Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2009, 14:36   #271
BHPian

OHC Stock is 175/70/R13

Upgrade to 185/65/14 if "ride quality" is that you must preserve.

For 15 inch wheels - 195/55/15 and 195/50/15 both work perfectly. I personally have 195/50/15 without a single issue and I know people who have 195/55/15 with no issues as well. 55 makes it a softer ride that's all, 50 is a tad bit hard (comparatively) but looks good
Old 21st November 2009, 16:41   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Tubeless tyres can be used with the steel rims that came with your car.

Your existing tyres can't be used without tubes, you'll need new tyres.

I've personally used goodyear GPS2, Michelin XM1+ and Ceat tubeless tyres on my 800 (I drive a LOT).

Michelin has the best grip amongst these three (and is the costliest).
which of the tyres you used lasted for more kms/yrs.I have used JK for the last 6yrs/35,000 kms.Does the life of tubeless tyres less than that with tubes
Old 21st November 2009, 20:25   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
which of the tyres you used lasted for more kms/yrs.I have used JK for the last 6yrs/35,000 kms.Does the life of tubeless tyres less than that with tubes
The ceat's were actually tube type tyres that the tyre dealer fitted without tubes (this was before I knew better) - I exchanged them after only 15K km's because they started to leak and I din't want to put in tubes.

The next set (goodyear GPS2) lasted me only 30K km before the thread was down to 2mm.

The Michelin XM1+ are my current set - they've done 15K km's already and I can't really discern how much of the thread is gone. They are the best tyres I've owned so far.

There is no reason why tubeless tyres should have lesser life.
Old 22nd November 2009, 11:45   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergus View Post
I can tell you what did not last long: Goodyear stock for Optra Royale... did not even last 20000 . I thought wheel balance /alignment caused the vibrations at 40Kph and above. After much trial and errors, discovered the tyres (yes ,the set) were faulty. Changed to Bridgestone Potenza GIII - high speed and cornering, braking and ride have improved tremendously . 140 on the Eastern express highway seems very safe. Considered Michelin but there were no "performance" oriented in the 185/65/R14 . I am highly impressed with the Potenza. The car feels new- !
Old 22nd November 2009, 20:55   #275
BHPian

Hi all,
i was planning to change the tyres on my OHC VTEC type-1. I want to keep the stock rims for now and have read in the forum that 195/60/R14 is the most recommended tyre upsize, however i stay in shimla and seldom see straight stretches of more than 200-300 meters.
to all gurus: please recommend any particular brand/type/subtype and optimal tyre upsize. also, i run the car in cold(-5C) to warm(late-30C) ambient temperatures normally.

i do like to push the pedal but at the same time i don't want to sacrifice ride quality. i am presently running on goodyear eagle 185/65/R14. also please recommend an ideal tyre pressure. i believe that tyre pressure also should vary with tyre size(correct me if i am wrong)
Old 24th November 2009, 11:59   #276
BHPian

Is it possible to upsize tires and alloys of the cruze to 17 inches ?

the OE is 205/60R16.

I want to upsize to 225/65R17 Goodyear F1 tires and Momo strike 17" alloys.

Furthermore, will there be an effect on the suspension when 5 people sit in the car and will the tires make contact the wheel arch??

Also what would your opinion be with regard to this particular upsize in context of highway driving and will it be long lasting?
Old 24th November 2009, 14:48   #277
BHPian

Finally, after reading this thread (and a few other threads) in minute detail, I had made up my mind to upgrade my Santro's aging tyres to Michelin XM1+. The question of 'what' was settled, and 'when' was answered last Friday when I totaled one of my tires by failing to notice a puncture. I don't like to run risks and having lost my spare tire that night, I had to buy the new set immediately (read next day). Here are the specs:

1. Hyundai Santro, 54,700 km run, Apirl 2005 model
2. Stock Bridgestone S322 running on stock rims
3. Changed to Michelin XM1+ in stock size (155/70/R13)- tubeless tires on steel rims
4. Dealer inspected my rims and declared that they were not bent, nor rusted. In short, rims were in perfect condition
5. Paid 10,400 for four tires, got a Benetton-Michelin co-branded kit as a gift item. This has a wallet, a key holder, a credit card holder and last but not the least, a sexy leather-strap watch.
6. Got lifetime free tire balancing commitment from the dealer.
7. Got alignment done from outside and now I'm indeed enjoying my new set of shoes for my car!

