Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2007, 17:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

This is good overview given by GTO.

For more information, do check the first issue of What Car? magazine, it has an investigative report on CNGvLPG by yours truly. Its a bi-monthly issue. Check October-November 2006.

Drifter
Old 13th March 2007, 20:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

please visit the installer before completing a month of installation and also keep visiting him once a few months to have a check on the fitting tightness. once the pipings have set in due to the varying temperature inside the engine bay the fittings have to be checked, i found two of my car install slightly loose after about 15 days and re torqued them properly. dont have a fit and forget policy with lpg, infact any fuel system mods.
Old 13th March 2007, 23:45   #18
BHPian

CNG maybe intially lower on pickup, but nothing which is deterimental to daily driving..! I do a daily drive from Delhi-Noida 38 Kms with a Mix of Bumper 2 Bumper on Kalindi Kunj(Border Bridge of UP-Delhi) and I don't face poor pickup or so,But I agree its slower than petrol on lower gears but after that it shoots like a rocket, Considering the Heavy Weight Indica is..(Detailed Review- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-in...tml#post271120)

Its cleaner, greener, cheaper,safer..!

Mileage varies between 16-19 Km per Kg..! roughly around 0.99 paisa per Km travelled.

Although Disadvantage are- Cylinder takes boot space, Only few Metro cities have complete CNG pipelines, other areas are being linked will take another 3 years or so..! Intial Investment is in likes of 40 K for a good imported Kit, recoverable in a year or sooner depending on your daily driving pattern.
Old 14th March 2007, 06:09   #19
BHPian

Can I get CNG fitted in 1.6 Ikon Zxi in Delhi?? I heard from a mechanic that CNG is not successful in Ikon 1.6 but is good in ikon 1.3

Anybody has CNG in Ikon 1.6. please advise.
Old 14th March 2007, 10:07   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
roughly around 0.99 paisa per Km travelled.
That is CHEAP!. Even my fuel-efficient diesel Indigo is about 3 bucks a km for fuel. Out of curiousity, what is the price per kg of CNG, and how much was your average?
Old 14th March 2007, 10:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

LPG price varies from Rs.24-27 per litre (not kgs). I wonder how much CNG costs. We do not have CNG here in chennai.
Old 14th March 2007, 11:14   #22
Senior - BHPian

Its between 18-19 Rs a KG in Delhi.
Old 14th March 2007, 11:58   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
LPG price varies from Rs.24-27 per litre (not kgs).
And what are the typical averages? Realistic for hatchbacks and sedans?

Here is an excellent topic on a similar discussion : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...onversion.html
Old 14th March 2007, 12:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Average is 85-90% of your petrol average. My esteem returns 10 Kmpl of petrol for my style of driving in city conditions. For gas, typically my average is about 8.5 to 9 kmpl. For a hatch that returns 15KMPL in city, it will return about 13KMPL in LPG. So that works out to roughly Rs.2/- per KM LPG(27 per litre) as against Rs.3.2 for petrol (48 per Litre).
Old 14th March 2007, 12:35   #25
JPL
BHPian

I have commuted to my office in a Maruti omni with LPG for two months. My experience was horrible. The taxi used to have problems with;
1. Starting, used to take a lot of time to start.
2. Power loss is very evident, pick up suffers big time.
3. Everytime the taxi used to stop, the driver used to take out the lpg cylinder ( domestic gas is used very commonly here by taxis) and put it in the sun and wait.
Old 14th March 2007, 12:45   #26
JPL
BHPian

I have a Santro and this car itself is starved of power and after the two month experience I cant even think of doing that to my car, yes I know that its a taxi and it may not be maintained to produce the normal performance which I may have not witnessed.

However I do not want to compromise on the existing power that I have on the car, may be increase but not a mod like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
I have commuted to my office in a Maruti omni with LPG for two months. My experience was horrible. The taxi used to have problems with;
1. Starting, used to take a lot of time to start.
2. Power loss is very evident, pick up suffers big time.
3. Everytime the taxi used to stop, the driver used to take out the lpg cylinder ( domestic gas is used very commonly here by taxis) and put it in the sun and wait.
Old 14th March 2007, 12:50   #27
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

JPL ...

Every car needs to be maintened for it to serve you well. To my knowledge Drivers do not maintain cars, only owners do (there might be exceptions). Its natural that for a taxi they are not going to be bothered maintaining it and hence the problems u have faced. Its the same for petrol or diesel or LPG/CNG.

The taxi u used could have done a shoddy job on conversion for LPG to keep cost down. Domestic gas is banned actually.
Old 14th March 2007, 12:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

Just the fact that this particular taxi was running on domestic, subsidised LPG shows the attitude of the owner. Please do not base your opinions on that. Why dont you talk to a private car owner who runs on LPG ?
Old 14th March 2007, 13:05   #29
JPL
BHPian

Yeah, I guess I should do that..or rather drive a LPG car for some days... to get the actual picture
Old 14th March 2007, 17:20   #30
BHPian

Hi,
I have a doubt. Where fuel fill opening will come for LPG if it is not factory fitted. Is it necessary to cut the car for that ? or every time shall i have to open by boot for filling it ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks