Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2008, 10:30   #166
Senior - BHPian

Rehaan, elsewhere , tanveer was saying that his experience with apollo acelleres has been very satisfactory, and that they are made of harder rubber better suited for indian conditions.
Attachment 71537
Another doubt, for assymetric tyres, why isnt direction an issue? looking at the way they are installed, wouldnt the direction be wrong if the tyres above had a symmetric V tread ?

Last edited by greenhorn : 20th November 2008 at 10:31.
Old 20th November 2008, 10:54   #167
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
1. GC will reduce and chances of underbody getting scrapped will increase.
2. Speedo error

Thanks kpzen.. another question.. Will the same 195/65 R14 fit on Fiesta as well? I'm asking this because in the chart fiesta upgrade shows: 195/60 R14.

As far as GC is concerned, I think there shouldnt be any problem.
Can you pls comment on Speedo error as the default tyres of fiesta have 65 width.
Old 20th November 2008, 14:17   #168
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Tyre Choice for Luxury / Premium / D segment Cars like the Laura/Accord/Passat etc.

Tyre Choice for Luxury / Premium / D segment Cars like the Laura / Passat / Accord Etc.
Hi! Recently procured 4 new tyres for my Laura Auto DSG L&K which had run about 43000Kms.

Since I ended up gathering more information that possibly is justified for just change of tyre for just 1 car thought I would share the same in a new lead. Could have contributed to this info in one of the threads which I checked out or where I myself asked a few queries but that would possibly have restricted the information to just the Skoda Laura owners or been missed out in the multiple pages hence a new post: So here goes:

Tyres that needed replacement were: Michelin Energy 205/60 R16 (upsized from 55 to 60 profile at 0Kms itself)
Stock/Original Tyre Size: 205/55 R16
Changed to Yokohama: 205/55 R16 91W - S Drive - AS01 - Unidirectional.

Research threw up the following points.
1) Most important bits of information are available on the Team BHP - Read First Thread: by GTO - Really Detailed and perfect Information out there:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-your-car.html

2) The Aspect Ratio (Profile) upsize (which is not recommended) that I already had on my car would:
A) Give more ride comfort (Ride Comfort was actually marginally Higher with higher profile) - Ride Comfort did go down a bit with lower (Standard) profile Yoko S-Drive Sport Tyres but it is within the acceptable range.
B) Reduce the "on Rails" effect that a Skoda Laura normally exhibits (On Rails effect was actually only slightly Lower with higher profile) S-Drive adds to the on Rails Effect but then the Steering is also more free so the car does tend to float around a bit more actually.
C) Speedo error of approximately 3% slower speed being shown (Presumably this 3% error would have existed - coupled with upto 7% error that most Speedometers anyway have)- 3% Error is now removed with the correct size tyre usage.
D) Reduced Acceleration and Impact torque at a given RPM/Speed - due to change in the gearing pattern. Infact earlier with higher profile even a slight hump (6 inches climb over 8 inches travel) on the road required to be negotiated at from standstill or in reverse gear meant a taking the RPM meter much higher. Now the car climbs the same humps more effortlessly. Have one such Hump that needs to be negotiated to enter my house and this is much easier now with standard profile Tyres. - Biggest Gain.
E) Reduced life of Suspension parts - Maybe but had not faced an issue will never know. But with the aspect ration upsize from 55 to 60 on the same width I did notice that after the front wheels would go over a speed breaker the Front Shock Absorbers would bounce back with a slight snap (thud sound). This stopped happening after shifting back to Stock Size Tyres.
G) Could cause the Body to touch the Tyres under Heavy Load - This did not happen even under very heavy loads - So this theoretically valid concern was not faced in the Skoda Laura.
H) Reduced Look Factor - Yes Lower Profile Tyres of the same width do seem to be more proportionate and hence better looking and hence the converse is true as well.
J) Ground Clearance - Higher Ground Clearance - The Skoda Laura has a fairly decent Ground Clearance for most Speed Breakers and even with a slightly reduced ground clearance after moving to the standard profile tyres have not found myself bottoming out. Bottom out on the side rough roads only when I forget that I am driving the Skoda Laura and not the Tata Safari i.e. doing stuff that I should not be doing with this car.

HENCE PREFERABLY DO NOT UPSIZE IN ASPECT RATION (PROFILE). Also on the other hand do not upsize on Tyre width either unless, the car suffers from braking/ stability issues or has received a Power Boost upgrade.

3) Tyres/Models/Brands that do well on 1 car need not suite another model.

4) Tyres Manufactured outside India (except in China) seem to be more balanced than the others - Requiring lesser weights during balancing. This is the current trend based on the few sets that I have changed and opinion of the tyre dealers as well. This obviously will change as we get more exact manufacturing processes in places out here as well. This was quite a surprise for me as I had stared presuming that Indian tyres today are comparable with the best in the world. But not quite...

5) Aspect Ratio / Profile / Tyre Size Change Calculator Links to help you decide on the size:

http://swatt.j.porter.name/tech-cent...?action=submit

6) For Skoda Laura unless one Remaps or adds a Tuning box - upsize of Tyre (width) is totally unnecessary. The Brakes of the Laura (unlike the earlier Octavia) are already the best around with Disk Brakes all round. Even after remapping the need for an upsize should to be accessed by actual driving with good brake pads.

7) Lower than 50 profile in general not recommended for Indian roads for 175-245 width range, if one is going to use the car exhaustively. (20,000+ kms per year). It is fine if the objective is an occasional drive, professional racing and of course "Style Bazzi". I though do intend to go to a lower profile from the 55 that I have just gone in for next time round.

8) Warranty on Tyres is not really fool proof, and the vendors do try to avoid/reduce a payout to the max extent possible, so we need to keep all documents with us and this process is a bit of a hassle. Would help to have the "when NEW" tyre pattern depth measured as that is a major bone of contention for defects in the initial period.

9) Tyres manufactured less than 6-9 months back are the best bet. Avoid going in for older tyres upto 1.5 years old unless you get a really great deal on them - 20-30% discount, and avoid older Tyres totally. Avoid Second hand Tyres totally unless it's just an occasional use car which will not be driven hard. Even then going in for cheaper base brand new Tyres may be better.

10) Would soon attach a comparison study that I went through before going in for Yoko S-Drives - But But, one of them did develop a bubble in side wall in the first month itself and would post details of my mixed experience with the S-Drives also soon.

TBHP Do let me know your frank view on the above views. It's always great to learn more.
Old 20th November 2008, 14:20   #169
Senior - BHPian

I think 195/65 will scrape the arches on the Fiesta. Stick to either 195/60 or 185/65.
Old 20th November 2008, 14:29   #170
BANNED

Which are the best tyres for Swift (195/65 R14)

I shortlisted
Goodyear for its V shaped threads - looks awesome) (I'm not sure if 65 comes in this. I have seen 60 though)
Michelin - for the brand name ( Though the thread is a simple one)
Yokohoma - Heard its a good tyre.

Pls suggest.
Old 20th November 2008, 15:07   #171
Senior - BHPian

What are you looking for? Performance, Comfort, Ride, Handling?
Old 20th November 2008, 15:21   #172
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
What are you looking for? Performance, Comfort, Ride, Handling?
Handling and looks!!! comfort tooo..
Old 20th November 2008, 15:36   #173
Senior - BHPian

Limited options are available in 195/65 R14.

Yokohama A.Drive
Bridgestone Potenza GIII
Old 20th November 2008, 15:52   #174
BANNED

Thanks iraghava, if possible can u pls tell me the approximate cost of both the models? I dont want to be cheated by dealers here..
Old 20th November 2008, 17:21   #175
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Rehaan, elsewhere , tanveer was saying that his experience with apollo acelleres has been very satisfactory, and that they are made of harder rubber better suited for indian conditions.
Greenhorn,

I've not had a personal experience with the Apollos. As mentioned, I was just quoting someone whos opinion i valued. Keep in mind, this was also a few years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Attachment 71537
Another doubt, for assymetric tyres, why isnt direction an issue? looking at the way they are installed, wouldnt the direction be wrong if the tyres above had a symmetric V tread ?
Well they are designed so that the inside/outside of the tread takes precedence over the direction of travel.

Theres a seperate thread to discuss directional & asymmetric here :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...cal-tyres.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocritical View Post
....As far as GC is concerned, I think there shouldnt be any problem.
Can you pls comment on Speedo error ....
Speedo error ends up being a purely academic "disadvantage" in our cases.

cya
R
Old 20th November 2008, 17:34   #176
BHPian

My brother's Maruti Omni has clocked a little above 30k kms and the tyres need replacement. He is currently running on the stock tyres. Suggestions on which tyre is best suited for this model required from Team BHP'ians. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 20th November 2008, 17:59   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Limited options are available in 195/65 R14.

Yokohama A.Drive
Bridgestone Potenza GIII
and Goodyear Eagle Ventura
Old 20th November 2008, 18:03   #178
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
and Goodyear Eagle Ventura
I'd love to go for Goodyear but it'd not available in 195/65 R14
Pls refer to
EAGLE VENTURA
for available sizes
Old 21st November 2008, 14:46   #179
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

uploading the thought on various options

Uploading a word file with a table carrying the comparative thoughts on various tyres.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Tyres for Laura L.doc (37.5 KB, 760 views)
Old 21st November 2008, 16:45   #180
BANNED

Enquired about Bridgestone Potenza GIII. Its only available in 195/60 in bangalore. they say the suppy has stopped for 195/65. Pls help guys...

Most Viewed