Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2008, 20:56   #151
Senior - BHPian

Found this link on the net. Its about a cost comparison b/w Petrol/ CNG/LPG. Hope you find it useful.

Select the alternate fuel that best suits your requirement. Select between CNG or LPG
Old 17th February 2008, 01:39   #152
Senior - BHPian

Hrman, while the website gents are in their wisdom pushing LPG, I can tell you that the maintenance amounts written are completely WRONG. So is the drop in power! Misleading website is all i can say.
Old 17th February 2008, 10:21   #153
Senior - BHPian

I have seen cars being raced in the UK with LPG kits. UK is the largest producer of LPG in Europe and its very popular there.
Old 18th February 2008, 15:19   #154
BANNED

Is the LPG Price is still Rs.26.30 Per lt in Mumbai as mentioned ?

Select the alternate fuel that best suits your requirement. Select between CNG or LPG
Old 18th February 2008, 19:37   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Is the LPG Price is still Rs.26.30 Per lt in Mumbai as mentioned ?

I will be passing that pump in a while. Will check and confirm in a few hours.
Old 18th February 2008, 20:42   #156
BHPian

can someone tell me what is the effect on the life of the engine after conversion can engine handle the high temperature by the high calorific value of CNG and LPG can the valves and the piston rings handle such internal temperature for long run?

i think that the engine life get reduced?
Old 18th February 2008, 23:47   #157
Senior - BHPian

guruji, my mom's carb m800 ('97) lived to the boring ripe old age of 90k before we got bored bhai's xeta ('dec 06) is flirting with 28k types and none the worse - rest will update as we go along.

PS: Why bother so much - gaddi hai, biwi nahin ki itna long term socho!
Old 26th February 2008, 00:14   #158
BHPian

i own a fiat petra.i got a LPG kit fitted recently and i really didnt find any difference in performance wot so ever.the power and pick is just the same.petra has got a big boot too so i could go in with a big 60 litre tank without compromising too much on the boot space.i feel that fiat and mitsubishi cars run best on LPG as there is absolutely no change in performance.
Old 26th February 2008, 00:52   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Please Opt for a good standard kit from reputed Manufactures, Indian or Chinese Make are cheaper and not neccessarily safer- Look at offerings from Landi Renzo, Bedini- The Best in Business- You could also try Minda Impco.

Rohan Motors gives CNG in West Delhi Also I'm not very sure- But at least the one here in Mohan Co Op and Noida does.

Dealer will have to give you a written expression that, He will be providing warranty on the vehicle for specified duration of time.

If its not written- Then he is cheating you, Cause somewhere down the line He can refuse claim of warranty.

Since its a new car, You can and should get RC Smartcard with CNG Edorsed on it,and insurance IDV will increase by hardly 1500-2000 rupees, in my case Top of the line GLG Xeta it was increased by 1900 for CNG Cover.

These are added costs, and should be done for Legal, Safe and Regulatory Compliance.

As mentioned by Compenn, Ford Ikon CNG is available from Nov 2006, You also have Lancer CNG, Optra-Aveo CNG.

Infact Apart from Maruti- Nobody is in for LPG- Even Hyundai Santro CNG is the most awaited launch of this Coming Quarter.

Optra Deal Published yesterday gives 3 years or Some 1,00,000 + KM coverage on its CNG and Regular Model ( Optra Kit is OEM Shrimanker Bedini, same as TATA)
i would like to clarify here that mitsubishi has come u p with the lancer cedia LPG and not CNG.am seeing ads in newspapers since the last 3-4 months.the ROCAM engine in ford ikon does not run well on LPG.runs better on CNG but its not for those who want performance.
Old 26th February 2008, 01:58   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeguru View Post
can someone tell me what is the effect on the life of the engine after conversion can engine handle the high temperature by the high calorific value of CNG and LPG can the valves and the piston rings handle such internal temperature for long run?

i think that the engine life get reduced?
Yes, there is no doubt that it get reduced, but not to the effect that you will start noticing. The wear will be gradual. The faster effects you may see are on your spark plugs.

Like I have said many times in the past, my M800 ran on kitchen kit for more than 80000kms and didnt have major overhaul needs.
Old 6th May 2008, 08:57   #161
Senior - BHPian

I had fitted Lpg in my maruti versa car. I did not had any performance problem at all. The average with petrol was 9.00 and with Lpg is 8.00, it means there is not much of a difference.

The only point to rember was to maintain the rpm to below 2.5 and then it will have a good effect on the average.

From mumbai i went to gujarat kutch and from there i went to rajkot and back to mumbai. I did not had much problem of getting the Lpg. In gujarat you get the gas at non-authorised pumps.

Basicaly i had a very good exp. of Lpg.
Old 6th May 2008, 15:54   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
i feel that fiat and mitsubishi cars run best on LPG as there is absolutely no change in performance.
I second this thought. A friend of mine converted his lancer to LPG after 59000 kms. Today the car stands at an impressive 120,000 kms, and i must say it still runs like a dream. We have been to Goa and other long trips using the lancer and no problems till now.

My palio too runs without any problems on LPG.

Only thing is LPG has become expensive since the time i converted to LPG. Rs 31 - today to Rs 23-24 in 2006.
Old 14th July 2008, 17:10   #163
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine owns two Swifts. Both have done about 50k kms. Daily driving is about 50-60kms. What makes more sense - conversion to CNG or LPG? And, is CNG available easily from pumps in Mumbai, or does one need to wait in the long queues like the cabbies etc?
Old 14th July 2008, 17:29   #164
Senior - BHPian

If the availability of CNG is good, don't even think about LPG. CNG is wayyyyy cheaper than LPG.
Old 14th July 2008, 18:18   #165
Senior - BHPian

Get the high-tech sequential injection CNG kit. Should cost 50% more than the regular one.
But,this is high precision stuff. Good for engine longevity and no tuning hassles once done.

Most Viewed