Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2008, 13:44   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakowli View Post
Hey can anybody advice me which is a good conversion for Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair.
Should i go for LPG or CNG.
Do you travell out of Mumbai? LPG is available in many cities while CNG is available in select cities. In Maharashtra, at least I am not aware of any other city for CNG than that of Mumbai.

My LPG installer states he has faced problems in Ikon for LPG. Don't know about CNG. You better do some research before you decide.
Old 28th July 2008, 20:19   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
So it seems like CNG is the way to go. Hence two very important questions.

1. Is the cost of a sequential CNG kit, which I assume must be about 75k or so, justified for a Swift that drives 50-70 kms a day?

2. Is CNG easily available in Mumbai? i.e. No queueing for hours on end?
While 75k sounds approximate, Im sure you can get it for a better price,Ajay.
I would suggest you see sequential installs done by the CNG installer and test drive them to be sure you're giving your car to a knowledgeable person.
Old 29th July 2008, 11:28   #183
Senior - BHPian

cng vs. lpg on Diesel Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncer View Post
Do you travell out of Mumbai? LPG is available in many cities while CNG is available in select cities. In Maharashtra, at least I am not aware of any other city for CNG than that of Mumbai.

My LPG installer states he has faced problems in Ikon for LPG. Don't know about CNG. You better do some research before you decide.
LPG , as I have seen are fitted on petrol engine only. Never came across Diesel Engines retrofitted with LPG. CNG is most ideal for Diesel Engines, so you can see them on buses in Delhi and Mumbai. Petrol Engines also can be retrofit with CNG viz., Autorikshaws.

If you retrofit CNG on to Ford Ikon, you can use inside city with pride saying environment friendly.
Dwarak
Old 25th August 2008, 15:11   #184
BHPian

Do you know if it is possible to source the Wagon R Duo's sleek LPG tank (guess its 22 litres) in the outside market? Reason for asking - I own a Swift Vxi and would like to see if I can convert it to LPG (obviously fit this tank) without compromising on the boot space.
Old 25th August 2008, 15:31   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Do you know if it is possible to source the Wagon R Duo's sleek LPG tank (guess its 22 litres) in the outside market? Reason for asking - I own a Swift Vxi and would like to see if I can convert it to LPG (obviously fit this tank) without compromising on the boot space.
Isn't it the toroidal tank thats easily available?
Attached Thumbnails
CNG vs LPG Comparision-sterlingtank.jpg  

Old 28th August 2008, 14:16   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
LPG , as I have seen are fitted on petrol engine only. Never came across Diesel Engines retrofitted with LPG. CNG is most ideal for Diesel Engines, so you can see them on buses in Delhi and Mumbai. Petrol Engines also can be retrofit with CNG viz., Autorikshaws.

If you retrofit CNG on to Ford Ikon, you can use inside city with pride saying environment friendly.
Dwarak
For a Diesel engine to be made compatible for LPG/CNG combustion the engine has to be re-done or re-designed completely as they are high octane fuels so compression ratios/pistons/heads etc have to be redone. The cost of which will be too huge for an individual user to undertake.
The busses plying in Delhi were diesel engines, re-built to accomodate CNG since the volume of busses/engines operating could'nt be dumped for new busses, which financially would'nt make sense rather less than half the amount of purchasing new busses was spent to re-build them.

LPG can be used simultaneously with diesel to boost performance. The process is called LPG Fumigation where LPG is injected with diesel into the cylinders to combust simultaneously. The results, as far as i have heard, are similar to NOS on a petrol car, only difference being it can be used for longer durations and does not do much harm to the engine.
But since this process is fairly new and unheard of, its practice it very limited and so method of injecting LPG and installation(which ideally should be the same as CNG/LPG) is also not fully known. The major hick-up would be the quantity of LPG to be induced as LPG being highly flamable, would pose a great threat to burn with Diesel.

Last edited by abhik : 28th August 2008 at 14:23.
Old 28th August 2008, 14:40   #187
BHPian

Check this link out by GTO for more info(ref. to point 6):-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...rformance.html
Old 28th August 2008, 23:04   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Yes, it is very much available. I had it in my 2001 Wagon R much before the Duo was launched. It should be easily available with authorised LPG kit dealer in any city. These tanks are made or marketed by Sahuwala Cylinders (P) Ltd in India. Their mail id is sahuwala@excite.com
Old 29th August 2008, 16:32   #189
BHPian

Thanks Nitrous & Bouncer! I was shown the big tank and when enquired about the smaller tank they said it only comes OE with Wagon R Duo, i will try other workshops now.
Old 29th August 2008, 16:48   #190
BHPian

can CNG be fitted on luxury cars like a corrolla or say cedia,will a standard kit do or do you need a highend kit, also will the car have to pass a RTO check
Old 29th August 2008, 16:59   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1xlr8 View Post
can CNG be fitted on luxury cars like a corrolla or say cedia,will a standard kit do or do you need a highend kit, also will the car have to pass a RTO check
Rto visit is must after CNG or LPG.
There is one endorsement in RC book as well.
Corrolla can have CNG installed.
There are lot of brand in the market which can be installed.
Money you spend will change 10% to 15% deppending up on the brand you chose.
Old 29th August 2008, 17:17   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjvora_2000 View Post
Rto visit is must after CNG or LPG.
There is one endorsement in RC book as well.
Corrolla can have CNG installed.
There are lot of brand in the market which can be installed.
Money you spend will change 10% to 15% deppending up on the brand you chose.
Only specific brands are approved. It differs for every car. Make sure you get the right kit.
Old 29th August 2008, 18:28   #193
BHPian

so you are saying is that only type A kit is allowed for say a corolla, while type B for cedia.A installer who i spoke to was saying that on certain highend cars a kit could not be installed cause the RTO had not tested the kits on that model,is this a lie
Old 29th August 2008, 21:10   #194
Senior - BHPian

Esteem lover is right. Check the ARAI website for more.
Old 30th August 2008, 09:13   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab1xlr8 View Post
so you are saying is that only type A kit is allowed for say a corolla, while type B for cedia.A installer who i spoke to was saying that on certain highend cars a kit could not be installed cause the RTO had not tested the kits on that model,is this a lie
Not a lie, the fellow probably does not have an approved kit for the Corolla.

Most Viewed