awesome, the site itself is so complicated and i find that many users are posting messages in the wrong place..... guess Team BHP should re-organise the site to be user friendly or lower standards on indexing the right messages at right place.

Back to business, I would like to understand if CNG/ LPG usage is governed by State Government approval. Are there cities where LPG/CNG is not approved. I m keen to know about Mumbai. Is CNG usage approved by Govt in Mumbai and also is the supply of CNG for automobiles ample in Mumabi?

Thanks in advance for your responses...nil
Old 2nd September 2007, 14:24   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by compenn View Post
This is not exactly related to the topic but could somebody tell me what does it mean when the LEDs on the CNG start blinking??? Since there are generally 3 LEDs does it mean when 1 starts blinking or goes off 33% gas is used? When it comes on red how much gas is left? I know it would depend on the capacity of the cylinder but still lets have an estimate..

Does the red light also blink or it just goes off??

What is the best way to calculate a car's mileage on CNG?
When you fill the tank to the brim all lights should glow in the LEDs. One by one they start to go off as you drive.

In the REDlight there is generally 2 kgs of gas which in my case means 40 kms. Cant say about your settings and average and it will never blink. ReD means a reserve kinda thing and get it filled asap.

According to what i have figured its tough to calculate CNG average in one go. Take into account cng filled in one month and the running you have done on it. That would give you a clear picture.
Old 3rd September 2007, 10:12   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nil View Post
Team BHP - I would start with my apologies, if this is posted message has been posted in the wrong column. Frankly, while the contents of this website are awesome, the site itself is so complicated and i find that many users are posting messages in the wrong place..... guess Team BHP should re-organise the site to be user friendly or lower standards on indexing the right messages at right place.

Back to business, I would like to understand if CNG/ LPG usage is governed by State Government approval. Are there cities where LPG/CNG is not approved. I m keen to know about Mumbai. Is CNG usage approved by Govt in Mumbai and also is the supply of CNG for automobiles ample in Mumabi?

Thanks in advance for your responses...nil
nil, i see that you have got nil replies too. Let me break that.

Your first part of the post really does not belong here. It would be more apt here
  1. CNG/LPG installation & use in a motor vehicle is governed by several laws starting from the M.V. Act to the Explosives act as such the kit & the installation needs to be approved.
  2. Cities/towns are not disapproved. Only kits are disapproved. You can fit an approved kit & get it endorsed by your RTO & use it anywhere in India. Make sure there is a LPG/CNG bunk in your city/town.
  3. Like said above usage of CNG/LPG is certainly approved everywhere. Check with locals for ample supply.
cheers
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:37   #109

Hi,
I got my esteem car converted to gas and is just amazing, truly amazing. I get good mileage and hardly any smoke (like any other new cars do). I got it fitted from Star Gas in bangalore and he is a fantastic engineer.
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:39   #110

Hi
In the kit fitted by Star Gas, on filling the full tank (80% of 60 litres) = 48 litres, teh first light goes off after 150 kms, 2nd/3rd/4th goes off after another 130-150 kkms, but the last one in 'red' give another 130-150 kms. So I get approximately about 450-500kms for a full tank.
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:43   #111

Converting Baleno Vxi to Gas

Hi
I own a Aug 2006 Baleno Vxi. I have done about 9000kms and thinking of converting to Gas. Could you please give me the pros/cons of converting to Gas in a class engine like Baleno.
Prior to this, I was owning a Maruti Esteem VX and did approximately 65000 kms before I sold it recently. I was running that too on gas and the results were superb, just superb.

So, guys, can you please put in your thoughts/experience/knowledge on my query.

Arun
Old 3rd September 2007, 14:24   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunsoundar View Post
Hi
In the kit fitted by Star Gas, on filling the full tank (80% of 60 litres) = 48 litres, teh first light goes off after 150 kms, 2nd/3rd/4th goes off after another 130-150 kkms, but the last one in 'red' give another 130-150 kms. So I get approximately about 450-500kms for a full tank.
Hey which cylinder is it. The max cng capacity is 14 lt. A full tank of this lasts no more than 200 kms. i think you are talking about lpg kit but still its huge what you are talking about. let me know whats it ?
Old 3rd September 2007, 19:58   #113
BHPian

@ Arun, It would be easier to post in one go or use edit option to modify your post..and ofcourse do mention what " GAS" are we talking about, In your case LPG.
Old 4th September 2007, 00:49   #114
BHPian