(Cross-posting in the Santro tire upgrade thread for ease-of-reference)
Old 26th November 2009, 21:11   #278

Hi All,
I own a 1999 reconditioned Tata Safari and I would like to know what is the optimum tyre pressure to be maintained in all the four tyres.

Last edited by bblost : 26th November 2009 at 21:54. Reason: Do not quote unless its needed. Thanks.
Old 7th December 2009, 13:08   #279
BHPian

Hello - I own Indica Xeta that has run nearly 30K. The stock tyres are Goodyear 165/65 R13.
Recently (last 2-3 months), there have been several instances of flat tyres (ranging from a multiple punctures to normal single hole to a tube). Also, 2-3 times, my puncture-walla showed me that metal wires from inside wall of the tyres have cause the puncture. He duly applied a beaded patch to fix that problem.
But, I am concerned about the state of my tyres and seriously thinking of replacing them.
My questions are:
1. What set of tyres are best to replace. I am going to tubeless tyres. I heard that Yokohama A-drive are overall good choice considering comfort and cost.
2. Are there any considerations while moving from tyre-tube to tubeless ones? Especially tyre rims ?
3. Which are the best tyre shops / dealers in Kothrud / Deccan area?
4. What is the cost of each tyre ?
5. Any other thing that I should be aware of ?

Thanks. A quick response is highly appreciated. I need the car (with tyre upgraded) on 10th Dec.
Old 4th January 2010, 11:50   #280
BHPian

upsize tyres for i10

I normally go by the stock tyres and being bitten by t-bhp bug, want to add up Alloys and new tyres for my car.

I will be getting my i10 AT by this weekend hopefully. It will be city driving with 2 adults/1kid most of the time.

Please help me choose a right set of tyres, can i do an upsize to 14", will it exactly fit and not create any riding/handling issues. Is it advisable to go for a upsize

What are the recommended options.
Old 4th January 2010, 12:16   #281
BHPian

I know that this thread will have loads to offer as far as suggestion go.. I didn't run thru it all but thought I'd ask my question anyways.

I have an OHC running on stock tyres and rims. I like the feel of the 13" and dont want to move.
I want to know what would be a good combination as in rim size and tyres. for my car.
Old 4th January 2010, 14:41   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnda View Post
I know that this thread will have loads to offer as far as suggestion go.. I didn't run thru it all but thought I'd ask my question anyways.

I have an OHC running on stock tyres and rims. I like the feel of the 13" and dont want to move.
I want to know what would be a good combination as in rim size and tyres. for my car.
Johnda for the ohc if you are looking at keeping the 13 inch rims then the size I would suggest 185/65/13 as this is a little wider for more traction which the stock tires lack. However there is 0.8% difference to the stock 175/70/13 in the overall diameter which is pretty much acceptable.

If you are looking at enhancing the power of the car then I would suggest to go for either 195/60/13 or go for bigger rims 14 inch and select the 195/60/14 usually used in the OHC VTEC.
Old 4th January 2010, 23:15   #283
BHPian

I think the 195s are going to be the better ones. I wonder how the 13" will feel compared to the 14" I've driven the vtec with wider tyres.
Old 17th January 2010, 17:53   #284
BHPian

I visited the Chennai - XL tyre point showroom this weekend and saw the various tyres and alloys for the i10. Nitrous recommended an upsize of 14" rims with 175x65xR14, shall go by the same.

I have given the pics of Yokohama and Conti below. Please suggest any other tyre models for i10 AT as well.

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-photo0377.jpg

pics of the alloys that i liked. zeroing on the multi-spoke alloy or the gold colour one. Your views please.

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-photo0375.jpg

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-photo0372.jpg

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-photo0364.jpg

ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car-photo0367.jpg

Last edited by ikoneer : 17th January 2010 at 17:57.
Old 17th January 2010, 19:12   #285
Senior - BHPian

First two of your choices looks nice. XL tyres charges bit premium over other dealers, but considering the differential cost for this size of transaction, go with anyone whom you are comfortable with. Please do ensure that you get right prices for the tyre exchange. I have PM'd you a used tyre dealer contact, please do check with him before you put your tyres for exchange. I got 3X prices for my used tyres than what XL tyres offered me.

Also, if possible take a look at Haute Car Zone on OMR road next to CARS India as they have variety of alloys collections (though prices are on higher side)

PS: You can also check out Apollo Acelere

Last edited by Surprise : 17th January 2010 at 19:17.

Most Viewed