Hi all,
been using an LPG accent GLS for over a year now. The car is awesome. The guy i did it from was in 4 bungalows, versova and has done such a good job on it that it runs just like a petrol car. Of course fortunately for me an LPG station is near where i live so its no problem, however i've seen only a few in Mumbai. I choose LPG v/s CNG for one simple thing, range and weight. The weight of a CNG tank is too much. If one were to stiffen the rear suspension it would be better. For Eg, 60 KGs for an empty CNG tank v/s 20-25 for an empty LPG tank. Also an LPG tank holds upto 45 Ltrs of fuel. Though economy wont be as much as CNG atleast i dont have to visit the petrol pump every 2 days. What is your view on this? Anyway i'm selling the car now and going for a diesel
Old 4th September 2007, 08:34   #115
BHPian

Not really. The weight really does not affect the ride quality or Suspension abilities, But Yes when I do have a Fully loaded XETA , I do face an occassional Crunch on a High speed bump, Other than that, The Tank weight is nothing to create issues.

Since the tanks are made of Fibre and Aluminium, I doubt that they weigh above 60 Kgs empty, More or less, 50-60 Kgs when completely full.

45 Liters of LPG, And I guess if my maths is right, 1 Ltr = 1 Kg- So in short the weight possibility really does not make such a huge difference.
Old 4th September 2007, 10:37   #116
Senior - BHPian

I litre is much lesser than 1 kg.

@arunsoundar.... baleno is as good as the esteem for LPG, go ahead.
Old 4th September 2007, 19:15   #117
BHPian

Its more or less around a Ltr ( Rounded)

Eitherway, Weight should not have been the decision criteria specially with a 10-15 Kg difference, It should have been more on the Performance/Safety/Economy/Intial Cost.

Both CNG/LPG are good in my opinion for Baleno, as long as they are certified systems and Closed Loop.

WikiAnswers - How many kilograms are in a liter

liter
Old 4th September 2007, 20:02   #118
BHPian

Hi All,

Please clarify certain doubts that I have.

1. Is LPG sold in Kg's or in Liters?
2. If LPG is sold in Kg's, do we calculate the mileage in Kg's or Liter's.
3. What is the exact conversion from Kg to Liter.
4. Which is the most suited LPG tank size for hatchbacks, like Zen, Alto and 800.
5. If one is installing a 60 Liter tank, do we assum that the max we can fill at a single go would be about 40 kg's of Gas?.
6. What kind of range (km's) are we looking at for different sizes of tanks, and what tank sizes are usually available.
7. What cost are we looking at for installation on Carb Zen's? including RTO work?
8. Any specific brand that has been very sucessful in hatchbacks like Zen's?
Old 4th September 2007, 21:19   #119
Senior - BHPian

Answers in bold. Please view others feedback as well. This is only based on my experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
1. Is LPG sold in Kg's or in Liters?
Ans: Litres
2. If LPG is sold in Kg's, do we calculate the mileage in Kg's or Liter's.
Ans: Litres
3. What is the exact conversion from Kg to Liter.
Ans: Depends on density of the stuff. Approx is 1kg=1.04litres
4. Which is the most suited LPG tank size for hatchbacks, like Zen, Alto and 800.
Ans:35 litres
5. If one is installing a 60 Liter tank, do we assum that the max we can fill at a single go would be about 40 kg's of Gas?.
Ans:80% of capacity, ie 28 litres for a 35 litres capacity
6. What kind of range (km's) are we looking at for different sizes of tanks, and what tank sizes are usually available.
Ans: 2 types are available: 35L torodial and 60L round tank
7. What cost are we looking at for installation on Carb Zen's? including RTO work?
Ans: Rs. 15000-18000
8. Any specific brand that has been very sucessful in hatchbacks like Zen's?
Ans: Many brands are available: Lovato, BRC, Zavoli, star gas, magic etc. Check approved kit for your model and find a good installer.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 4th September 2007 at 21:20.
Old 5th September 2007, 09:26   #120
BHPian

Hi mail4ajo

Thanks for the above responces, got to know a lot from them.
Could you please let me know how satisfied you are with the LPG conversion, I have been reading posts by you and know that you have a closed loop LPG KIT. Have you benified from the lower cost of LPG?

Which tank do you have on your Alto, is it the 35 or 60? some photos of the boot would also be nice, or if you have already posted the same, then please provide me the link where I can see the boot space after installtion.

Thanks Again!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks